Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes
  1.    #1  
    I noticed that If you go into Device Info then Diagnostics in the menu, it lets you choose to test the GPS.. I tried it, and said the GPS radio was working and give me my correct coordinates.
    I'm sure that it is actually giving the wifi coordinates, but it seems odd that the system diagnostics doesnt seem to know that it doesnt have a GPS radio.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonesey View Post
    I noticed that If you go into Device Info then Diagnostics in the menu, it lets you choose to test the GPS.. I tried it, and said the GPS radio was working and give me my correct coordinates.
    I'm sure that it is actually giving the wifi coordinates, but it seems odd that the system diagnostics doesnt seem to know that it doesnt have a GPS radio.
    Yeah, there is a lot of conflicting information about the GPS functionality of the TouchPad. The TouchPad's APQ8060 Snapdragon based chipset does not have integrated GPS, and teardowns of the TouchPad have not revealed any GPS components.
    Global Posts
    956 Global Posts
    Maybe the legendary "communication" coils are really an advanced GPS to GPS communication device so TTS is actually sycing two exact devices with the same GPS coordinates! so really we do have GPS!

mmmmmmm yeah

dunno
    Global Posts
    2,060 Global Posts
    GPS is in the Atheros wifi chipset.
    Quote Originally Posted by samab View Post
    GPS is in the Atheros wifi chipset.
    So is it a fully functional GPS or is it a "GPS" that uses the ip address to determine location?
    Global Posts
    2,060 Global Posts
    It's a fully functional GPS that requires line of sight.
    It is kind of funky isn't it. When I go into Bing maps it puts the my point pretty much where my house is. That's pretty neat, even if it's using my internet connection. To be that accurate.
    It uses WiFi triangulation to locate you. If you're tethered to a phone, it is possible to also use the phones location.
    can someone with a TP do the following and report back.

turn off wifi.

open bing maps.

wait for a fix. Up to 12 minutes in open sky for full ephemeres.

walk 50m up the road and see if the location is tracked.

how accurate is the location?
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveInFL View Post
    It is kind of funky isn't it. When I go into Bing maps it puts the my point pretty much where my house is. That's pretty neat, even if it's using my internet connection. To be that accurate.
    but you already know where you are at home. What's the point.
    Quote Originally Posted by hagster View Post

turn off wifi.

open bing maps.

If the GPS chip is on the wifi chipset, doesn't the wifi have to stay on? Also, how will bing maps load if WiFi is off? The maps are not loaded on the Touchpad, but pulled from the internet.
    but you already know where you are at home. What's the point.
    Tis a big house so sometimes I need help navigating through it.
    jahjahlove and KCTraveler like this.
  13.    #13  
    Itīd be easier to test using again the diagnostics tests within the Device Info menu... just turn off wifi, click the GPS test, then do it again in another location. See if it gives results of any kind. (I donīt have the TP on me right now to try this)

turn off wifi.

open bing maps.

That won't work. I just mentioned about how a device is located: WiFi triangulation, meaning in order for you to be located wifi has to be on with access points in range. The more the better meaning better accuracy.

Think of it as GPS satellites, the more the device can see, the better the accuracy.
    Quote Originally Posted by barkerja View Post
    That won't work. I just mentioned about how a device is located: WiFi triangulation, meaning in order for you to be located wifi has to be on with access points in range. The more the better meaning better accuracy.

Think of it as GPS satellites, the more the device can see, the better the accuracy.
    I know it wont work, but the question keeps coming back up,so I think it needs putting to bed once and for all.

sorry. You need to open bing maps first to cache the map.
  16.    #16  
    I turned off the wifi and tried the GPS diagnostic... No fix. Then I turned back on wifi but a different network (not my home) that was weak, farther away... And got slightly different coordinates. So I'd say its just giving you the coordinates of the wifi base unit... Not triangulating wifi units, since if that were the case it shouldnt matter which network I choose to connect to.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonesey View Post
    I turned off the wifi and tried the GPS diagnostic... No fix. Then I turned back on wifi but a different network (not my home) that was weak, farther away... And got slightly different coordinates. So I'd say its just giving you the coordinates of the wifi base unit... Not triangulating wifi units, since if that were the case it shouldnt matter which network I choose to connect to.
    any triangulation is only based on rough signal strength. It probably just draws a bigger uncertainty ring when you have a weaker signal. Wifi can't do proper ranging like GPS, so triangulation is not really the right word.
    Ok, so after reading all this I can come to the conclusion the GPS is just based off wifi on the TP... I see the update at the end of the article, but basically nDrive is worthless until you can get a 3G TP, is that true?

NDrive HD Navigation now on the HP TouchPad | The #1 HP / Palm webOS Community | PreCentral.net
    Quote Originally Posted by grandmastem View Post
    Ok, so after reading all this I can come to the conclusion the GPS is just based off wifi on the TP... I see the update at the end of the article, but basically nDrive is worthless until you can get a 3G TP, is that true?

[url= HD Navigation now on the HP TouchPad | The #1 HP / Palm webOS Community | PreCentral.net[/url]
    no. There is no GPS. GPS is a US navstar satellite based system. Anything else is just positioning. Pedantic, I know.

wait till galileo comes on line. Then it will get confusing. The generic term is GNSS btw.
    If there is a chip in the wifi chipset, than couldn't WebOS Internals turn it on in the future? Still use triangulation like we would use a-gps to get the lock quicker, but if no networks are available it would still get a lock in say 30 seconds. Then we could use preloaded maps off network. Am I completely wrong on this?
    - Jeff
    Palm Pre- and a 32 GB TouchPad.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast