webOS Nation Forums

webOS Nation Forums (/)
-   HP TouchPad (http://forums.webosnation.com/hp-touchpad/)
-   -   Handbrake Preset for DVDs (http://forums.webosnation.com/hp-touchpad/287212-handbrake-preset-dvds.html)

splitsick 07/07/2011 06:50 PM

[QUOTE=diddly4;3021180][QUOTE=treo3002600;3021022]There is some troubleshooting information that may be helpful at the link below, but if you're not able to get it installed then someone in the Handbrake forums might be able to help.

[url]

Thanks, I finally got it installed starts up but when I select the "source" (my kids movies) the scanner keeps going and nothing happens. I looked up the wiki for Handbrake and it says they no longer decrypt copyrighted DVDs and I need different software to do that first and put it on my hard drive and then handbrake can convert to a Touchpad friendly version. Anyone have any suggestions for DVD rippers (preferably freeware) TIA.[/QUOTE]
Download a program called DVD Decrypter for free and decrypt the movie first then save it to a folder on your computer. Select this folder from handbrake instead of selecting the DVD drive.

diddly4 07/07/2011 07:36 PM

[QUOTE=splitsick;3022545][QUOTE=diddly4;3021180]
Download a program called DVD Decrypter for free and decrypt the movie first then save it to a folder on your computer. Select this folder from handbrake instead of selecting the DVD drive.[/QUOTE]

Thanks! I downloaded DVDfab8 and decrypted it, I then used handbrake to convert using the preset provided by the OP. My Touchpad doesn't get here till the 13th so I won't know if it workd or not.

richip 07/07/2011 08:05 PM

I use Handbrake on Linux as well and the file doesn't import. I'll try to make a similar one for the Linux version of Handbrake. Could you tell me what options you used so I can use similar?

wylis76 07/07/2011 09:58 PM

Handbrake settings for TouchPad

1 Attachment(s)
[QUOTE=richip;3022602]I use Handbrake on Linux as well and the file doesn't import. I'll try to make a similar one for the Linux version of Handbrake. Could you tell me what options you used so I can use similar?[/QUOTE]

On the Windoz version I selected here is what worked for me for the TouchPad:
PictureTab:
Anamorphic = None
AudioTab:
Mixdown = Stereo

I had to manually change the output extension from .m4v to .mp4 before starting the process. The TouchPad does not seem to recognize files with the .m4v extension. Also make sure that the "Large File Size" box is not checked.

Carioca_FL 07/07/2011 10:39 PM

is DVD Decrypter still being updated? I used to use DVDShrink and that program stopped being updated.

Currently, I've been using AnyDVD (not free) and it's great. Runs in the systray, strips all protection quickly and easily.

Carioca_FL 07/07/2011 10:44 PM

[QUOTE=wylis76;3022727]On the Windoz version I selected here is what worked for me for the TouchPad:
PictureTab:
Anamorphic = None
AudioTab:
Mixdown = Stereo

I had to manually change the output extension from .m4v to .mp4 before starting the process. The TouchPad does not seem to recognize files with the .m4v extension. Also make sure that the "Large File Size" box is not checked.[/QUOTE]

Very true; I had converted a few movies and left the extension as .m4v and that didn't work. But I do recall being able to just change the extension to .mp4 and solving the issue.

Either way, wylis is right, just ensure you change the extension from .m4v to .mp4 and you'll be all set.

Question: is it possible to up the resolution? Say, from 480 to 720? Not saying we'll get a ”free" HD conversion, but it should help the quality a bit, no?

Carioca_FL 07/07/2011 10:51 PM

[QUOTE=treo3002600;3018792]...not verified that files larger than 1.6GB will play, but I did have one 2.1GB file that would not - so the limit is likely somewhere in between.

This preset was created with HandBrake 0.9.5.[/QUOTE]

How can you check the output file size? Or is it just trial and error?

Also, do you need to create a "Movie" folder or can I just place the files at the drive's root? When I added some mp3s, the Music app would only recognize if they were placed at the root. Putting them in any folder would make them invisible to Music.

treo3002600 07/07/2011 11:05 PM

[QUOTE=Carioca_FL;3022801]How can you check the output file size? Or is it just trial and error?

Also, do you need to create a "Movie" folder or can I just place the files at the drive's root? When I added some mp3s, the Music app would only recognize if they were placed at the root. Putting them in any folder would make them invisible to Music.[/QUOTE]

I have mine under a folder titled "Video" in the root, then each individual movie is under a folder with the movie title in order to be able to identify them in the Video app.

I don't know of a way to check the file size before encoding - someone with more experience with Handbrake might, though. I doubt that it's possible to accurately predict because the file size is partially dependent on the actual content of the source video.

treo3002600 07/07/2011 11:17 PM

[QUOTE=Carioca_FL;3022787]Question: is it possible to up the resolution? Say, from 480 to 720? Not saying we'll get a ”free" HD conversion, but it should help the quality a bit, no?[/QUOTE]

There's no benefit (from a quality perspective) to upping the resolution beyond what the source is at, unless you have a device that wasn't able to scale video properly on its own, then you could do it up front via Handbrake.

This is the same idea behind "upconverting" DVDs via a Blu-ray player (or other device). If one device (a TV, for example) does a poor job of scaling content then in some cases you can get better results by using a more efficient device to do the scaling and feed the resulting output to the TV.

More info: [url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Upconverting#Upscaling.2Fupconverting_DVD]Video scaler - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia[/url]

This doesn't really apply to the Touchpad, though, as it seems to have no issue with scaling video to its screen resolution.

derwin 07/08/2011 12:38 AM

I had converted a downloaded AVI file using the preset. One improvement is that it actually showed up in the Photos app, but now the file shows nothing but a black screen as it plays. Any ideas?

andersa 07/08/2011 09:23 AM

[QUOTE=wylis76;3022727]On the Windoz version I selected here is what worked for me for the TouchPad:
PictureTab:
Anamorphic = None
AudioTab:
Mixdown = Stereo

I had to manually change the output extension from .m4v to .mp4 before starting the process. The TouchPad does not seem to recognize files with the .m4v extension. Also make sure that the "Large File Size" box is not checked.[/QUOTE]

Funny, I've done a bunch of m4v files and have had no issue with the TP recognizing them. mp4 on the other hand - a couple of files were picked up by the music player (playing back the sound track only of course)!

andersa 07/08/2011 09:32 AM

[QUOTE=Carioca_FL;3022801]How can you check the output file size? Or is it just trial and error?

Also, do you need to create a "Movie" folder or can I just place the files at the drive's root? When I added some mp3s, the Music app would only recognize if they were placed at the root. Putting them in any folder would make them invisible to Music.[/QUOTE]

Size - under the video tab you can specify a target size. If you do, you should also enable 2-pass encoding as you'll get much better looking video doing so.

andersa 07/08/2011 09:39 AM

[QUOTE=treo3002600;3022833]There's no benefit (from a quality perspective) to upping the resolution beyond what the source is at, unless you have a device that wasn't able to scale video properly on its own, then you could do it up front via Handbrake.

This is the same idea behind "upconverting" DVDs via a Blu-ray player (or other device). If one device (a TV, for example) does a poor job of scaling content then in some cases you can get better results by using a more efficient device to do the scaling and feed the resulting output to the TV.

More info: [url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Upconverting#Upscaling.2Fupconverting_DVD]Video scaler - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia[/url]

This doesn't really apply to the Touchpad, though, as it seems to have no issue with scaling video to its screen resolution.[/QUOTE]

I agree, no point in upscaling DVDs.

On a similar note, using the presets by the OP on a BD rip result in a 1920 by 800 something movie. I suggest that the Width on the Picture tab is st to 1024 and that the Keep Aspect Ratio is checked. That way the picture is scaled down to the native resolution of the TP resulting in a more optimal encoding.

treo3002600 07/08/2011 09:42 AM

[QUOTE=andersa;3023177]I agree, no point in upscaling DVDs.

On a similar note, using the presets by the OP on a BD rip result in a 1920 by 800 something movie. I suggest that the Width on the Picture tab is st to 1024 and that the Keep Aspect Ratio is checked. That way the picture is scaled down to the native resolution of the TP resulting in a more optimal encoding.[/QUOTE]

Yep, that's a good tweak for Blu-ray if you're creating videos dedicated to the Touchpad (not to be used on another device that could take advantage of the higher resolution).

treo3002600 07/08/2011 09:45 AM

[QUOTE=andersa;3023171]Size - under the video tab you can specify a target size. If you do, you should also enable 2-pass encoding as you'll get much better looking video doing so.[/QUOTE]

Actually Handbrake's documentation suggests that using the Constant Quality setting (included in my preset) eliminates the need for 2 pass encoding. See this link for more info: [url]https://trac.handbrake.fr/wiki/ConstantQuality[/url]

andersa 07/08/2011 10:03 AM

[QUOTE=treo3002600;3022833]There's no benefit (from a quality perspective) to upping the resolution beyond what the source is at, unless you have a device that wasn't able to scale video properly on its own, then you could do it up front via Handbrake.

This doesn't really apply to the Touchpad, though, as it seems to have no issue with scaling video to its screen resolution.[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=treo3002600;3023190]Actually Handbrake's documentation suggests that using the Constant Quality setting (included in my preset) eliminates the need for 2 pass encoding. See this link for more info: [url]https://trac.handbrake.fr/wiki/ConstantQuality[/url][/QUOTE]

Understood (and I don't disagree) but if you do want to control the file size, 2-pass encode is preferable as avg bitrate is prone to macro blocking (just watch an HD broadcast with lots of movements like fire for example).

treo3002600 07/08/2011 12:32 PM

[QUOTE=andersa;3023207]Understood (and I don't disagree) but if you do want to control the file size, 2-pass encode is preferable as avg bitrate is prone to macro blocking (just watch an HD broadcast with lots of movements like fire for example).[/QUOTE]

Yep, good point.

Footfury 07/08/2011 02:01 PM

I've uploaded the presets and copied the files over to my TP, but I'm getting audio and a black screen. Any ideas as to why the video is not showing?

sprkjonz 07/09/2011 01:37 AM

[QUOTE=andersa;3023177]I agree, no point in upscaling DVDs.

On a similar note, using the presets by the OP on a BD rip result in a 1920 by 800 something movie. I suggest that the Width on the Picture tab is st to 1024 and that the Keep Aspect Ratio is checked. That way the picture is scaled down to the native resolution of the TP resulting in a more optimal encoding.[/QUOTE]
I found that even though I was converting movies with a wide screen resolution they would play back on the touchpad in full screen and cut of the sides. I was about to re-encode some movies to be the the width of the touchpad when I came across a much easier solution.
The double arrow icon to the right of the video playback slider can be used to toggle between full screen and wide screen (letterbox). Looks great now!

Mize 07/09/2011 09:25 AM

FWIW the Photos/Movies app doesn't seem to recognize files over 1.2 GB, but if you use a file manager to find them and double-tap, they will launch and play...funny.