Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree2Likes
    I would love to just be able to use my Veer's GPS unit when it's paired through Bluetooth. It would make perfect sense wouldn't it?

I find it a bit crappy anyway that there's no GPS in the TouchPad...
    My shiny new TouchPad apps: Scientific RPN Calculator HD - Screamager HD
    Quote Originally Posted by Meltedwire View Post
    If there is a chip in the wifi chipset, than couldn't WebOS Internals turn it on in the future? Still use triangulation like we would use a-gps to get the lock quicker, but if no networks are available it would still get a lock in say 30 seconds. Then we could use preloaded maps off network. Am I completely wrong on this?
    yes. :-)
    Global Posts
    511 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Meltedwire View Post
    If there is a chip in the wifi chipset, than couldn't WebOS Internals turn it on in the future? Still use triangulation like we would use a-gps to get the lock quicker, but if no networks are available it would still get a lock in say 30 seconds. Then we could use preloaded maps off network. Am I completely wrong on this?
    It's possible but there are a lot of factors that can get in the way. Whether or not the hardware is hooked up to handle it and what software level the driver needs to be implemented are 2 big factors.

As it is, the Wifi model can only do very limited mapping when wifi is turned off/nonexistent, so adding the GPS back-end to front-end wouldn't really add that much value to the general consumer. The only scenario I can think of where this would actually hit a general consumer is when they connect to a wifi network with IPs based out of a different area. For example, my work IP address is based out of a city 500 miles away.
    I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess.
    Device history: *free feature Phone*x3 -> LG Rumor -> Palm Pre -> HTC Arrive (3days) -> Samsung Nexus S 4G (28 days) -> Samsung Galaxy S II Sprint Epic 4G Touch -> Palm Pre -> Pre 3
    Quote Originally Posted by Honis View Post
    It's possible but there are a lot of factors that can get in the way. Whether or not the hardware is hooked up to handle it and what software level the driver needs to be implemented are 2 big factors.

As it is, the Wifi model can only do very limited mapping when wifi is turned off/nonexistent, so adding the GPS back-end to front-end wouldn't really add that much value to the general consumer. The only scenario I can think of where this would actually hit a general consumer is when they connect to a wifi network with IPs based out of a different area. For example, my work IP address is based out of a city 500 miles away.
    No. come on peeps. if you dont know dont just guess. or at least state as much.

there is NO GPS. hence, no GPS to aid.

wifi positioning uses the MAC address not the IP.
    The Atheros integrated GPS in the wifi chipset is NOT true GPS. It's a positioning system that uses wifi network strength triangulation, not true GPS signals.

The positioning system is already turned on, which is why nDrive works at all, and it's also why the location services completely stop working when wifi is disabled.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12