Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
    Global Posts
    21 Global Posts
    hey guys...

I am looking to buy the touchpad as a travel companion.

the following things the touch pad will be used for. any idea what i need extra in terms of hardware and software?

1) reading some ebook
    2) watching some movies
    3) able to backup some picture/video from the camera
    4) view said pictures/video. jpg and mp4
    5) edit picture and video? ( not that important)
    6) move these picture into another external hhd?

Other things like getting onto the internet and stuff are, i guess, pretty standard. and should be available as is ( right!?!?)

any suggestion is greatly appreciated...
    kindle and movie service apps are placeholders and should be working soon.

you can use hulu.com and amazon instant movie now.

there isn't a rear camera, but the integration with photobucket and flikr are really nice. And all your facebook pics show up in the photo album.

unless they add a camera app, not much you can do for creating/editing photos or videos. If you do that on your phone, its easy to use cloud services to sync with the TP.
    Global Posts
    21 Global Posts
    hm.. i am not looking towards the cloud to get the 'data'

i am looking to have them already loaded on the touchpad itself. esp the movies and ebooks.

i want to upload the pictures i took into the touchpad... well as a backup of sorts and to view .. and take them out into another backup. if possible.
    Global Posts
    164 Global Posts
    You can always connect the Touchpad to your computer via USB cable and then drag/drop movies and songs. That's what I'm trying to figure out how to do right now since I've never converted a copy-righted DVD to digital format before it's taking me a while,but others have already done it. The HP Play beta is out and people are using that to add music and it supposidly transfers iTunes over with play lists.
    Global Posts
    21 Global Posts
    for photos..
    so there is no direct sd card ( through a adapter or some sort) to the touch pad?
    For a USB SD card reader I really am hoping homebrew comes through and implements some sort of USB Host on the microusb port. Then touchpad would work quite well for me, would be nice to also hook up an external drive though not sure if the power is there to do that for me.
    german8401 likes this.
    I wrote about my recent travel experiences in this thread below:
    http://forums.precentral.net/hp-touc...hat-didnt.html

ps first time I used copy and paste is this post , worked ok.
    Personally, to be my ONLY computer I have with me, I'd want video out, file upload from the browser, and SD support. The Touchpad will work, you just have to realize that you're going to be limited in some ways not having a computer.
    Global Posts
    13 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    kindle and movie service apps are placeholders and should be working soon.TP.

Kindle=place holder, but movies no. Where did you get that from? Maybe that was the way it was pre-release, but movies are working. The application is pretty buggy, but it works.
    1. No file names show at all. Just an icon.
    2. Larger files do not show at all
    3. Download a file manager and they show up fine, play fine. Just drag and drop from your hard drive.
    4. There are other threads out there, but you will have to possibly tweak the rip to play right.
    Global Posts
    13 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by hellhole View Post
    for photos..
    so there is no direct sd card ( through a adapter or some sort) to the touch pad?
    It is somewhat disappointing they chose not to have an SD slot, but... it is a USB device... just plug it into any computer (yes, including linux) and just drag, drop, delete etc to your hearts content. VERY easy to do. You can get a 16gb, 32gb and soon a 65gb storage, so maybe you don't really need the SD card?
    Global Posts
    13 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dcbo89 View Post
    For a USB SD card reader I really am hoping homebrew comes through and implements some sort of USB Host on the microusb port. Then touchpad would work quite well for me, would be nice to also hook up an external drive though not sure if the power is there to do that for me.
    Would you be able to put the SD card in a laptop, or PC and pull it off and then onto the Touchpad? Or is that all you are taking with you on the road?
    Global Posts
    13 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    Personally, to be my ONLY computer I have with me, I'd want video out, file upload from the browser, and SD support. The Touchpad will work, you just have to realize that you're going to be limited in some ways not having a computer.
    Agreed. The two things they need IMHO is HDMI out, and a camera on the back to take photos like the Xoom and Ipad. If I could plug this into an HDMI cable and play it on a TV, that would be awesomeness.
    Video out is not a big deal to me, I've had a HDMI on my laptop and it's been over a year and I still have not used it. But I would like to be able to transfer photos/data directly onto my TouchPad without having to use a computer.
    Global Posts
    541 Global Posts
    Kindle and Movie Store now real apps :}

I put non-skid vinyl tape on the back of mine. Now "sticks" in it's case, and to my lap, etc.

Targus iPad case, Touchstone/AC adapter/USB cord. Verizon Pre2 for mobile WiFi hotspot.

Software: MoodAgent and GoogleDocs, Kindle, SpazHD, and webOS!

Blissful stroll through airport w/o heavy laptop now! (Can't believe I used to carry a seabag through airport as a sailor!)
    Last edited by BBooDoc; 07/20/2011 at 12:34 AM.
    SD slot was something I was hoping to find on the TP too for the very same reason why you want it. I figure I can use the micro usb cable that came with my camera to tranfer the images, just another item to put in my computer bag. Photos from my phone I can upload to box.net or something like that.
    More often than not, hotels nowadays offer either free or complimentary WiFi. However, for those hotels that offer only a wired connection, the TRENDnet TEW-654R wireless router gives you the chance to establish your own secure wireless connection in your room. At $46, it's fairly inexpensive and quite cost-effective for capability you get. It's easy to configure, even if you've never configured a router before. It can be easily had at Amazon. Take a look at the full spectrum of reviews before you buy. As an airline crewmember, this is absolutely essential for me, if for nothing else than establishing a secure WiFi connection.
    There are two webOS file managers in the apps catalogue. Does anyone know if they can be used on an external device? I was hoping to connect my camera's SD card using a usb adapter through the micro usb port. Sure would be nice to travel without my laptop!! Anyone with any experience with this or ideas?
    Global Posts
    775 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tomesr View Post
    There are two webOS file managers in the apps catalogue. Does anyone know if they can be used on an external device? I was hoping to connect my camera's SD card using a usb adapter through the micro usb port. Sure would be nice to travel without my laptop!! Anyone with any experience with this or ideas?
    USB port does not support drives, it is only for power and communication to a computer.
    Quidquid Latine dictum sit, altum sonatur.

Palm III -> Palm V -> Viewsonic Pocket PC V36 -> Treo 650 -> Samsung i760 ->
    Palm Pre Plus -> Palm Pre 2 > Samsung Galaxy Nexus & HP TouchPad

Android 4.1 - Samsung Galaxy Nexus
    CM9 Alpha 2 Official Nightly w/WebCM9 0.4 - HP TouchPad

Twitter: @noseph47
    Anyone attempted to get an Eye-Fi SD card working with the TouchPad yet?
    Global Posts
    13 Global Posts
    OP did you ever find a solution on how to backup pictures on the touchpad from your camera? I am going to be traveling with a Touchpad and no laptop and would like to backup my photos.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast