Page 8 of 23 FirstFirst ... 34567891011121318 ... LastLast
Like Tree9Likes
    Global Posts
    316 Global Posts
    You know none of my laptops nor Phones ( Iphone and Captivate) have this problem disconnecting and reconnecting only the Touch pads its not the router
    Its constant and its unsecured router open no security!!!

Its disconnected and reconnected 3 times in the last 120 secs.......................
    Last edited by drfp; 08/30/2011 at 07:21 PM.
    Just found this forum yesterday after having issues with my wifi on my touchpad. I'm not too tech savy, but the wifi issue with my touchpad is very frustrating. The only thing that fixes it is to reset my modem and router, but it doesn't last long. Today it lasted for about 45 minutes. I can reset my modem and router everytime, it is such a pain. All other devices (laptop and iphones) work fine with my router. It seems like there is no fix, because many of you are having continuing issues.

Does this mean that we just need to wait for HP to fix this issue with the wifi on the touchpad? I love the touchpad when it works, but this wifi issue is frustrating.
    Quote Originally Posted by xterminator View Post
    I've also been having problems with my TP and my D-Link DIR-615, but I think I fixed it. I switched from G and N mixed, to G only, and haven't had any problems since.
    I performed a 30/30/30 reset with my D-Link Dir-615, which removed my old secured network and changed the settings to:

- Channel 11
    - WPA
    - AES
    - G and N mixed
    - Visible

Seems to work decently now. I had an invisible network but every time you shut down the touchpad it wouldn't remember it so I switched it back to visible and we'll see what happens.
    Alright, it goes off still but I get the connection back after a few minutes without having to turn Wifi off/on. Strange
    Quote Originally Posted by PWMFlyer19 View Post
    I received a new touchpad today and had very similar issues.

OS: 3.0.0 - still trying to update to 3.0.2 but I think everyone else is too

Router Type: Netgear Rangemax Next Wireless Router WNR834M

Firmware Version: 1.4.07NA (which is a little older - latest version is 1.4.23 NA) WNR834M

I changed the following settings to get it to work. It was dropping about every 1-2 minutes and I would need to turn wifi off/on to have it reset. Now it has not dropped at all in about an hour.

Mode:
    To: 11 b/g

Security Options:
    To: WPA2-PSK[AES]

I changed these based on the feedback/intelligence in this and other threads. I am going to try to see if one impacts the performance more or less to try and narrow down, but these changes worked for me.

Thanks.
    So I performed more testing and last night changed the Mode from 11 b/g to 11 b/g/Next (20/40 MHz).

So basically I can not use N for now. I am going to do more testing and upgrade the firmware, I just don't have time. Maybe this weekend to see if the firmware or possibly a channel change will help it. I am using channel 6.

Cheers.
    just got my touchpad up and running and I am seeing the same with the DIR 655 router, I am losing connection and must turn wifi off then on. I changed from tkip to AES and it still disconnects. I have mixed mode on for b,g,n and it connects with N, when it is connected. Not sure what is happening but kind of a pain disconnecting when I stop using it.
    I've been having a problem with the wifi. Running a DLink DI 615.

I went in to tweak the settings and seem to have had some success getting rid of the problems. Previously it would lock up every hour or so and the only way to fix it was to restart the router.

I changed to WPA2 only
    I locked the channel to 5 (the least used in my nearby area) instead of allowing channel scan/hopping.
    Set to Wireless N and G only.

Haven't seemed to have too many problems since then. The TouchPad still loses wifi periodically but doesn't require a router restart or turning the wireless on the touchpad on and off.
    Global Posts
    713 Global Posts
    I have searched the forums at length, and found many WiFi issues, but not one that matched this. If I missed it, pleased kindly redirect me!

The school district where I work has recently installed a new Guest Network, whereby ANY WiFi device may attach to it, as long as they have a district username and password. This is really nice, as it requires no tinkering with ip addresses and such.

However, there is no checkbox to tell the network to remember your settings, so every time it asks you for this info, you must type it out. Not a big problem, but for whatever reason, it is asking my touchpad two to three times an hour for my log-in credentials. Others in my building with devices from different manufacturers don't seem to be getting this message, so I am inclined to believe that webOS is not doing a great job of storing this info in a cookie (or whatever else would store it). It is annoying to the nth degree, making it almost not worth having.

My questions are: has anyone else experienced this? If so, have you found a solution, be it in the settings, or maybe someone has written a patch/app for this?

Thanks to any and all.

t
    tim
    what wireless is the guest network using? is it using a browser based one like a Cisco ? or something different?

and the reason I ask is devices can behave differently depending on the wireless used.

FYI I design wireless networks in the Enterprise so I have a decent understand of it.
    "I haven't failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work."
    Thomas Edison
    I seem to see the disconnects more when the TP is sitting in the docking station and the TP goes into screen saver mode. I wake the TP up and none of the apps can connect. If I turn off wifi and back on it looks like most reconnect and I am in business again. Is there a wifi/network monitoring tool we can download to watch this? I definitely seems to be something funny happening with the wifi. I haven't noticed it as often when off of the dock, but then I tend to use it constantly when it is in my hands and the TP doesn't go to sleep that often. I will have to try letting it go to sleep and wake it up while out of the dock to see if that behavior also exists off the dock.

Longsnowsm
    Global Posts
    397 Global Posts
    I had this wifi intermittent issue. I was using a D-Link DIR-615 router and decided I would try a new router to see if it would help. I figured that it either will fix it or I would return the router. I purchased a Cisco Linksys E-1200 router on Monday evening and have not lost my wifi signal once on the touchpad. The strength of the signal actually does not seem as strong on this router as the D-Link but it has been working. I set it to wpa2, N only, and channel 11. It has been more than 48 hours so I'm hoping this means that it is fixed.

My advice is to try a different router and see if it fixes the issue. Also, I've looked at different forums about this issue and it seems like a lot of the people with this issue have a D-Link router so I'm not sure if D-Link has issues with touchpad. Best of luck to all of you.
    Global Posts
    713 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by robotech1985 View Post
    what wireless is the guest network using? is it using a browser based one like a Cisco ? or something different?

and the reason I ask is devices can behave differently depending on the wireless used.

FYI I design wireless networks in the Enterprise so I have a decent understand of it.
    I am really not sure of the question. I can try to find out, but with a school district getting ready to open next Tuesday, this is not high on their priority list!
    tim
    Anyone find a fix yet for connecting to Enterprise servers?
    I am having a problem connecting to my university networks. The main network is WPA2 enterprise and the TP fails to connect after entering credentials. I installed the university's security certificate and it still doesn't work. There is a secondary guest network that in just open, but the TP has an IP config error after attempting to connect for ~30seconds. It connects fine to my home networks though.
    Quote Originally Posted by SandraW View Post
    does this also happen when you're using a laptop or smartphone to connect to the school's
    WiFi network?

I remember visiting a college with the same problem you're describing... it keeps asking for
    user ID and password every 20 minutes. On my smartphone(Android) there is a setting where
    you can tell it to ignore the request and keep on surfing. This happens more ofte near the
    edge of campus where the signal goes in and out.
    if its Cisco and is web driven , it will kick the client off ever 10 min if it doest see traffic coming from the device

if there is something in the touchpad that will refresh ever 5-10 min it will keep the link open on the wlc device

maybe an app or something
    Global Posts
    713 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by robotech1985 View Post
    if its Cisco and is web driven , it will kick the client off ever 10 min if it doest see traffic coming from the device

if there is something in the touchpad that will refresh ever 5-10 min it will keep the link open on the wlc device

maybe an app or something
    It very well could be Cisco. I am still trying to find out from our overloaded IT guys. I really don't know about the laptops, because all the teachers (except for me) have school-provided laptops, which are not on the "guest wifi", but on the secured wifi, so they don't need to answer the login that I do with the guest one.

That does seem exactly like what's happening though. A few times yesterday, I noticed it had gone quite awhile without asking, and thinking back, I was actively on the internet for most of that time, so it didn't kick me off.
    tim
    Global Posts
    713 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SandraW View Post
    There was a program that I used a few years ago... can't remember the name off the top of
    my head. It's a tiny program that sends a request every minute or two to random
    websites(cnn.com, google.com, yahoo.com, for example) to avoid getting kicked off
    the Wi-Fi network for non-usage.

There is a website that does the same thing by automatically reloading the page
    every 30 seconds(or the amount of time you set it).

KeepALIVE! - Keeping your ISP connection alive!

Hope this works...
    Wow, that's exactly what I was looking for. Thanks, Sandra! I will give this a try when I get back to my building next week.
    tim
    I'm having the same issue with WPA2 enterprise networks. The TP doesn't recognize it and can't accept certificates like an iPad or Android tablet. I can get connected, but Synergy is disabled. I'm assuming because its confused with the WiFi certs.

Quote Originally Posted by wannabesean1123 View Post
    I am having a problem connecting to my university networks. The main network is WPA2 enterprise and the TP fails to connect after entering credentials. I installed the university's security certificate and it still doesn't work. There is a secondary guest network that in just open, but the TP has an IP config error after attempting to connect for ~30seconds. It connects fine to my home networks though.
    Global Posts
    48 Global Posts
    I was having the same issue of my Touchpad not connecting to my D-Link DIR-615 and locking up the router. I found this article from HP and it seem to resolve my issue. The only thing I changed was changing my router settings from 802.11n/b/g to 802.11b/g. The Touchpad isn't compatible with with 802.11a or 802.11n. Two days later and still no issues on my end.

Palm Support : TouchPad (Wi-Fi) - I can
    Quote Originally Posted by thelessa View Post
    I have a Rosewill RNX-N4PS wireless router that I am using to connect to the internet. I have set it up as just a wireless access point. Using a wired router as the DHCP server connecting to the internet.

We were having trouble staying connected using out Touchpads. Usually we run it with the 'Broadcast ESSID' turned off, it seems that our Touchpads were losing the connection, so I turned it back on thinking that I needed to re-enter the password (WPA2). Once I did that they found it and were able to connect to the internet.

I did test to see if we could turn it back off and discovered that very soon after I had turned off the 'ESSID' the Touchpads lost the connection again. So I am now running with it turned on.

Not sure if this is a fix for any of you, but this seemed to fix our connection problem. Hope that this helps.
    My problem is very similar to this. I have a 2wire ATT Uverse router. Mine is set to accept both WPA and WPA2. If I broadcast the SSID my touchpad will connect immediately. In fact I couldn't connect at all initially without broadcasting the SSID. I got an error message that said no network of that name with that security setting was found.

It will remain connected after I turn off broadcasting the SSID as long as I don't turn off wifi on the touchpad. Which means changing to not turn it off when the touchpad sleeps. Not the best solution for reducing battery use when device not in use. Now if wifi is turned off and back on and the router is not broadcasting the SSID it will take 2 minutes or longer and sometimes not at all for it to connect. But if I turn on broadcast SSID and turn wifi off and on again it will connect immediately. Anyone have a solution for this strangeness?
    As requested: for my works on webOS patches and apps. Twitter: @larryboytw Patches: Small icons browser start page, 5x5 launcher. I have an AAS CIS Programming degree. I enjoy working on open source projects and alpha and beta testing.
    http://install.preware.org/ for easy to get up and running for patches and apps.
Page 8 of 23 FirstFirst ... 34567891011121318 ... LastLast