Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes
  1.    #1  
    Why ? because is it! It can't never be at the same level

Even TP has 100,000 apps, someone is going to say oh but ipad has 100,001 apps.

Even if TP has the same weight as ipad2.. someone is going to complain that TP is heavier, slower, looks cheap.

There is no way to change public opinion... Not because they are dumb.. just they only know Ipad.

But if touchpad can break into the enterprise market and at the same time, it is fun to use as everyday device, it will be a league on it's own.
    Just ignore it. In it's current state, the TouchPad isn't quite there yet. If the TouchPad works for you, then it's all good.
    Hobbz and HelloNNNewman like this.
    Global Posts
    962 Global Posts
    That's bizarre logic akin to saying the original iphone would never compete with blackberry owing to it being new...
    Exactly as how people used to believe earth was flat and some minority has to go a long way to prove that it is actually round. Well just enjoy with what we know and like.
    Global Posts
    165 Global Posts
    OP, you can compete if you know what you are truly doing in the market and and give good first impressions to the customer. Look at netflix for example. No one had ever thought that they could compete with the giant that was Blockbuster. However, they were able to continue to innovate and look where it is today.
    HP can get there if they keep at it, but it won't happen overnight. It will take several hardware releases, and OTA updates before webOS gets to that point.
    Quote Originally Posted by gabe2gg View Post
    OP, you can compete if you know what you are truly doing in the market and and give good first impressions to the customer. Look at netflix for example. No one had ever thought that they could compete with the giant that was Blockbuster. However, they were able to continue to innovate and look where it is today.
    NFLX is flirting with a price of 300/share today!
    I don't think it's crazy for the TouchPad to compete with the iPad, it's just that HP decided not to compete with the iPad, or rather the iPad 2. Physically, the TouchPad mimics the iPad 1, which is a gen behind.

HP could have decided to be more competitive, but for whatever reason, they felt matching the iPad 1 form factor was good enough. For the masses, the iPad 2 is the standard, so of course they will rip on the TouchPad for being heavier & thicker.

The funny thing is, the Samsung Galaxy 10.1 has only been on the market for a few weeks, has fewer native tablet apps than the TouchPad, and has a plastic back (though they also offer one with a metal back); yet many people already view it as the #2 tablet in the market, despite not seeing the sales numbers.

Why is that???.. Because Samsung decided to scrap the old design (which was closer to the iPad 1 in size & weight) & make the 10.1 slightly thinner & lighter than the iPad 2. Samsung decided to compete against the iPad 2, and not the iPad 1; therefore people esteem it higher than other non iPad tablets, despite it's short comings (less than 300 native apps, and occasional lag with Honeycomb).

I think if HP wants to compete against the iPad 2 and future iPads, they can; however they just haven't decided to do so yet.
    Hobbz likes this.
    hopefully transferring some of the design function to the Envy group will make the next TP a super cool looking yet very functional device.

I just left Best Buy and comparing the 2 (TP and IP) side by side, the IP wins aesthetically. But webOS is clearly the superior operating system for my uses.
    Global Posts
    2,060 Global Posts
    If you don't want to directly compete with Apple --- make a Veer --- counter-programming like showing desperate housewives against the olympics.

Nobody told HP that they have to make a 10 inch tablet. Make a 7 inch tablet like RIM.
  11.    #11  
    I am going to disagree with you on this. Yes, Sasumg Galaxy 10.1 is thinner but will it over take ipad 2 ? Will it do better than other android tablet ? not really... So really what's the point ?

Quote Originally Posted by Smartfah View Post
    I don't think it's crazy for the TouchPad to compete with the iPad, it's just that HP decided not to compete with the iPad, or rather the iPad 2. Physically, the TouchPad mimics the iPad 1, which is a gen behind.

HP could have decided to be more competitive, but for whatever reason, they felt matching the iPad 1 form factor was good enough. For the masses, the iPad 2 is the standard, so of course they will rip on the TouchPad for being heavier & thicker.

The funny thing is, the Samsung Galaxy 10.1 has only been on the market for a few weeks, has fewer native tablet apps than the TouchPad, and has a plastic back (though they also offer one with a metal back); yet many people already view it as the #2 tablet in the market, despite not seeing the sales numbers.

Why is that???.. Because Samsung decided to scrap the old design (which was closer to the iPad 1 in size & weight) & make the 10.1 slightly thinner & lighter than the iPad 2. Samsung decided to compete against the iPad 2, and not the iPad 1; therefore people esteem it higher than other non iPad tablets, despite it's short comings (less than 300 native apps, and occasional lag with Honeycomb).

I think if HP wants to compete against the iPad 2 and future iPads, they can; however they just haven't decided to do so yet.
    Quote Originally Posted by rubenfan View Post
    Why ? because is it! It can't never be at the same level

Even TP has 100,000 apps, someone is going to say oh but ipad has 100,001 apps.

Even if TP has the same weight as ipad2.. someone is going to complain that TP is heavier, slower, looks cheap.

There is no way to change public opinion... Not because they are dumb.. just they only know Ipad.

But if touchpad can break into the enterprise market and at the same time, it is fun to use as everyday device, it will be a league on it's own.
    They don't need to compete in a head to head way, that's always going to be difficult for what is in essence a start up venture (first offering in a quickly changing product category), against a well established and respected product.

They simply need to offer an alternate proposition. The enterprise angle is a good one to pursue. They should also consider the perceived value equation - 'bang for the buck' - and make sure their package is a more compelling alternative. A slightly lower price or more stuff (keyboard, Touchstone charger) at the same price would accomplish this. I would gladly trade 90,000 apps and iOS for a sold 50 apps I would actually use and more usability like the keyboard or charging stand (HP- get that doc editing software on the market)

Not all of us care about Hulu or Netflix or watching TV on a tablet - I don't even watch TV much when I'm at home. Not all of us need 'GarageBand'. But a solid set of core functions are needed by everyone. A solid reader, document editing (more important on a tablet than on a phone), appointment and task management.

Not saying they shouldn't add such features, but they don't need to lead with them... because their versions are never going to be as good as the iPad version (whether in reality or perception). And I say that with no sarcasm, it happens to be the case.

And since some of those things will only come with increased numbers, they will then fall into the chicken/egg conundrum. Build a solid product, 'ready for business' out of the box (hey, that would be a good tagline ) and they will have the ability to compete and grow.
    "Sometimes I feel like an OS-less child..."
    (with apologies to Billie Holiday )
    Hobbz likes this.
    The problem is that whichever features the iPad is superior in will just be called the important features. 'the ipad does it right so people are buying it'. While whichever features the iPad is inferior in are simply defined as completely irrelevant. 'who even wants that? nobody, that's why people are buying it.'

You can't argue with success, but you CAN write on the internet that ANY feature is actually THE one that makes iThingies so successful. None of these statements can be disproven, so it's a surefire way of winning internet arguments.

iPhone is successful, so EVERYTHING IT DOES, given webOS doesn't do it better, is why it's successful. webOS isn't successful, so EVERYTHING IT DOES sucks. Prove it wrong. You can't. So it must be true. (yes, that's a logical fallacy. but the internet doth not know about such things.)
    Quote Originally Posted by rubenfan View Post
    I am going to disagree with you on this. Yes, Sasumg Galaxy 10.1 is thinner but will it over take ipad 2 ? Will it do better than other android tablet ? not really... So really what's the point ?
    I doubt it will overtake the iPad 2; my point is perception. This tablet hasn't even been on the market for a month yet, and people are starting to view it as the number #1 competitor against the iPad 2 because of it's design. All the reviews of the Galaxy 10.1 I've read were higher than the TouchPad's. The Galaxy averaged 8's while the TouchPad got mostly 7's or 7.5's.

When I go to retail store's like Best Buy, I play like I don't know anything about tablet's and ask rep's what they think are the top tablet's: they mention the iPad 2 & then the Galaxy 10.1 (I know we can care less what rep's think, but the average person is heavily influenced by their opinions & sales pitch).

In the end, the debate over which is better is just a matter of opinion, and perception/mindshare is everything in the consumer market. If people are already viewing the Galaxy 10.1 as the top iPad 2 contender after being on sale for a few weeks, that goes to show just how important hardware design is. Heck, the main reason webOS didn't take off was because of the hardware of the Pre. So for the TouchPad & future webOS tablets to be competitive and perceived well by the public, it's hardware has to be on par with, or better than the iPad & other top competitors.
    Plenty of room for more than one tablet in the market. Just like smartphones.
    HP can definitely compete. Apple has a lot of built in fans because these people have been very satisfied purchasing and using Apple products in the past.

Apple has a huge advantage with the Apple Store. HP needs to rely on 3rd party salesmen who don't really care to sell their products in Bestbuy, Staples, Office Max.

I also think the simple nature (some people think too simple), makes Apple products very attractive to the non-technical people. I see a ton of seniors using iPhones and iPads now. I bet none (or few) of these people care about multitasking, card systems, advanced notifications.
    Last edited by mobileman; 07/07/2011 at 02:01 PM.
    Well... I'm not worried about this.

This week, one IFanboy told that the first IPhone is better than Galaxy S2...

Do you still wast time with somebody this way? I just agree and "bola para frente" (go on)...

Best Regards...
    "If A Man Isn't Willing To Take Some Risk For His Opinions, Either His Opinions Are No Good Or He's No Good!" - Ezra Pound (Poet & Critic)
    (Happy A Lot, As A Good Carioca!)
    Global Posts
    358 Global Posts
    The problem with TouchPad is that it lacks anything visibly amazing. WebOS is still the best operative OS, by feature and concept. But it does not show right away when you see the device. Joh R. need to admit their hardware department needs some HP help. The old Palm group should focus on WebOS and hardware features definition, but let someone else take on hardware design.

It is good that HP marketing is doing more and better than Palm did. Not it is time for HP hardware show up with WebOS. I don't understand why HP still went with the shiny back, when all user comments and reviews liked the soft touch Pre touchstone back.
    Palm V -> Treo 600 (lost) -> Treo 650 -> Centro -> Pre -> Photon
    SmartFah likes this.
    Global Posts
    165 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ksom View Post
    The problem with TouchPad is that it lacks anything visibly amazing. WebOS is still the best operative OS, by feature and concept. But it does not show right away when you see the device. Joh R. need to admit their hardware department needs some HP help. The old Palm group should focus on WebOS and hardware features definition, but let someone else take on hardware design.

It is good that HP marketing is doing more and better than Palm did. Not it is time for HP hardware show up with WebOS. I don't understand why HP still went with the shiny back, when all user comments and reviews liked the soft touch Pre touchstone back.
    I agree, perception and first impressions are everything. Thats why HP/Palm made a mistake going with a plastic body.
    I was at a local best buy last night.

There were 6 Touch pads on display. Yes, 6! A whole booth was dedicated to the touchpad and Veer.

You know how many people were gathered around playing with the touchpad? me.

I look over to Apple booth and that's where majority of people were. Couple people were checking out the Asus Transformer and were asking the salesman if it was on sale at $399 because price was $100 lower than most tabs there.

I played with the TouchPad...as soon as I picked it up, I noticed how heavy it was. I watched some trailers they had preloaded to get a feel of the Speakers everyone raves about but sadly it was too loud in the store and I couldn't hear them, though I could feel the vibrations in my hand from the sound.

about 10 minutes in, a couple walked from the Apple section to where I was, They picked one up, like me, their first comment to each other was, wow, this is heavy. 2nd comment was on no camera. Yes no Camera, They didn't even notice the front facing camera at first, just looked in the back, and saw there was no camera. The girl then states to the guy, looks like your iphone, but bigger (guy pulls out his 3gs balck and say yah, it kinda does), then they walked off back to the Apple section. For $500, people rather opt for the ipad2.

All this and they didn't bother to play with the software itself. They didn't care because they were so put off by the aesthetics of the device itself. It's not light, it's not thin, it's missing essential things like rear facing camera that even cheap china tablets have. People, NORMAL EVERYDAY PEOPLE, look at these things FIRST!.

Even me being a webOS fan, even I thought the tablet was chunky and heavy (I could care less about the camera).

A tab that heavy, that thick, they couldn't squeeze in a tiny camera?

I'm really sorry but HP is NOT on the same page as the average consumers.

I
    Quote Originally Posted by sdguy101 View Post
    I was at a local best buy last night.

There were 6 Touch pads on display. Yes, 6! A whole booth was dedicated to the touchpad and Veer.

You know how many people were gathered around playing with the touchpad? me.

I look over to Apple booth and that's where majority of people were. Couple people were checking out the Asus Transformer and were asking the salesman if it was on sale at $399 because price was $100 lower than most tabs there.

I played with the TouchPad...as soon as I picked it up, I noticed how heavy it was. I watched some trailers they had preloaded to get a feel of the Speakers everyone raves about but sadly it was too loud in the store and I couldn't hear them, though I could feel the vibrations in my hand from the sound.

about 10 minutes in, a couple walked from the Apple section to where I was, They picked one up, like me, their first comment to each other was, wow, this is heavy. 2nd comment was on no camera. Yes no Camera, They didn't even notice the front facing camera at first, just looked in the back, and saw there was no camera. The girl then states to the guy, looks like your iphone, but bigger (guy pulls out his 3gs balck and say yah, it kinda does), then they walked off back to the Apple section. For $500, people rather opt for the ipad2.

All this and they didn't bother to play with the software itself. They didn't care because they were so put off by the aesthetics of the device itself. It's not light, it's not thin, it's missing essential things like rear facing camera that even cheap china tablets have. People, NORMAL EVERYDAY PEOPLE, look at these things FIRST!.

Even me being a webOS fan, even I thought the tablet was chunky and heavy (I could care less about the camera).

A tab that heavy, that thick, they couldn't squeeze in a tiny camera?

I'm really sorry but HP is NOT on the same page as the average consumers.

I
    And all while Best Buy tell us the Touchpad is their fourth best selling tablet, just behid Galaxy Tab and Asus Transformer.

Interesting...
    Newness Developments apps:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast