Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
Like Tree45Likes
  1.    #1  
    I really think a lot of the reviews are not seeing the true advantage of having a GREAT (at least it is 99% of the time for me) Flash experience and level of support on this device. The more I use my Touchpad the more I realize how much the Flash support cancels out the need for a massive number of Apps that I would need otherwise. In most cases I prefer the full web and fully functional version of a lot of things much better than any App version I have seen on any platform anyway.

Some reviews have mentioned it yes, but I don't feel it has gotten the attention it deserves. Maybe because Android has Flash support too, it is not seen as quite as big of a differentiator? I really think the same "Plus" should be given to Android as well, because the same advantage applies, or at least it would if it worked as fluidly as it does in webOS.

The thing that makes webOS come out ahead there is having multitasking on top of that. Flash + Cards = An internet's worth of "Apps" that I don't have to purchase or find to use. It just works, no bandaid required. If flash didn't run so well, it would be a different story.

At least for me, that is just one more thing that makes Apple's 8 bajillion Apps number hold considerably less weight, and my choice of the Touchpad that much more satisfying.
    Quote Originally Posted by lukehale View Post
    The more I use my Touchpad the more I realize how much the Flash support cancels out the need for a massive number of Apps that I would need otherwise.
    Care to give an example or two of sites where Flash invalidates the need for a mobile app?

If flash didn't run so well, it would be a different story.
    You seem to be one of the few (or only?) people that have no issues with Flash on the touchpad (or any tablet or device for that matter).
    Global Posts
    787 Global Posts
    XFinity TV would be one example, except that all the HBO content is silverlight and won't work.

The problem is that flash seems to be my only crasher on the TP
    Apps: MyQ for Netflix (Phone/TouchPad), Giantbomb (Phone), Excavate (Reddit/Digg clients for TouchPad)
    Quote Originally Posted by mosdl View Post
    XFinity TV would be one example, except that all the HBO content is silverlight and won't work.

The problem is that flash seems to be my only crasher on the TP
    That may be true, until you learn about the major disadvantage Flash is when compared to a native app (or HTML 5) due to battery performance.
    Flash underrated?
    To me it's way overrated? I don't miss it on my palm pre phone. So i don't think i'd use it often on a tablet. Flash is more of an annoyance. If the site is totally in flash yes that's an issue. But i don't really encounter those too often in my desktop browsing let alone my mobile browsing. It's a big deal for some. For me it's not a big deal.
    You come at the king. You best not miss.
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by barkerja View Post
    That may be true, until you learn about the major disadvantage Flash is when compared to a native app (or HTML 5) due to battery performance.
    Agreed on the battery life thing, can't really argue with that point. And though HTML 5 uses less battery, it also tends to have less performance, I guess that one is kind of a trade-off :\ . But luckiky we have HTML 5 too.
  7.    #7  
    Oddly enough I have been thus far lucky enough that I really have had almost no issues with flash on my Touchpad. That doesn't mean zero of course, but it leaps and bounds over any android device I have used. It isn't perfect, it is Flash afterall, but I think it's a pretty good starting point for HP to build on considering how well it outperforms android, and of course the non-existant Flash on the iPad.
    Oddly enough I have been thus far lucky enough that I really have had almost no issues with flash on my Touchpad. That doesn't mean zero of course, but it leaps and bounds over any android device I have used. It isn't perfect, it is Flash afterall, but I think it's a pretty good starting point for HP to build on considering how well it outperforms android, and of course the non-existant Flash on the iPad.
    But that's the thing. People with iPads aren't complaining about the lack of Flash due to sites content adapting. There's actually another thread here complaining about Youtube not falling back to HTML 5 (like it does on the iPad) when Flash is disabled on the device.

More often than not, HTML 5 outperforms Flash when playing video.
  9.    #9  
    Yea, i guess i should have called it "Flash potentially underrated". Admittedly not everyone seems to have been as lucky with Flash as me.
    Yea, i guess i should have called it "Flash potentially underrated". Admittedly not everyone seems to have been as lucky with Flash as me.
    Yeah, I think we're saying the same thing as the Pre, where some people's Pre (or Touchpad) perform better than others. It's like how some people can overclock to 1.2GHz and others can't handle 800MHz.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Global Posts
    165 Global Posts
    The thing with flash on a tablet is that your basically limited to only flash videos and games with no functional right click implemented into the OS.
    I love Flash and use it every day on almost every website I look at on a daily basis.

Most of us are Tech junkies and browse the NUMEROUS tech websites and blogs for new information. One out of every 5 articles has video in some form and fashion that is not viewable without flash of a Youtube video app. I like being able to pull up the full Youtube interface, post comments, and for that matter simply login to my Youtube account. Can't do that from the webOS app and I'd suspect not from the IOS app either. Apps are great when the fill a purpose that doesn't exist, but last I checked Flash works pretty well on my TouchPad and that's all I need.

Flash brings me, Hulu, CBS, Fox News, and the lists goes on right out of the webOS box. Does Flash deserve more attention, probably since Apple has given it such a bad name in the guise of serving the community. The only reason Apple does not like Flash is because it ran like crap on their outdated two year old operating system.

Oh and I almost forgot, Apple can't make money on Apps if people bypass and use Flash. Sorli...
    Last edited by sorli; 07/05/2011 at 11:25 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by barkerja View Post
    More often than not, HTML 5 outperforms Flash when playing video.
    This really couldn't be further from the truth.
    TheDewWorm and Zer0fluX like this.
    Worked great for me, watched the palmcast this evening without a hicup.
    sorli likes this.
    I think a lot of people are missing the point about flash. It's not just about streaming video. I use a site called purevolume.com to find out about new music and its media player system is all flash. On a TP demo I was able to load and play several songs, put the browser into card view and move along to another task while the music did not pause once. This is the type of experience I am hoping to get out of a tablet.
    I am, therefore I think
    Quote Originally Posted by etx View Post
    This really couldn't be further from the truth.
    Really? Since you're trying to dispute what I'm saying here, please provide evidence to back it up.
    Quote Originally Posted by sorli View Post
    I love Flash and use it every day on almost every website I look at on a daily basis.

Most of us are Tech junkies and browse the NUMEROUS tech websites and blogs for new information. One out of every 5 articles has video in some form and fashion that is not viewable without flash of a Youtube video app. I like being able to pull up the full Youtube interface, post comments, and for that matter simply login to my Youtube account. Can't do that from the webOS app and I'd suspect not from the IOS app either. Apps are great when the fill a purpose that doesn't exist, but last I checked Flash works pretty well on my TouchPad and that's all I need.

Flash brings me, Hulu, CBS, Fox News, and the lists goes on right out of the webOS box. Does Flash deserve more attention, probably since Apple has given it such a bad name in the guise of serving the community. The only reason Apple does not like Flash is because it ran like crap on their outdated two year old operating system.

Oh and I almost forgot, Apple can't make money on Apps if people bypass and use Flash. Sorli...
    Everything you listed here is available to other platforms that don't have Flash either through native applications and/or HTML 5.

I will prove it if you don't believe it.
    Someone posted a message on another thread comparing the performance of Flash vs HTML5 and Flash was way ahead. Now that may change in the future, but we're surfing websites now. As much as I hate the advertising with Flash, I almost find it a necessity when viewing video reviews or movie clips of games, etc. And no, my ipad wasn't able to play them.
    i agree with snotboogie ... i think flash is overrated. and think ipad sales do reflect that or at the very least has forced change where there has been change and many site are using alternatives if possible.

if you are a person and your daily habits find you going to flash sites daily then you clearly need flash ability.

but i personally rarely run into them using an ipad2. if i did find it an issue... i wouldnt buy the ipad... honestly. yes i do find it annoying though in those rare instances. or think it would be cute for my daughter to load up clubpenguin.com. but not an issue.

yes, at times you can find an app to compensate but dont know what the big deal about hating apps is about. nothing wrong with them. they probably run smoother in app environment then flash environment on a mobile device... also can be optimize too as far as screen size and touch features...

i dont need to use the etrade app and with the ipad2 cause its not a flash site i can go straight to the site... but i find it nicer to use the app.

you have plenty of storage on your device so its nice having the app handy. you can sometimes run some of those apps offline and save some data locally which i prefer over cloud. and also having apps locally you dont have to use as much data than flash site.

i dunno... the only downside is sites that are flash that is a must have for you. otherwise, if apps can help... there is no downside to apps imo and no reason to think they are overrated as you are trying to make them.
    Last edited by donm527; 07/06/2011 at 09:51 AM.
    Global Posts
    39 Global Posts

The thing that makes webOS come out ahead there is having multitasking on top of that. Flash + Cards = An internet's worth of "Apps" that I don't have to purchase or find to use. It just works, no bandaid required. If flash didn't run so well, it would be a different story.

At least for me, that is just one more thing that makes Apple's 8 bajillion Apps number hold considerably less weight, and my choice of the Touchpad that much more satisfying.
    This has been my mantra forever - not just about Flash but overall - if the Web features are truly up to par and nearly everything works then there is zero need for apps! They exist only to make up for the glaring incompatibilities of the browser. The more you need to install (and often buy) the more it shows your web side is not up to snuff.

Adding Flash rounds out the vast majority of thing missing from the non-Flash Pre/Pre+ that is no longer an issue with Pre 2 & TP.

Glad to report our Best Buy has got the two demo units up & running now and the help seem up on the use & features. Got to play witj an iPad2 and TP side by side. Even the sales guy agreed that the TP was smoother, far easier to understand and the multitasking, as well as the card metaphor make the whole thing better.

As for weight holding both there is a small difference but certainly not a deal breaker. They also talked up the touch to sync function and we tried it with the Veer on display and it worked to pick up calls, messages, etc. Too bad that doesn't work with my Pre+.

Overall a big improvement over what they had out on Friday 7/1. They had 2 16GB and 1/2 dozen 32GB in stock & ready to go. Other than overpriced screen protectors no options in stock just a bunch of "out of stock" price labels for cases, Touchstones, keyboards, etc.

I was very glad to see the knowledge and excitement from the BB sales guy - hope they keep it up.
    John

Proudly Microsoft/Apple Free with HP/Palm Pre+/ Driod Bionic / Verizon Wireless TouchPad SOON! NOW!
    Zer0fluX likes this.
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast