Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree63Likes
    Global Posts
    141 Global Posts
    Been spending a lot of time reading threads in the TP forum. I've been a long-time member, and I was very excited to hear about forum members' experience with TP, and understand the good, bad and ugly. Reviews are nice, but I really trust the PC community to offer good insight.

For the most part, the posts have been very helpful, but I was really disappointed by the way so many members of the community have reacted to anyone or anything even slightly negative. I've read some very well-thought out, and honest responses to the TP that raised issues and expressed disappointment or dissatisfaction. Not in a troll-like, Apple fanb0y way, but a balanced, thoughtful, and in many cases constructive negative response.

Invariably, there are 3 or 4 replies that essentially accuse the person of rabid anti-WebOS rhetoric, and being Steve Jobs' evil minions. Some initial posts by new visitors to the forum were met with incredible hostility and disrespect if even slightly negative.

I hate the trolls as much as the next guy, and I understand that people come here once to hate on WebOS and the TP and then never return. But many are coming here looking to get some input from the foremost WebOS authorities - the people who know and love the products and the platform. If they are genuinely disappointed, our first response shouldn't be GTFO.

If we want the platform to grow and thrive, we need more people who want to engage the community and have a thoughtful give and take. We should be putting out the welcome mat rather than alienating every new person who doesn't gush about WebOS and the TP.

Sure, some people will never be happy with TP or WebOS, and we can't be holding their hands and begging them to reconsider. But do we really need to be so nasty in a junior-high sort of way? Are you so sensitive about WebOS that you can't objectively hear what others have to say if it's negative? I for one want the good and the bad - I can decide for myself what to take seriously and what to enjoy with a pound of Morton's.

And if we don't find a way to be more friendly and engaging, we're ultimately hurting WebOS' chances to grow and thrive. WebOS is in a fight for survival long-term. We're the underdog if you didn't notice. So we should be trying a little harder to bring other people into the fold. Or we may not have much of a fold left.

Allow me to step down from the soapbox now and return to reading some intelligent posts.
    Global Posts
    6 Global Posts
    ww
    Yup
    agreed 100%
    The glass is always half empty here.
    I've noticed trends where I don't come back, I don't read as much on here anymore.

There's no constructive critics anymore. There's too much arguing.
    Global Posts
    141 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by kjb86 View Post
    Yup
    agreed 100%
    The glass is always half empty here.
    I've noticed trends where I don't come back, I don't read as much on here anymore.

There's no constructive critics anymore. There's too much arguing.
    and i soooooo love WebOS and PC. That's why its been so hard to see the evolution. Really hope we're not turning off too many people. June 2009 was so much more funny, interesting, balanced and engaging.
    Great post. I agree.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Sprint Pre - Resting in peace | Touchpad - Stock and still running like new
    Global Posts
    279 Global Posts
    Amen. Very well said.

I think your point about junior high mentality is a good part of it. Immaturity combined with the anonymity of the internet can often lead to more drama than daytime tv.
    BrewCity likes this.
    Agree 100% with OP. There isn't a lot to be happy about with the Touchpad. HP seems to have taken a one step forward, two steps back approach. They add HP Pivot to improve app discovery, while at the same time making a buggy Mojo emulator (so only around 4000 out of a possible 6000 apps actually work) and not giving us flexibility with how we want our app launcher pages. They include a 1.2GHz dual-core processor with a gig of RAM, but have a sluggish OS and a javascript performance score that is lower even than the iPad 1.

Of course, these are only software problems, and HP has promised that they will fix these "known" bugs with a webOS update "in the coming weeks", but we all know HP's track record with promises.
    fxspec06 and Rennat like this.
    Global Posts
    141 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hobbz View Post
    Amen. Very well said.

I think your point about junior high mentality is a good part of it. Immaturity combined with the anonymity of the internet can often lead to more drama than daytime tv.

Dont give up though. Some of us are balanced and mature.
    Thanks! Seems a lot of our members mistake this forum for Keeping up with the Kardashians.
    Global Posts
    279 Global Posts
    oooops.. Sorry about double-post. TPad freaked out on me.
    Last edited by Hobbz; 07/05/2011 at 11:46 PM.
    thanks for these words. I feel like almost nobody pay any attention to another's questions/concerns, namely mine
    Quote Originally Posted by mrkvs View Post
    thanks for these words. I feel like almost nobody pay any attention to another's questions/concerns, namely mine
    hehe, your question is very specific, even those with a touchpad cannot test those for you easily.

Have some patience
    Global Posts
    165 Global Posts
    OP, I feel your pain. The Crackberry community is going through a similar struggle now as RIM is having problems with their phones/Playbook, yet anyone who tries to question the leadership at RIM is called iSheep.
    ADGrant likes this.
    Global Posts
    141 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gabe2gg View Post
    OP, I feel your pain. The Crackberry community is going through a similar struggle now as RIM is having problems with their phones/Playbook, yet anyone who tries to question the leadership at RIM is called iSheep.
    I guess when a platform is under fire, it's easy to get defensive about our products, especially new ones that are long-awaited. But defensiveness is only adding fuel to the fire, imo.
    To the OP. Very well written and you make many good points. I don't wish to speak for the WebOS cheerleaders but can understand (sometimes) their reasons for being so aggressive to the negative posts. Since day one of WebOS the readers and followers of this forum have to walk through all the "WebOS is going to fail" "Palm sucks" and similar type posts. I guess they have grown to be a little defensive over the years.

ET

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Lets just hope that HP doesn't get overly-defensive of the problems, but rather acknowledges and corrects them.
    Quote Originally Posted by tlaz View Post
    Been spending a lot of time reading threads in the TP forum. I've been a long-time member, and I was very excited to hear about forum members' experience with TP, and understand the good, bad and ugly. Reviews are nice, but I really trust the PC community to offer good insight.

For the most part, the posts have been very helpful, but I was really disappointed by the way so many members of the community have reacted to anyone or anything even slightly negative. I've read some very well-thought out, and honest responses to the TP that raised issues and expressed disappointment or dissatisfaction. Not in a troll-like, Apple fanb0y way, but a balanced, thoughtful, and in many cases constructive negative response.

Invariably, there are 3 or 4 replies that essentially accuse the person of rabid anti-WebOS rhetoric, and being Steve Jobs' evil minions. Some initial posts by new visitors to the forum were met with incredible hostility and disrespect if even slightly negative.

I hate the trolls as much as the next guy, and I understand that people come here once to hate on WebOS and the TP and then never return. But many are coming here looking to get some input from the foremost WebOS authorities - the people who know and love the products and the platform. If they are genuinely disappointed, our first response shouldn't be GTFO.

If we want the platform to grow and thrive, we need more people who want to engage the community and have a thoughtful give and take. We should be putting out the welcome mat rather than alienating every new person who doesn't gush about WebOS and the TP.

Sure, some people will never be happy with TP or WebOS, and we can't be holding their hands and begging them to reconsider. But do we really need to be so nasty in a junior-high sort of way? Are you so sensitive about WebOS that you can't objectively hear what others have to say if it's negative? I for one want the good and the bad - I can decide for myself what to take seriously and what to enjoy with a pound of Morton's.

And if we don't find a way to be more friendly and engaging, we're ultimately hurting WebOS' chances to grow and thrive. WebOS is in a fight for survival long-term. We're the underdog if you didn't notice. So we should be trying a little harder to bring other people into the fold. Or we may not have much of a fold left.

Allow me to step down from the soapbox now and return to reading some intelligent posts.
    why dont you stop trolling.... lol... nah im just kidding.. i actually agree with everything you said... as long as it isnt against the TP or webOS or Ruby ....

The White Shall set you free.......
    fxspec06 and Rennat like this.
    Quote Originally Posted by sketch42 View Post
    why dont you stop trolling.... lol... nah im just kidding.. i actually agree with everything you said... as long as it isnt against the TP or webOS or Ruby ....

The White Shall set you free.......
    I know you're joking but you can receive a "warning" for even joking that someone is "Trolling" Or is a "troll"
    Yeah, I've been a member here for a while too & it's kinda sad. A lot of users are clearly in self-destruct mode & struggling with the simple fact that most users/reviewers just aren't feeling the Touchpad. Calling for the fan-boyish members to "flood this or that site with good reviews!" is just dumb. If the Touchpad can't stand on its own feet & get good reviews on its own, then Jesus don't force it. You're not fooling anybody.

My advice to everyone having a hissie fit is to just step back for a moment & take a look at the big picture. It's not the end of the world & at the end of the day it's just a consumer product from a company that you have zero personal affiliation with.

There's certainly lots of other things to get your panties in a wad over in the world today. Basically, get a life.
    clevin likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by rsanchez1 View Post
    Agree 100% with OP. There isn't a lot to be happy about with the Touchpad. HP seems to have taken a one step forward, two steps back approach. They add HP Pivot to improve app discovery, while at the same time making a buggy Mojo emulator (so only around 4000 out of a possible 6000 apps actually work) and not giving us flexibility with how we want our app launcher pages. They include a 1.2GHz dual-core processor with a gig of RAM, but have a sluggish OS and a javascript performance score that is lower even than the iPad 1.

Of course, these are only software problems, and HP has promised that they will fix these "known" bugs with a webOS update "in the coming weeks", but we all know HP's track record with promises.
    so sad =(

mojo is wonderful.

Lately I have been too busy to read through all the posts. So naturally I have to try to read around all of these mini-fights and it's kind of pathetic, TBH.
    Neo Enyo 2.0 Twitter App: NOW AVAILABLE | WON REVIEW
    clearview - clear card app for HP TOUCHPAD
    Wild'n Video Poker - AVAILABLE FOR ALL WEBOS DEVICES! | follow for latest updates - @fxspec06

ive also been around for a while and absolutely love PreCentral. It is actually my first "Forum Family". I follow a handful of great and brilliant people on here and hold a lot of what they say with high regards. I remember this being a place where everyone was respectful, helpful, and hopeful for webOS. But the last year or so, this sight has started to become very negative. Believe me, I completely understand some of the frustrations around here, but there are better way to go about things. I see some people on here who now look for posts and front page news JUST to be negative or bash someone. I may actually be considered one of the quiet ones because I do not have much posts, but I actually do spend a collective average of 3 - 4 hours a day on here listening and refreshing the sight, and sometimes I want to rant just like the OP. I'm not exactly the smarts to post something like the OP, but I'm glad he did and I hope some people consider his words before trolling.

My Pre Does EXACTLY What I Need It To Do, And Thats Why I Have A webOS Relationship.

Facebook: facebook.com/LordSecksie
    Twitter: @LordSecksie
    TextOne: LordSecksie
    mrkvs likes this.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast