1.    #1  
    This is a quick guide. I utilize open source software most of the time, but someone asked me earlier for tips on how to rip dvd's and encode to mp4.

I am a linux user and not very familiar with windows (anymore), so bear with me. The software used is Format Factory. It runs natively in windows and rather flawlessly in linux via WINE. It appears this suite does all formats, but I only use it to get video on my pre and touchpad. To rip the dvd, I use the standard K3B. I'm sure there are plenty options in the windows neighborhood.

You can utilize the software straight from a dvd or make an iso and mount it that way. I prefer ISO since the HDD is faster.

In this example, I'm using the movie War Inc. Recently picked it up from Target for $2, worth a shot.

The Desktop

Interface. Select 'DVD to Video File'

I usually select 'Folder'

I mount the dvd and navigate to the directory and select the video folder.

It's obvious that the first line item is the movie, while the rest are extras.

Select english, of course, unless you speak other languages encoded on the disc.

Select 'Start' and wait.

Once completed, you have an MP4 movie ready to upload.
    Last edited by Calcmandan; 07/07/2011 at 01:54 AM.
    Global Posts
    164 Global Posts
    Does this also decrypt copyrighted DVDs and convert to an MP4 at the same time or will I need to use a different piece of software to do that? I just started usin DVDfab8 to remove the copyright restrictions and I'm currently using Handbrake to convert that file to MP4. Hopefully it works.
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by diddly4 View Post
    Does this also decrypt copyrighted DVDs and convert to an MP4 at the same time or will I need to use a different piece of software to do that? I just started usin DVDfab8 to remove the copyright restrictions and I'm currently using Handbrake to convert that file to MP4. Hopefully it works.
    Not sure about that. I use linux and, well, encryption isnt an issue. I use k3b to rip the Dvd since it has the best support as far as I know. When I return home from vacation, I'll let you know.

-- Sent from my Palm TouchPad using Forums
    Sprint Pre - Resting in peace | Touchpad - Stock and still running like new
    Try using handbrake for an open source mp4 encoder that works on windows linux and mac. No need for wine and does well at encoding movies.
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by elpollodiablo1 View Post
    Try using handbrake for an open source mp4 encoder that works on windows linux and mac. No need for wine and does well at encoding movies.
    This is simply an alternative. In the past, I could never get handbrake to work right. The mp4's would never play on my pre.

Anyway, my point of the post was to submit a guide for another choice.

It appears handbrake works better now. Good.
    w*w.macxdvd.com/mac-dvd-ripper-pro/

Can convert dvd straight to mp4 (h264) format for playback on TP.
    Last edited by db3.uk; 07/11/2011 at 12:46 PM.
    i had no luck with handbrake, so i am trying dvdfab8 and it is making tp ready videos using the default apple tv setting, and pre2 using the iphone.

unfortunately i don't want to spend $125 - $175 for the dvd copy+ripper or blu-ray copy/ripper tools...

the handbrake ui always crashes on me and the decoder does not decrpyt the copy protection...

i'll have to give format factory a try, although i've never heard of it before...