Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree57Likes
  1.    #1  
    Ok, so the touchpad is .3 inches fatter than the iPad, and a teensy bit heavier. I don't like to sound like a fan boy and sometimes pretend that I'm not, but seriously.

How many of you are NOT going to buy a case for your Touchpad, and if you're not, what's wrong with you?? Drop $500 on a device that you're going to carry around with you everywhere and not protect it?
    Everyone I know with an iPhone or an iPad has a case that adds at least .5 in to the thickness and a half pound to the weight and no one's complaining.
    And most cases allow you to prop up the touchpad making it useful on a desk. And it prevents smudgy fingerprints all over the back.

Anyway, wanted to rant on the most ridiculous complaint people have about this device. I have my touchpad in an iPad 1 case and it fits wonderfully...I don't see myself using the TP nearly as much without it.

Thanks for listening to me rant.

TLR: Why complain about the weight and thickness when you're just going to buy for a case for it anyway, negating any difference?
    I agree. It would be OK if these same people said they would have never used an iPad 1st generation device. But somehow, the extra 3 or four ounces is causing rotator cuff injuries after a few minutes of use.

I don't understand, I use a big Lenovo laptop and lug it it around and at times use it while holding it with one are while typing with the other hand. Maybe I can handle 20 minutes that way.

I could 'kind of' see someone saying that the extra few ounces reduces the amount of time they can hold the device in their hands. But the claims that the few ounces or the extra thickness makes the device unusable seem to be a red herring at best.

With that kind of reasoning, I guess the iPad 2 and the Galaxy tab are the only devices that should be purchased. The original iPad should be recalled as a health hazard and the Xooms should be collected and destroyed too.

Make any argument you want people, but at least be consistent with your complaints.
    "Sometimes I feel like an OS-less child..."
    (with apologies to Billie Holiday )
    LordSecksie and dajlol77 like this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Siah1214 View Post
    ...that adds at least .5 in to the thickness and a half pound to the weight and no one's complaining.
    That's what she...nah, I cant do that to you!

I think a lot of people will side with you, but there are a big contingent that use the TouchPad by holding it and the weight can be detriment. Thickness is definitely an issue that is dependent on your hand size. For you and me, it may not mean much but for others it will. You have to respect the differences in everyone's needs and situations.
    Treo 300->Treo 600->Treo 650->Treo 700p-> Palm Pre-> Samsung Galaxy S II Epic 4G Touch (32GB Launch-day Touchpad sustains my webOS need for now)
    Quote Originally Posted by Siah1214 View Post
    Ok, so the touchpad is .3 inches fatter than the iPad, and a teensy bit heavier. I don't like to sound like a fan boy and sometimes pretend that I'm not, but seriously.

How many of you are NOT going to buy a case for your Touchpad, and if you're not, what's wrong with you?? Drop $500 on a device that you're going to carry around with you everywhere and not protect it?
    Everyone I know with an iPhone or an iPad has a case that adds at least .5 in to the thickness and a half pound to the weight and no one's complaining.
    And most cases allow you to prop up the touchpad making it useful on a desk. And it prevents smudgy fingerprints all over the back.

Anyway, wanted to rant on the most ridiculous complaint people have about this device. I have my touchpad in an iPad 1 case and it fits wonderfully...I don't see myself using the TP nearly as much without it.

Thanks for listening to me rant.

TLR: Why complain about the weight and thickness when you're just going to buy for a case for it anyway, negating any difference?
    It's also thinner than the ipad 1 - so, while you can use an ipad 1 case (until you can get your hands on a TP case), it swims a bit in it...
    Global Posts
    82 Global Posts
    Actually the TP is only .2" thicker than the IP2 and only .04" thicker than the original iPad. Here is the comparison:

TPad - .54"
    iPad - .50"
    iPad2 - .34"
    ive held both the ipad 2 and the galaxy tab 10", and in my opinion, they are too thin. i may be in the minority on that opinion, but they just didnt feel right in the hand to me. the touchpad definitely has some heft to it, but i expected it to, and it wouldnt change the way i hold or use it if it were lighter.

just food for thought: i also own an ipad1, and prefer its size over the ipad2 and Gtab 10 also.
    Steve Jobs says it has to be that thin. Therefore, the sheep will say it's too thick.

It's quite simple.

people will complain regardless... unless it's Apple.

If Apple came out with a tablet that was thicker than the TP.. People would cry wolf that the Touchpad is too thin.
    Quote Originally Posted by pebacher View Post
    Actually the TP is only .2" thicker than the IP2 and only .04" thicker than the original iPad. Here is the comparison:

TPad - .54"
    iPad - .50"
    iPad2 - .34"
    They are all so close it's hard to see how anyone can complain. The ipad2 is actually hard to hold unless it is in a case.... It feels too thin, mostly because of the tapered edges I think.

When setting side by side (I tried to get a pic, but it just doesn't show that well), the TP actually looks a smidge thinner that the ip1.

At any rate, I think people just like to complain more than anything.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/prdamri...n/photostream/
    Global Posts
    165 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by kjb86 View Post
    Steve Jobs says it has to be that thin. Therefore, the sheep will say it's too thick.

It's quite simple.

people will complain regardless... unless it's Apple.

If Apple came out with a tablet that was thicker than the TP.. People would cry wolf that the Touchpad is too thin.
    I disagree, I think the most impressive part about the ipad2 was that it included more powerful hardware plus the same battery life from last year. Were these "sheep" the same people who demanded that there was a hardware issue with the iphone 4 attenna and it wasnt user error?
    eh, who cares? My Touchpad is more functional than an iPad, so iPad can suckit.
    This board is getting ridiculous.
    Global Posts
    782 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GarrettQ View Post
    ive held both the ipad 2 and the galaxy tab 10", and in my opinion, they are too thin. i may be in the minority on that opinion, but they just didnt feel right in the hand to me. the touchpad definitely has some heft to it, but i expected it to, and it wouldnt change the way i hold or use it if it were lighter.

just food for thought: i also own an ipad1, and prefer its size over the ipad2 and Gtab 10 also.
    I agree w/you. What matters isn't the weight or the thickness, but how it feels in your hands--regardless the device.

I'm not an owner yet, but I spent about an hour handling both the TouchPad & iPad 2 & had the same feelings you did. I wouldn't mind HP changing the back from plastic, but the size/weight--I liked.

HP makes the Veer--it is too small. HP makes a tablet--it is too big. Instead of saying everything has to be the same as Apple, why not say how it feels in your hands?
    It's odd that in other fields, many prefer handheld devices that are thick in order to provide a better grip for the hand.
    BMIC50 likes this.
    Guys, I'm making the announcement here. I'm coming out with the AirPad next month. It features a width of 0" and a weight of 0 lbs. It has as many apps as you can imagine, and has infinite battery. You'll hold it in your hand, and it will be like it's not even there, but the experience will be so immersive you won't be able to put it down. Sure, it will take a while to get used to people staring at you like you're a crazy person, but they'll get used to it, just like they got used to bluetooth headsets.
    rburtz, mike5 and RocketRick like this.
    Quote Originally Posted by rsanchez1 View Post
    Guys, I'm making the announcement here. I'm coming out with the AirPad next month. It features a width of 0" and a weight of 0 lbs. It has as many apps as you can imagine, and has infinite battery. You'll hold it in your hand, and it will be like it's not even there, but the experience will be so immersive you won't be able to put it down. Sure, it will take a while to get used to people staring at you like you're a crazy person, but they'll get used to it, just like they got used to bluetooth headsets.
    Still too heavy. . . it needs to be negative weight. Can you make it a HeliumPad? LOL...
    regards,

Dan

------------------
    TabletPC user
    I'm ready to launch the new iJam family of products:*www.ijam.es

You can visit the English site (link at the bottom)

-- Sent from my HP TouchPad
    Newness Developments apps:

HelloNNNewman likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by GarrettQ View Post
    ive held both the ipad 2 and the galaxy tab 10", and in my opinion, they are too thin.
    Hilarious, Thanks
    After reading all of the reviews and comments in here I was really concerned about my TouchPad after I ordered it, but now that I have it and holding it in my hands, it's fine, feels good and solid while holding it,a lot of hoopla over nothing IMO. One more thing, about the weight, if you guys think the TouchPad is too heavy then you better hit the gym and pump some weights, lol.
    I wanted to by a Gibson Les Paul but when I compared it to a Fender Stratocaster it was so much heavier and thicker that I took the Fender.
    I'm as big a Palm / HP fan as anyone else, but i really dont get what's so hard to understand about this. It's not actually the size or weight, but the fact it's larger than the competition. Someone who goes into the store isn't going to generally be informed on the nuances between the iPad 2 and the Touchpad. Theyre going to look at the two devices, and see that the iPad is sleeker and honestly looks more solid (no cheap looking shiny plastic).

Couple that with the fact they've actually heard of the iPad and know it's the market leader, and it doesnt paint a good picture for the Touchpad. (In fact, when first seeing it, my sister asked if my Touchpad was an iPad, then a Galaxy Tab, and when I told her it wasnt, she had no idea what a Touchpad was).

Of course fractions of an inch or a few ounces dont matter in a vacuum, but this is a new product going up against an incumbent leader with a huge head start. It's going to be difficult, and the inevitable comparisons like this dont help.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast