1.    #1  
    So I understand in a way why you thought you needed to lock the Bluetooth to only work with webos phones but at the same point I am very disappointed. I am a sprint user and no matter how much I love webOS I cant change carriers, My pre minus was too underpowered so I made the hopefully temporary switch to android(evo 3d) until HP comes out with something up to par on sprint. Since I have android I cant use this great connection feature and with the user base for Android so high and the so-so tablets for android I think this was a mistake not to try and capitalize on those users as well.

This move also reminds me of palms struggles with apple at the beginning and ITunes. User and palm were irritated that apple creates such a closed architecture and now our beloved open webos is doing the same!?

Just my two cents let me know your thoughts. Hopefully webos internals will fix this.
    <<mod delete>>
    you snooze, you lose.

If you were a business owner, what would you do?
    I would lock it down because it's your own proprietary software, your own thing. It's not HP's fault you "can't switch carriers" no matter what. It's just business sense so you're involved in their own eco system

There may be patches.. I don't know. <<mod delete>> it's just the way business is.
    Last edited by bevcraw; 07/14/2011 at 08:24 AM. Reason: language
  3.    #3  
    Oh I understand why and the business behind it, I do have a side development business and I get it, just disappointed. I just see it as a way to start pulling people into a shrinking pool if WebOS had the draw of freaks apple does you can get away with it or the breath of android devices but when there are no real options to by to pair with now why limit users. Even if I could switch there is nothing to switch too...

Let be honest sprint has nothing and why would you get a pre 2 knowing the 3 was coming soon and the veer is to small for many people... <<mod delete>> this is a limited pool with a leak, we need to add water to it.

I have 10+ apps for WebOs and want it to succeed and get more users so please dont take this the wrong way.
    Last edited by bevcraw; 07/14/2011 at 08:24 AM. Reason: language
    Global Posts
    8 Global Posts
    Tony, I totally agree. I have the EVO 4G after having a Pre- for 12 months and burning thru 9 of them due to defects and poor hardware. I would gladly make the leap of faith to go to a Pre 3 if it came to Sprint, but it seems like HP could exploit this feature with other phones. I dont know of any other tablet that connects via bluetooth to handle phone calls and SMS. If its technically possible, then my view is you let the android users connect, get really used to the GUI of webOS and guess what their next handset is going to be when upgrade time comes. I have a ton of friends that were NOT apple fans when they got their first ipod, years later, they look at apples products first when getting new hardware. I am of the opinion that HP could take full advantage of this. Woo them with the TouchPad and its features, get them used to taking calls and responding the text and they WILL want to be able to Touch-to-Share..
    Quote Originally Posted by tonyparisi View Post
    So I understand in a way why you thought you needed to lock the Bluetooth to only work with webos phones but at the same point I am very disappointed. I am a sprint user and no matter how much I love webOS I cant change carriers, My pre minus was too underpowered so I made the hopefully temporary switch to android(evo 3d) until HP comes out with something up to par on sprint. Since I have android I cant use this great connection feature and with the user base for Android so high and the so-so tablets for android I think this was a mistake not to try and capitalize on those users as well.

This move also reminds me of palms struggles with apple at the beginning and ITunes. User and palm were irritated that apple creates such a closed architecture and now our beloved open webos is doing the same!?

Just my two cents let me know your thoughts. Hopefully webos internals will fix this.
    I agree with you totally. I will be replacing my Pre minus soon. It's falling apart and is not supported anymore by HP or Sprint. Right now the bluetooth doesn't seem to work with any other phone. I haven't tried an Android phone yet (will try my son's after this) but I know it won't talk to a Blackberry. Since my Palm account now lives safely in my Touchpad, I'm going to get a regular Evo 4g (they are on discount). Would have loved to get a Pre 3 but HP and Sprint are acting like children now. A Pre 3 is not compelling enough to make me shell out the money that Verizon and ATT users are paying for the same service I get in my area. Anyway, I'm hoping that there is a flaw in the bluetooth software that will be fixed in the OTA. I can see a reason for not allowing other phones to do touch to share (hardware and software conflicts) but I can't see a reason for not allowing bluetooth voice tethering.