Page 19 of 23 FirstFirst ... 914151617181920212223 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes
    So I decided to upgrade my 6+ yo wrt54g v.1 to a Linksys e3000 and it looks like the wifi issues was from my old router. I know not everyone will want to buy a new router just for the tp, but I know it was time to upgrade to 802.11n simultaneous dual-band for me. Can anyone using tomatousb on the e3000 recommend settings?

Sent from my HP Touchpad using Tapatalk
    This has been driving me nuts since day one with my TP connecting to a WRT54G V8.2 router. I show connection but internet or anything else will be offline. I have tried numerous security settings or no security. Works when ever it wants. Sometimes as many as two or 3 days at a time. Anytime it won't connect to the linksys I can attached my two wire wireless router without issues. It has gotten worse after 3.0.4 in my case.
    Last edited by blake711; 10/30/2011 at 04:47 PM.
    I seem to be having some of the same issues mentioned here with wifi issues after updating to 3.0.4. But mine seem a little different. It is weird. When I click on the wifi icon at top right and then click on Wi-Fi I get the little white spinning circle next to "Wi-Fi" and after a few seconds it connects and I get the check mark beside my SSID name. But if I click out and click back on the Wi-Fi icon at top right it does the same thing...little white spinning circle and after a few seconds it connects. But everytime I click out of the drop down menu it seems to lose connection and I can't get on the internet. I have only had this problem since updating, and all my other items on the network are connecting just fine. I just tried to power off and on my router and modem and it didn't help.

My TP has always been laggy on the internet and kind of slow overall, even after overclocking and doing many of the little tweaks that were suppose to make it quicker. I would be really ticked off if I had paid $500 for this POS. $100 is borderline overpriced as far as I am concerned.

With this many people having issues hopefully they will have another update pretty soon to resolve these issues. Otherwise I am tossing this POS in the closet and leaving it there as it is useless in its current condition.
    I put dd-wrt on my router last night to see if that makes any difference since stock firmware last update was a couple years ago. Was working this morning and last night. Will have to see if it can last a week.
    I am still having wifi issues with my TP after 3.0.4 although they seem to be less frequent. I am going to try and borrow a couple TP's and use a different router to see if there are different results.

-Kevin
    I have two 32GB TP. The first few days when I got them, it's almost impossible to go internet smoothly, after browsing every couple web pages, I have to close and restart wifi connection.

Finally I upgraded my router's firmware to the latest version, to see if it makes any difference. Since firmware upgrade is done, my TP goes to internet without any problem, fast and smooth. All pages load fast, I can open and load several pages at the same time, some with heavy flash stuff. Really happy with that.

My routher is Linksys WRT54G v2.2, firmware was upgraded to Ver.4.21.4, it added a whole lot more functions to the router. Almost all settings are default, except I set up router name and wifi shared password. Wireless security is set to WPA2 Personal, algorithm is TKIP+AES. Everything else is kept default.

Hope this helps someone.
    Forgot to mention that I set my TP's wifi to shut down on sleep mode. After wake up, just wait a couple seconds, wifi connection comes back again. Since firmware upgrade, I haven't seen any wifi problem with my TPs yet. Also my TP's OS has been upgraded to 3.0.4 the first day I got them.
    thanks for the tips! After doctoring , I set an ip and the router to optimize video streaming to the tp. Visio router
    Quote Originally Posted by blake711 View Post
    I put dd-wrt on my router last night to see if that makes any difference since stock firmware last update was a couple years ago. Was working this morning and last night. Will have to see if it can last a week.
    After I flashed my router to dd-wrt the latest stable firmware for my router WRT56G V8.2 it has been stable for the last week. Haven't had to restart my router or TP one time since doing this.
    Global Posts
    52 Global Posts
    I do not believe that the basic wireless issue is the access point. I have a Linksys E4200 that I have tried various firmwares and settings on it for TP wireless issues. I also have 2 PCs, a Nook Color running CM 7.1, Android phone all work without issues. TP will have connection issues where the wireless indicates connected but cannot browse web. Get not connected message. Currently running with n only on 5gig. This seems to work better for me. Before someone says this, yes I have scanned the 2.4gig channels and I am using a channel no one else is on.
    I have also had same issue at work where Cisco wireless APs are used. I am a member of the wireless support at work and no other devices have connection problems and there are lots of different devices. The TP does fail.
    So in my experience the TP is the only device with issues. This issue smells of a wireless driver to me. This is particularly based on experiences with Intel wireless issues that were similar but fixed by driver update at work. WebOS devs need to address this. --bill
    Last edited by myersw; 11/05/2011 at 02:03 PM. Reason: update
    Global Posts
    148 Global Posts
    I had connection issues right out of the box with my TP, it would not resolve DHCP with WAP/WAP2 on the router. A full flash of the TP with WebOS Doctor corrected the problem. I was a corrupted upload/update. Be certain your battery is charged before doing the update!!! I takes about 1/2hr on the TP.
    I too am having the WiFi issue.. I even switched my router and still have the same problem. When the tp and router get out of sync the only thing I can do is either reboot router or enter ip address manually.. All my other wireless devices including my pre- still connect fine, so I'm thinking its a tp issue
    p.s. The battery drains really, really fast while this issue is happening
    Global Posts
    148 Global Posts
    It will run down faster with WiFi on. If its not connected and sees the router you have setup for it before. It will keep on attempting to connect over and over to it. This will run down your battery. Webos Doctor!
    Quote Originally Posted by myersw View Post
    I do not believe that the basic wireless issue is the access point. I have a Linksys E4200 that I have tried various firmwares and settings on it for TP wireless issues. I also have 2 PCs, a Nook Color running CM 7.1, Android phone all work without issues. TP will have connection issues where the wireless indicates connected but cannot browse web. Get not connected message. Currently running with n only on 5gig. This seems to work better for me. Before someone says this, yes I have scanned the 2.4gig channels and I am using a channel no one else is on.
    I have an E3000 running Tomato and connect fine with 2.4GHz 802.11N. 5GHz doesn't give me adequate range. I also use 20MHz channel width for the same reason. How did you scan 2.4GHz, specifically was it a way that would show hidden SSIDs? Also did you take into account that 2.4GHz 802.11N spans multiple channels? If you have Tomato as I think you previously posted, it's probably more reliable to check the interference level in the router status overview page. Also check that WMM is enabled on the router and bluetooth coexistence if applicable.

I have also had same issue at work where Cisco wireless APs are used. I am a member of the wireless support at work and no other devices have connection problems and there are lots of different devices. The TP does fail.
    "does fail" is not very descriptive so difficult to comment on but point taken that other devices seem to not have issues.

I So in my experience the TP is the only device with issues. This issue smells of a wireless driver to me. This is particularly based on experiences with Intel wireless issues that were similar but fixed by driver update at work. WebOS devs need to address this. --bill
    I agree with the suspicion that the wireless driver isn't perfect but the only issues I've personally seen is it "falling asleep" for lack of a better description, and apparently limited range. Recommend you open a case with HP and offer logs for diagnosis if you have an issue and want it fixed.
    Global Posts
    52 Global Posts
    Texas
    Scanned using insider on windows pc. The version I run will show hidden. Yes I take into account that 40 spans Multiple channels. Been in this racket since wireless came out.
    The does fail refers to previous comments above in the post.
    On my E4200 I have run the latest victek, 9007, and latest Toastman, 0407.1 I am quite close to the router so do not have the weak signal issue with 5Ghz like you do. Both of these firmware versions have had Dropped connections. Usually the wireless icon still shows to be connected but browser will give a cannot connect message. One time I tried to ping the TP when in this condition and was successful. All the more reason to suspect driver issue with interface to OS. Can get going again be turning wireless off and back on. I assume this cycles things.
    --bill
    Last edited by myersw; 11/06/2011 at 04:36 PM.
    I fixed the frequent wifi drops from my WRT330N by doing the following:

1) Install Preware
    2) From Preware, install XTerm and Xecutah
    3) Open up Xecutah, and from there, open up an XTerm session
    4) Type this command into XTerm: "ping -q www.SomeWebsite.com", where SomeWebsite is a website of your choosing (google, microsoft, etc...).

Leave Xecutah running and then proceed to use your TouchPad as usual with hopefully no more wifi drops. I think this keeps your connection alive by constantly pinging a website about 2-3 times every second. I've been using this trick for the past several days and so far, I've had no dropped connections. Some video streaming occasionally stop, but that isn't due to the wifi dropping, as I can still browse the web after that happens. Please note that if you do lose connection for any reason (turning on airplane mode or in sleep mode), you'll have to input the ping command once more after getting a connection back.

If you want to test the waters to see if this will work without doing all of the above first, download TuneIn, an internet radio app, and start playing a station. Leave it in the background, and then start using the Touchpad as usual. If your wifi doesn't drop, then that is a good indication that the ping trick will work. I discovered this trick accidentally while playing TuneIn - I noticed that my connection never dropped, which is probably due to TuneIn keeping in constant communication with the Router. Usually my connection drops within 3-5 minutes. Prior to this, I've tried practically every suggestion made, with no happy results.

Hope this helps!
    I was using a Dlink dir 655, N, wpa2 aes, and was disconnecting and rebooting router every 10 to 15 mins....I switched to Netgear wndr3700 v2, N, wpa2 aes, and have not one single outage since I made the switch two weeks ago. It has worked perfectly and have not had a single issue, no drops, great range. I upgraded to latest firmware at time of install, and since then not a single problem.
    Adding my 2 cents. I just picked up an Asus RT-N10+ router (Ralink chipset). The TP absolutely refused to transfer data. It would connect, but after 1-2 seconds data would stop and programs would report no internet connection (even tho the wifi indicator was on). Recycling the wifi would fix the problem for another few seconds before it crapped the bed again.

Needless to say I was NOT happy.

Bright side is that after I flashed it with DD-WRT it's working like a charm. Absolutely no problems so far (I'll update if this changes). Kinda looks like the issue is software-related, not hardware.
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainFabulous View Post
    Bright side is that after I flashed it with DD-WRT it's working like a charm. Absolutely no problems so far (I'll update if this changes). Kinda looks like the issue is software-related, not hardware.
    I made a post almost a month ago 11-5 about flashing my linksys to dd-wrt. Since I did that I have no had a single connection issue with my TP.
    Global Posts
    35 Global Posts
    I had severe connection dropping issues with my TP(and only my TP) with my Dlink dir-655.

Changed my Beacon interval to - 75
    changed my RTS threshold to - 2304
    changed my fragmentation threshold to - 2304

Haven't had a single issue since! (Knock on wood)