Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 23
Like Tree3Likes
  1. Scott L's Avatar
    Posts
    22 Posts
    Global Posts
    25 Global Posts
       #1  
    I just received my case and touchstone charger from Amazon this morning, and I'm not able to get the Touchpad to recognize the Touchstone when it's oriented Landscape and in the case. Portrait in the case works just fine, but I'd rather not use it this way.

    Is anybody else seeing this?
  2. #2  
    The TouchPad will only charge with the volume button at the top and the speakers at the bottom, also, make sure that the TouchPad is in the case correctly too.
    coughdrops likes this.
  3. #3  
    have you tried orientating it in landscape... other side down?
    (just to see if it will see it on one side but not the other)
  4. #4  
    it wont recognize/charge in landscape without the case? interesting.

    Quote Originally Posted by netwrkr9 View Post
    The TouchPad will only charge with the volume button at the top and the speakers at the bottom, also, make sure that the TouchPad is in the case correctly too.
  5. Scott L's Avatar
    Posts
    22 Posts
    Global Posts
    25 Global Posts
       #5  
    Oh, mine charges fine in Landscape when it's not in the case. Instantly goes into Exhibition and charges away! Which is great because my photos fill the screen nicely in that orientation.

    But in the case, nothing. Portrait in the case works just fine.
  6. #6  
    I'm really surprised that you got it to charge in the case at all.. The inductive charger will not have much range. I'll bet that your charging time is longer with it charging in the case too. I know my pre must be out of any case to charge with the touchstone. I would assume that the touchpad was the same way.
  7. Scott L's Avatar
    Posts
    22 Posts
    Global Posts
    25 Global Posts
       #7  
    Charging in the case is actually one of the selling points. Every review touts that as a feature, as does HP themselves.

    Tablet Accessories | HP TouchPad Tablet | HP Official(R) Site
  8. flashpass's Avatar
    Posts
    12 Posts
    Global Posts
    14 Global Posts
    #8  
    This is something I was curious about actually. I have a Touchstone currently, and the instructions specify that it only charges in one orientation when in landscape, which I believe is card button on the right and camera on the left. Also the case appears to open like a book which is to the left in portrait mode. So the problem I'm seeing is that with the card button on the right it means that the Touchpad case flap must lay down on the desk or be tucked under the Touchstone, is this true from what you can see?
  9. Scott L's Avatar
    Posts
    22 Posts
    Global Posts
    25 Global Posts
       #9  
    I didn't even see that the Touchstone came with instructions, so after you posted that I went back to my box and sure enough, they were buried underneath the cardboard "holder". I didn't even see that or the warranty card before now. That should really be on top of the Touchstone itself.

    But to the point, you are correct! The instructions do show to orient it the way you describe, and with the case on it tries to push up out of the notch. So I was reversing it so that the flap folder back over the Touchstone. Interesting that it won't charge that way....
  10. flashpass's Avatar
    Posts
    12 Posts
    Global Posts
    14 Global Posts
    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott L View Post
    I didn't even see that the Touchstone came with instructions, so after you posted that I went back to my box and sure enough, they were buried underneath the cardboard "holder". I didn't even see that or the warranty card before now. That should really be on top of the Touchstone itself.

    But to the point, you are correct! The instructions do show to orient it the way you describe, and with the case on it tries to push up out of the notch. So I was reversing it so that the flap folder back over the Touchstone. Interesting that it won't charge that way....
    That is what I was afraid of, it's incredibly bad design since it would look and behave perfectly the other direction. And wouldn't the speakers then be on top so it would be better to watch movies or something while charging? Also now the flap is another layer separating it from the touchstone. Does it at least charge when you do this? And could you potentially, wrap the flap under the touchstone or something?
  11. #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by Flashpass View Post
    This is something I was curious about actually. I have a Touchstone currently, and the instructions specify that it only charges in one orientation when in landscape, which I believe is card button on the right and camera on the left. Also the case appears to open like a book which is to the left in portrait mode. So the problem I'm seeing is that with the card button on the right it means that the Touchpad case flap must lay down on the desk or be tucked under the Touchstone, is this true from what you can see?
    I started playing with the touchstone charger last night and it definitely only works in two orientations. I dropped it on the charger with the case flap draped over the top first and immediately thought "oh crap I got a busted one" but when I flipped it over it worked just fine. That orientation makes more sense as far as the speakers and buttons are concerned but sure seems awkward when the case is on. I havent decided what to do with the case cover yet.

    I havent tried charging without the case yet (the battery lasts too long ) but it worked fine with it on.
  12. Scott L's Avatar
    Posts
    22 Posts
    Global Posts
    25 Global Posts
       #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by Flashpass View Post
    That is what I was afraid of, it's incredibly bad design since it would look and behave perfectly the other direction. And wouldn't the speakers then be on top so it would be better to watch movies or something while charging? Also now the flap is another layer separating it from the touchstone. Does it at least charge when you do this? And could you potentially, wrap the flap under the touchstone or something?
    OK, yes, I was able to fold it completely back and get it to sit on the Touchstone, so it's able to work through two layers of case. It was a little more difficult to get it on this way, it wants to push out and off of the stand, but I think with a little practice I'll get better at it. But it does charge this way and Exhibition looks much better with my pictures!

    And I certainly agree that it would be better the other direction, that was my natural instinct at first. I'm at work now so I can't test the speakers, but this way they're firing directly into the surface of my desk, so they could potentially sound better. Kind of like cupping your hand behind the Pre speaker so you can hear better.
    coughdrops likes this.
  13. #13  
    I am playing music right now and having the speakers facing down it is the defintely the right way to do it, music reflects off of the surface and spreads out nicely. I have the case folded behind it and it charges fine
    coughdrops likes this.
  14. Scott L's Avatar
    Posts
    22 Posts
    Global Posts
    25 Global Posts
       #14  
    Glad to hear the music works better this way! At least something positive came from this design!!
  15. flashpass's Avatar
    Posts
    12 Posts
    Global Posts
    14 Global Posts
    #15  
    Yeah, good to know, thanks guys. I guess i'll just deal with the upside down case issue when I get one. Found the touchstone and kb in store, but cases sold out everywhere.
  16. #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott L View Post
    OK, yes, I was able to fold it completely back and get it to sit on the Touchstone, so it's able to work through two layers of case. It was a little more difficult to get it on this way, it wants to push out and off of the stand, but I think with a little practice I'll get better at it. But it does charge this way and Exhibition looks much better with my pictures!

    And I certainly agree that it would be better the other direction, that was my natural instinct at first. I'm at work now so I can't test the speakers, but this way they're firing directly into the surface of my desk, so they could potentially sound better. Kind of like cupping your hand behind the Pre speaker so you can hear better.
    If memory serves me, the instructions show it charging with the case cover opened folded out, not with it doubled over in the back. I think thats causing the "pushing out" problem.

    I leave the cover open, and in front, and it charges and seats fine.
  17. sillydino's Avatar
    Posts
    22 Posts
    Global Posts
    33 Global Posts
    #17  
    Is there some trick to getting this thing to charge with the case on? I've gotten it to work twice. Every other time it just blinks the yellow triforce and the yellow charging bolt in the top right. It works fine out of the case of course. I've tried changing the angle of the dock, placing it on the dock slower/faster etc...

    Any help here would be greatly appreciated!
  18. #18  
    only 2 of the 4 possible ways to place will work, then make sure its pretty close to center, mine has been fine
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
  19. sillydino's Avatar
    Posts
    22 Posts
    Global Posts
    33 Global Posts
    #19  
    I have tried in the supported positions but still no go. Is anyone else experiencing these issues? I'm trying to determine if its my case or my dock... or my me
  20. sillydino's Avatar
    Posts
    22 Posts
    Global Posts
    33 Global Posts
    #20  
    Figured out my issue - USB extension cable. The length of the cable must have been too high for it to adequately charge the touchpad through the case. With the case off it worked fine however. Without my usb extension cable it charges through the case just fine! I've switched over to using a two prong 4 foot power extension to get my extra distance now
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions