Page 14 of 23 FirstFirst ... 4910111213141516171819 ... LastLast
Like Tree9Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by rstark View Post
    No 802.11n for me. Due to the distance of my router and my wireless devices, I get faster throughput with g than n. My setup works with no issues.
    What sort of N, 2.4GHz, if so 20MHz or 40HMz, 5GHz? Lots of potential variables there. For best range I've found 2.4GHz N with 20MHz is best. There are articles over on smallnetbuilder describing the limits of 5GHz and how "wide" 40MHz 2.4GHz N is typically slower than "narrow" 20MHz 2.4GHz N unless you're close to the router. And the attributes of the client are important as well, might be limited on what is supported. I don't really know what the limits of the touchpad wifi are, but mine is working adequately so far, knock on wood.
    I swapped to AES and mixed mode g/n and it fixed my issue.
    Cubtop likes this.
    Global Posts
    10 Global Posts
    I am still having problems with my Linksys WRT54G router connecting to my TP. I went to Customer support and we tried changing from Mixed b/g to g changing channels, partial & complete reboot, and changing DNS to 8.8.8.8. I am using WPA2 Personal on AES. I am still having problems with the TP disconnecting when the unit sleeps or is on exhibit mode. I basically have to turn WIFI on and off again or a reset for the WIFI to get connected again. After it sleeps, the WIFI says "ON" and states that its connected to my WIFI, but I cannot access any site, use any internet apps or reach 192.168.1.1.
    Quote Originally Posted by hmm... View Post
    I am still having problems with my Linksys WRT54G router connecting to my TP. I went to Customer support and we tried changing from Mixed b/g to g changing channels, partial & complete reboot, and changing DNS to 8.8.8.8. I am using WPA2 Personal on AES. I am still having problems with the TP disconnecting when the unit sleeps or is on exhibit mode. I basically have to turn WIFI on and off again or a reset for the WIFI to get connected again. After it sleeps, the WIFI says "ON" and states that its connected to my WIFI, but I cannot access any site, use any internet apps or reach 192.168.1.1.
    What version of WRT54G? I had no trouble with mine, but I'm not running the Linksys firmware on mine, I'm running Tomato firmware on mine.
    Global Posts
    10 Global Posts
    WRT54GS

Firmware Version: v1.51.0

edit: It's stock firmware.
    Quote Originally Posted by hmm... View Post
    WRT54GS

Firmware Version: v1.51.0

edit: It's stock firmware.
    What Version of WRT54GS? Up through v4 those were pretty good. After that they switched horses to VxWorks then started to cut the memory. Might still be able to get an alternative firmware on there but gets more complicated and limited on the options.
    The TouchPad WiFi driver is broken & needs an update. In the mean time we have to work around it. Mine stopped working every few minutes to every few hours, both in heavy use (streaming video) and idle (background processes). It would not start working again until WiFi on the TouchPad was turned off and back on. The problem still happened with static IP (not a DHCP problem). No IP addresses were reachable (not a DNS problem).

This was with a D-Link DIR-655 n @ 2.4GHz, 40/20MHz, WPA2, standard settings. The Touchpad was getting 100% signal strength, connecting @ 65Mbps (max on one 20MHz channel).

A workaround that has had my TouchPad on WiFi reliably for a week now was to set the WAP/router the same way as to work around an old iPhone problem: Beacon 75, RTS 2304, Frag 2304 (under Advanced WiFi settings).

A Win XP laptop with Intel WiFi had a similar problem until I updated to the latest Intel drivers. A wide variety of other devices have been working perfectly with both the old and new WAP settings.
    Global Posts
    913 Global Posts
    I agree. It's not well. But it seems worse with this site. That may be because of the routing from my house - but for whatever reason, I get more "cannot load" messages against this forum than any other site.

My wifi device is an MSI one - but I've had issues with a Cisco one too. Both devices were no more than 20- feet from the TP.

Alan

Alan
    All i did was get a wifi scanner and see what channels all the networks around used, tried a few that nobody else uses and i get better reception and speeds on all my devices, touchpad works better too
    Global Posts
    775 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by texasflood View Post
    What Version of WRT54GS? Up through v4 those were pretty good. After that they switched horses to VxWorks then started to cut the memory. Might still be able to get an alternative firmware on there but gets more complicated and limited on the options.
    I have just updated my WRT54G V8.0 to dd-wrt V24 using the instructions found at Linksys WRT54G v8.0 & v8.2 - DD-WRT Wiki. Well worth the effort and pretty much a full featured dd-wrt.
    Quidquid Latine dictum sit, altum sonatur.

Palm III -> Palm V -> Viewsonic Pocket PC V36 -> Treo 650 -> Samsung i760 ->
    Palm Pre Plus -> Palm Pre 2 > Samsung Galaxy Nexus & HP TouchPad

Android 4.1 - Samsung Galaxy Nexus
    CM9 Alpha 2 Official Nightly w/WebCM9 0.4 - HP TouchPad

Twitter: @noseph47
    Quote Originally Posted by noseph View Post
    I have just updated my WRT54G V8.0 to dd-wrt V24 using the instructions found at Linksys WRT54G v8.0 & v8.2 - DD-WRT Wiki. Well worth the effort and pretty much a full featured dd-wrt.
    Cool. I have a Linksys travel router, think the model is WTR54GS, which is very similar on flashing process and allowed builds. I thought it was worth the effort as well and wouldn't go back. Well in fact I can't go back as the dd-wrt devs never tested & published that process as far as I know, but wouldn't do so anyway,
    Sigh... Still having Wifi issues.

Router 1 - Linksys WRT54GS (flashed to dd-wrt.)
    Router 2 - Dlink DIR 655 (which I purchased to solve problems with #1).

In a nutshell - frequent disconnections and I can't figure out what the real cause is. Sometimes I can hold a connection for days - even a week.

Sometimes a simple re-connect from the TP (by flipping the Wi Fi On/Off in Prefs) will solve - and in other cases, I have to re-boot the router itself and only then I can re-connect.

It does seem like intensive downloads can trigger a disconnect. It's not a range issue, since I get strong signals all over my house - and all my other wireless devices have no issues with either of these 2 routers.

Frustrating as all heck. Just wish I could find the reason or even a recommended router list from HP - so I could buy a router that would consistently hold a connection. I've come to believe it's a very low level driver/chipset issue of some kind.
    - - - - - - - - - - -
    Gone to digital heaven:
    ..Palm Pilot M100
    ..HandSpring Visor
    ..Kyocera 6035
    ..Treo 600/755
    ..Centro
    - - - - - - - - - - -
    DoobieDoo, could it be a range issue? From what I've seen/read, the Touchpad doesn't have great antenna. If so since you have two routers perhaps you could set up a bridge to give better coverage? Not sure just asking. I have connected mine via WRT54G running Tomato firmware with no noticeable problems.
    Global Posts
    775 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DoobieDoo View Post
    Sigh... Still having Wifi issues.

Router 1 - Linksys WRT54GS (flashed to dd-wrt.)
    Router 2 - Dlink DIR 655 (which I purchased to solve problems with #1).

In a nutshell - frequent disconnections and I can't figure out what the real cause is. Sometimes I can hold a connection for days - even a week.

Sometimes a simple re-connect from the TP (by flipping the Wi Fi On/Off in Prefs) will solve - and in other cases, I have to re-boot the router itself and only then I can re-connect.

It does seem like intensive downloads can trigger a disconnect. It's not a range issue, since I get strong signals all over my house - and all my other wireless devices have no issues with either of these 2 routers.

Frustrating as all heck. Just wish I could find the reason or even a recommended router list from HP - so I could buy a router that would consistently hold a connection. I've come to believe it's a very low level driver/chipset issue of some kind.
    Even though my main router is a WRT56G V8.0 running dd-wrt V24 I generally connect my TouchPads to an Asus RT-N56U running as an access point, which gives me 802.11N speeds on my LAN. We have two TouchPads and have never had any disconnect issues.

Global Posts
    876 Global Posts
    Didn't go through the complete thread, so excuse if asked already. Do we have any confirmation that HP is working to fix this is a next OTA update? If there even will be a new update.
    You'd have to be more specific about what you expect to be fixed. I haven't heard of any confirmed fix or even a confirmed bug for that matter. Supposedly HP has admitted to an issue connecting to non-broadcast SSIDs. I haven't seen that in writing but it's not an uncommon problem really. And the configuration options for wireless seem pretty inadequate so folks can't configure what is needed for more complex configs therefore can't connect. Most, not all but most, of the issues I've seen in this thread had ended up being the same sort of wireless issues that are always discussed in wifi forums and resolved with router configuration or upgrades. If anyone disagrees please correct me,
    I have a WRT-54G v6. I'm having the same dropping connection, not getting connection, and all the other problems as others have mentioned. I've tried every channel on the router, wpa, wpa2, tkip, aes, tkip+aes, etc... nothing seems to help. I have many other wireless devices around the house with no issues whatsoever, cell phones, laptop, even my wife's B&N Nook Color rooted with CM7. What is up with the wi-fi chipset or software in the TP??? Anyway, does anyone have any advice? Or, if I just need to give up and try a different router, what do others that aren't having any problems use?
    Quote Originally Posted by mbrown1000 View Post
    I have a WRT-54G v6. I'm having the same dropping connection, not getting connection, and all the other problems as others have mentioned. I've tried every channel on the router, wpa, wpa2, tkip, aes, tkip+aes, etc... nothing seems to help. I have many other wireless devices around the house with no issues whatsoever, cell phones, laptop, even my wife's B&N Nook Color rooted with CM7. What is up with the wi-fi chipset or software in the TP??? Anyway, does anyone have any advice? Or, if I just need to give up and try a different router, what do others that aren't having any problems use?
    Worked fine on my WRT54GTM running Tomato firmware, WPA PSK AES, G only., no problems connecting, no drops. maybe not a fair comparison. Except for being Linksys WRT54Gs, the hardware is somewhat difference, although similar, and the firmware is difference since I don't think a v6 is supported by Tomato. It also connects fine to my Cisco E3000 running WPA PSK AES in mixed N mode. I read the chipset is Qualcomm/Atheros AR6003 - Single-chip 802.11b/g/n Wi-Fi
    Global Posts
    775 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mbrown1000 View Post
    I would recommend that you flash your WRT54G V6 to dd-wrt following the instructions at Flash your WRT54G or WRT54GS v5 series (v5, v5.1, v6) - DD-WRT Wiki. Once you have it configured set your connection to WPA2 AES and you should have no problems with your TouchPad.

Quote Originally Posted by noseph View Post
    I would recommend that you flash your WRT54G V6 to dd-wrt following the instructions at Flash your WRT54G or WRT54GS v5 series (v5, v5.1, v6) - DD-WRT Wiki. Once you have it configured set your connection to WPA2 AES and you should have no problems with your TouchPad.
    I prefer Tomato now but DD-WRT is pretty good and runs on a lot more routers than Tomato. I do use DD-WRT on one router that won't run tomato. It's come a long way since the early day when I first tried it back before Tomato existed.