Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree63Likes
    Perhaps the most frustrating part of the TouchPad is how close it is to being a real iPad killer. Just a couple of tweaks and the device could really have turned some heads. With "Spring" being mid May for the Veer launch, Summer being July 1 for the TouchPad, and apparently August for the now apparently delayed Pre3, I think the community is at the breaking point.

Many of us have waited years saying "webOS is the best OS, just wait 'till the next generation phone is released!" but multiple soft launches, huge delays, and a depleted user base later, webOS is nearing irrelevance. Meanwhile, the advantages webOS has over other operating systems such as multi-tasking and a slick UI are rapidly being erased by fast development in the other mobile OS competitors.
    Quote Originally Posted by EvilKell View Post
    Perhaps the most frustrating part of the TouchPad is how close it is to being a real iPad killer. Just a couple of tweaks and the device could really have turned some heads. With "Spring" being mid May for the Veer launch, Summer being July 1 for the TouchPad, and apparently August for the now apparently delayed Pre3, I think the community is at the breaking point.

Many of us have waited years saying "webOS is the best OS, just wait 'till the next generation phone is released!" but multiple soft launches, huge delays, and a depleted user base later, webOS is nearing irrelevance. Meanwhile, the advantages webOS has over other operating systems such as multi-tasking and a slick UI are rapidly being erased by fast development in the other mobile OS competitors.
    have to agree with this, the card metaphor has been more or less copied by RIM and Microsoft, universal search is now more or less on all platforms, everybody is changing notification too.

oh well, wait for Opal! Hopefully will be good.
    Quote Originally Posted by tlaz View Post
    Been spending a lot of time reading threads in the TP forum. I've been a long-time member, and I was very excited to hear about forum members' experience with TP, and understand the good, bad and ugly. Reviews are nice, but I really trust the PC community to offer good insight.

For the most part, the posts have been very helpful, but I was really disappointed by the way so many members of the community have reacted to anyone or anything even slightly negative. I've read some very well-thought out, and honest responses to the TP that raised issues and expressed disappointment or dissatisfaction. Not in a troll-like, Apple fanb0y way, but a balanced, thoughtful, and in many cases constructive negative response.

No doubt. I read all the "professional" reviews but certainly turned to the best source for things WebOS here. Some will have rose colored glasses for all things WebOS and yet others fall into the never happy crowd. But I can take those and decide for myself what is and is not relevant to me and I was real disappointed when I read threads with the exact scenario you described. I appreciated everyone who took the time over the weekend to share their thoughts, positive and negative, on their purchase.
    Last edited by KCTraveler; 07/05/2011 at 11:03 PM.
    Well said and thanks!

Some people have small problems that cause only minor hang-ups and others have major issues with the same problem that causes them to completely go bonkers. For most of us, most things are minor and we can live with it.

I've always said, if you need a different phone or now tablet, there are plenty of choices, do some research, and move to what works best for you and no one else. WebOS is not for everyone and for people like me it's not quite perfect, but pretty close. Sorli
    hparsons likes this.
    I'm glad we have all of you to greet people cheerfully, ignore trolls, and improve the general atmosphere. Thanks to all of you!
  6. dec
    Global Posts
    255 Global Posts
    if they've had just a few posts and they're all negative "jump on the negative bandwagon" I think its safe to say they are just haters. We don't need haters, we need those that are additive to the cause.

I agree with the concept of your post, but some are just blatant. If you review some1's stat's and everypost is about something that just doesnt seem credible they deserve to be scorched --- in fact I think the forum should have a way to vote them off the island ~

This is what,s "disappointing" about the community - the constant whining about what you don't have. Seriously, if you can find better - buy it! If you can't find better, why whine about the best? It's tiresome, and creates the type of cynicism you see directed at some legitimate comments.

Here's a good rule of thumb - if you mention a complaint more than once, you're no longer "informing", you're whining.
    Perhaps the most frustrating part of the TouchPad is how close it is to being a real iPad killer.

Meanwhile, the advantages webOS has over other operating systems such as multi-tasking and a slick UI are rapidly being erased by fast development in the other mobile OS competitors.
    I agree, Love webOS but seriously the "potential" word is used too damn much when describing the products. Still, I'm ever the optimist for the most part, all good things come to those who wait.

Quote Originally Posted by dec View Post
    if they've had just a few posts and they're all negative "jump on the negative bandwagon" I think its safe to say they are just haters. We don't need haters, we need those that are additive to the cause.

I agree with the concept of your post, but some are just blatant. If you review some1's stat's and everypost is about something that just doesn't seem credible they deserve to be scorched --- in fact I think the forum should have a way to vote them off the island ~
    That seems a little extreme, at least to me. One of the things that really engaged me on WebOS/Palm was the openness and helpfulness of the community. Objective commentary good and bad should be able to be posted without a lot of negative feedback on the commentary and that seems to be less the case these days. Maybe because it is only the most voracious fans that are left on the forums? idk
    There is a fine line between constructive and valuable feedback versus whining and trolling, seems the trend lately has been to jump on all negativism as the later even if it is the former.
    Global Posts
    165 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    This is what,s "disappointing" about the community - the constant whining about what you don't have. Seriously, if you can find better - buy it! If you can't find better, why whine about the best? It's tiresome, and creates the type of cynicism you see directed at some legitimate comments.

Here's a good rule of thumb - if you mention a complaint more than once, you're no longer "informing", you're whining.
    The problem here is your labeling criticism as whining. Evil, as many other realists on this forum(including me) realize webos has the potential to be the best but many things need to be done for that to be accomplished. Criticism sometimes can be harsh but necessary. I mean look at what has happened to RIM in a matter of months. You might find our criticisms to be over the line but there is a reason for this as HP/Palm needs to be urgent with their updates/future products. Iphone 5/Ipad 3 is looming around the corner and I just dont want HP/Palm to be back to square one again as soon as these IDevices are announced. There is a reason a number of us who "whine" about WebOS are still here after 2+ years, as we believe the potential of the OS can be met, but only with a good mindset by HP/Palm that has to be able to receive the good with the bad to make things better.
    Last edited by gabe2gg; 07/06/2011 at 12:52 AM.
    Hobbz and KCTraveler like this.
    I completely agree with you tlaz. I really don't what PreCentral to turn into what happened to XDA Developers. That forums was legendary as it was chocked full of smart people and so many things came out of the hard work put out there. But eventually it fell into the same problem that is happening here. Discussions started becoming usually heated.

I really, really don't what this to happen to PreCentral. It is the greatest place on the interwebs and so many things come out of the hard work and thoughts that are brain stormed up here. I really want to do something about this but I really don't know what. The only thing that I can really think of is going through a extreme cleanup by all the moderators like some other forums have gone through. But that tends to make people feel rejected from the forums. I just keep thinking back to the days when we all were editing the code through a linux terminal to edit the WebOS code to make it so we could add launcher pages (even before patches).

Just don't know what we can all do. Even if we get all the top people and the people who come here regularly, what can we do? We can all refrain from saying things that may make anyone mad and create a sense of respect in our posts but I doubt that would help much. We need to find a way to make the glass half full, but how?
    "Life is Hard... it's harder if your stupid"
    - John Wayne

I don't feel EvilKell's comments were out of line. Certainly not disappointing unless the P|C forums are meant for cheerleading and rose colored glasses comments only. I must of missed the memo.

His comments seem to echo what the majority of non Pre-Central reviewers say. Sure repetition of complaints and snarkiness (is that a word) can be grating and tiring but the Touchpad is pretty new and it seems appropriate to be talking about the Pros and Cons now. I think, and it is just my opinion, that we all want Web OS to meet the potential that I think I read about in every "professional" review. For some people including myself it is frustrating when things, anything, doesn't meets it's potential.

So sure I am frustrated because I have the vision that HP is selling but it isn't quite enough in place yet. I see the potential everyone talks about and I have confidence the Homebrew community will improve on the things HP doesn't get quite right I will own a WebOS tablet, it will just be later rather than sooner. But till then I'll use my Pre Plus, await my Pre-3 when my contract runs out in the fall and keep track of the Pros and Cons of the Touchpad and new devices that come out here on the forums among other places. Hopefully the open and helpful discussions that first lured me into registering after following the Pre Central site for some time will continue to provide me with valuable information on how to improve my WebOS experience and make decisions on when to spend my cash on new devices.

Of course "That's just my opinion, I could be wrong".
    Hobbz likes this.
    Global Posts
    279 Global Posts

I like what you did here. You made a post to be the prime example of what the OP was expressing disappointment about.

Yes, I'm being sarcastic. You still provided an example of the OP's post. We don't all need to agree with each other, but it does help to be respectful.

oh, and I cant help but pick up on the whole pot & kettle thing too.

now back to our regularly scheduled programming
    Quote Originally Posted by WebOSFan12 View Post
    I know you're joking but you can receive a "warning" for even joking that someone is "Trolling" Or is a "troll"
    Yes I know.. But for the most part no one ever really takes me seriously.. Even when I'm Trying to be taken seriously!!!

Seriously!!!

Still can't figure out why though.. :/

Back on topic..

The problem that OP is referring to , isn't just a problem of disagreeing.

It criticism for the sake of criticism that gets our panties all ruffled...

I'll say as I said on Twitter.

You wouldn't tell your daughter that you loved her less bec she was missing man parts, therefore being inadequate to be a person..

The fact is.. There is NO perfect tablet. That perfection is reserved for the perception of each Individual.

That is not to say that NO tablet has faults.

The problem is ONLY pointing out faults .

Take two friends that you know and make a list of ONLY cons for one and ONLY pros for the other.
    I think you would drop the friend w the cons. But fortunately for us Humans, we don't think in such a manner. You take a product for the sum of its parts and if that sum fulfills your needs than great.

Would you like someone to do a review of YOU, based ONLY on negatives, or do a review on YOUR WIFE showing ONLY negatives..???

I think I've made my point..

/Rambling Off

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    fxspec06 likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by WebOSFan12 View Post
    I know you're joking but you can receive a "warning" for even joking that someone is "Trolling" Or is a "troll"
    We can tell the difference between joking, and rude comments. Everything Sketch says is borderline Just kiddin ya Sketch! LOL
    Quote Originally Posted by HelloNNNewman View Post
    We can tell the difference between joking, and rude comments. Everything Sketch says is borderline Just kiddin ya Sketch! LOL
    Seeeee , skipped right over my last post.. Lol

I will try to tone it down.. Its hard to do with all these touchpad threads and no Touchpad

Quote Originally Posted by HelloNNNewman View Post
    I still remember the first time I was white texted. I do believe it was by Sketch anyway. I made me really mad until I posted a reply and read the quote...
    "Life is Hard... it's harder if your stupid"
    - John Wayne
    sketch42 likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by sketch42 View Post

The problem that OP is referring to , isn't just a problem of disagreeing.

It criticism for the sake of criticism that gets our panties all ruffled...

Okay, the examples were a little rambling, But I agree, I think.

Disagreeing for disagreements sake = bad
    Constructive criticisms or observations = okay

Of course everything has tradeoffs and you have to be able to weight those. Problem is what is constructive or informational to one person is disagreeing for disagreements sake to another.

As a WebOS site, I think it is pretty safe to assume most people will have a predisposition to be Web OS fans here. But does that convert to see no evil, speak no evil do no evil to the almighty <insert latest WebOS device name here> ? I think for some that is indeed the case and I think that distracts from the conversation and content of the site bringing down the overall value. That's my 2cents.

-
    Seeeee , skipped right over my last post.. Lol

I will try to tone it down.. Its hard to do with all these touchpad threads and no Touchpad

You're banned for being just you.
    I mean; W.T.?.
    Just call me Berd.
    HelloNNNewman and sketch42 like this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hobbz View Post
    I like what you did here. You made a post to be the prime example of what the OP was expressing disappointment about.

Yes, I'm being sarcastic. You still provided an example of the OP's post. We don't all need to agree with each other, but it does help to be respectful.

oh, and I cant help but pick up on the whole pot & kettle thing too.

now back to our regularly scheduled programming
    Except you overlooked a major thing. I had no complaint about the OP. He expressed his opinion. However, there are several on here that have nothing good to say. They are here, some by their own admissions, to vent their frustrations. Those are whiners. The most effective way to vent about a product you are dissatisfied with is to buy something you like.
    Last edited by hparsons; 07/06/2011 at 03:08 AM.
    This right here.
    The problem is ONLY pointing out faults ...
    That right there.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast