Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes
  1.    #1  
    I'd like to see the ability to disable flash but still have the browser be usable. Right now when you disable flash, it seems to cripple my Touchpad browser.

"if youve noticed this, please post up your experience"
    Last edited by demetry14; 07/10/2011 at 07:00 PM. Reason: Title Update
    16 Candles, The Breakfast Club SB, Friday SB, App Catalog Fix, Palm Pre/Pixi - USB Modem, TMC Workaround, SCRIM Changing OTF

The fastest way to install Preware on your WebOS device.
    Put your device in Developer mode.
    From your PC download the Preware installer from http://get.preware.org
    Run the Preware installer while the WebOS device is connected with the USB cable to your PC.
    Vualla Preware is installed.]
    Quote Originally Posted by demetry14 View Post
    I'd like to see the ability to disable flash but still have the browser be usable. Right now when you disable flash, it seems to cripple my Touchpad browser.

"if youve noticed this, please post up your experience"

Devs with the knowledge let us know what you think about a patch possibility.
    +1 on this. Flash is not what I want. Give me ipad like videos on sites that support it
    I get a reboot after turning off/on flash in browser
    Is there a way to change the user agent? Does the TP browser even have an option to poke into that? Is there a debug menu in the browser like on Android (about:debug)?
    .....Life is But Such Sweet Sorrow.....
    Quote Originally Posted by Merovingian View Post
    Is there a way to change the user agent? Does the TP browser even have an option to poke into that? Is there a debug menu in the browser like on Android (about:debug)?
    not a setting regular users can see
  6.    #6  
    I would pay for a patch that gave me the ability to turn off flash and retain browsing ability without the "?" everywhere. I believe the user-agent would make all the difference, but I am not able to do or test any of this till I have free time "which may be never".
    16 Candles, The Breakfast Club SB, Friday SB, App Catalog Fix, Palm Pre/Pixi - USB Modem, TMC Workaround, SCRIM Changing OTF

Run the Preware installer while the WebOS device is connected with the USB cable to your PC.
  7.    #7  
    FYI about:debug shows the user agent.

Quote Originally Posted by demetry14 View Post
    FYI about:debug shows the user agent.
    Are there any options to select something else?
    .....Life is But Such Sweet Sorrow.....
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by Merovingian View Post
    Are there any options to select something else?
    no, its a static page.

Ive gotta work, so if anyone figures anything out good, otherwise I'll see what I can come up with sometime soon.

10.    #10  
    this might help, but I don't have time to make changes. If anyone knows what they are doing... Could you see if any of this could apply to the touchpad.

http://forums.precentral.net/1855714-post1.html

11.    #11  
    I have a little time to research where the user-agent is.

"I think this is right, its been a long day!!!"
    "grep -H -r “user-agent” /*"

this is awesome. The past 2 years people complained about not having the promised flash and touted how palm had or would have flash support while iphones and ipads didn't have it. Now we want to disable flash and have ipad type browsing?

which is it? Let me guess, it's both.
    Quote Originally Posted by Midway99 View Post
    this is awesome. The past 2 years people complained about not having the promised flash and touted how palm had or would have flash support while iphones and ipads didn't have it. Now we want to disable flash and have ipad type browsing?

which is it? Let me guess, it's both.
    Yeah I find that kinda odd as well. Isn't the whole point of getting the Touchpad is to have flash browsing? Browsing most similar to a PC?
  14.    #14  
    Actually, I want the best of both worlds because while having flash is good and makes the web more usable "The iPad is lacking a major factor of usability". But also, if I browse sites while my battery is low having the ability to turn the flash completely off and still have some kind of basic but functional web experience will allow me to use the Touchpad for that much longer.

So it not a matter of Flash not being what I want, it is a matter of having what I want when I want it... Flash Full ON 8hr battery life/ Flash Full OFF 8-10hr battery life.

"YOU SHOULD REALLY THINK OF THE BENEFITS INSTEAD OF THINKING DOWN ON THINGS"

IcerC likes this.
    Global Posts
    154 Global Posts
    Wait whoa

Why in the heck would anyone want to use a Tablet with flash disabled.... when it was designed to use flash to its fullest....

If you want a Ipad experience , buy a ipad , simple , there are plenty on used adds and ebay and i am sure you can sell your touchpad to cover most of the cost of a ipad....

Hey let me buy a ford , but darn it , i want it to feel like a Honda!!!!!!!!!
    Midway99 likes this.
  16.    #16  
    Back on track here... I have changed my search string from the above to this:

grep -H -r "Mozilla/5.0 (hp-tablet; Linux; hpwOS/3.0.0; U; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.6 (KHTML, like Gecko) wOSBrowser/233.70 Safari/534.6 TouchPad/1.0" /*

So basically what it is doing is scanning every file for the string "Mozilla/5.0 (hp-tablet; Linux; hpwOS/3.0.0; U; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.6 (KHTML, like Gecko) wOSBrowser/233.70 Safari/534.6 TouchPad/1.0". Which is the current user agent for the HP TouchPad.

This way I do not have to sit here and wait for it to finish... I can use my other tablet in the meantime.

I'm a bit confused. Do you want a flash experience more like what we see on the Pre2/Veer? Not sure why you want flash to work in the manner found on a device that doesn't support flash...(?)

and can you post a link to pages that illustrate what you don't like? So far I have found the flash on the TP to be unobtrusive but useful. I'd go for some clarification IF it doesn't go off topic or start an argument.
  18.    #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    I'm a bit confused. Do you want a flash experience more like what we see on the Pre2/Veer? Not sure why you want flash to work in the manner found on a device that doesn't support flash...(?)

and can you post a link to pages that illustrate what you don't like? So far I have found the flash on the TP to be unobtrusive but useful. I'd go for some clarification IF it doesn't go off topic or start an argument.
    When you disable flash "TO SAVE BATTERY" all pages recognize the browser as being flash enabled even though you disable it and they will not change from flash to html5 browsing if the site is capable of doing so... For instance YOUTUBE.

I am just trying to figure out how to change the user agent so when I want a 12+hr battery life I can still browse sites that support HTML5 when flash is off. & changing the user-agent will allow for this.

Sounds like there needs to be an "on demand " feature with flash similarly to android devices. Or take note of the ipad URL and bookmark those.

Sent from my HTC Evo.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brain Mantis View Post
    Sounds like there needs to be an "on demand " feature with flash similarly to android devices. Or take note of the ipad URL and bookmark those.

Sent from my HTC Evo.
    this is exactly what we want! Choice!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast