Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes
  1.    #1  
    Despite getting burned OVER and OVER and OVER again with Palm --> HP (Palm user since original Pilot, and day one owner of Palm Pre), I took a chance and bought a Touchpad today at Sam's. Powered up nicely, but never could successfully connect to my home Wi-Fi (Verizon ActionTec router) despite 2 hrs with the WebOS Butler Tech Support. They eventually escalated to Level 3, but told me no Level 3 Tech was in tonight, so I would need to call back tomorrow! In the meantime, the Touchpad spontaneously kept shutting down, and when restarting got stuck in endless bootup screen. Clearly defective. BTW, while waiting on hold, I read that you CANNOT simultaneously sync Palm Profile data between my (falling apart) Pre and the Touchpad. It's ONE or the OTHER. Synergy, my foot! I've got 500+ Memo's that I would need to access from either device.

<<staff edit>>
    Last edited by HelloNNNewman; 07/17/2011 at 07:11 PM.
  2. dec
    Global Posts
    255 Global Posts
    Sorry to hear this . . . bad apple in the bunch. Im surprised there hasnt been more reports of eq. problems --- in fact, I believe this is the first??
    Quote Originally Posted by dec View Post
    Sorry to hear this . . . bad apple in the bunch. Im surprised there hasnt been more reports of eq. problems --- in fact, I believe this is the first??
    I think so. I haven't heard anything about defective ones. You must be very unlucky, I would just replace it not leave WebOS entirely. It (in my opinion) the best mobile OS out there.
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Noah View Post
    I think so. I haven't heard anything about defective ones. You must be very unlucky, I would just replace it not leave WebOS entirely. It (in my opinion) the best mobile OS out there.
    Unlucky and ill-informed (shame on whoever told him that). The TouchPad has no problem with the Pre Profile. Plus, synergy is on the device, not on the backed-up profile.

Maybe it wasn't so much defective as it was misbehaving as an act of protest.
  5.    #5  
    The lack of "Synergy" I'm talking about here is not being able to maintain a single repository of Memo's (on both my Pre and Touchpad) if I use the same Palm (er, HP) Profile for both devices. Furthermore, the Touchpad does not even include the Tasks function. That, plus no (current) MS Office document editing, no improvement of the Calendar's (abysmal) date picking function, etc etc. These, and other issues keep WebOS from being a truly useful productivity tool. The old Palm OS "nailed" those basic PIM features, but WebOS keeps chipping away at them. I've got a half dead "Day One" Pre on Sprint, and no compelling reason now to sick with Sprint or HP. Just bought a MacBook Pro for my daughter the other day. Apple OS definitely has shortcomings too, but it WORKS!

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    FWIW, Verizon ActionTech routers are horrendous. Have to reboot mine at least once a week because it starts refusing to hand out IP's. There's serious issues with them. Something wrong with DHCP and, I believe, NAT translation. Some table's too small in the firmware.

They'll work fine if you don't change what's connected to them and don't do much on the internet involving a lot of connections. But once you start connecting/disconnecting via wifi or even ethernet, they'll start locking up and refusing to route or hand out IP's. Likewise, start downloading a Linux distro while watching Hulu with your kid playing WoW and it's time to reboot the router again.

They supposedly have a new model out that's even wireless-N that has this fixed and I'd highly recommend complaining and having them send a new one.

Might not fix your faulty TP, but it might be something to look into.
    sleepysurf--

Can you try activating using someone else's wifi (can't be a captive portal such as Starbuck's or McDonalds). If you can get it activated, you may find it easier to connect to your home wifi.
    Why not use something like evernote to track everything?
    mafu6, JayhawkOne and VCI_Cell like this.
    Quote Originally Posted by FesterTreo View Post
    If one uses the tools that work, what's left to complain about, and what fun is that?

Seriously, I think this was YAVT (yet another vent thread). I don't think his device was "defective out of the box", it actually sounds like a router issue.
    synergy: both devices sync to the same source, not to each other.

synergy, your foot indeed.
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    If one uses the tools that work, what's left to complain about, and what fun is that?

Seriously, I think this was YAVT (yet another vent thread). I don't think his device was "defective out of the box", it actually sounds like a router issue.
    Even so, HP might have an issue with activation or boot-up where the system goes flaky when if it's connected to an access point but can't pull an IP. Might be causing a reboot cycle. Not sure if HP would have had the foresight to test this in-house. I bet their networks work. And most phones were probably activated with a 3G signal.

What does Windows do during network diagnostics when it has DNS issues or gateway issues? It turns off and on the network card. I'm not sure I've ever seen that work. Maybe the Touchpad is trying something drastic to get network access and isn't very kind in letting the user know what's happening.

I know when the Verizon router gets ********, even rebooting the laptop or pc doesn't help. You gotta go toggle the power switch. It's a WELL known issue with those ActionTechs (the FiOS ones, not the DSL ones).
    It would be nice not to have to make separate cal/notes/tasks entries on my Pre 2 and TP. Only issue i've encountered so far.
    Quote Originally Posted by sleepysurf View Post
    Despite getting burned OVER and OVER and OVER again with Palm --> HP (Palm user since original Pilot, and day one owner of Palm Pre), I took a chance and bought a Touchpad today at Sam's. Powered up nicely, but never could successfully connect to my home Wi-Fi (Verizon ActionTec router) despite 2 hrs with the WebOS Butler Tech Support. They eventually escalated to Level 3, but told me no Level 3 Tech was in tonight, so I would need to call back tomorrow! In the meantime, the Touchpad spontaneously kept shutting down, and when restarting got stuck in endless bootup screen. Clearly defective. BTW, while waiting on hold, I read that you CANNOT simultaneously sync Palm Profile data between my (falling apart) Pre and the Touchpad. It's ONE or the OTHER. Synergy, my foot! I've got 500+ Memo's that I would need to access from either device.
    Why does this whole post seem suspect? Anyway I will try to help. You can't register your device to your Palm profile because of a lack of wifi, you can't sync anything or even use the device. If your wifi is crappy you will definitely want to use someone elses to register you device. My wireless router will not work right with my Pre or my Touchpad. Does your's at least work with your Pre? My router will not assign an IP address to the Pre or the TP. My router is a cheap POS but I won't get rid of it. I gave each device a static IP address and they connect fine to it now. The Touchpad will allow you to configure a static IP address during the initial setup. This should get you through the activation process.
    Last edited by HelloNNNewman; 07/17/2011 at 07:12 PM.
    See ya

Last edited by HelloNNNewman; 07/17/2011 at 07:12 PM.
    LinT likes this.
    It's interesting how the "defective units" always seem to go to the people who have been "burned OVER and OVER and OVER again with Palm".

As Midway says.....see ya.

-Skippy
    BTW, while waiting on hold, I read that you CANNOT simultaneously sync Palm Profile data between my (falling apart) Pre and the Touchpad. It's ONE or the OTHER.
    Im not understanding this... my pre2 backs up all my data to my profile..

Text, call log, apps, email info, calendar, tasks, memos, contacts

-Will the TP Not bring all this info down??

-If Not what Does it bring Down??

and if it Indeed brings everything down.. than the issue is the fact that its a Pre "Classic" as this doesnt backup your texts or call logs.. but should backup your memos

clarification please.... thanks
  17.    #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by FesterTreo View Post
    I've got Evernote and the Inglorious Notes app, but still have 500 older Memos that I haven't had time to migrate to Notes. At least the Pre Memo's automatically backup to my Profile, but I would need to be able to access them on BOTH my Pre (?? if will get a Pre 3) and Touchpad. The Touchpad guide says it's one or the other. If somebody knows otherwise, please confirm.
  18.    #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by kurzweil View Post
    Even so, HP might have an issue with activation or boot-up where the system goes flaky when if it's connected to an access point but can't pull an IP. Might be causing a reboot cycle. Not sure if HP would have had the foresight to test this in-house. I bet their networks work. And most phones were probably activated with a 3G signal.

What does Windows do during network diagnostics when it has DNS issues or gateway issues? It turns off and on the network card. I'm not sure I've ever seen that work. Maybe the Touchpad is trying something drastic to get network access and isn't very kind in letting the user know what's happening.

I know when the Verizon router gets ********, even rebooting the laptop or pc doesn't help. You gotta go toggle the power switch. It's a WELL known issue with those ActionTechs (the FiOS ones, not the DSL ones).
    This is probably exactly what is happening, as the Touchpad showed a blue checkmark suggesting it was connected to my network, but still flashed a message there was no internet connection. At some point it popped up some kind of server error message box, then shut down. Upon restarting, it went into a continuous reboot cycle which I couldn't break.

I returned it today.

I also went round and round with Verizon who wanted to charge me $140 for their new Wireless N router. In the end, Verizon agreed to replace my router at no cost, so I might try the Touchpad again after I get it.

I'm a Physician, and totally frustrated from having seen Palm go from the premier device for physicians to becoming an also-ran with virtually no user-base left. No more ePocrates or Skyscape references, plus lost PIM functionality as WebOS replaced Palm OS. The iPhone/iPad and Android devices now rule, and I was HOPING HP would roll out a "killer" Pre 3 plus tablet, and get back in the game.

Doesn't look good.
  19.    #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by sketch42 View Post
    Im not understanding this... my pre2 backs up all my data to my profile..

Text, call log, apps, email info, calendar, tasks, memos, contacts

-Will the TP Not bring all this info down??

-If Not what Does it bring Down??

and if it Indeed brings everything down.. than the issue is the fact that its a Pre "Classic" as this doesnt backup your texts or call logs.. but should backup your memos

clarification please.... thanks
    The HP Tech person told me the Touchpad would import everything from my Pre Profile, but NEW Memos (etc.) entered on one device (or the other) would NOT sync to one another. I never got far enough to test this, and would be leery to do so, as I REALLY wouldn't want to lose those Memos (as happened ONCE previously due to a problem with the Palm backup).

I'm going to sit on the sidelines for now and look at all my options.
    The HP Tech person told me the Touchpad would import everything from my Pre Profile, but NEW Memos (etc.) entered on one device (or the other) would NOT sync to one another. I never got far enough to test this, and would be leery to do so, as I REALLY wouldn't want to lose those Memos (as happened ONCE previously due to a problem with the Palm backup).

I'm going to sit on the sidelines for now and look at all my options.
    Ahhh.. well ok.. i guess that makes sense..

since different versions of webOS ... i wonder if it will be the same with two 3.0 devices.. like Pre3 and Touchpad
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast