Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by sleepysurf View Post
    The HP Tech person told me the Touchpad would import everything from my Pre Profile, but NEW Memos (etc.) entered on one device (or the other) would NOT sync to one another. I never got far enough to test this, and would be leery to do so, as I REALLY wouldn't want to lose those Memos (as happened ONCE previously due to a problem with the Palm backup).

I'm going to sit on the sidelines for now and look at all my options.
    wait for the cloud. that's when all this would really sync. Create once, save to the cloud which is already set to update on all your devices.
    Global Posts
    570 Global Posts
    I hope you give the TouchPad a second chance now that you replaced your router. I'm betting the router was the root of the problem...
    Visor/Sprint Springboard Expansion Module > Visor Platinum > Tungsten E > Centro (work) > Palm Pre
    ... plus lost PIM functionality as WebOS replaced Palm OS.

Doesn't look good.

I keep bemoaning this deficiency as well. I just can't believe how utterly backwards webOS went with respect to the PIM functions. My PalmOS devices organized my life effortlessly. Now I'm scared my alarms won't go off, cant figure how to make a recurring M, W, F appointment at 10 with a reminder at 9 and ..... well, it's like beating a dead horse at this point.

But still ... why WORSE? And why no improvements in over two years from the Palm peep?.
    The lack of "Synergy" I'm talking about here is not being able to maintain a single repository of Memo's (on both my Pre and Touchpad)
    they did you a favor and didnt include a memo app on the TouchPad, so there isn't anything to sync.
    Quote Originally Posted by sketch42 View Post
    Im not understanding this... my pre2 backs up all my data to my profile..

Text, call log, apps, email info, calendar, tasks, memos, contacts

-Will the TP Not bring all this info down??

-If Not what Does it bring Down??

and if it Indeed brings everything down.. than the issue is the fact that its a Pre "Classic" as this doesnt backup your texts or call logs.. but should backup your memos

clarification please.... thanks
    it brings down elements they have in common. There is no memo app, clock app, task app, etc on the TouchPad. Perhaps this is why.
    Yes, the Touchpad does have a problem when it cannot be properly activated. I bought my Touchpad right before an appointment for my daughter. I tried to activate it while waiting on her using my Pre as a wireless router. Big mistake for two reasons. First, I was in a bad coverage area so the activation process kept timing out. The device is totally useless until it is activated. It started acting weird so I stopped the activation and moved to place where I had a good signal. The Touchpad finally activated and started pulling in information from my Palm profile. However, (second) I have over 1GB of games on my Pre. The Touchpad started downloading them and nearly overheated my phone. Oops! I had to cut the connection to my phone and wait until I got home to connect it to my router. My router will not assign an IP address to my Pre automatically and it was the same with the Touchpad. I had to set up a static IP address on the Touchpad, then reboot it to finish downloading the games. Long story short, don't even turn the Touchpad on for the first time if you are not near reliable wifi. This is not HP's fault or totally restricted to the Touchpad. I had to do the same thing for my Android tablet. It was totally useless until I connected it to wifi for activation.
  7.    #27  
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    it brings down elements they have in common. There is no memo app, clock app, task app, etc on the TouchPad. Perhaps this is why.
    I was not aware there is no MEMO app on the Touchpad. Why, oh why, would they leave something like that out? The Tech Support gal never mentioned that!

Has anybody seen if Google Documents can be viewed/edited on the Touchpad? That would be my only recourse (and still a PAIN to transfer over my 500+ old Memo's).
  8.    #28  
    According to the Touchpad User Manual (on HP's website), the standard Memo app *IS* included on the Touchpad. I thought I had seen it on the Sam's Club demo unit.
    Quote Originally Posted by sketch42 View Post
    Im not understanding this... my pre2 backs up all my data to my profile..

Text, call log, apps, email info, calendar, tasks, memos, contacts

-Will the TP Not bring all this info down??

-If Not what Does it bring Down??

and if it Indeed brings everything down.. than the issue is the fact that its a Pre "Classic" as this doesnt backup your texts or call logs.. but should backup your memos

clarification please.... thanks
    It does bring down previous memos from the Pre's profile. Whatever he read, like much of the rampant speculative claims we've seen was incorrect.

What it won't do is synchronize between the two. New memos on one device won't show up on the other, unless they're using a cloud or sync service.
    they did you a favor and didnt include a memo app on the TouchPad, so there isn't anything to sync.
    Wachoontalkin' 'bout Willis?

It's on mine. Even downloaded that one memo I wrote using the Pre.
    I was not aware there is no MEMO app on the Touchpad. Why, oh why, would they leave something like that out? The Tech Support gal never mentioned that!

Has anybody seen if Google Documents can be viewed/edited on the Touchpad? That would be my only recourse (and still a PAIN to transfer over my 500+ old Memo's).
    It's got the memo pad, and you can view and edit Google Docs.
    Despite getting burned OVER and OVER and OVER again with Palm --> HP (Palm user since original Pilot, and day one owner of Palm Pre), I took a chance and bought a Touchpad today at Sam's. Powered up nicely, but never could successfully connect to my home Wi-Fi (Verizon ActionTec router) despite 2 hrs with the WebOS Butler Tech Support. They eventually escalated to Level 3, but told me no Level 3 Tech was in tonight, so I would need to call back tomorrow! In the meantime, the Touchpad spontaneously kept shutting down, and when restarting got stuck in endless bootup screen. Clearly defective. BTW, while waiting on hold, I read that you CANNOT simultaneously sync Palm Profile data between my (falling apart) Pre and the Touchpad. It's ONE or the OTHER. Synergy, my foot! I've got 500+ Memo's that I would need to access from either device.

Bye bye WebPOS.
    I will be sending you a private message in regards to the inexcusable lack of support you have received.

Thank you for bringing this to our attention.
    Ex HP webOS Tech Support

5Ts: Five ways to get your webOS tablet working again: http://www.hpwebos.com/5Ts

6Ts: Six ways to get your webOS phone working again: http://www.hpwebos.com/6Ts
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    Wachoontalkin' 'bout Willis?

It's on mine. Even downloaded that one memo I wrote using the Pre.
    sorry, I was thinking about tasks...
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    It does bring down previous memos from the Pre's profile. Whatever he read, like much of the rampant speculative claims we've seen was incorrect.

What it won't do is synchronize between the two. New memos on one device won't show up on the other, unless they're using a cloud or sync service.
    ZOMG, I agree with hparsons.

When the TouchPad is activated using a webOS 1.x profile, a cloned profile is created in webOS 3.x which is then used for the TouchPad. It's a one time only event that allows many of your webOS 1.x applications and most of your profile information to transfer. After that, the devices don't have much direct communication (bluetooth call forwarding being a notable exception).
    Quote Originally Posted by EvilKell View Post

When the TouchPad is activated using a webOS 1.x profile, a cloned profile is created in webOS 3.x which is then used for the TouchPad. It's a one time only event that allows many of your webOS 1.x applications and most of your profile information to transfer. After that, the devices don't have much direct communication (bluetooth call forwarding being a notable exception).
    This is a major issue. Specially with many of us using 1.4.x and going for the 32 gb to get the 50$ off. We are again being asked to be an early adopter with a gimped system. When i mean Gimped i mean half(ish) of the features that make the TouchPad better are not usable. The biggest issue I have with this is that until they announce which carrier(s) carry the Pre 3 we have a ecosystem that is gimped. Once the announcement is made we again might be in a predicament that is going to cause us some issues. Will we have to move carriers to stay with an ecosystem? I'm say to say that maybe the "We will make it right" isn't going to be as good as hoped.
    In a world of droid, Pre does it better.

Shouldn't we treat this world like the Garden of Eden and avoid the apple at all costs?
    Quote Originally Posted by EvilKell View Post

is that only true for 1.x profiles? Mine was already 2.x. Other than having more info backed up in the profile (like text messages), is this cloning process different for 1.x vs 2.x profiles?
  17.    #37  
    With the promise of forthcoming OTA "fixes" I got another Touchpad this weekend. Last week I got the updated (Wireless N) Verizon ActionTec router, and the new Touchpad connected without difficulty. I imported most of my older Palm Pre data, including Memo's, but the lack of sync'ing new Memo's between my Pre and Touchpad still poses an issue. I'm going to (slowly) convert all my Memo's to Google Docs, which I'll access from either device, but Inglorious Apps hasn't released a Notes version for the Touchpad (not clear if they will) and accessing/editing Google Docs in the browser is not ready for prime time. I'm also disappointed HP still hasn't fixed the well-described (WebOS 2.0 and beyond) Google Calendar sync issue (some appts not visible beyond 3 months ahead), but will see if the update finally fixes that. I'm also going to test Citrix and make sure I can access our Cerner Electronic Medical Records at work (but I'm not optimistic about that, as others have reported issues). Overall, the Touchpad has potential, but from my perspective is still very much in beta status. This time I bought from Amazon, so at least I'll have 30 days to run with it or punt!
    sorry to hear that but wouldnt exchanging the TP have been easier or one of the options.
    is that only true for 1.x profiles? Mine was already 2.x. Other than having more info backed up in the profile (like text messages), is this cloning process different for 1.x vs 2.x profiles?
    It's actually different than what was described.

When you activate the TouchPad (either new, or Doctored), it pulls down your profile backup. If it's a Pre backup, it converts the data to the newer database format, then creates a new backup of that on your profile page. The two backups are seperate. If you later doctor your TP, the process will ask which backup you wish to use.

If your first restore is from a 1.4.5 device, it will have less info backed up than a 2.1 device (for instance, no SMS backups).

Hope the additional info helps.
    ... I imported most of my older Palm Pre data, including Memo's, but the lack of sync'ing new Memo's between my Pre and Touchpad still poses an issue. I'm going to (slowly) convert all my Memo's to Google Docs, which I'll access from either device, but Inglorious Apps hasn't released a Notes version for the Touchpad (not clear if they will) and accessing/editing Google Docs in the browser is not ready for prime time...
    Might check out TapNote. Syncs with Dropbox, and is availabe for the TouchPad and the Pre (though there's a small glitch with Pre availability right now). The author is very responsive as well.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast