webOS Nation Forums

webOS Nation Forums (/)
-   HP TouchPad (http://forums.webosnation.com/hp-touchpad/)
-   -   Handbrake Preset for DVDs (http://forums.webosnation.com/hp-touchpad/287212-handbrake-preset-dvds.html)

tim k 08/29/2011 11:13 PM

I'm re-encoding some old TV shows for the kids (old 4:3 cartoons like Scooby Doo and Tom & Jerry) so I don't really need super duper quality. The files are current AVI and about 250MB each episode. I mean, this stuff is from the 70's so its not like they are that good to begin with so....

Suggestions on Handbrake settings?

sniper_ 08/30/2011 01:14 PM

[QUOTE=d-larsen;3038081]I gave up on Handbrake As well and used DVDFab DVD Ripper as suggested above. I used the IPAD default settings, de-selected Subtitles(below the Audio Selection), and then editting the video settings to 1024 to get full screen size. Tested in 16:9 ratio both with 768 and 1024 getting an average file size of 800MB for 768 and 1.6GB in 1024. The 1024 was by far the best quality display. DVDFAB DVD Ripper is only $50 with a 20% discount that is 40$. Well worth it and all ten movies converted play awesome using InternalzPro File Manager. Tip: Set your volume during ripping to 150% tavoid low volume issues reported by others from the Beats Audio.[/QUOTE]

I also got fed up with Handbrake. I read through the entire post and tried it all, no go.
DVDFab seems to work really well. No problems yet except that it's only a 30 day trial version.
Does anyone know how to access the 20% discount mentioned in the above post?

I'll wait to purchase and keep reading the forum to see if some other options come up for Handbrake.

Neofight 08/30/2011 02:48 PM

Huge thanks to the OP and friends. Had no experience ripping the DVD's I own and finally settled on using DVD Fab HD decrypter and the presets you guys came up with on Handbrake. Worked flawlessly and video looks great. Thanks again.

joeym74 08/31/2011 03:06 AM

Question I had is why when using the Touchpad plist on the first post does the size go from source of 720x480 to width and height of 720x288. Is that normal?

atraum 08/31/2011 09:06 AM

Anyone by chance have a new version of the profile or can give me the settings you are using? Unfortunately when I try to import the profile in the first post or on the 3rd pg bottom HandBrake 0.9.5 indicates that the profile is built for a previous version or it is invalid. Ugh, I knew I shouldn't have updated HandBrake prior to importing the profile!

cyberdalek 08/31/2011 10:12 AM

I have followed the directions and imported the TP presets into Handbrake but every time I try to play an newly encoded video, all that I get is a picture with psychedelic colors. When I try to go from a DVD I get the soundtrack but converting my videos from Zune gets me just the colors. I am new to the encoding thing so I guarantee that I am doing something wrong.

Please Help.

ironman1730 09/02/2011 09:16 PM

I'm new to this forum, but I had no problem playing the videos after converting from avi to mp4 using HandBrake. However, the name of the files were not showing up....until I upgraded the OS to 3.0.2. I'm not sure if the reboot did the trick or upgrading it to the latest OS...either way, my son can now view his Baby Einstein videos. Thanks to everyone on this forum who made it possible.

JanJan 09/04/2011 02:54 AM

hi after converting using handbrake with touchpad preset the video is still truncated (not fit the whole screen and have wide 1inch black bands on top and bottom). Video quality however is really crisp and nice. Did we have a solution to that? Thanks

tesla 09/04/2011 10:13 AM

Just to add my experiences in case it helps anyone, I used the settings file that [B]treo3002600[/B] provided but was getting the black screen with audio problem. After much fiddling about trying different things, what cracked it for me was deleting any subtitles tracks that were showing in the subtitles tab. Not 100% sure what including these gives you in an mp4 file (didn't think the container gave you an option of displaying subtitles) but the standard video player certainly doesn't like them.

It also doesn't handle anamorphic as I tried one film ripped with anamorphic and it played stretched vertically, so it's not coded to know what to do with that. Hence why the presets file has anamorphic set to none.

Finally, the files that I got working in the end were encoded with h.264, I didn't have to resort to FFmpeg.

GeraldKo 09/08/2011 12:47 PM

[QUOTE=atraum;3120270]Anyone by chance have a new version of the profile or can give me the settings you are using? Unfortunately when I try to import the profile in the first post or on the 3rd pg bottom HandBrake 0.9.5 indicates that the profile is built for a previous version or it is invalid. Ugh, I knew I shouldn't have updated HandBrake prior to importing the profile![/QUOTE]

I have the same problem. Specifically, the message on Handbrake when I try to import the preset from the first post says, [QUOTE]The preset file you selected appears to be invalid or from an older version of Handbrake.

Please note, if you are exporting from the MacGui ...[/QUOTE]

Also, something from Microsoft .net pops up, saying there is an "unhandled exception"

I'm using Windows XP SP3 and Handbrake 0.9.5 (2011010300)

I also just updated Handbrake yesterday, the day before trying to import the Preset. (dang! :cry:)

If there isn't a preset to substitute, [B]I'd really like a list of Best Settings for Handbrake for exporting to the TouchPad[/B], so it can be done manually.

Thanks!!

markawashington 09/08/2011 06:03 PM

[QUOTE=GeraldKo;3141491]I have the same problem. Specifically, the message on Handbrake when I try to import the preset from the first post says,

Also, something from Microsoft .net pops up, saying there is an "unhandled exception"

I'm using Windows XP SP3 and Handbrake 0.9.5 (2011010300)

I also just updated Handbrake yesterday, the day before trying to import the Preset. (dang! :cry:)

If there isn't a preset to substitute, [B]I'd really like a list of Best Settings for Handbrake for exporting to the TouchPad[/B], so it can be done manually.

Thanks!![/QUOTE]

you need to upgrade to windows 7 thats the best settings lol jk :) but seriously.

GeraldKo 09/08/2011 11:28 PM

[QUOTE=markawashington;3142185]you need to upgrade to windows 7 thats the best settings lol jk :) but seriously.[/QUOTE]

Heck, if I could afford to do that, I'd have bought an iPad! :D

(Fear not, I'm no fan of Apple nor Microsoft. I'm a Maemo refugee.)

GeraldKo 09/09/2011 02:39 AM

[QUOTE=joeym74;3119822]Question I had is why when using the Touchpad plist on the first post does the size go from source of 720x480 to width and height of 720x288. Is that normal?[/QUOTE]

You'll find your answer here: [url]https://trac.handbrake.fr/wiki/AnamorphicGuide[/url]

Yes, depending on your particular film's intended aspect ratio, this could be normal (although a 2.5:1 aspect ratio seems extreme). The source for a DVD is [B]always[/B] 720x480.

GeraldKo 09/12/2011 03:09 PM

Here are the Handbrake settings I am using, successfully, for encoding movies (DVD's, not starting with Blu-Ray) to video to play on the TouchPad:

[U]Start by clicking the iPad Preset[/U]. Then ...

Fixed "Front Page" of Handbrake (the area above the tabs):
1. Container: mp4 (and make sure that file name ends in ".mp4" too)
2. Check: Large File Size

Picture Tab:
1. Check: Keep Aspect Ratio
2. Anamorphic: None

Video Tab:
1. Video Codec: h.264
2. Frame Rate: 29.97 or Same as Source
3. Target Size: 1700, or in any event < 2000

Audio Tab:
1. Mixdown: Stereo
2. Bit Rate: 256
3. DRC: 2.5 (makes the audio louder, good for listening on airplanes, doesn't seem to distort)

Subtitles Tab:
1. [U]Remove any subtitles[/U] by right-clicking on them and deleting (this is [U]VERY important[/U]) (thank you Tesla and others who pointed this out)

You can ignore all the other Tabs.

I don't know if a smaller file would look as good or would look good enough. Or if these are optimal settings. They are certainly very good settings.

Unfortunately, you can't use the stock video player if you want subtitles; and Kalemsoft, I have read, does not yet support subtitles either. So the TouchPad currently can't play movies with subtitles. For me, definitely a bummer. It plays movies so beautifully; this is a really sorry limitation.

dedman3 09/16/2011 07:31 PM

Toushpad issue

Thanks for the settings Geraldko! (and everyone else who contributed to this thread)

I ripped a movie and it looks great - on my laptop.... On my touchpad the video is choppy and the sound lags a few seconds behind the video. I kow that the issue is with the player/touchpad as the file plays fineelsewhere.

On the touchpad I am running the video through touchplayer. Any advice - either for tweaks on the touchpad or recommendations for another player to use for an .mp4 movie?

Thanks
Ded.

mindfulness 10/02/2011 07:57 PM

I read a bunch of handbrake/touchpad tutorials like this one but I had a problem with some videos I converted not playing. The video would open but the screen stayed black.

I finally narrowed it down to filesize. I don't know the exact limit as I didn't have time to experiment with multiple sizes, but I noticed files > 3 something GBs weren't playing, other smaller files with the same handbrake settings were playing. By setting the target size to 2000MB, I was able to get them to play. Is it common knowledge the video player can't handle files over 2GB if that indeed is the limit? If so, that's news to me. None of the Touchpad ripping guides I read mentioned that. I hope HP fixes that, the max file size limit of 4GB for the filesystem on a device with 32GB is annoying enough.

Also Handbrake doesn't give you an estimate on the current output file size given the currently selected options. I rather not use the target size option every time if I don't have to. Anyone know a way to estimate my output file size with Handbrake?

One tip I have on the settings for Handbrake is to set the DRC slider setting under the Audio tab to a higher number like 2.5 to increase the video's volume. The TP speakers are so tiny, at max volume the volume wasn't even loud. Raising the DRC helps fix that.

julioiglesias 10/07/2011 03:58 PM

New to the forums and this discussion. I have learned a lot from reading through this thread and the handbrake anamorphic wiki link provided by a previous user. I have installed handbrake and added the touchpad settings from the original post and it works perfectly.

My question is for videos that have an aspect ratio of 2.35:1, I lose so much real estate on the Touchpad screen (I would guess that videos using the ~1:78:1 ratio work for the touchpad the best), which i would like to keep as large as possible to allow more than one little head to watch it on car trips.

What options do I have for videos with the wider aspect ratios to ultilize the full Touchpad screen?

DarienA 10/15/2011 11:50 PM

We're configuring the Touchpad I picked up for our daughter to replace her portable DVD player when we travel... I've tried quite a few dvd ripping software packages to rip her various dvd's and no joy... found this thread, and failed with Handbrake, noted the comments about dvdfab8 picked it up, changed the resolution, unchecked the subtitle option and the test 6min cartoon played on the Touchpad flawlessly. Going to try and rip the whole DVD now but so far at least for me DVDfab8 looks like a winner.

radioactivemint 10/17/2011 12:29 AM

[QUOTE=GeraldKo;3149976]Here are the Handbrake settings I am using, successfully, for encoding movies (DVD's, not starting with Blu-Ray) to video to play on the TouchPad:

[U]Start by clicking the iPad Preset[/U]. Then ...

Fixed "Front Page" of Handbrake (the area above the tabs):
1. Container: mp4 (and make sure that file name ends in ".mp4" too)
2. Check: Large File Size

Picture Tab:
1. Check: Keep Aspect Ratio
2. Anamorphic: None

Video Tab:
1. Video Codec: h.264
2. Frame Rate: 29.97 or Same as Source
3. Target Size: 1700, or in any event < 2000

Audio Tab:
1. Mixdown: Stereo
2. Bit Rate: 256
3. DRC: 2.5 (makes the audio louder, good for listening on airplanes, doesn't seem to distort)

Subtitles Tab:
1. [U]Remove any subtitles[/U] by right-clicking on them and deleting (this is [U]VERY important[/U]) (thank you Tesla and others who pointed this out)

You can ignore all the other Tabs.

I don't know if a smaller file would look as good or would look good enough. Or if these are optimal settings. They are certainly very good settings.

Unfortunately, you can't use the stock video player if you want subtitles; and Kalemsoft, I have read, does not yet support subtitles either. So the TouchPad currently can't play movies with subtitles. For me, definitely a bummer. It plays movies so beautifully; this is a really sorry limitation.[/QUOTE]

You CAN use subtitles, you just have to check the "Burned In" box. I just did it with Pan's Labyrinth, one of my all time favorites, and it works beautifully. I suppose if you want control over when and where subtitles appear, however, you would be correct.

serena_johnston 12/09/2011 11:18 PM

Problems Converting .avi in Handbrake

[QUOTE=radioactivemint;3209591]You CAN use subtitles, you just have to check the "Burned In" box. I just did it with Pan's Labyrinth, one of my all time favorites, and it works beautifully. I suppose if you want control over when and where subtitles appear, however, you would be correct.[/QUOTE]

Hi All,

I'm not sure why I am having problem but every time that I am trying to convert the .avi files, it acts like it's convert & then a second later, the Handbrake message comes up to say that it's finish (when it's not). Does anyone know what I could be doing wrong? I am also trying to add a subtitle file but it doesn't allow me to check 'burn in'. The only checkbox under the subtitle tag is 'default'.

Any help is appreciated. I didn't have any problems when I was converting the videos for my iPhone with Handbrake.

Thank You,
Serena