Page 10 of 23 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213141520 ... LastLast
Like Tree9Likes
    Looks like i spoke too soon wifi does indeed drop out or disconect when im using the TP on my dlink dir-655. Ive even seen it happen when im using the device browsing without the screen diming. I supose the question is what is the best way to get hp to fix this? Im not sure what would best method of reporting it to them and producing Solid proof thats theres a problem with certain routers like the dlinks? Unfortunetly i may not be of much help as i have set logging to minimal levels on my TP. Also interesting to note the wifi issues seems to have gotten worse over time in my case when connected to my dir-655 either that or i didnt notice it at first. Athought streaming media never worked.
    crucialcolin,

Does it reconnect shortly after it disconnects or do you have to toggle wifi off and back on to get it to reconnect? And how quickly / frequently does it disconnect?
    As requested: for my works on webOS patches and apps. Twitter: @larryboytw Patches: Small icons browser start page, 5x5 launcher. I have an AAS CIS Programming degree. I enjoy working on open source projects and alpha and beta testing.
    http://install.preware.org/ for easy to get up and running for patches and apps.
    Global Posts
    15 Global Posts
    I'm having the exact same issue. Works great for a few, then the second the touchpad goes to sleep, things go to hell. no idea how to fix.
    Global Posts
    15 Global Posts
    I should also mention my router is an e2000, so it's not just the Dlink. Also happens on an airport at work or basically any 802.11n router i've used.
    Global Posts
    15 Global Posts
    Interestingly enough, my wife's TouchPad doesn't have this issue, even when they are sitting side by side. Only seems to be limited to certain ones.
    If you're having a problem with a D-link router, use G-only. That's the only setting that seems to work. I have 4 touchpads being used in the house and no problems for almost a week.
    I have an older Linkage G router. Both my son's and my Touchpad drop connections. Tonight I set my security back to WPA personal. I also set WiFi to stay on while sleeping. I'll see if that helps.

All other devices stay connected fine.
    Quote Originally Posted by betam4x View Post
    I'm having the exact same issue. Works great for a few, then the second the touchpad goes to sleep, things go to hell. no idea how to fix.
    Is wifi set to sleep when the device sleeps? If so you could try changing it to keep wifi on when device sleeps. Not the best solution since keeping the wifi radio on will consume battery. Probably not of too much concern. I haven't really done much testing but battery life probably isn't as critical to us as it is on our smartphones.
    As requested: for my works on webOS patches and apps. Twitter: @larryboytw Patches: Small icons browser start page, 5x5 launcher. I have an AAS CIS Programming degree. I enjoy working on open source projects and alpha and beta testing.
    http://install.preware.org/ for easy to get up and running for patches and apps.
    Quote Originally Posted by StoneRyno View Post
    crucialcolin,

Does it reconnect shortly after it disconnects or do you have to toggle wifi off and back on to get it to reconnect? And how quickly / frequently does it disconnect?

yeah it doesn't reconnect when it happens. I have to toggle wifi off/on in order to get it working again. Think I may have got it reconnected again a few times by going into wifi preferences and rescanning once or twice for my network. It also happens pretty infrequently or not very often. Mostly I suffer from performance issues when connected to the dir-655.

I suppose I should try monkeying around changing settings on this dlink router too but combined with the fact it doesn't seem to have helped resolve the problem fully for others who have and the fact that using the same setup on an older linksys router worked. Plus it would kind of be a pain to change the wireless settings on all my other devices since I use a long random letter and number paraphrase in my router. I wish I had an extra dlink lol
    Global Posts
    47 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cgutz View Post
    I have an older Linkage G router. Both my son's and my Touchpad drop connections. Tonight I set my security back to WPA personal. I also set WiFi to stay on while sleeping. I'll see if that helps.

All other devices stay connected fine.
    When you say you keep wifi on when device sleeps you mean not turning wifi off from the drop down in the upper left corner correct?
    Global Posts
    257 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by joeym74 View Post
    When you say you keep wifi on when device sleeps you mean not turning wifi off from the drop down in the upper left corner correct?
    Ya, I think he means in wifi Preferences, Sleep Settings (top left), "When Device Sleeps" setting to "Keep Wi-Fi On".
    Global Posts
    10 Global Posts
    My WIFI is losing connection after it sleeps on both settings turn off WIFI on sleep ON or OFF. Problem is when it unlocks, the touchpag says WIFI is connected, but nothing loads. I have a typical Linksys WRTG on WPA2 Personal.

Also, I am trying to switch my Stereo bluetooth back and forth between TP and phone. Both require resets/turn off and on to switch back and forth to get A2DP Stereo to connect.
    just fyi I forgot to mention my wifi issues happen with my Dlink DIR-655 with wifi sleep mode turned off or the keep wifi on setting when device sleeps. So I'm not sure that's quite the answer either.
    Global Posts
    15 Global Posts
    Sounds like people are having separate issues here, which is confusing the situation.

My issue is this:

1) Pages slow to load/only load partially.
    2) I never drop wifi, it's only painfully slow. I can't even stream movies.
    3) Happens when the device wakes up from sleep
    4) Hard to get it working again. Turing wifi off/back on does NOT help me.

What I know is:

1) After testing 4 routers and an android softAP, i can tell you that it's neither router nor chipset specific. It has got to be the TouchPad

2) My wife has an identical 32 gb touchpad. Hers works fine.

3) Doctoring does not help.

4) Nothing seems to be showing up in /var/log regarding errors or anything.

I will try the sleep thing when i get home and see if that helps.

Is anyone else having this issue?
    Sounds like people are having separate issues here, which is confusing the situation.

My issue is this:

What I know is:

1) After testing 4 routers and an android softAP, i can tell you that it's neither router nor chipset specific. It has got to be the TouchPad

3) Doctoring does not help.

4) Nothing seems to be showing up in /var/log regarding errors or anything.

I will try the sleep thing when i get home and see if that helps.

Is anyone else having this issue?
    New Touchpad owner here. I also have a DIR-655 router and had wifi issues right out of the box. I tried every single tip on this board and nothing worked until I finally found the solution for my issue:

I changed the wireless channel from 6 to *11*

It's been about 10 hours now and I have not dropped wifi once yet (even after the device sleeps). Before I made the change, I was dropping every 2 min or so.

I'll just add mine to the mix too then

I've a 32gb TP, and a netgear DGND3300v2 (rangemax).
    Now, I can connect and maintain a flawless connection over G. Never drops, never fails after waking.
    N is completely the opposite.
    The N SSID is visible, but the TP will never finish the association.
    I've tried WPA2 and mixed WPA/WPA2, all the various combinations of channels and forcing it to only use 2.4ghz, and the damn TP just will not connect at N ever.

I'm not forcing my router back down to WPA or turning off G, as I don't see why I have to reconfigure 10+ devices to accomodate one device with poorly done drivers.

I really hope that they fix this during the next update. I'm at a loss at the level of problems reported here, did HP literally only test the TP with one AP or something before shipping?
    Quote Originally Posted by dolemite View Post
    I changed the wireless channel from 6 to *11*

I hadn't thought of it but this is a good idea. If the current channels signal is too weak due to other wireless devices in the area, not just inside ones house, it can cause all sorts of problems from connectivity to slow speeds to the devices you connect to the router. There are so many things causing that in my area that my router I have to set to channel 1 or 11 because everything else is crazy weak. I have an app on my samsung epic that checks the strength of each channel and rates them on a scale of 10 stars. 1 and 11 are always 8 to 10 stars and everything in between are 4 or less stars.

Quote Originally Posted by hmm... View Post
    My WIFI is losing connection after it sleeps on both settings turn off WIFI on sleep ON or OFF. Problem is when it unlocks, the touchpag says WIFI is connected, but nothing loads. I have a typical Linksys WRTG on WPA2 Personal.

Also, I am trying to switch my Stereo bluetooth back and forth between TP and phone. Both require resets/turn off and on to switch back and forth to get A2DP Stereo to connect.
    There was a thread with a possible solution to the wifi problem you describe a week or so ago. Sorry I can't remember the thread title to direct you to it. I tried locating it the other day as someone else mentioned this problem in the thread. For the bluetooth issue I have the same issue between my pc and samsung epic with my jabra stereo BT headset. Using pairing mode on the headset is what I do to get it to connect when that happens. I figure it's a slight incompatability kind of like how in some PCs you can have trouble with a piece of hardware that works fine in a very similar other PC.

My issue is this:

What I know is:
    Out of curiosity have you done a speed test to see if the bandwidth to the TP during these occurrences? If the results are lots of bandwidth then it probably is something mucking things up. Perhaps a memory leak or something getting got stuck running in the background. Like an email account stuck in perpetual check for mail. This happened to me the other day on my samsung epic. I kept getting new mail notification for mail that arrived yesterday. I let it alone just to see what would happen and 2 to 3 hours later it kept chiming new mail every 30 seconds. It got up to over 100 on the new mail count out of the 200 unread messages in the account from the last month or so. While that was happening if I tried to load a web page or what not it was dreadfully slow. Granted this is a different platform but it is possible this kind of glitch could happen as syncing was known to get stuck like that back in the eary 1.0 days.
    I just discovered the most stupidest thing, and there's no way it's not the TP at fault.
    My netgear allows 2 guest SSIDs, one for b/g, one for a/n.
    So, couldn't get the TP to connect til I dropped it down to WEP or open.

Then it hit me - perhaps its something stupid where the passphrase isn't being handled correctly, and perhaps the TP doesn't work correct with characters after F?
    BINGO. WPA now works, WPA2 still wont connect though
    My normal passphrase has the majority of characters above F, with one Y in it.
    If I set the passphrase on the guest SSID to "a1b2c3e4f5", all of a sudden, I can connect.

Funnily enough, all laptops, xbox, ipods, etc have no problem with the passphrase and connect no problem.

Well done HP, stroke of genius not handling passphrases properly.
    I have issued with mine sometimes. It is usually when I am far away from the base though. It says connected but will not respond at all. If I turn it off and back on it works perfectly. Weird... Only happened a couple times.
    Quote Originally Posted by bobbymd7 View Post
    If you're having a problem with a D-link router, use G-only. That's the only setting that seems to work. I have 4 touchpads being used in the house and no problems for almost a week.

hrm you may be onto something. For the heck of it I tried dropping my dlink down to g only last night too see if that made a difference. So far it seems to have worked as I haven't had any performance related issues with the WiFi since then. streaming now works just fine, etc. Also haven't experienced any total disconnects/drops which was rare to begin with in my case.

my suspicion is the 802.11n standard that's implemented on the TP is broken. One thing I noticed is I was seeing the same WiFi speeds(around 20mbps which is about the limit of g) regardless of rather or not my TP was on N or G with it even when it was working properly. The problem with changing the router down to 802.11g is it slows the speed of all your other devices along with it. So that's not a good
    solution.

Hopefully its a software issue within webOS and not due to a faulty radio in the TP hardware. I also wonder if there's a way to patch or edit some settings within webOS to limit its internal radio to 802.11g until a perminent fix is released?