1.    #1  
    I've never been a fan of wifi myself, always having preferred wired networks. So far all of my Touchpad networking has been done over a Sprint 3G/4G mifi, the performance of which from inside my apartment is not quite up to par(at best I get 20% signal strength on 4G, and am kind of concerned about 5GB data cap on 3G) so I decided to try a faster alternative.

About 7 years ago I picked up a Linksys WRT54G (heard good things about it at the time), flashed dd-wrt firmware on it and then put it in storage, until tonight.

I brought it out again, put the newer version of WRT54G on it, and hooked it to my LAN.

It defaults to channel 6, and the touchpad immediately picked up on it and network access was fine.

However given there are nearly 30 access points advertising near my location at my apartment I decided it may be a good idea to try to choose a channel that is less used than others in order to improve signal quality (as-is the WRT54G is reporting about 75% signal strength to the Touchpad which is located within 5 feet of the router).

So I did some checking, and decided to switch to channel 13. I did, and my laptop picked up on it no problem (Ubuntu). But touchpad did not see the SSID anymore, and attempting to manually connect failed it just hung.

So I switched to channel 12. Same result.

So I pulled out my Pre- which is on it's death bed, earlier today it was working ok but now for some reason it turned itself off, so I turned it on again, and enabled wifi, and it could see my AP on channel 12 no problem. I could not login because the keyboard on the Pre- was in a non functional state at the time, but the SSID popped right up.

Still nothing on the touchpad.

Switched to channel 11 and the touchpad came to life, immediately detecting the AP and logging into it.

The AP is a Linksys WRT54G/GL/GS

As far as I know it only supports 802.11b and g, not a.

I would not expect a wifi radio to not function on frequencies which seem to be standard for wifi, so am kind of confused. Since both my laptop and Pre- were able to connect I suspect the issue is Touchpan specific. While Ubuntu does not (why not??) display channels of various SSIDs (that I know of) I installed another tool wifi-radar, which confirmed that my AP was using the channel I configured it to use.

I used this site as a reference for frequency overlap, has a nice illustrated guide -
    How to chose the right WiFi channel

Is anyone else running wifi on channels 12, or 13 (or 14?) and have the Touchpad working with it?

I suspect channel 11 will be fine for me given the low data volume I have, there are 4 other APs in range of my laptop that are on that channel, vs 12 on channel 6, and 7 on channel 1 (and those are just the ones that are broadcasting at that particular instant).

Since it's been so long since I played with wifi I have to say the state of wireless scanning tools on linux is pretty poor now, so many tools haven't been touched in 5-6-7+ years I was quite surprised, it used to be such a common thing 'back in the day', I guess times have changed.

nate
    Given the TouchPad is only out in the US, FCC rules only allows up to 11. Channels beyond that are only allowed in Europe and Japan.
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLIÉ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
  3.    #3  
    interesting, ok that makes some sense, odd that the laptop and Pre- work on those! I can understand the hacked firmware on the router since it's not official.

looking at wikipedia it seems that channel 12 and 13 are allowed under low power conditions

"In the USA, 802.11 operation in the channels 12 and 13 is actually allowed under low powered conditions. The 2.4 GHz Part 15 band in the US allows spread-spectrum operation as long as the 50-dB bandwidth of the signal is within the range of 2400–2483.5 MHz"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_WLAN_channels

thanks for the info
    (my laptop is now picking up 42 APs broadcasting SSIDs, crazy)
    Last edited by natepre509; 07/06/2011 at 12:55 AM.