Page 13 of 23 FirstFirst ... 389101112131415161718 ... LastLast
Like Tree9Likes
    I've only tried this a few times so cannot confirm it works every time, however, whenever I encounter this issue lately I open an xterm and run dhclient. It then starts working again after it gets a new DHCP lease.

Maybe there is some problem with the DHCP implementation?
    just browsing while waiting for friend and wanted to quickly chime in.. Please don't flame me for not reading through whole thread.. My set-up is Qwest m100 with asus rtn 130 (something like that) set as a repeater..

I mysteriously got "association failed" and IP config failed messages.. Only an issue at home-- all other networks were fine... What I finally did and now things work (not guaranteeing a direct correlation between what I did and things working again.. Could've been a fluke for all I know!)

1. Unplugged my asus repeater.
    2. Reset qwest m100 modem/router.
    3. Somehow was able to connect TP to router.
    4. Quickly went to wifi prefs and turned off auto IP and assigned a static IP.

been good to go since then.. Obviously step 3 is the mystery to me-- already restarted TP several times, toggled wifi.. None of that worked but upon resetting my router modem was able to finally connect.

again, may have been a fluke! YMMV

add'l info:
    my blu-ray player connected to internet via ethernet cable from the asus repeater-- that was also having connection issues.. I wonder (totally clueless) if the TP somehow created an IP conflict, thus killing internet for TP and BR-player??

anyways, just wanted to share in case this might help someone! Don't flame me for being ignorant, clueless, and lucky to have my wifi working again!

also, running in "G+N" mode
    Last edited by booyapre; 09/20/2011 at 10:43 AM.
    I'm 99% sure this is a patch issue. I erased all of my homebrew patches and ruled around with it for a few hours without a single hangup, whereas I would experience it regularly before.
    Quote Originally Posted by Infinite Jest View Post
    I'm 99% sure this is a patch issue. I erased all of my homebrew patches and ruled around with it for a few hours without a single hangup, whereas I would experience it regularly before.
    I also removed the patches, went back to Wireless G and N and it happened again right in the middle of browsing. Went back to G-only and no problems. I think the TP has problems with some routers when using N.
    There are historical issues with chipsets playing together nicely. For example, Broadcom based routers historically have issues with Intel. Seems like I read before what the touchpad uses but can't recall at the moment. Perhaps folks are having such an issue. I can say I've had no problems with the touchpad and my Broadcom based routers, either G or N, well at 2.4GHz anyway, my 5GHz is awful all around, just not enough range.
    Quote Originally Posted by bobbymd7 View Post
    I also removed the patches, went back to Wireless G and N and it happened again right in the middle of browsing. Went back to G-only and no problems. I think the TP has problems with some routers when using N.
    This was my thought, thus the reason for wanting to switch routers. I have a feeling the touchpad is strictly 802.11n compliant whereas a lot of these other routers are still running under some revision of the draft n specs.

Quote Originally Posted by crucialcolin View Post
    haha yeah I was thinking of doing the same thing. Only problem is the DIR-655 is still one of the most powerful routers on the market even today. If I remember correctly it still has one of the faster cpus out there. Also it has an very high max simulations connection rate. Very few can outperform it unless your willing to spend some money and go up into the business class range.

*edit oh yeah I was thinking about the E3200 or E4200 as well. I don't like the fact they don't have external antennas though likely reducing the range potential. The DIR-655 not only has external antennas but they use standard removable external antennas that can be upgraded if the need ever arises.

As for my decision of the e3200 vs e4200 instead of my dir-655 is for a few reasons. First, dlink hasn't seen fit to give me a firmware update in almost a year. In addition, despite the popularity and supposed performance of the dir-655, the results from benchmarks just don't show it

http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/lanwa...er-charts/view

The dir-655 sits mid-to-bottom of the pack in most situations. I almost purchased the Asus black diamond today from newegg since it is on sale (with an email coupon code), except ddwrt and other open source firmwares won't install on it

Plus, even if the processor in the e4200 is drastically underpowered, which I doubt, at 480mhz vs the dir-655's 275mhz, its still almost twice the speed, and while I know MHz isn't everything, it'd need to be archaic to fall behind a processor running at half the clockspeed.

Finally, I'd like something dual band since I have 5ghz capable devices now, which I didn't before
    Last edited by beradon; 09/20/2011 at 05:35 PM.
    bobbymd7 likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by beradon View Post
    I have a feeling the touchpad is strictly 802.11n compliant whereas a lot of these other routers are still running under some revision of the draft n specs.
    Not sure but I can tell you that my touchpad works fine both with my E3000 and 2.4GHz N only as well as an older WRT54GL and G only. Both Broadcom based and no issues at all. I did have intermittent problems with 5GHz on the E3000 but chalk it up to the poor range I see on all devices with 5GHz.
    Quote Originally Posted by texasflood View Post
    Not sure but I can tell you that my touchpad works fine both with my E3000 and 2.4GHz N only as well as an older WRT54GL and G only. Both Broadcom based and no issues at all. I did have intermittent problems with 5GHz on the E3000 but chalk it up to the poor range I see on all devices with 5GHz.
    The E3000 is a full N spec router, not draft n like the dir-655 and many others. I think the reason G works fine is the specification for G has been set for years and years, so even a draft N router still runs under full G specs. The WRT54GL is a full G router.
    Yeah no real interest in 5 GHz wifi myself. I don't realy see the point even if you did have devices that support it since 2.4 GHz works better anyways that is unless of course you wanted a dual band/radio setup.

one of the things the DIR-655 does very well at is maximum simultaneous connections. Its near the very top of the list. That's what I look at for performance more then overall wan to lan throughput since most internet connections speeds are only a fraction of what any router can handle anyways. It's interesting while the DIR-655 supports about 22k connections the E3200 gets only about 12k in benchmarks.

I did a little research and one of the problems with the E3200 is it doesn't work so well with DD-WRT right now. 5ghz support is broken altogether and there is no real interest fixing it either. So I guess you would want to use some other open source firmware like tomato otherwise your back to being stuck with manufacture provided firmware support again just like the dlink Probably better to go with the E4200 if you want DD-WRT support.
    Last edited by crucialcolin; 09/21/2011 at 12:36 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by crucialcolin View Post
    Yeah no real interest in 5 GHz wifi myself. I don't realy see the point even if you did have devices that support it since 2.4 GHz works better anyways that is unless of course you wanted a dual band/radio setup.

one of the things the DIR-655 does very well at is maximum simultaneous connections. Its near the very top of the list. That's what I look at for performance more then overall wan to lan throughput since most internet connections speeds are only a fraction of what any router can handle anyways. It's interesting while the DIR-655 supports about 22k connections the E3200 gets only about 12k in benchmarks.

I did a little research and one of the problems with the E3200 is it doesn't work so well with DD-WRT right now. 5ghz support is broken altogether and there is no real interest fixing it either. So I guess you would want to use some other open source firmware like tomato otherwise your back to being stuck with manufacture provided firmware support again just like the dlink Probably better to go with the E4200 if you want DD-WRT support.
    aye, the e4200 is what I'm going to do. It has the more powerful processor and the price for a refurbished one from Cisco homestore is quite affordable.
    Mine just quit working after being fine since I got it a few weeks ago. I left it in my backpack for a few days and the battery ran dead, and since then no wireless at all. I use mine at work and we have multiple access points with security and without and different models that I know are working and did work with my touchpad beforehand. I've done 3 soft resets, and went into wireless preferences and forgot the networks and rejoined them, but still no go. I've done the always leave wireless on, and turned wireless on and off also.

I don't really want to do a hard reset, but thats starting to look like my last option.
    Global Posts
    809 Global Posts
    I upgraded from an Airport Extreme v4 to an Airport Extreme v5 and most of my issues have gone away. The older model must have been interfering with my other routers because I got the hangups when connected to any of them. It was when some of my other devices started having similar problems that I decided that it might not be all the TouchPad's fault.

I also have anecdotal confirmation that removing patches does help. Now that the hangups happen so infrequently, I'll start adding them back one at a time.
    Palm III->Palm IV->Palm V->M130->Tungsten->Treo 270->Treo 600->Treo 700->Palm Pre Plus->FrankenPre 2->Pre 3 & TouchPad
    My issue is, weak wifi signal. My phone receives full strength and can easily connect, but the TP will be intermittent and lose connection, receiving only half strength.
    Down with the BourgeoisOS oppressors, webOS users unite!
    I have occasional wireless problems between touchpad and dir 655

I just came across this which reminded to check the antennae

faq full view
    Well it's not just me which is good. I just started using my touchpad today with dir-655 and am experiencing connection drops. I have to turn wifi off and on to get it to work again. Is there a way to enable just G on the touchpad? I don't want to turn my router to G.
    Quote Originally Posted by inocent View Post
    Well it's not just me which is good. I just started using my touchpad today with dir-655 and am experiencing connection drops. I have to turn wifi off and on to get it to work again. Is there a way to enable just G on the touchpad? I don't want to turn my router to G.
    Yeah thats a problem I was wondering the same thing myself. I suppose you could probably do it if you had dev mode enabled and access to the terminal or shell since it is linux in one of the configuration files. Its been awhile since I've setup wifi in linux without a GUI so i forget how exactly but maybe you can add a line to /etc/network/interfaces to limit the radio in the TP to G speeds.
    Global Posts
    12 Global Posts
    1- Mine worked fine for a month. Then the router had a firmware update, kept working fine for 3 days after that, then one morning woke up to see it dropping after less than 30 seconds. Tried all hacks in this topic, no luck.

2- FIX: I got it working (only 30 minutes so far, hope keeps up) by:
    - Setting up a guest network on router admin (basic guest network suggested before did not work- only with below settings worked)
    - Set it to WEP (not WAPs) and made it not broadcast SSID so only I know of it
    - Chose a "WEP PassPhrase" of 8 letters (from A to E only)
    - Pressed generate key and used the key as my logon password

3- inocent's post gave me the idea to post this below:
    http://forums.precentral.net/app-req...wn-tp-bug.html

4- I will ask Cyanogenmod team to make the same patch for their new Webos/Android dual port (Webos/Gingerbread)

Hope someone makes the linux patch soon.
    Last edited by washere; 09/26/2011 at 10:18 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by inocent View Post
    Try iwconfig
    Global Posts
    809 Global Posts
    I noticed something... When I got into a hang situation, I could still open up the router's interface via the browser, but I couldn't ping anything on the other side. Opening an Xterm and typing "dhclient eth0" gets it going again. This tells me that somehow the touchpad is losing the connection information (gateway, nameserver, etc.) prematurely.
    Palm III->Palm IV->Palm V->M130->Tungsten->Treo 270->Treo 600->Treo 700->Palm Pre Plus->FrankenPre 2->Pre 3 & TouchPad
    Quote Originally Posted by ggendel View Post
    I changed the wpa2 encoding from tkip to aes and the WiFi has been hanging on all night. I've been testing it in an area that has given me lots of problems before. On my D-link, this was a drop down setting under the encryption page. On my apple airport express, I changed the setting from wpa/wpa2 to wpa2. I hope this lasts and can be verified from others with WiFi problems. If so, we can report a tkip bug to HP.
    TKIP -is- a bug. I had trouble with it for years, nothing to do with HP. Just say no, AES is both more secure and more reliable, don't look back.