Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree63Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    Except you overlooked a major thing. I had no complaint about the OP. He expressed his opinion. However, there are several on here that have nothing good to say. They are here, some by their own admissions, to vent their frustrations. Those are whiners. The most effective way to vent about a product you are dissatisfied with is to buy something you like.
    I have no problem with OPs thread and I'm sorry about his disappointment. My disappointment comes from so many people posting threads all over the place just to complain or say good buy. There's actually a thread specifically for those issues and instead the forum get's clogged up with new threads. Some making you think there might be good information so it slows down your ability to search.

I don't mind that people have buyer's remorse or they don't like the product they purchased. Those are concerns that you take to the manufacturer or simply return your product. Not clog up post in a community that's mainly looking for tips, ways to get the most out of their purchase, and help other forum members.
    ...However, there are several on here that have nothing good to say. They are here, some by their own admissions, to vent their frustrations. Those are whiners...
    It's true, I contribute nothing to the forum...

http://forums.precentral.net/hp-touc...hpad-faqs.html
    sorli likes this.
    Global Posts
    565 Global Posts
    I can't thank the OP enough, and think its spot on. I think the "WebOS trolls" are about as harmful to gaining support for WebOS as the "Anti-WebOS trolls". IE, those who are rude, condenscending, nasty, and trollish in their own posts towards anyone that speaks a negative word concerning a WebOS product. For all the talk of iPhans by these types of people, they are really no different and do as much disservice for WebOS as their counterparts do for Apple. Some people seem to define "whining" as mentioning a complaint more than once, and yet for some reason these are the same type of people who voice the "complaint' of "whining" numerous times whenever someone gives an honest opinion. Though these type of people perhaps don't think their definitions apply to themselves.

One can absolutely love WebOS and still be extremely disappointed and have issue with the TouchPad.
    tlaz and gabe2gg like this.
    Global Posts
    141 Global Posts
    This is what,s "disappointing" about the community - the constant whining about what you don't have. Seriously, if you can find better - buy it! If you can't find better, why whine about the best? It's tiresome, and creates the type of cynicism you see directed at some legitimate comments.

Here's a good rule of thumb - if you mention a complaint more than once, you're no longer "informing", you're whining.
    But i think there's an important distinction to make here. It's perfectly acceptable to come here and talk about your frustration with a product. People are looking to commiserate and figure out if their experience is unique (i.e. their product is malfunctioning) or whether there is some fix for their issues which others may know about. Where else do you go for that?

In those circumstances, I don't think the appropriate first response is to tell them they are whining, return their TP to wherever they bought it and don't let the door hit you on the way out. That's the best we can do here? There's a big difference between venting (but still liking WebOS/TP) and trolling. And it's not hard to see.

Do these posts expressing frustration/disappointment so infuriate you that you have to make a nasty remark? Couldn't you just simply ignore the post and move on? I understand it gets tougher to do this when the volume of unhappy posts increases, but it seems to me it takes more effort to fire off the GTFO than it does to just move to another thread.

There was a time when the PC forums would encourage people to "stick with it" and extoll the virtues of the platform when people posted negative comments. If HPalm, the TP and even this forum are to survive, we're going to need a little more positive/glass half full approaches to new comers and legit dissenters than we have now.
    gabe2gg and KCTraveler like this.
    do you know anyone who bought susan boyle album? by she sold 500,000 copies for more than 5 weeks in a row
    that maybe the tp case
    Global Posts
    782 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hobbz View Post
    oooops.. Sorry about double-post. TPad freaked out on me.
    Hey, NOTHING negative allowed here!!!
    sketch42 likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by tlaz View Post
    But i think there's an important distinction to make here. It's perfectly acceptable to come here and talk about your frustration with a product. People are looking to commiserate and figure out if their experience is unique (i.e. their product is malfunctioning) or whether there is some fix for their issues which others may know about. Where else do you go for that?

In those circumstances, I don't think the appropriate first response is to tell them they are whining, return their TP to wherever they bought it and don't let the door hit you on the way out. That's the best we can do here? There's a big difference between venting (but still liking WebOS/TP) and trolling. And it's not hard to see.

Do these posts expressing frustration/disappointment so infuriate you that you have to make a nasty remark? Couldn't you just simply ignore the post and move on? I understand it gets tougher to do this when the volume of unhappy posts increases, but it seems to me it takes more effort to fire off the GTFO than it does to just move to another thread.

There was a time when the PC forums would encourage people to "stick with it" and extoll the virtues of the platform when people posted negative comments. If HPalm, the TP and even this forum are to survive, we're going to need a little more positive/glass half full approaches to new comers and legit dissenters than we have now.
    I agree, the difference is not hard to see. I think where you and I may disagree is where that line lies. I don't think i've left a "nasty remark" as you've described; certainly not to the op in this thread. As for the others, there's no "encouraging them to stick with it". The folks I'm talking about don't own a TouchPad, and have made it clear they are not buying one. And again, one has to wonder as to their motivation for being here.

I'll add one other thing - the problem isn't the increase in the number of such posts, but that they continue, seemingly unabated, from the same small group of disgruntled members.
    Quote Originally Posted by tlaz View Post
    I agree, the difference is not hard to see. I think where you and I may disagree is where that line lies. I don't think I've left a "nasty remark" as you've described; certainly not to the op in this thread. As for the others, there's no "encouraging them to stick with it". The folks I'm talking about don't own a TouchPad, and have made it clear they are not buying one. And again, one has to wonder as to their motivation for being here.

I'll add one other thing - the problem isn't the increase in the number of such posts, but that they continue, seemingly unabated, from the same small group of disgruntled members.
    I guess it is all where your point of view is.

Disclaimer: I do not own a Touchpad, but I want to someday.
    Is that sufficient motivation for being here?

I have been looking here (among other places) for information about peoples experiences with the Touchpad before I decided what investment my company should make. P|C forums have been a great resource to me in the past and I expected no less now. But I found a lot more examples of what Tlaz states than I would of expected. I saw new posters get slammed for posting the negative aspects of their experiences. The "Well if you don't like it then return it" attitude by many was counterproductive and contributed nothing to the dialog others were trying to have. I've seen people post questions directly about if they should get the TP vs another device and been told "either you support HP(Palm) or you don't" as an answer. That seems the very type of attitude of many accuse the Apple ******* of.

You state a small group continue to post unabated negative things. I do not know exactly which threads you saw but as an example there were a lot of post and discussions about the apparently very polarizing and divisive tablet weight/size issue. I think that is a fact that is getting a whole lot more attention than it deserves. But the facts are the facts, it is heavier than most (all?) recent tablets. Ergonomics are important. It was a non-issue for me, for others it is important, why can't we let it go? Does it require an attack? What I have gleaned from some of the discussions about the size and weight is that the tear-downs show a tablet device that is much more modular in it's components, almost PC like in construction. That leads to all kinds of interesting and exciting opportunities. HP can upgrade the form factor very nimbly as newer better faster components are made. But most threads don't mention that as a potential upside to the form factor, just a "why would you even waste time talking about it, why do you think the extra weight is bad? Are you a weakling?" type of response.

I wanted to hear the good and the bad and see if I could justify to my boss not buying a competing tablet. And between the "professional" reviews, the post of people here and my own hands on experiences with the devices I was able to do so. But I was disappointed by what I saw in many threads here. It was not the open, encouraging, style of post that I had come to expect here in this community. Pre Central and Home Brew and the community around them are why I continue to use and love my Pre+ phone. It was disappointing to see that some new people who came here to report issues, questions or experiences were responded to in the manner some were. In my opinion, Tlaz's original and follow-up post asking for a more glass half-full approach makes for a better community. Unless of course the goal is to keep people out.

/stepping down off soapbox...
    joiathome likes this.
    As I said, I had no issue with his post.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123