Page 21 of 23 FirstFirst ... 111617181920212223 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by stussy2870 View Post
    No dice on the testing, still the same behavior. Im sending it back to HP for repair. They sent me a box about a week ago when i first called in.
    Ok so my TP has been "Repaired"... i havent actually recieved it back yet but they did tell me that they replaced the "wifi-controller"... Not sure what that all entailed however it does appear that the problem i was having was NOT related to my router or routers.. or at least thats what im banking on since they "Fixed" it...
    Ok so my TP has been "Repaired"... i havent actually recieved it back yet but they did tell me that they replaced the "wifi-controller"... Not sure what that all entailed however it does appear that the problem i was having was NOT related to my router or routers.. or at least thats what im banking on since they "Fixed" it...
    Looking forward to hearing if it behaves differently when you get it.
    Ok so from the word go i've had WIFI issues with this thing.. 20 Pages of this thread hasnít really given me anything clear to do. Lots of try this or this worked for me scenarios but nothing concrete. (it is CRAZY awesome that there was this much to read and relate to BUT no so cool that im still broke)

My Issue specifically - Initially unable to complete out of box setup b/c of no networks being found. Addressed this by taking it to work and doing it there. Once on Wi-Fi i was able to turn Wi-Fi ON and OFF a thousand times until it finally connected to my home Wi-Fi. Once connected, it stays connected - If i reboot the TP i have a hell of a time getting it connected again. Sometimes it takes 5 mins of cycling the Wi-Fi, sometimes it takes multiple reboots of the TP and sometimes i have to run that command to remove wifi settings "# rm -rf /data/misc/wifi && reboot" . All in all Iíve NEVER experienced a connectiviy issue so unexplainable and unpredictable.

The only solution that i have verified (so far) to work on a regular basis is to run the command mentioned above.

Im fairly decent with this technology stuff ( do it for a living ) and it pains me to say this but im just beaten and im now willing to go buy another router even though mine is less than 1 year old, has not once had an issue and i actually really think its a fantastic router.. Im just out of options and energy for that matter...

so anyway, here are a few of my hardware and setup specifics-

Stock Touchpad first w/ JUST webOS then with cyanogenmod 7 (experienced same issues in both configurations)
    Asus RT-n16 - Initially w/ Tomato, then flashed back to stock b/c of this, then flashed again to dd-wrt.
    Tried individually and when applicable combinations of:
    Open, wep, wpa, wpa2
    Channels 1-13 (best low channel is 1, best high is 13- using 1
    10mhz, 20mhz, 40mhz and Auto
    broadcast and hidden SSID
    changed the Wi-Fi Policy to Never Sleep (on the TP)
    Static IP setting (on the TP)
    Change the device name (on the tp but cant remember where i did this) to less than 12 characters.

Im by no means a code writer, but on the surface this really looks like a driver issue. Theres something buggy in the way the TP handles Wireless connections, drops, scanning etc.. I only think this b/c running that command seems to reset everything and thats when it works. That sounds like a software/settings Caching issue to me..

I dont know.. I guess ill just throw more money at it...

oh and FWIW:
    Asus TF Prime, 2 Iphones, 1 Ipod, 1 Coby TP and 2 Laptops - not a single connectivy problem with any of them in ANY router configuration..
    My best results have been with wpa aes, 20mhz, broadcast ssid, static dhcp.. 40mhz is tempting but 20mhz gives better range.

Quote Originally Posted by DizWhiz View Post
    I just changed mine to these settings fingers crossed it helps stop the "wifi timeout after wake" thing I've had going on.
    Helped me as well.
    Try deleting all of the wireless networks except the your home one (the one that you are trying to connect to).
    Quote Originally Posted by Stan R View Post
    Try deleting all of the wireless networks except the your home one (the one that you are trying to connect to).
    Yeah, i did everything with my router, tried every posted scenario- nothing no matter what was done provided anything near a consistent wifi connection on the TP.
    Quote Originally Posted by texasflood View Post
    Looking forward to hearing if it behaves differently when you get it.
    So Yeah, this did absolutely nothing. I still had the exact same issue!!

I have however resolved it. I took my TP for a ride around the neighborhood, noticed that the TP was successfull scanning and "seeing" both secured and unsecured networks. this was NOT happening at my home. So, off to wallmart-- Bought a Belkin DB750 or D750 not sure which it is... Its the Dual Band 2.4/5ghz w/ 2 USB ports and 5 internal antennas. It was 99.00 dollars and from what i can tell thus far, all my problems are resolved

Network Settings are:

wpa/wpa2 personal
    20mhz
    Auto Channel
    Left both the 2.4 and 5ghz networks on
    Configured Guest Access

Thats all i can remember right now, but it is working..

Some other testing i did.. i enabled and disabled wifi on the TP about 20 times over the course of the first hour the new Router was in place, not once did it give me a problem reconnecting. There were also NO drops in the hours after it was configured and tested good..

I regret sending it back to HP b/c it was a pure waste of time.
    Oh man, I had my Touchpad working just fine since August, until yesterday. I got the new e4200v2 and now my touchpad has this problem. I was on the WRT610Nv1 before.

The downside of the E4200v2 is that it now uses a Marvell chipset, so I'm stuck with the stock firmware since DD-WRT and Tomato require Broadcom. I'm going to play around with the few settings I can change and see if it makes a difference. If I figure something out, I'll post here.
    Quote Originally Posted by brandonmarkb View Post
    Oh man, I had my Touchpad working just fine since August, until yesterday. I got the new e4200v2 and now my touchpad has this problem. I was on the WRT610Nv1 before.

The downside of the E4200v2 is that it now uses a Marvell chipset, so I'm stuck with the stock firmware since DD-WRT and Tomato require Broadcom. I'm going to play around with the few settings I can change and see if it makes a difference. If I figure something out, I'll post here.
    True that Tomato does only support a subset of Broadcom routers. But DD-WRT actually supports many more, just not Marvell, what is Cisco thinking? I'm happy with my older E3000 that runs either one. Saw that Amazon has refurbished E3000s for like $60. Newegg does as well, today only though. Actually looks like the newegg deal is new not refurb. FYI, mine was a refurb from Cisco and has worked fine, YMMV.
    Quote Originally Posted by nomisunrider View Post
    My touchpad has the same problems with wifi that I see here. It stops working even though it still shows connected to the wireless.

I have an 802.11N wireless router. It is a Trendnet TEW-633GR. I have it running in mixed mode (n/g/b) with auto WPA (supports wpa2 and wpa for older clients)

No other wireless device has ever had an issue with it, so I think the touchpad doesn't handle something properly...
    Quote Originally Posted by daylater View Post
    I had severe connection dropping issues with my TP(and only my TP) with my Dlink dir-655.

Changed my Beacon interval to - 75
    changed my RTS threshold to - 2304
    changed my fragmentation threshold to - 2304

Haven't had a single issue since! (Knock on wood)
    Quote Originally Posted by TigerDave99 View Post
    In the same boat. Also am a Network Engineer by day. Been following this thread for months. Strongly feel this is a driver issue and refuse to replace my TrendNet TEW-633GR router when I have the following connected to it and working just fine:

Wireless:
    1 Sony PlayStation 3
    1 Shuttle HTPC (using TrendNet wi-fi card)
    1 Dell Studio 17 laptop with integrated Dell Wireless-N card
    1 Roku XR
    1 iPod Touch (2nd gen)
    2 LG Optimus S cell phones
    6 D-Link DCS-930L Wireless-N cameras

Wired:
    1 Home-built tower PC with Intel Gigabit NIC
    1 Synology DS-211+ NAS
    1 HP LaserJet P2015dn printer
    Well I made the changes to my Trendnet router:

Changed my Beacon interval to - 75
    Changed my RTS threshold to - 2304
    Changed my fragmentation threshold to - 2304

So far, so good. It's been almost a week and no freezing issues yet.
    i was having very poor performance with my setup (Netgear with WPA2)

Changed to WPA solved all the issues, now it's blazing fast!
    Hi everyone,

I too have a Touchpad that for a few days had severe Wifi issues. I got my Touchpad as a birthday gift in November. Until early last week everything worked fine. Then it seemed to all of a sudden drop Wifi constantly. I'd put it in Airplane mode and then back and it would work for a few minutes and then dead again.

My router is a Linksys WRT54G (one of the early versions) it has custom firmware (Alchemy). So here's what happen. I was asked to setup a different router, a DLink DIR-632. Initially I had a lot of problems with the wifi on it. My iphone wouldn't stay connected more than a minute or 2. Flashed it with DD-WRT. But I was still have problems. I had an apparent lapse in judgement and set both routers to the exact same settings, including SSID. Which was causing the drop outs. After I changed SSID things worked more smoothly.

Now I was just using the Linksys and my Touchpad would drop out constantly. It had worked fine for months before. So I did some thinking. In the process of trouble shooting my above mishap I had set wireless security (WPA) to use TKIP+AES. Previously I had only used TKIP. So I set it back that way. Rebooted my Touchpad and I've had no problems for a week now. This could explain why when some people turned security off it worked fine.

My conclusion is that the Touchpads wifi driver needs some updating. I believe it's a firmware and NOT hardware issue. So sending it back to HP isn't going to help much in my opinion. It seems router settings cause the issue. Which is probably why both people using WebOS and Cyanogen mod see the same issue.

Hope this helps a few people out.
    I had lots of problems with TKIP but AES has been solid for me. I never really got round to trying the mixed TKIP+AES but not surprised it was problematic. I am a little surprised you have good luck with TKIP but I guess whatever works. But you're using Alchemy which I haven't run since probably around late 2005. Doubt there are many still running Alchemy although it was one of my first 3rd party Linux based router firmwares and I liked it at the time. After that I was mostly playing with the Alchemy fork DD-WRT and HyperWRT which led to Tomato in late 2006. Tomato has been my favorite since although DD-WRT is preferred by many.
    I agree, that the wifi issue is not hardware-related.
    Actually in my case, switching to CM9 fixed all my wifi issues.

I have a linksys E3000 router and I've tried changing the settings many times. Yet, I still have severe wifi issues.
    Now that I'm using CM9, my wifi signal has been rock-solid.
    I didn't have to mess with the wifi settings at all. I simply entered my password and it was done.
    Wifi signal is solid under CM9.
    Unfortunately, booting into webOS results in the complete opposite. I'm constantly plagued by wifi signal losses, which is why I now spend more time using CM9 instead of webOS.

The other issue I've noticed is that every time my TP loses the wifi signal (under webOS of course) is that it also forces the rest of my devices to lose their signal. Even my desktop, which is wired directly to the router, loses signal.
    It's bad enough that the TP loses it's wifi signal, but forcing every other device to lose internet connection in the process, regardless of whether those other devices are connected through wifi or a hardline.
    That is truly annoying.

Again, this only happens when the TP is in webOS and it's actually being used for something.
    Other than that, my internet connection is rock-solid. I can have my two laptops, smartphone, TP (under CM9) and my desktop all connected at the same time without losing internet connection. Therefore, it can't be a faulty router.
    I have an E3000 and it's working pretty good with my non-Android Touchpads. I'm running Tomato firmware and made those settings changes recommended earlier in this thread, think it was the below, and it did seem to improve my connection stability. Also set to wpa aes, 20mhz, broadcast ssid, static dhcp. Tried and removed the preware patch to wireless settings, it made things worse for me. Oh,I'm on WebOS 3.0.5. Even when I did have problems, it never had an impact on other devices connected to my router, I can't recall ever hearing of such a thing before, on any router, very odd.

Beacon interval to - 75
    RTS threshold to - 2304
    fragmentation threshold to - 2304
    I have an E3000 and it's working pretty good with my non-Android Touchpads. I'm running Tomato firmware and made those settings changes recommended earlier in this thread, think it was the below, and it did seem to improve my connection stability.

Beacon interval to - 75
    RTS threshold to - 2304
    fragmentation threshold to - 2304
    Yes, I changed those settings as well. Interestingly enough, for the first 3-4 days after changing those settings, I thought it had actually fixed the wifi issues.
    Then, it simply came back, and this time with a vengeance, LOL, because it's definitely worst than ever.

Only thing I haven't tried yet is changing the router's stock firmware.

Also set to wpa aes, 20mhz, broadcast ssid, static dhcp. Tried and removed the preware patch to wireless settings, it made things worse for me.
    I think I tried changing some of those settings as well, though not all at the same time.
    Also, I'm not too comfortable relaxing my security settings that much.
    I prefer having WPA2, hide SSID, dynamic DHCP and wifi MAC filter on.

I figure since you can't ever make your wifi signal hack-proof, I'll at least make difficult. LOL

Oh,I'm on WebOS 3.0.5. Even when I did have problems, it never had an impact on other devices connected to my router, I can't recall ever hearing of such a thing before, on any router, very odd.
    So it looks like I'm the only one with that particular problem.

I figure since, my wifi signal is great under CM9, I'm not going to mess with it anymore. At least for now.
    It's too bad because I do like using webOS, but without a proper wifi signal, and the fact that it affects my other devices, it's just not worth it.

Clearly, it's not the router's fault, but rather a software related issue, specific to webOS.
    Last edited by RIIXtreme; 02/10/2012 at 09:50 PM.
    Global Posts
    127 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by RIIXtreme View Post
    Yes, I changed those settings as well. Interestingly enough, for the first 3-4 days after changing those settings, I thought it had actually fixed the wifi issues.
    Then, it simply came back, and this time with a vengeance, LOL, because it's definitely worst than ever.

Only thing I haven't tried yet is changing the router's stock firmware.

I think I tried changing some of those settings as well, though not all at the same time.
    Also, I'm not too comfortable relaxing my security settings that much.
    I prefer having WPA2, hide SSID, dynamic DHCP and wifi MAC filter on.

I figure since you can't ever make your wifi signal hack-proof, I'll at least make difficult. LOL

So it looks like I'm the only one with that particular problem.

I figure since, my wifi signal is great under CM9, I'm not going to mess with it anymore. At least for now.
    It's too bad because I do like using webOS, but without a proper wifi signal, and the fact that it affects my other devices, it's just not worth it.

Clearly, it's not the router's fault, but rather a software related issue, specific to webOS.
    I just received my second TouchPad, (a 32GB refurb from woot.com) and it's rock-solid along with my original 16GB unit.

I'm running a NetGear WNDR3700 on both WEP (for all my old Palm devices), and WPA2 (for my /n notebook).

The TouchPad connects to either channel without a hitch! :-)

WyreNut
    Pre2/3/TouchPad, and TouchDroid user.
    Quote Originally Posted by WyreNut View Post
    I just received my second TouchPad, (a 32GB refurb from woot.com) and it's rock-solid along with my original 16GB unit.

I'm running a NetGear WNDR3700 on both WEP (for all my old Palm devices), and WPA2 (for my /n notebook).

The TouchPad connects to either channel without a hitch! :-)

WyreNut
    I'm glad to hear that.

I'm tempted to open my 2nd 32GB TP just to test it.
    But I doubt it'll be different.
    I've had my TPs since the firesale. I still haven't opened the 2nd one.
    Global Posts
    708 Global Posts
    Hey people,

I just managed to solve it on my Netgear WNDR3800: switched my 2.4GHz to fixed 54MHz and another, WPA-only (no WPA2) option showed up. Set it, Apply and wife's TP immediately started complaining about missing passwords.
    Last edited by szlevi; 02/10/2012 at 11:46 PM.
    I'm glad to hear that.

I'm tempted to open my 2nd 32GB TP just to test it.
    But I doubt it'll be different.
    I've had my TPs since the firesale. I still haven't opened the 2nd one.
    No matter how long you let it sit and ripen it won't turn into an iPad.
    The other issue I've noticed is that every time my TP loses the wifi signal (under webOS of course) is that it also forces the rest of my devices to lose their signal. Even my desktop, which is wired directly to the router, loses signal.
    It's bad enough that the TP loses it's wifi signal, but forcing every other device to lose internet connection in the process, regardless of whether those other devices are connected through wifi or a hardline.
    That is truly annoying.

This problem may be two fold. The E3000 has been known to reboot for no apparent reason. Which is what's happening to you. That's why all your connections are lost. Why the Touchpad is making the router reboot I have no idea yet. But people using none stock firmware aren't having that issue. Linksys/Cisco used to make such great products. Not sure what happen. But for now I'm pinning it on the WebOS wifi driver. The Android driver is different since the CyanogenMod team didn't have the source code for it. They still don't. It's missing from the Android source code HP gave them a few days ago.