Page 16 of 23 FirstFirst ... 61112131415161718192021 ... LastLast
Like Tree9Likes
  1. Bo
    Global Posts
    196 Global Posts
    I never had a problem with my wireless setup until I took it over a friends house and connected it to his network. Since my TP has been back to its home location and original WiFi profile I've had to restart my WiFi multiple times. I just made the touchpad forget my network and set it back up again and it was placed first on the list of stored profiles. I'll test this out for a couple of days and see what happens, although I don't think it will take that long since when the error occurs, it usually happens multiple time within a few minutes if I'm streaming video or something.
    This has nothing to do with wifi issues, but I thought I would throw it in here, because this made browsing internet faster on my laptop and TP. I changed my Comcast DNS to the one recommended here after performing its test:
    namebench - Open-source DNS Benchmark Utility - Google Project Hosting
    After I ran the test on my PC, it said changing the DNS (to the one it suggested 8.8.8.8) would be "86%" faster than the one Comcast assigned, and it is noticibly faster now, particularly on my laptop.
    My router, a netgear wireless G, updated itself, but I didn't have to reboot my PC.
    Here is my story and solution.
    My TP is about 6 weeks old and has never performed well on my home network. The symptoms include:
    - "Unable to load page errors" in browser (basic and advanced)
    - Video streaming is slow to start and usually fails after 10 to 20 seconds (YouTube)
    Windows laptops in the same room access the same resources without issue. The TP always works very well at a local coffee shop and when I use FreeTether on my Pre2.

My home router is a Netgear WNR3500L and has worked well for a year with multiple wired and wireless clients in the house. Since the TP was the only device with issues I suspected it was the problem, but the solid performance while connected to an alternate WiFi network confused me. I tried disabling WPA2 encryption, changing channels, and updating the router to the latesot firmware. Each change was made and evaluated for at least 1 day, nothing helped. I bought a Netgear Range Extender since our router is a fair distance from the family room. The windows wireless clients report better signal strength, but the TP continued to struggle. Turning off and on WiFi on the TP will usually clear the unable to load page problems for a while, but streaming media has rarely been helped.

I finally decided to try dd-wrt on my router since mine is supported. I flashed the router and configured my TP. All of my problems have vanished. The windows clients are still fine and now the TP is perfect. Streaming videos now work fine, I can't think of a better way to stress test the TP, any ideas?

Bottom line: If you are still struggling with a TP and WiFi, consider a new router or try an open source firmware if you can.

Lee
    Just to add my issues - I'm running an E3000 Router with DD-WRT .. my TP disconnect issue seems to be related to range. When I am within a few feet of the router, the TP does fine and doesn't disconnect. When I start to go to other rooms, the TP begins to develop issues (just disconnects and having to turn Wifi On/Off to re-establish). Connecting to the G or N doesn't matter - same issues both bands. The signal is not a bad signal - multiple laptops and other peripherals have no issues connecting no matter where in the house. But the TP will develop problems once it starts to get away from the signal.
    I am a big fan of 3rd party firmware. I'm not sure why it's better. Best reason I can think of is there are folks who test and communicate, rather vigorously, with the developers in forums if there are issues. Communication between normal users and vendor developers is to my knowledge virtually nonexistent by comparison.
    Quote Originally Posted by eryeal View Post
    Just to add my issues - I'm running an E3000 Router with DD-WRT .. my TP disconnect issue seems to be related to range. When I am within a few feet of the router, the TP does fine and doesn't disconnect. When I start to go to other rooms, the TP begins to develop issues (just disconnects and having to turn Wifi On/Off to re-establish). Connecting to the G or N doesn't matter - same issues both bands. The signal is not a bad signal - multiple laptops and other peripherals have no issues connecting no matter where in the house. But the TP will develop problems once it starts to get away from the signal.
    Maybe consider running Tomato instead on your E3000. That's what I run on mine. I'm usually, like now, upstairs on the other side of the house from mine. I'm nearly never within a few feet of my router and not seeing any unusual disconnects.

The TP did disconnect earlier today but so did my laptop. Haven't figured out what happened there yet but it was very unusual for my setup and not unique to the TP since the laptop showed the same issue. Maybe my new neighbor running a microwave, don't know.
    Well, fate likes to make folks liars. I just now had the Touchpad seemingly lose it's network connection. The movie I was watching stopped and I wasn't able to restart it so tried pinging it from my laptop and no reply. I touched the wireless icon on the touchpad to check it an boom started pinging ring away. Seems like it had "fallen asleep". Wonder if there is any way to run a script to ping something and give it a kick if the ping is lost? I have no idea how to do this in WebOS. Fortunately this hasn't happened much to be as of yet but had to admit that I have observed it at least this once so will keep a watch for it in future.
    Quote Originally Posted by eryeal View Post
    My problem exactly...and I'm running out of ideas and patience. I believe I've tried everything short of a new router...
    Quote Originally Posted by mbrown1000 View Post
    My problem exactly...and I'm running out of ideas and patience. I believe I've tried everything short of a new router...
    What happened to me earlier reoccurred several times today since. Weird, it's either never happened before or I never noticed it. It appears like I'm connected from but if I ping it from elsewhere by it's assigned static IP, it won't ping, like the touchpad has lost it's dhcp lease but doesn't know it. Well actually that's just a guess. My DHCP leases are set for a week now, I could set the lease time very low and see what that does. Guess I should just take it one step at a time and see what I can figure out. I should have gone into xterm and checked but didn't think about it. As an experiment I set the same IP I've been assigning to the touchpad but as a static IP set on the touchpad itself and haven't seen the symptom since. Going to leave it like this for a bit then probably switch back to dhcp. Then if I see the symptom again of not being able to ping it I'll go into xterm and do an ifconfig to see if the IP address is still assigned. If it is and not pinging then I don't know, guess I'll cross that bridge when I get there.
    Just a quick update on my issues.

I recently replaced my faithful DLink DIR-655 with a Linksys E4200 and everything runs beautifully now
    Quote Originally Posted by beradon View Post

I recently replaced my faithful DLink DIR-655 with a Linksys E4200 and everything runs beautifully now
    I flashed my Netgear with dd-wrt as a final shot at avoiding a new router purchase. My research had led me to the Linksys E4200 and it is still on my short list if I start having problems. I am on day 2 with my flashed router and all is near perfect. I did have a minor snafu last night, but restarting TP WiFi cleared it and has been perfect since. So far, I rate the improvement at 95%. Glad to hear about your E4200, that will be my next move.

Lee
    Quote Originally Posted by beradon View Post

I'm jealous. The E4200 is nice. Glad it's working for you.
    Some (though not all) Target stores have the E4200 on clearance for as much as half off. I picked one up new in box for $79.99 (regular price is $159), I know some people that have found them for about 25% off as well.
    wow that's a realy good deal for a pretty nice router. Also its got me wondering if its due to be updated shortly since its on clearance at that price. The only thing I don't like about the E4200 is it doesn't have external antennas. otherwise I might pick one up myself to replace my DIR-655.
    The DIR-655 does have a few firmware features that the E4200 does not have (but nothing I cant live without), but fortunately DD-WRT and Tomato are being worked on for the E4200 (they are completely incompatible with the DIR-655 because of the type of processor it uses).

Even if it is being clearanced for a newer model, the new one will come out at full price, I'd rather pay half off of a 6 month old one than full price for a new model when it probably doesnt have any additional features over the current one. And as far as I can tell, Target is the only one doing this, so it may just be that Target is reorganizing certain stores, cause 4 of the 5 Targets around me still had it for $159... A coworker of mine found them for $79 about an hour from me and I found it for $79 at one close to me, so its a bit hit or miss.
    Here is a problem I am hoping someone can help me with. My wife and I each have a touchpad. Hers keeps losing the WiFi connection while mine does not. We both have the same set up. Instead of using the auto find we have entered the IP address for the router. So I am not sure what is going on with her TP.
    Global Posts
    148 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by beanctr10 View Post
    Here is a problem I am hoping someone can help me with. My wife and I each have a touchpad. Hers keeps losing the WiFi connection while mine does not. We both have the same set up. Instead of using the auto find we have entered the IP address for the router. So I am not sure what is going on with her TP.
    I had considerable trouble connect to WAP/WAP2 configured routers. It turned out to be a corrupted build of software. Since the solution was to re-flash it purging everything.

This requires the implementation of WebOSDoctor for the current flash. You MUST have your touchpad near fully charged > 85% but I would go all the way as I did. You can brick the Touchpad if it's charged enough. Call the HP WebOS team and they will guide you threw the process as they did for me.

Afterwards I have tested on three different locations and I am able to connect normally and DHCP works allocating the IP addresses that you as I did manually which was the only way for it to work at all.

Good luck
    I may try and WebOSDoctor my TP but in the meantime I believe I have found a work around to keep my TP connected. With all these issues, I decided to load preware and the x-tools so I could do some command line testing. I wanted to run a ping test once I noticed my TP had lost connectivity. Interesting enough, when i run xterm and ping my router, I never loose my wifi connection. I just leave the xterm session running pinging the router the whole time and it seems to have do the trick for some reason. This has worked for the past 3 days. Last night I rebooted, started surfing and lost my connection. I turned wifi off, then on, then ran xecutah, then xterm, then ping <gateway address>, and i never lost my connection for the next 1.5 hours. This is interesting because in the past, once I have dropped my connection, I would be plagued by connections problems the rest of the time unless i restarted my TP. Some of you others might give it a shot. For what it is worth, my router is a D-Link DIR-655 Firmware 1.35NA, WPA2 only (AES), g&n band.

-Kevin
    Thanks, I'll try that to Kevin. I haven't had many problems. Lately though either I've had a sporadic issue with the WiFi seeminlgly "falling asleep" (not sure how else to put it). Well either the issue started recently or my usage pattern and/or attention to detail changed such that I just started to notice an issue what was always there, I was thinking about a script to ping the gateway and kick the wireless if it failed but wasn't sure how to do this on the touchpad. But if a simple ping works then that's easy. Thanks.
    Global Posts
    148 Global Posts
    I am not sure if this is a N protocol issue since your router supports it. My router is G and I don't have any timeout issues. Either the router is releasing the device or the WiFi in the TouchPad is turning off when not in use for some time.
    I don't think it is either of those issues you mentioned and here is why. When i failed to connect, my router shows the device online. My TP also shows eth0 as up, however I can't ping the router. So i don't think the wifi is just turning off. Given the number of issues people are having, I suspect it is the TP having issues. There are people on here with two TP's and one will have the wifi issues. If it was a router issue, I assume both TP's would be dropped. And the widespread issue of the TP's across multiple routers also leads me to believe it is a TP issue.

Never the less, this is annoying....