Page 12 of 23 FirstFirst ... 2789101112131415161722 ... LastLast
Like Tree9Likes
    So I finally got the TP wifi working again after some tinkering with my linksys wrt54g with tomato firmware. I was using channel 11 (WPA2/AES), then switched to channel 6. After doing that I have had no issues so far (knock on wood).
    DizWhiz likes this.
    Global Posts
    342 Global Posts
    NO idea how lucked out but I have the dreaded DIR-655 set to broadcast G/N and my new 16GB touchpad is working just fine on my network. Near the base I got 22Mbps/4.5 and at the furthest 10/3.5.
    I spoke too soon. I'm getting the no internet connection dreaded message again
    Last edited by runagun; 09/14/2011 at 08:11 PM.
    I'm experiencing the same issue on 2 touchpads.

Both are running 3.0.2 with unthrottle and dropped packet logging preware patch, however one is running muffled logging and the other isn't (probably doesn't matter but I figured I would note the similarities and differences).

My router is a D-link dir-655 hardware a2, firmware 1.35NA.

network settings appear to be irrelevant but I changed them back to what I had initially which is:

802.11n and g
    channel 20/40 MHz
    WPA2
    AES only

I've tried only g, only n, n/g/b together, WPA only, wpa2/WPA auto, tkip only, aes or tkip, 20mhz channels only, blah blah blah

Obviously no other devices experience any issues (phones, zune hd, laptops, etc)

A thought I had was about hardware revision and firmware. People with DIR-655 and zero issues, are you on hardware a1/a2 or b1. You can find out by logging into your device and checking the upper right hand corner or turn over the router and read the label.
    Last edited by beradon; 09/15/2011 at 11:24 AM.
    Global Posts
    15 Global Posts
    It's not just the Dlinks...that's the problem.

I've tested 6 diff routers, including a WRT-54G running DD-WRT. Same problem on all of them. Definitely the touchpad.
    Global Posts
    17 Global Posts
    Hi. Just picked up a 16 gb Touchpad today from CompUSA in Chicago. I am having the same problem that some of you have experienced in this forum with the wifi.

My router is a Netgear WGR614 v7, set to b and g with WPA2-TPK (AES). The TP finds my home network and says it's connected but when I use the apps to access the web, I get the No Internet Connection message, even though the wifi icon shows full strength signal and the TP says it's connected. While the apps can't access the web, my mail app seems to download all the latest e-mails, so I assume I'm suffering from intermittent connection issue.

Of course, when I disable the security and set my router to open, I don't have any issues with internet connections.

I've tried the online HP chat to rectify this problem but he was totally useless. I told him many were suffering from similiar issues but he said there wasn't any issues with the TPs with the wifi.

Can someone help or have a fix? Thanks.
    I think I read success with linksys faeries
    Global Posts
    164 Global Posts
    I wonder if it's anything to do with the particular chipset within the routers / access points...I have problems with my Belkin WAP but no issues with a Huawei mifi-type device.

Andrew
    Global Posts
    17 Global Posts
    I've disconnected my Netgear router and the Comcast cable modem and connected all back. Took heck of a time to get the router to sync with the modem. I've reset the router settings back to WPA2-TPK (AES), Channel 9, b&g mode, typed in my passkey and now the TP seems to be working. Will see if my issue is resolved by resetting the router.
    Hey everyone, I was having problems myself on the D-Link DIR-615 RevB1. The router would seemingly stop responding and not allow any network access, including the computer connected directly to the router. This problem started occurring soon after we bought the TouchPad. I tried many different options, some working better than others, but none actually resolving the problem. This router is pretty heavily used, with at least 3 computers using the router at once (one being a gaming PC) and two mobile devices including the TouchPad. The problem seemed to occur every time we would turn on the TouchPad and start using the internet on it. It was frustrating because it would happen frequently, and the only solution was to unplug the router and plug it back in to reset it (or pressing the reset button, but that erases all of your settings, so I never used it).

I was just browsing around Google one day having the router problem in mind. I don't remember what exactly I searched, but I found this guide on D-Link's forums concerning iPhone connection problems.

Well, I had nothing to loose, so I figured I would try it. I followed the directions exactly, and surprisingly my network now works fine without the disconnecting problems. It may not be as stable as I'd like, with rare minor connection problems, but nothing so big that requires a router reset. Here are my wireless settings:

Mixed 802.11g and 802.11n
    Wireless Channel 8 (manual)
    Channel width 20/40MHz auto
    Visible Network
    WPA-Personal security mode
    WPA2 Only with AES Cipher type.

This helped me tremendously, and I hope that someone else out there finds this helpful.

Thanks!
    Kiotie
    No problems so far. I'm running a PfSense based WIFI router on a small ASUS laptop. I have the internal WIFI adapter set to Access Point mode as a 802.11g network. Works great.

My only big complaint about the wifi adapter is the lack of range. I wish we could boost the output of these adapters. When I stand right next to my router, I still only get 2 bars of signal. In terms of range, it's no better or worse than an iPod touch. My laptop does fare better, but not by much, so I shouldn't be complaining.
    Hey everyone, I was having problems myself on the D-Link DIR-615 RevB1. The router would seemingly stop responding and not allow any network access, including the computer connected directly to the router. This problem started occurring soon after we bought the TouchPad. I tried many different options, some working better than others, but none actually resolving the problem. This router is pretty heavily used, with at least 3 computers using the router at once (one being a gaming PC) and two mobile devices including the TouchPad. The problem seemed to occur every time we would turn on the TouchPad and start using the internet on it. It was frustrating because it would happen frequently, and the only solution was to unplug the router and plug it back in to reset it (or pressing the reset button, but that erases all of your settings, so I never used it).

I was just browsing around Google one day having the router problem in mind. I don't remember what exactly I searched, but I found this guide on D-Link's forums concerning iPhone connection problems.

Well, I had nothing to loose, so I figured I would try it. I followed the directions exactly, and surprisingly my network now works fine without the disconnecting problems. It may not be as stable as I'd like, with rare minor connection problems, but nothing so big that requires a router reset. Here are my wireless settings:

Visible Network

This helped me tremendously, and I hope that someone else out there finds this helpful.

Thanks!
    Kiotie
    Unfortunately I just tried this on my dir-655 and experienced the same disconnect issue within 5 minutes of applying the new settings

Honestly, at this point my dir-655 is getting somewhat long in the tooth. It has served me well over the years (4.5 years at this point I think), but I think it is time to replace it with something that has a little more power and dual band. I'm also tired of owning a router that I can't use custom firmware on.

Planning on picking up either a Linksys E3200 or E4200
    Last edited by beradon; 09/17/2011 at 03:23 PM.
    Global Posts
    818 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by hsk1610 View Post
    I tried the online HP chat to rectify this problem but he was totally useless. I told him many were suffering from similiar issues but he said there wasn't any issues with the TPs with the wifi.
    This is a real problem for me. I've been an early adopter and have an open ticket for months. It had been escalated to level 3, and I have sent several logs with no resolution. I finally gave up after working with several different brands of routers, and oodles of different settings. If they can't even acknowlege that there is a problem by this time, I'm not a very happy camper.

My company qualifies, configures, and sells lot of HP servers. I may have to consider a change in policy in light of this kind of technical incompetence.
    Palm III->Palm IV->Palm V->M130->Tungsten->Treo 270->Treo 600->Treo 700->Palm Pre Plus->FrankenPre 2->Pre 3 & TouchPad
    Quote Originally Posted by kiotieii View Post

Visible Network

Thanks!
    Kiotie
    Here's mine FYI haven't changed since before I got the touchpad & works fine with the touchpad:

802.11n only, using 2.4GHz, 5GHz is crap with everything
    Wireless Channel 11 (manual)
    Channel width 20MHz
    Visible Network
    WPA-Personal security mode with AES
    Might it be related to one of the Preware patches? I noticed that after I deleted all of my preware patches before I sent my TP to HP, the issue of the internet suddenly dropping out disappeared. I'm not the only one who has noticed this either. TouchPad loses internet connection - Page 4 - Support Community (last post)
    Just started having this problem on my TP.. i am on an open connection tho and my laptop works fine and TP does not, any ideas?
    I've had this issue and found that a simple WiFi off and WiFi on, did the trick. This problem also made me change my sleep setting to WiFi off so it would refresh more often.
    Global Posts
    502 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by *****lyPete View Post
    My TouchPads have the same wifi problems everyone else has, on top of that it seems as if they screw up wifi for the entire house. All devices have to disconnect form wifi and reconnect. Sometimes only a reboot of the wireless router will fix it.
    Had same problem...

Using a Tenda w307r wireless N router. Read some things in this thread and decied to update the firmware on my router and that seems to have fixed it. The Touchpad was working fine for almost a month then started to have these problems.

I will report back if it messes up again. I think the hardware is fine on both. They are just having a communication problem
    Quote Originally Posted by beradon View Post
    Unfortunately I just tried this on my dir-655 and experienced the same disconnect issue within 5 minutes of applying the new settings

Honestly, at this point my dir-655 is getting somewhat long in the tooth. It has served me well over the years (4.5 years at this point I think), but I think it is time to replace it with something that has a little more power and dual band. I'm also tired of owning a router that I can't use custom firmware on.

Planning on picking up either a Linksys E3200 or E4200
    haha yeah I was thinking of doing the same thing. Only problem is the DIR-655 is still one of the most powerful routers on the market even today. If I remember correctly it still has one of the faster cpus out there. Also it has an very high max simulations connection rate. Very few can outperform it unless your willing to spend some money and go up into the business class range.

*edit oh yeah I was thinking about the E3200 or E4200 as well. I don't like the fact they don't have external antennas though likely reducing the range potential. The DIR-655 not only has external antennas but they use standard removable external antennas that can be upgraded if the need ever arises.
    Last edited by crucialcolin; 09/20/2011 at 04:44 AM.
    QuayPad likes this.
    Besides the E3200 I was looking at the Cisco RV220W as well but at $259 its a little rich for my blood one of the nice things about it is it had a built in IPsec/SSL VPN servers.