Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree22Likes
    oddly enough the 2 features that I think it requires to completely beat the ipad, HDMI out and a SD card reader, are not on there. The 5 they do are honestly for the most part minor gripes that arent `features` per say.
  2. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post

Instead, I am holding onto my iPad2 while hoping the Opal or the TP2 correct the issues and continuing to use my Pre- because I'm an avid WebOS guy. If they can't even convince the entire swatch of die hard fans...fans who have stuck by them and their phone for over 2 years despite never having any indication that I'd see an update to it on my carrier. I was ready and willing to buy a WebOS tablet, but I wanted to see that they were NOT starting this round of product style similar to the Pre where it was underspecced, underdesigned, and unprepared software wise with "promises" that may or may never happen....unfortunantly, that's not what happened.
    On the same note why are you hanging on to Pre ? its doesn't have netflix or other apps that you want ?
    ilovedessert likes this.
  3.    #43  
    Quote Originally Posted by gbp View Post
    On the same note why are you hanging on to Pre ? its doesn't have netflix or other apps that you want ?
    Hi all,

Dear GBP, touché....you took the words right out of my mouth!

Take care,

Jay
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
    Quote Originally Posted by ilovedessert
    Hi all,

Take care,

Jay
    Would you ever consider a wifi only phone? No? Oh, I guess a tablet and a phone are two different devices that might be used for different things? <<mod delete>>

The TouchPad has almost no value to me until it has video out.
    Last edited by bevcraw; 07/08/2011 at 11:35 AM. Reason: insulting
  5. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by EvilKell View Post
    Would you ever consider a wifi only phone? No? Oh, I guess a tablet and a phone are two different devices that might be used for different things? Grow up.

The primary users of touchpad in my house doesn't know how to connect the video out to a receiver. Even if they knew I don't want them to, besides they don't want too. So I am fine with TP.

As per video out , I have some information for you. Playbook is supposedly the best tablet out there in terms of video out. Better than TP and better than anything out there.

We know the difference between a phone and a wifi only Tablet. That was not the question. It was really about anyone still hanging on to a phone that doesn't not have most important apps (@ilovedesert , I am speaking for you too )
  6. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ilovedessert View Post
    Hi all,

Take care,

Jay
    Hi there,
    I think I know the answer. it might be with the carrier, Sprint.
    Quote Originally Posted by EvilKell View Post
    Would you ever consider a wifi only phone? No? Oh, I guess a tablet and a phone are two different devices that might be used for different things? Grow up.

Ok thats fine. No problems there. Then why continue to post messages in the Touchpad forum when it has zero value to you? Thats like me posting messages in the Android Galaxy Tab forum when I have no interest in it whatsoever. Kinda defies logic does it not?
    ilovedessert likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by sketch42 View Post
    Wow... What updat did the iPad have for HDMI video??.. Oh right.. The one that says BUY AN ADAPTER =P ...
    Oh wow, I guess you missed it, iPad 1 > iPad2. Secondly, the point is there is an apapter. I guess HP will send yours free, postage paid. Lol

Quote Originally Posted by sketch42 View Post
    You don't know that an HDMI adapter isn't in the works for the TP..
    You mean you don't know, I never implied anything in that regard. I don't care, I'm not buying the 7 inch webos tablet for video out, i can already do that since ipad 1. I'm buying it for the webos experience.
    Quote Originally Posted by dcbo89 View Post
    oddly enough the 2 features that I think it requires to completely beat the ipad, HDMI out and a SD card reader, are not on there. The 5 they do are honestly for the most part minor gripes that arent `features` per say.
    I would like to see some numbers on how many people use SD cards on a 16+ GB Tablet (+ 50 GB of free cloud storage as it turns out - plus all those Zumo, Dropbox etc... options) when available.
    Very similar for HDMI. Probably a slightly higher percentage of people might actually use that compared to SD cards. But still of minority interest IMHO (I could be wrong - don't have statistics on that).

I bet that is a small percentage. Probably a very small percentage. If true this has nothing to do with beating the IPad.

My guess is these are the 2 features *you* personally miss. That's fine. So for you the TP can't beat the IPad. Fair enough. If IPad is better for your personal preferences than you should get an IPad.

Given how many web sites still use Flash most people will be affected to some degree (some more, some less - depending on personal usage patterns and preferred sites). For the moment and the foreseeable (~ 2 years) future lack of flash will - IMHO - affect a lot more people than lack of HDMI or SD card slot.

Given that IPad2 AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK $also$ $has$ $no$ $SD$ $card$ $slot$ $that$ $would$ $equally$ $take$ $it$ $out$ $of$ $the$ $competition$. $So$ $the$ $real$ $competition$ $regarding$ $this$ $are$ $Android$ $tablets$ - $which$ $are$ $broadly$ $considered$ $behind$ $both$ $IOS$ $and$ $webos$ $when$ $it$ $comes$ $to$ $UI$ ($YMMV$).

Where's the article pointing out the 5 missing features which restrict Apple's IPad transformation into a TP killer?

* Multi-tasking
    * Flash
    * High quality (well for a tablet) Stereo speakers
    * USB instead of proprietary Apple interface
    * (I would have listed the gesture area here - but HP messed this up)
    * Notifications (IOS 5 catches up and Apples notifications are no longer *terrible* - but still not as good as webos)
    * Just Type, Synergy, TTS, a bunch of minor features where TP is ahead

I would also have liked to list complete Bluetooth profile support - but Palm/HP messed that one up also - still no OBEX(= file transfer). Inexcusably stupid as that has been available on Linux for many years. Though Apple still managed to have even worse support for BT.

I haven't listed openness and homebrew support. That's important to some of us (me at least) - but probably not of mass market relevance atm.
    Pre -> Pre3 & TP32 -> Nexus 5
    Global Posts
    565 Global Posts
    Because I have no desire to watch movies on my phone. Anywhere I could watch a movie or tv show, I'd have a tablet that'd work better for it.

I am hanging onto my Pre because:
    - while thick I do like the general size compared to the 4" slabs
    - I enjoy WebOS a ton, largely due to the fluidity of use thanks to gestures and the gesture area
    - notifications matter a ton more to me for a device that is 24/7 connected and is my phone, and nothing beats webOS.
    - phone batteries suck so the need to charge is larger, and love me some touchstone even though I wish itd do more
    - I don't have a reason or desire to do office stuff on a phone
    - freetether
    - sprint
    - no phone has given me enough incentive to pay for a new phone and potentially switch service.
    Global Posts
    565 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tholap View Post
    Where's the article pointing out the 5 missing features which restrict Apple's IPad transformation into a TP killer?.
    they don't exist, because the thing that owns 80% or more of the market doesn't need to attempt to actively "kill" the competition. Coke doesn't need to worry about how to compete with walmart and kroger brand cola until they actually show themselves viable in the market place to actually successfully dampen their sales numbers.
    Personally, I think the title of the article is the most revealing of the author's bias - while the iPhone is certainly the "trend-setter" for tablets, there is absolutely NO reason why every other tablet has to be "better" than it in every way, because that implies that they must compete head to head on features, instead of trying to differentiate themselves in how they address the tablet market and users.

WebOS on the TP is a completely different experience than almost any other tablet, except for the Playbook (dont get me started, please)... this is the first iteration, and it is NOT an iPad clone in any regard... I tend to believe that future versiosn will continue to differentiate themselves from the typical pad designs, iPad version.xxxx included.

Right now, an Apple product is percieved as the highest quality, and best in its class by the consuming public.. regardless of its real features (NOT taking away from its design and quality build, at all). It's like wanting a Lexus, even though you might really need a Prius, but never even looked into it enough to know that, because everyone else aspires to the Lexus, becuase "its the best".

Eventually, though, consumers do catch on, once they become more involved and experienced... that's when the market matures, and competition really heats up.. we arent there yet, in the tablet market.. but, HP is officially in it now, and that's all they needed to do.. next up is to develop the products in response to consumer feedback..

"The more I learn, the more I realize just how little I really do know!" -Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by LCGuy View Post
    It's like wanting a Lexus, even though you might really need a Prius, but never even looked into it enough to know that, because everyone else aspires to the Lexus, becuase "its the best".
    That doesn't remotely help. There is possibly nothing less appealing to me then likening something to a Prius. You can maybe sell me a Mercedes over a Lexus or a BMW but Prius and Lexus aren't even in the same class. Not to mention the image of a Prius is far from that of Lexus and for a lot of people that image matters.
    You come at the king. You best not miss.
    Quote Originally Posted by SnotBoogie View Post
    That doesn't remotely help. There is possibly nothing less appealing to me then likening something to a Prius. You can maybe sell me a Mercedes over a Lexus or a BMW but Prius and Lexus aren't even in the same class. Not to mention the image of a Prius is far from that of Lexus and for a lot of people that image matters.
    You just proved my point.

(Jusat like a Prius is not a Lexus wannabe, the TouchPd is NOT an iPad wannabe, in any regard)

Thankyou!

Last edited by LCGuy; 07/08/2011 at 06:18 PM.
    "The more I learn, the more I realize just how little I really do know!" -Albert Einstein

I don't often post on forums, but I have to add my two cents this time. I am one of those people who likes to own and try out many different types of devices in hopes to, one day, move away from a computer when traveling. I have an iPad 2, Xoom, and HTC Flyer right now and am deciding which is best. I bought the Touchpad when it was released and quickly returned it for a number of reasons.

1. Performance on the device is quite lacking. It can multitask very well after apps have been started, but opening apps can, at times, take forever for some strange reason. I know anectdotal use differs with each individual, but I try to keep an open mind. I tried two separate devices and found the same issues. The startup time is akin to Windows Vista on a low powered netbook. It's garbage compared to all other tablets on the market. I hate having to "distract" myself while I wait for it to load up (going and making a bowl of cereal in the morning or something to take my mind off the wait). It also freezes randomly, but far too often to be even remotely acceptable for such an expensive product. One of the most ridiculous issues I faced was with emails not showing up and having to restart the program to get it to act right.

2. The camera comparisons people make ar intriguing. People say the Touchpad is supposed to be a business device and so shouldn't need a rear camera. How can this be a business device if it's missing MS Office editing functions? Not only can you not edit files on the tablet, but it is also quite clunky and doesn't display multiple page documents very well at all. If I open an all text PDF, for instance, it takes more time than it should to switch to even an adjacent page. If I try to skip to a page, it takes even longer. This is completely unacceptable for a business device.

3. Entertainment functions are severely lacking for me personally. To me, it would be sensible to make devices that are able to play video in multiple formats, especially considering the myriad of devices appearing on the market these days. I started out with the only game in town (Apple), and I therefore have most of my videos formatted for AppleTV. My iPad plays them without having to transcode them and so do the Android tablets. Even the Blackberry Playbook handles them without a hitch. When I did finally find a video format that actually played, I had to guess, quite literally, which video was the correct one that I wished to view at the time. All it displays is a vanilla video thumbnail that is the same for ALL videos with no title.

4. There is no video output for presentation to others, be it for work or for play. All other major players have this ability. The best I've seen in this regard is on the Playbook. It does pixel perfect screen mirroring via micro HDMI and has a flawless presentation mode setting that makes it far better than the competition.

These are the major reasons why I returned the Touchpad and don't envision myself owning one again any time soon.
    Quote Originally Posted by sinsin07 View Post
    Oh wow, I guess you missed it, iPad 1 > iPad2. Secondly, the point is there is an apapter. I guess HP will send yours free, postage paid. Lol

You mean you don't know, I never implied anything in that regard. I don't care, I'm not buying the 7 inch webos tablet for video out, i can already do that since ipad 1. I'm buying it for the webos experience.
    Ummm... Ipad has an adapter which you can buy. Problem is, it's not "video out" per se', it's more like 'presentation out' since it only sends powerpoints and video playback to the port. It would have to send the entire display out to make it a real 'business device' IMO.

Thanks
    IIIXE>Clie:N710C>N760C>NX60>Treo[600>650>700]>Centro>Pre+>Pre2&Touchpad 32GB
    webOS Themes: star-trek-universe star-trek-future Future Trek for Tpad

My CV: http://visualcv.com/egadgetguy
    Quote Originally Posted by coolihigh View Post
    I don't often post on forums, but I have to add my two cents this time.

-SNIP-

These are the major reasons why I returned the Touchpad and don't envision myself owning one again any time soon.
    What I like about your post is that you didn't call names, argue bitterly, or spit platitudes. And you did tell us why you don't like the TP, not just that you don't.

What I don't trust is that this is one of two total posts. Are you just on here to DIS the TP??? Is what you're saying about the TP true? I guess I'll have to find out myself when MY TP arrives!!! BTW I snip to save space, not to dis the PP
    IIIXE>Clie:N710C>N760C>NX60>Treo[600>650>700]>Centro>Pre+>Pre2&Touchpad 32GB
    webOS Themes: star-trek-universe star-trek-future Future Trek for Tpad

My CV: http://visualcv.com/egadgetguy
    Quote Originally Posted by e-gadget-guy View Post
    Ummm... Ipad has an adapter which you can buy. Problem is, it's not "video out" per se', it's more like 'presentation out' since it only sends powerpoints and video playback to the port. It would have to send the entire display out to make it a real 'business device' IMO.

Thanks
    iPad 2 does this: Apple - iPad - Share what
    Global Posts
    565 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by e-gadget-guy View Post

Thanks
    You're correct in regards to the VGA and composite out.

Hdmi out is mirrored.
    Quote Originally Posted by LCGuy View Post
    You just proved my point.

(Jusat like a Prius is not a Lexus wannabe, the TouchPd is NOT an iPad wannabe, in any regard)

Thankyou!

in your scenario the Prius is the touchpad. People really want the Lexus not the Prius. That's the problem. Sorry Prius' are dorky and effeminate. I'm all for hybrids or green cars but Prius' are hideous. So likening yourself to a Prius is a good way to look about as uncool as possible.

But the problem with you're analogy is Lexus and Prius don't really directly compete. Ipad and touchpad are direct competitors.
    You come at the king. You best not miss.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast