1.    #1  
    Hi all,

FYI!!!!! Please see link.

Take care,

Jay

HP: The TouchPad isn't meant to take down the iPad
    By Ricardo Bilton | July 5, 2011, 12:42pm PDT

HP: The TouchPad isn't meant to take down the iPad | ZDNet

HP’s TouchPad may have had a lot of promise, but reception to the most recent iPad competitor has so far been pretty subdued. In particular, most reviewers haven’t been able to answer the question of whether they could recommend the TouchPad over the iPad.

That question, HP says, is missing the point. According to HP vice president of Worldwide Developer Relations Richard Kerris, HP’ approach with the TouchPad is more than just the tablet. “It’s about the OS, the ecosystem and connecting devices like phones, printers, tablets and computers together,” Kerris told The Loop.

Kerris said that HP’s real mission was to target the enterprise space, not just the consumer sphere. That’s a very different approach from other tablet competitors, who have across the board positioned their tablets as the devices that will dethrone the iPad. That, of course, hasn’t happened. It’s refreshing to see HP take a different approach to the tablet market.
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
  2.    #2  
    Hi all,

The above article refers to this article posted just below.

Take care,

Jay

Interview: HP says Apple is not TouchPad’s target
    By Jim Dalrymple
    JUNE 30, 2011, 4:32 PM PT

Interview: HP says Apple is not TouchPad’s target

HP’s TouchPad tablet hits stores tomorrow, and while the device is being compared to Apple’s iPad 2, an HP executive told The Loop that’s not its target market.

In an interview with The Loop, Richard Kerris, HP’s vice president of Worldwide Developer Relations, said that HP is focused on more than just the TouchPad.
    “It’s not just about the tablet,” said Kerris. “It’s about the OS, the ecosystem and connecting devices like phones, printers, tablets and computers together.”

Kerris explained that once you setup a webOS profile, it’s always with you. Calling webOS “a true cloud initiative that’s functioning today,” he said that webOS’ Synergy will seamlessly sync calendars, emails, photos and other files, across all of your webOS devices.

“These are the subtle things, but they matter so much to individuals,” said Kerris.

Of course, Apple’s iOS 5 and iCloud will have the same types of features when it’s released in the Fall, but for now, webOS has this functionality as part of its core. Apple is also making other changes that webOS already does. For instance, the initial setup of the device.

“We’re the tablet that when you take it out of the box it doesn’t ask you to connect to something to get started,” said Kerris, referring to the need to plug in an iPad to a computer.

However, the early reviews were not glowing for the TouchPad. Responding to the mixed bag of reviews, Kerris said that the things mentioned will be fixed with over-the-air updates.

“As long as you have a plan, you’ll be fine,” said Kerris.

One of the advantages that Apple has over its competition is the developer community. However, Kerris said that interest in webOS has been high from new developers. In fact, he said, in the past 45 days more than 400 developers have attended one or two-day webOS workshops in California. Kerris noted that the workshops are already booked over the summer.

HP acknowledged Apple’s dominance in the tablet market, but said Apple wasn’t its target with the TouchPad.

“We think there’s a better opportunity for us to go after the enterprise space and those consumers that use PCs,” said Kerris. “This market is in it’s infancy and there is plenty of room for both of us to grow.”

HP’s views are totally different than most of its competition. From Android tablets to RIM’s PlayBook, tablet makers have entered the market with the intention of dethroning Apple.

HP seems to have a saner view of the situation.

“We think the world of Apple and have the utmost respect for their products,” said Kerris. “It would be ignorant for us to say that we are going to take it [the market] away from Apple.”

Of course, the another advantage that Apple has over its competition is iTunes. The integration of music, TV shows, movies, apps, books and other media gives Apple a lead in the market when attracting new buyers. But maybe not for long.

HP said they would also have stores that offer many of these media options to its customers.

If there is one thing that was clear speaking with Kerris it was that HP is focused on more than just launch day. They have a plan.

The company’s plan doesn’t just include the TouchPad, but will integrate printers, phones, computers and other devices, all running webOS. This will be the core of HP’s strategy going forward.

With a growing developer network and a high volume of shipping products, HP is looking towards 2012, 2013 and beyond, not at tomorrow or next week. Many companies, including RIM have already proven that short term goals don’t work, so it will be interesting to see how HP’s works.

While I haven’t used webOS 3.0, I have used older versions of the OS and liked it. This, in addition to its long term strategy, should be enough to give HP a strong position in market.
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
    lukehale likes this.
    lol, he can't say it, doesn't mean other people can't see it, look at the thing, the shape, the size, the resolution, the price.
    I think that HP does want to target the touchpad, but they are definitely taking the correct approach, especially with tablets being so new to the market. When new things are launched it is best to give it to businesses, especially large corporations, because theh make it less expensive, thus, it ends up being better for consumers. Thats how it is with everything. Give to corporations first, let the unigs increase productivity, then they will buy enough to make the per unit cost very low, and consumers buy the rest. Plus, enterprise users will get better use out of the great capabilities of the touchpad.
    I think the entire argument that the TouchPad wasn't intended to go up against the iPad was HP's way of saying that the TouchPad's failures were intentional. Kinda like when the dwarf falls off the horse in Lord of the Rings. "It was deliberate!!!" LOL.

I have news for HP. The iPad 2 is breaking into the corporate world, and PC users like it, too.
    I don't get HP. You get one VP saying they will be "number one plus", then you get another VP saying they aren't targetting Apple. Well, what is it HP?

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Global Posts
    165 Global Posts
    I look at the price point and specs and its pretty clear who HP is completing against.
    Quote Originally Posted by rsanchez1 View Post
    I don't get HP. You get one VP saying they will be "number one plus", then you get another VP saying they aren't targetting Apple. Well, what is it HP?

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums - No gesture area! = no gestures!

BTW - what do you mean when you say "No gesture area! = no gestures!"? Sorli...