Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By dennis.hurst
  • 1 Post By rot
  1.    #1  
    I just took a video call on the TouchPad from a friend (using a mac) in NY! First time. It worked flawlessly! It was really nice to be able to move around - much easier than on a laptop.
    Quote Originally Posted by kayphoonstar View Post
    I just took a video call on the TouchPad from a friend (using a mac) in NY! First time. It worked flawlessly! It was really nice to be able to move around - much easier than on a laptop.
    Sweet!! How was picture quality?

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    I wish I had the same luck. Grats.
    I haven't had the chance to do any video calls yet, but the voice quality is spectacular!
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by sketch42 View Post
    Sweet!! How was picture quality?

The picture quality was decent - fair to fine - It wasn't like watching a movie in HD or anything, but no pixelation long freezes. I haven't used skype very much but it seemed as good as anytime I've used it on my laptop. And, as mentioned, audio quality was superior!
    I did one yesterday,about 20 minutes. At first audio was horrible, but after a few minutes was fine. Video also improved after a bit.
    In my experience with skype, it is 99% about each person's internet connection, Vera little to do with their hardware. Individual results will vary greatly.
    Where did you download the app? I have searched the App Store but it's not there.
    Quote Originally Posted by dennis.hurst View Post
    Where did you download the app? I have searched the App Store but it's not there.
    There is no app, it's integrated into the dialer app.
    Quote Originally Posted by Beanis View Post
    ha! classic. I'm coming off an iPad so I have "apps" on the brain. Thanks for the help.
    hparsons and totoro80 like this.
    I did my first real one yesterday, and it was awesome. Super awesome in fact!

Global Posts
    25 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Beanis View Post
    What dialer app? How do you find it? Just got my TP, and am clueless!
    the phone dialer, looks like a green phone symbol.
    hparsons likes this.
    Actually I am using the messaging app to find the contacts online and using skype. Yest when i picked a call I thought it was from my pre but actually it was through skype from a computer.
    audio calls work good, video seemed useless at this stage. you have to keep the TouchPad and your head completely still. will not be doing many video calls.
    Has anyone seen a posted video of a Touchpad Skype call captured from the *other* device? Like, I want to see what the other person sees. I believe it was the Engadget review that had a still frame that looked atrocious. I'd just like to see some video that might ease my fears a bit...

-James
    I can place calls through Phone and Video Calls app while messages can be sent through Messaging app. This is very inconvenient, I wish I could simply install Skype app, which would allow me to do both in one.
    In the messaging app, If you tap on the top right button you can place a call directly from there as well...

And yeah Skype is amazing on this tablet. The sound quality is spectacular. The video... is OK... the video you see from the other person is REALLY good (depending on camera ofcourse) and your video is actually terrible unless you keep your hands perfectly still. It's still usable though...
    I just wish it worked in landscape... Since that's how my Touchpad is 99% of the time, either on the Touchstone or in the case.
    Global Posts
    443 Global Posts
    To remove the network quality from the equation, I tried various combinations of my two TouchPads on same home WiFi network and a webcam equipped laptop.

Result: Audio in/out is great. Video in is great. Video out is terrible.

Phones>Ericsson->iPaq->Treo700w>>PalmPre & TouchPad<<PC<-Amiga<-C64<-Vic20<-PET<Computers