Page 7 of 23 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111217 ... LastLast
Like Tree9Likes
    OK... last post of the night. I'm sorry for the three posts.

I'm streaming another movie flawlessly. I have to assume that the tablet is trying to save power by ignoring the wifi when it doesn't think it needs it. The last post was while I was viewing files that aren't connected via WIFI. Once I started using the wifi again, the ping times came back reasonably well.

I'll continue testing. I think that varying the beacon interval will help to identify the true source of the problem, but it seems like a work around and not a true solution.

Good luck!
    Global Posts
    86 Global Posts
    I have 2 routers: NetGear WNDR3400 (N 2.4GHz and N 5GHz) and Linksys WRT54G (G 2.4GHz). Both routers and frequencies use the same SSID and WPA2-PSK EAS. I have between 10-20 different wireless devices (mix of G, N, 2.4 and 5) connected to the network at different times. Everything works flawlessly. Devices automatically select the strongest router.

My HP TouchPad disconnects from the network every few hours. Turning WiFI Off/On solves the problem.

However, THE BIGGEST PROBLEM is that cards active on my TouchPad cannot continue after WiFi Off/On. I have to close all open cards and re-open them. VERY ANNOYING!!!

My PC and Android can continue after network disconnection; TouchPad CANNOT.

Am I right or am I missing something?

Except the WiFi issue, HP TouchPad is a pretty nice device. Thank you HP!!! and please fix WiFi.

BTW, there is something strange about how TouchPad shows available networks.
    1. Often I see weak neighbors' networks, but I don't see my strong home network
    2. It takes very long and network are not sorted by strength. Networks should be searched once (triggered by user), and after that you should be able to scroll.
    3. Also the Sign In button is activated and deactivated when I am entering the password. I cannot explain why.

BTW#2: I cannot use TKIP on my router because it reduces WiFi speed to G (54Mbs). N (300Mbs) requires AES.
    Last edited by smatofu; 08/24/2011 at 01:16 PM. Reason: Additional info
    I doctored my TP and now it won't connect to my school's WiFi, so I can't set it up. It's useless.
    Quote Originally Posted by smatofu View Post
    I have 2 routers: NetGear WNDR3400 (N 2.4GHz and N 5GHz) and Linksys WRT54G (G 2.4GHz). Both routers and frequencies use the same SSID and WPA2-PSK EAS. I have between 10-20 different wireless devices (mix of G, N, 2.4 and 5) connected to the network at different times. Everything works flawlessly. Devices automatically select the strongest router.

My HP TouchPad disconnects from the network every few hours. Turning WiFI Off/On solves the problem.

However, THE BIGGEST PROBLEM is that cards active on my TouchPad cannot continue after WiFi Off/On. I have to close all open cards and re-open them. VERY ANNOYING!!!

My PC and Android can continue after network disconnection; TouchPad CANNOT.

Am I right or am I missing something?

Except the WiFi issue, HP TouchPad is a pretty nice device. Thank you HP!!! and please fix WiFi.

BTW, there is something strange about how TouchPad shows available networks.
    1. Often I see weak neighbors' networks, but I don't see my strong home network
    2. It takes very long and network are not sorted by strength. Networks should be searched once (triggered by user), and after that you should be able to scroll.
    3. Also the Sign In button is activated and deactivated when I am entering the password. I cannot explain why.

BTW#2: I cannot use TKIP on my router because it reduces WiFi speed to G (54Mbs). N (300Mbs) requires AES.
    A couple of things; first, the Sign In button will activate when it detects a password of the correct length for the type of encryption you are using, so that's normal, it even does that on the phones.

Otherwise I am having the same problem as you, my touchpad will disconnect randomly and when I look at available wifi I only see a very weak network (letís call it CT-ER), and none of the three very strong wifi networks that are in my house. What I have found (using inSSIDer on my windows 7 laptop) is that the CT-ER network is the ONLY 5GHz network in range, and it's so weak the signal fades in and out.

What I think is happening is that the touchpad prefers 5GHz networks, and there's a stupid bug in it where when it finds a 5GHz network it drops all 2.4GHz connections and only looks for 5GHz until it loses it and then it will look for any available network.

Anyone able to confirm this theory?
    I've also been having problems with my TP and my D-Link DIR-615, but I think I fixed it. I switched from G and N mixed, to G only, and haven't had any problems since.
    Quote Originally Posted by nickpl View Post
    A couple of things; first, the Sign In button will activate when it detects a password of the correct length for the type of encryption you are using, so that's normal, it even does that on the phones.

Otherwise I am having the same problem as you, my touchpad will disconnect randomly and when I look at available wifi I only see a very weak network (letís call it CT-ER), and none of the three very strong wifi networks that are in my house. What I have found (using inSSIDer on my windows 7 laptop) is that the CT-ER network is the ONLY 5GHz network in range, and it's so weak the signal fades in and out.

What I think is happening is that the touchpad prefers 5GHz networks, and there's a stupid bug in it where when it finds a 5GHz network it drops all 2.4GHz connections and only looks for 5GHz until it loses it and then it will look for any available network.

Anyone able to confirm this theory?
    good routers with lots of options are best here, ones with very little end up hurting us in the end, luckily i had the option to change Channel Auto, or 1 to 13, can change Mode to 11B/G/N/Mixed, and security to WEP/WPA,PSK/WPA2,PSK/MIXED WPA+WPA2,PSK)

luckily juggling them around can fixed a misbehaving router or device and its deffo worth people having a good rummage around their router setups.

Im currently set to 11N, Channel 6, WPA2,PSK and have been nice and stable/fast.
    I received a new touchpad today and had very similar issues.

OS: 3.0.0 - still trying to update to 3.0.2 but I think everyone else is too

Router Type: Netgear Rangemax Next Wireless Router WNR834M

Firmware Version: 1.4.07NA (which is a little older - latest version is 1.4.23 NA) WNR834M

I changed the following settings to get it to work. It was dropping about every 1-2 minutes and I would need to turn wifi off/on to have it reset. Now it has not dropped at all in about an hour.

Mode:
    To: 11 b/g

Security Options:
    To: WPA2-PSK[AES]

I changed these based on the feedback/intelligence in this and other threads. I am going to try to see if one impacts the performance more or less to try and narrow down, but these changes worked for me.

Thanks.
    I've been having the issues as well. Using a dir655, latest firmware

I'm on mixed network, channel 11, auto rate and channel.

what seems to have worked is WPA ONLY and cipher type AES

getting fast speed and stable. Hopefully I won't come back to edit this and say I spoke too soon.
    I have found that changing my WiFi network to channel 11 fixed my problems (so far at least) It seems like to me that the touchpad has issues with Channel 1-5 when there is a 5GHz network in range. I still have occasional issues, but now it is once a day instead of once every couple of minutes.
    Quote Originally Posted by bobbymd7 View Post
    I've been having the issues as well. Using a dir655, latest firmware

I'm on mixed network, channel 11, auto rate and channel.

what seems to have worked is WPA ONLY and cipher type AES

getting fast speed and stable. Hopefully I won't come back to edit this and say I spoke too soon.
    EDIT: still having issues, but less frequent yet still annoying. Turn off/on wifi does the trick. Im gonna try giving the touchpad a permanent IP address.
    I have problems keeps dropping off a dlink router needs to be turned off and on the wifi. For the normal laptop or watching netflix no problem
    So are there any routers that actually work all the time with these bugged up devices? I can't get on to youtube or even use the internet more than ~5% of the time. Updated to 3.0.2 68 via webOS doctor, but no internet?! What's the point?
    Global Posts
    28 Global Posts
    I have a Rosewill RNX-N4PS wireless router that I am using to connect to the internet. I have set it up as just a wireless access point. Using a wired router as the DHCP server connecting to the internet.

We were having trouble staying connected using out Touchpads. Usually we run it with the 'Broadcast ESSID' turned off, it seems that our Touchpads were losing the connection, so I turned it back on thinking that I needed to re-enter the password (WPA2). Once I did that they found it and were able to connect to the internet.

I did test to see if we could turn it back off and discovered that very soon after I had turned off the 'ESSID' the Touchpads lost the connection again. So I am now running with it turned on.

Not sure if this is a fix for any of you, but this seemed to fix our connection problem. Hope that this helps.
    My TouchPads have the same wifi problems everyone else has, on top of that it seems as if they screw up wifi for the entire house. All devices have to disconnect form wifi and reconnect. Sometimes only a reboot of the wireless router will fix it.
    Global Posts
    397 Global Posts
    I am having the exact same issue as you *****lyPete. Everything will get messed up and have to be restarted. This is a really annoying issue. I'm currently chatting with HP help online and they have been less than helpful.
    Global Posts
    397 Global Posts
    Just finish chatting with the moron on the online chat line. We went round and round. He asked me to do the diagnostic. Here is our conversation starting after he asked me to do the diagnostic:

7:33 AM Marcus:
    Did it pass now?
    7:34 AM Me:
    Yes but my internet is currently working right now
    7:34 AM Marcus:
    Alright.
    7:34 AM Marcus:
    Please try to contact us when it is exactly not working.
    7:35 AM Marcus:
    Mean while I will take this issue to my superwiser.
    7:35 AM Me:
    i've read online that tons of people are having this issue. Is this the first time you've heard of this? Have you guys not come up with a solution?
    7:36 AM Marcus:
    We are still working on it.
    7:36 AM Marcus:
    Our engineering team is working on this issue.
    7:36 AM Me:
    Is this something that will be corrected in an update?
    7:37 AM Marcus:
    I will personally take this issue ton my superwiser.
    7:37 AM Marcus:
    As if now we dont have any information regarding that.
    7:39 AM Me:
    What does that mean you will take this issue to your supervisor? What will they do?
    7:40 AM Marcus:
    They will try to bring an update as soon as possible.

FYI: I did not make his spelling mistakes, those are actually what he wrote. Sounds like HP is saying, "I have no clue how to fix this but I will say whatever I can to get you off my back."
    My issue based on troubleshooting is showing the same symptoms as Glassermikes (and likely others). We have 2 32 GB Touchpads in our house and a WRN3500 netgear router. Ive tried to change channels, WPA2 to WPA, statically assigned IPs, turned off access list protection.

I get 10-20% packet loss and 600~ ms average response time. The response time just gets worse as I go further from the router. The O/S is updated to the current version, same issue. I got my Chromebook out and noticed ping response time was 2-3 ms. I haven't tried to throttle down my N wireless setting on the router, but that would be really sad if that is the fix...especially if it is considered a long term fix. I'm at the point I am willing to purchase a new router (despite my router not being very old) to fix this issue, but with the variety of vendors people are reporting problems with on the HP TP it has to be an issue with the HP TP. I love the device so far, the OS is incredible. I hope HP is very aware of the issue and working on a fix...
    I'd like to add a 'me too' here. Was having the problems before the 3.0.2 update and after. Changing settings in the router has somehow lessened the problem, but it still happens.

It has been working fine for over 12 hours now on battery and overnight and I'm starting to believe it is either the touchstone dock or nearby wifi devices that affect it. So my possible culprits are (well, obviously this is a bug with the touchpad wifi drivers, but I'm trying to see what triggers it):
    1. Other devices on the same router
    2. Other devices in the vicinity interfering
    3. The touchstone dock when in operation interfering with wifi
    4. Some purely software bug triggered when charging (different power-saving profile?)

my two cents.
    My TP is working perfect with my fritz.box (german router) on 2.4GHz N 802.11 n+g channel 13 WPA+WPA2 on TS multible devices connected nearby DECT phone.
    It does not work on the 5GHz band.
    Quote Originally Posted by *****lyPete View Post
    My TouchPads have the same wifi problems everyone else has, on top of that it seems as if they screw up wifi for the entire house. All devices have to disconnect form wifi and reconnect. Sometimes only a reboot of the wireless router will fix it.
    Does this happen when your Touchpad isn't connected to the router? If so, then I think you have a router problem.
Page 7 of 23 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111217 ... LastLast