Page 15 of 23 FirstFirst ... 51011121314151617181920 ... LastLast
Like Tree9Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by mbrown1000 View Post
    I have a WRT-54G v6. I'm having the same dropping connection, not getting connection, and all the other problems as others have mentioned. I've tried every channel on the router, wpa, wpa2, tkip, aes, tkip+aes, etc... nothing seems to help. I have many other wireless devices around the house with no issues whatsoever, cell phones, laptop, even my wife's B&N Nook Color rooted with CM7. What is up with the wi-fi chipset or software in the TP??? Anyway, does anyone have any advice? Or, if I just need to give up and try a different router, what do others that aren't having any problems use?
    I've the same issue with my tp. Everything else connects while the TP seems to be dropping signals all the time
    Global Posts
    876 Global Posts
    It even seems to have become worse over time in my case... It always disconnects when the screens turns off and it sometimes loses connection when I'm busy on the TP..

I rememeber on my Pe at a certain time they had added an option leave Wifi on or off during sleep, but I can't find it on the TP.
    Probably a stupid question, but do you have wireless set to turn off when the screen turns off under Setting->Wi-Fi->Wi-Fi drop down menu->Sleep Settings? Maybe not but I had to ask.
    Has anyone found a way to get a TP to work if you can't access your own network? On the phone with tech support for almost two hours and conferenced in with D-Link. All our other devices are working on the network, but it keeps saying can't connect when trying to connect our "hours old" TP. After two hours, D-Link support says it's not the router, and of course HP support says it is. I seriously doubt its the router since all the other devices -- including the print server -- are working.

Router is D-Link WBR - 2310 and we are using WEP. They wanted us to change the settings on all the other devices in order to "maybe" get the TP to connect. Can't do that as I work from home and can't chance that my computer might not work after making those changes.

For something that is supposed to be pretty much "plug and play" it is a real pain to not be able to get past the language page on the setup. (That's all I've successfully set up.) What good is it going to do to have a TP, if we can't even use it on our own network for access to the internet.

Is there a re-set or something else that might jump start it into being recognized by the network. It sees the network, I'm able to select the network, and all goes fine until we enter the wep encryption password. (And yes, I'm sure we are entering it correctly.) Then is spins for a while but comes back with the message "Can't connect. Try again"

We've tried having it actually as close as "touching" the router when trying to access the network, re-cycled the router, "tried again" probably close to 50 times.... Getting pretty desperate here....

Anyone have some help?
    Quote Originally Posted by noseph View Post
    I would recommend that you flash your WRT54G V6 to dd-wrt following the instructions at Flash your WRT54G or WRT54GS v5 series (v5, v5.1, v6) - DD-WRT Wiki. Once you have it configured set your connection to WPA2 AES and you should have no problems with your TouchPad.
    So after the pain staking install process everything seems to be working fine. No dropped connections so far! Thanks!
    noseph likes this.
    drkmship, did you update WebOS to 3.0.2? Did you try entering the actual WEP key, not just the pass phrase? I've seen pass phrase incompatibility before. The router GUI should list the actual key somewhere in the GUI so might try that. Do you realize that any kid can download multiple tools from the Internet that will decode WEP in a matter of minutes? If you work from home I'd think security might be an issue. WPA/WPA2 PSK AES is stable and much more secure.
    Last edited by texasflood; 10/06/2011 at 03:13 PM. Reason: Typo
    Global Posts
    775 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by texasflood View Post
    I prefer Tomato now but DD-WRT is pretty good and runs on a lot more routers than Tomato. I do use DD-WRT on one router that won't run tomato. It's come a long way since the early day when I first tried it back before Tomato existed.
    I would also prefer Tomato, however it is only supported on WRT54G V1-V4. The newer versions (V5 and above) have half the memory and cannot run Tomato, the only option is DD-WRT for these models.
    Quidquid Latine dictum sit, altum sonatur.

Palm III -> Palm V -> Viewsonic Pocket PC V36 -> Treo 650 -> Samsung i760 ->
    Palm Pre Plus -> Palm Pre 2 > Samsung Galaxy Nexus & HP TouchPad

Android 4.1 - Samsung Galaxy Nexus
    CM9 Alpha 2 Official Nightly w/WebCM9 0.4 - HP TouchPad

Twitter: @noseph47
    Global Posts
    775 Global Posts
    So after the pain staking install process everything seems to be working fine. No dropped connections so far! Thanks!
    Glad to have helped.

I would also prefer Tomato, however it is only supported on WRT54G V1-V4. The newer versions (V5 and above) have half the memory and cannot run Tomato, the only option is DD-WRT for these models.
    Yup, that's why I run DD-WRT on my WTR54GS. FYI, although still limited on router models supported compared to DD-WRT, TomatoUSB and it's variants also run a number of other models, it started with the Asus RT-N16 and includes my Cisco E3000.
    Last edited by texasflood; 10/06/2011 at 08:09 PM. Reason: Clarity
    Glad to have helped.
    Spoke too soon. Definitely better than it was but still getting some drops. Still much much better.
    Just an FYI, this seems to be a problem with HP's wifi chip. My Pre had the exact same issues my TP is having (and the Pre was used while I was away for college so completely different routers)
    I have started to notice the same problem on my Pre3 aswell as my TouchPad

this is really annoying
    Quote Originally Posted by violence View Post
    Just an FYI, this seems to be a problem with HP's wifi chip. My Pre had the exact same issues my TP is having (and the Pre was used while I was away for college so completely different routers)
    Quote Originally Posted by gderoiste View Post
    I have started to notice the same problem on my Pre3 aswell as my TouchPad

this is really annoying
    What problem are you guys referring to? The connection drops mbrown1000 mentioned? Just trying to be clear what problem is being discussed.
    Global Posts
    775 Global Posts
    Spoke too soon. Definitely better than it was but still getting some drops. Still much much better.
    You may want to look at tweaking some of the Advanced Wireless settings. If you don't have any 802.11b devices on your network I would set Wireless Network Mode to G-Only. I also have several Bluetooth devices so I have set Bluetooth Coexistence Mode to Enabled. I have also experienced a problem in the past with my Microwave Oven causing connections to drop, just a thought.

http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php...existence_Mode

You may want to look at tweaking some of the Advanced Wireless settings. If you don't have any 802.11b devices on your network I would set Wireless Network Mode to G-Only. I also have several Bluetooth devices so I have set Bluetooth Coexistence Mode to Enabled. I have also experienced a problem in the past with my Microwave Oven causing connections to drop, just a thought.

Advanced wireless settings - DD-WRT Wiki
    Good point about Wireless Network Mode and Bluetooth Coexistence Mode. I have my 802.11G devices set to G only and 802.11N devices to mixed N and bluetooth coexistence enabled. If you've loaded DD-WRT, Tomato, or other firmware, it's probably worth checking the online forums associated with that firmware.

Some other examples. With Tomato, and maybe this also applies to DD-WRT, 801.11N speeds seem to require WMM to be enabled, 3rd party firmware allows setting transmit power higher than default which sometimes helps but not always, setting 802.11N channel to wide increases speed but reduces range, finding the right channel with low interference is critical, auto channel selection seems to always cause problems in my experience, TKIP encryption is insecure/unreliable, and there are many other settings that can help in specific situations.

With regard to microwaves, the RF frequencies from older models affect the higher 802.11{x} channels worse than the lower. So unless you plan on replacing your microwave oven for a newer model, then try channel 1, or lower then channel 6 if that doesn't work.

I suspect many of the problems with touchpads are related to internal antenna with relatively limited range. Suspect, but really have no proof.
    What problem are you guys referring to? The connection drops mbrown1000 mentioned? Just trying to be clear what problem is being discussed.
    Main gripe that I have is that the TP will sometimes (more times than not) drop connection when it goes to sleep (and yes and I have the wifi set to stay on during sleep). As long as I am relatively close to the router (about 10ft.) I can just turn wifi off, turn it back on and it will re-connect. However, as I go to my bedroom and get further away from the router (approx. 30 to 40ft. through a few walls) it will just lose connection in the middle of browsing and will not reconnect. I can turn wifi off and on until my finger bleeds, it will find my router, shows full strength, but gives me an "Unable to Authorize" message (or something like that). I have a wifi printer, wife's nook, and various other devices that have no problem staying connected at even further distances than it takes for the TP to crap out. It worked great the night that I did the DD-WRT install but it probably had more to do with the multiple hard resets. So am I going to have to do a hard reset every night just so I can lay in bed and surf the web??? (at least until CM7 is ready)

I will try the Bluetooth Coexistence Mode and G-only suggestions when I get home from work.
    Good point about Wireless Network Mode and Bluetooth Coexistence Mode. I have my 802.11G devices set to G only and 802.11N devices to mixed N and bluetooth coexistence enabled. If you've loaded DD-WRT, Tomato, or other firmware, it's probably worth checking the online forums associated with that firmware.

Some other examples. With Tomato, and maybe this also applies to DD-WRT, 801.11N speeds seem to require WMM to be enabled, 3rd party firmware allows setting transmit power higher than default which sometimes helps but not always, setting 802.11N channel to wide increases speed but reduces range, finding the right channel with low interference is critical, auto channel selection seems to always cause problems in my experience, TKIP encryption is insecure/unreliable, and there are many other settings that can help in specific situations.

With regard to microwaves, the RF frequencies from older models affect the higher 802.11{x} channels worse than the lower. So unless you plan on replacing your microwave oven for a newer model, then try channel 1, or lower then channel 6 if that doesn't work.

I suspect many of the problems with touchpads are related to internal antenna with relatively limited range. Suspect, but really have no proof.
    My problem appears to be very much range related...
    DoobieDoo, could it be a range issue? From what I've seen/read, the Touchpad doesn't have great antenna. If so since you have two routers perhaps you could set up a bridge to give better coverage? Not sure just asking. I have connected mine via WRT54G running Tomato firmware with no noticeable problems.
    TexasFlood - Apologies for the delay (4 days in fact- doh..slower than an un-clocked Pre-). I haven't been following the thread closely; I guess maybe I'm a bit resigned to this suffering?

In response..it would be hard for me to believe it's a range issue - I've had the TP disconnect while I've been right in front of the Router. I do have a Carbon Fiber Skin It on the back - that shouldn't affect the antenna, right?

Technically I have 3 routers - 1 wired, 2 wireless. My current set up has the 2 wireless routers on separate sub networks, under my wired. I use the DIR-655 for all default traffic (including my Pre+) with full security. I then use the Linksys WRT54GS just for the TP with no WPA/WEP- only MAC filtering; I keep it right on my desk within each reach so I can power cycle at a moments notice without affecting the rest of my network. And oh yeah.. Bluetooth coexistence is enabled - which does slow down the number of disconnects, but has not prevented them.
    - - - - - - - - - - -
    Gone to digital heaven:
    ..Palm Pilot M100
    ..HandSpring Visor
    ..Kyocera 6035
    ..Treo 600/755
    ..Centro
    - - - - - - - - - - -
    Reviewing this thread - I'm struck by how some people have no issues - and others have them in spades, even with similar hardware.

Could this be an issue of TP being over sensitive to conflicting signals?
    I know people have reported success by changing to unique channels - but I wonder if the issue might even go deeper than that... Stray Microwaves - or maybe even channel scanning by other routers?
    - - - - - - - - - - -
    Gone to digital heaven:
    ..Palm Pilot M100
    ..HandSpring Visor
    ..Kyocera 6035
    ..Treo 600/755
    ..Centro
    - - - - - - - - - - -
    My problem appears to be very much range related...
    Well. If you're running DD-WRT now, you can check the System Information (this link is a simulated DD-WRT sysinfo page) page for details of your client connections and get some idea of the signal quality. Using the Tomato equivalent right now I'm seeing a very strong signal right now from my Touchpad.

Another huge advantage IMHO of checking this info is the ability to see the effect that moving your router has on client performance. I remember years ago with a router I actually no longer use, I found one position on my desk where it covered the house optimally and literally moving it 1/4 inch from that spot would significantly degrade the signal in some part of the house. It's kind of painstaking work, you have to move it then like take a laptop around and measure, giving it 30 seconds to a minute to settle down to get a good measurement. But it's really only the problem spots, furthest away or obstruction blocked, locations that you have to worry about.

Another thing you can try which sometimes helps with a router that has dual external antenna like WRT54G models... If you have both antenna straight up, try turning one into another plane, or horizontal, 90 degrees from the other, sometimes gives the router a better path and the router will use the best path as long as you haven't set it to force using one antenna or the other which you can do in firmware like DD-WRT.

Good luck, hope you can stabilize your touchpad Wi-Fi.