Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree57Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by bobsentell View Post
    Have you seen Engadget's review of the HP Touchsmart?
    HP TouchSmart 610 review -- Engadget

Engadget made this "thickness" complaint about a computer THAT HAS IT'S OWN FREAKING STAND!!!!
    I dislike touchsmart with a passion, that thing looks like a pig. Its a crime against humanity.
    Quote Originally Posted by clevin View Post
    I dislike touchsmart with a passion, that thing looks like a pig. Its a crime against humanity.
    My point is what does it matter if a desktop computer is a half an inch thicker than the closet competition? You aren't going to carry it around.
    Global Posts
    565 Global Posts
    Have you seen Engadget's review of the HP Touchsmart?
    HP TouchSmart 610 review -- Engadget

Engadget made this "thickness" complaint about a computer THAT HAS IT'S OWN FREAKING STAND!!!!
    You realize people are paying obscene price increases for LED tvs instead of LCD one primarily because of how thin a thing that is on a stand and you'll never actually carry is...right?

It may be dumb, but from a marketing standpoint thin is in
    My point is what does it matter if a desktop computer is a half an inch thicker than the closet competition? You aren't going to carry it around.
    Haha, yes. The guy who made the joke about Americans being obese, I think he has a point. Since we're all getting fat, we're at the same time getting obsessed about being skinny. This isn't just about people being skinny though, it's about everything being skinny. You can't have a fat desktop, because then people are going to come over to your house, look at the fatty sitting in the corner, and associate you with fat. You can't have your guests think you're fat. Never mind that your fatty can play Crysis at full graphics settings and maximum resolution, it's still fat!

(Note: Just read that review a little more, and the Touchsmart in fact can't play Crysis at full graphics, but generally it's the fat computers that have great performance with games.)
    Last edited by rsanchez1; 07/06/2011 at 11:35 AM.
    No, but a thinner profile gives you a little more versatility when it comes to where you place it.

If the technology available allows you to make it thinner, why wouldn't you do so?
    So my Pre and my TouchPad are on their Touchstones sitting next to each other on my nightstand when my TouchPad says to my Pre "does this case make me look fat?", of course my Pre being a smartphone replied back "no".
    rburtz, davidtm and lukehale like this.
    What else is the little guy gonna say when you have a big fat girl asking you that?!

not if it's expecting some tts-somethin-somethin later... ya know what i mean?

and geez, that round pebble aint no slim jim himself ya know.

Quote Originally Posted by netwrkr9 View Post
    So my Pre and my TouchPad are on their Touchstones sitting next to each other on my nightstand when my TouchPad says to my Pre "does this case make me look fat?", of course my Pre being a smartphone replied back "no".
    Quote Originally Posted by donm527 View Post
    not if it's expecting some tts-somethin-somethin later... ya know what i mean?
    Kinda gives new meaning to "Touch-to-Share".
    Global Posts
    717 Global Posts
    What the Touchpad sees when it looks in the mirror:
    NNJ
    donm527 and laoh like this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    Would it be a deal breaker for apple fans? No.

Would WebOS fans be trumpetting the smaller size of the TP as a benefit? Yes.
    Maybe, but you are missing the point. For the average user it's a non-issue unless the tech intelligentsia keep saying it's fatter and heavier. I'd hazard a guess that most couldn't even tell you the weight or size difference.

In the echo chamber that is the world of techno-geeks, people will argue endlessly about minutia. Sure for some it may matter, but for others it does not until they are told that it should.

Also, there is no reason to allow that the "7 ways the Touchpad Burns the iPad" headline to set off your alarms. I'll bet you someone other than the writer tacked that on just to get this kind of reaction. Search the technical press and you will see similar TP vs. iPad headlines litters the web - strangely enough with opposite conclusions in many cases.

In many cases it comes down to preferences. I don't like devices which are so thin or small that I can forget they are there. Lots of people who have sat on phones in the back pocket or jumped on the bed with a ultra-thin laptop lying just under the covers would agree. (Never used the Razor back in the day or a Netbook now just for that reason).

C
    Last edited by C-Note; 07/06/2011 at 04:59 PM. Reason: typo
    "Sometimes I feel like an OS-less child..."
    (with apologies to Billie Holiday )
    Global Posts
    679 Global Posts
    When the iPad 1 came out, nobody ever said it was too fat and heavy. Now the iPad 2 is out, all other tablets are suddenly too fat and heavy to use, even if they are exactly the same weight and size as the iPad 1.
    hmmm...i do remember carrying a book bag full of large text books and don't remember saying that my history book was a bit heavier than my math book....by the way does anyone know how heavy the bible is....i will have to ask my priest the next time i see him....people will knit pick the TP to death because most already have an Ipad and wish they waited for the Touchpad...
    Global Posts
    565 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by RedMist View Post
    When the iPad 1 came out, nobody ever said it was too fat and heavy.
    Actually the iPad 1 was routinely compared to the Kindle and other e-readers since it was positioning itself in part as something that could fit that purpose, and the fact it was both larger and heavier than those devices were routinely spoken as a negative concerning it.

Strangely, when I was very underwhelmed by the iPad and on various net forums, I remember a apple fans having similar feelings as many of the people on this forum lamenting how ridiculous it is to be arguing over the variation in size and weight.
    It's been a while since college (go Gators!) but i certainly remember my chem book was heavier than my english book. Remember my physics book was heavier than my English book. At times wishing my books weren't so fricken so heavy to lug. Guess depends what you studied I remember my history of rock and roll book was one of the lightest books I had

People are making an observation it's heavier. Writers are making an observation and comparing it to others. Hey, it's the truth... It's heavier than others. Imo, Its people here that are getting bent about it and creating the posts and keeping it a hot topic. Some people will make a decision based on feel that may include weight... Thats fine.

I like the touchpad... Happy with my ipad2 honestly. But not wanting one yet... They gotta sort out the bugs and IMO take off $100 and might buy one for my daughter so that she can use flash to play clubpenguin.com and her mom can have her ipad2 back.

Quote Originally Posted by kataran View Post
    hmmm...i do remember carrying a book bag full of large text books and don't remember saying that my history book was a bit heavier than my math book....by the way does anyone know how heavy the bible is....i will have to ask my priest the next time i see him....people will knit pick the TP to death because most already have an Ipad and wish they waited for the Touchpad...
    Last edited by donm527; 07/06/2011 at 04:09 PM.
    sinsin07 likes this.
    Nail on the head there

Quote Originally Posted by nyallj View Post
    What the Touchpad sees when it looks in the mirror:
    nyallj and sinsin07 like this.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123