Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree57Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by rsanchez1 View Post
    Guys, I'm making the announcement here. I'm coming out with the AirPad next month. It features a width of 0" and a weight of 0 lbs. It has as many apps as you can imagine, and has infinite battery. You'll hold it in your hand, and it will be like it's not even there, but the experience will be so immersive you won't be able to put it down. Sure, it will take a while to get used to people staring at you like you're a crazy person, but they'll get used to it, just like they got used to bluetooth headsets.
    and we will pay for for it, but it would be like as if you never got it.
    If this helped you hit thanks.
    Cyberiian likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by rsanchez1 View Post
    Guys, I'm making the announcement here. I'm coming out with the AirPad next month. It features a width of 0" and a weight of 0 lbs. It has as many apps as you can imagine, and has infinite battery. You'll hold it in your hand, and it will be like it's not even there, but the experience will be so immersive you won't be able to put it down. Sure, it will take a while to get used to people staring at you like you're a crazy person, but they'll get used to it, just like they got used to bluetooth headsets.
    Sorry man. As much as I respect your product, I don't want it.

And I simply don't want it for one reason: You're not Steve Jobs.
    Steve Jobs will beat you to the market by offering a product that has a negative weight. He'll make it happen trust me.
    SO i went to best buy to check out the TouchPad.
    1. It wasn't working so that sucked.
    2. Honestly in my opinion, its a bit too chunky.

Your mileage may vary, but i was actually a bit surprised when i picked it up. The Acer tablet actually felt a bit thinner.
    Americans are such hypocrites.

On average you guys are 20% more obese than the rest of the world.

But if one of your tablets isnt skinny enough, then its all over.

tsk tsk.
    Midway99, rsanchez1 and kkhanmd like this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brain Mantis View Post
    This board is getting ridiculous.
    I agree.

Where does this fall into the forum rules about “helping others with problems” and the like?

If the mods want to stomp out the mindless arguing, they really should be enforcing the same rules to threads like this.

But alas, this post will be deleted soon by the mods and this thread will likely continue on…

-Suntan
    I completely agree with you.

The first time I held a iPad2 was when I had watched WWDC and read all the glorifying reviews of it. I stopped by the Apple store an picked it up. My very first reaction when picking it up was it was to thin because I could not naturally comb my hand around it. Then my conscious kicked it and it became more of a thing of bewilder ment because 'nothing can be to thin...' can it?

Then this past week I had my pleasure to handle the TouchPad for the first time. This was after getting really excited about it, then getting way underwhelmed by the reviews. I had read that it weighed alot, was way to thick, slow, laggy, unfinished. Well I decided to go down to by local BestBuy and I walked in. I asked were the TouchPad was and they directed me over to the HP laptop area and right in the middle was the HP white desk with a TouchPad and a Veer.

My first observation was that it was much more rounded (corners) than I expected. I was also happy when I saw the screen wasn't as dim as the Veer's screen. But then I picked it up. The back curved naturally around my figures and did NOT feel like a chunk of paper weight like the reviews had described it. It actually had a huge anti-stealing thing on the back that covered like a third of the device, and with that added to the weight, it still didn't feel to bad. I felt the back and it was alot better than I had expected it to feel (like sticky rubber). Yes, it did have figure prints all over it but to tell you the truth, I don't care because the back isn't what you look at all day. My experience kept going and I found the device to be quite snappy with not much lag at all, other than loading apps. I found that anything that took more than 2 blinks of the icon to load was to long. It doesn't bother me that it takes a bit to load, it bothers me that it might bother someone else that it takes so long .

Overall, I completely disagree with almost every single review out there right now (including PreCentral's part about the design). It is a great device for me and I am going to get it.
    As with all of my big posts, if you read it, I here by give you a virtual high-5
    "Life is Hard... it's harder if your stupid"
    - John Wayne
  7.    #27  
    Quote Originally Posted by Midway99 View Post
    Get over it. Everyone has their own opinion on things, so what if they don't agree with you. Are you happy with it? Then it's good for you. Why get so worked up over something so insignificant.
    I ask the same question of anyone that says that the TP's size is a dealbreaker
    funny. I'm not sure why folks are losing their minds over these devices. It's just stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by rmausser View Post
    Americans are such hypocrites.

On average you guys are 20% more obese than the rest of the world.

But if one of your tablets isnt skinny enough, then its all over.

tsk tsk.
    Global Posts
    2,060 Global Posts
    The problem is that the touchpad's spec is so similar to the ipad 2. If the touchpad has a lcd screen that has the same resolution as the Xoom --- nobody would have said anything about its thickness.
    Actually closer to ipad1. I mean... It does have a litle more junk in her trunk compared to the others. I don't even think people say she's the fattest... But when you are the new girl to the party, people will notice who the slim girl is... And theyll see who the fatty is. Late to the party and a fatty.

Problem is that could be the case in future models due to the touchstone system? I mean the phones are kinda... 'thick' too eh?

Quote Originally Posted by samab View Post
    The problem is that the touchpad's spec is so similar to the ipad 2. If the touchpad has a lcd screen that has the same resolution as the Xoom --- nobody would have said anything about its thickness.
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    I'm as big a Palm / HP fan as anyone else, but i really dont get what's so hard to understand about this. It's not actually the size or weight, but the fact it's larger than the competition.

Couple that with the fact they've actually heard of the iPad and know it's the market leader, and it doesnt paint a good picture for the Touchpad. (In fact, when first seeing it, my sister asked if my Touchpad was an iPad, then a Galaxy Tab, and when I told her it wasnt, she had no idea what a Touchpad was).

Of course fractions of an inch or a few ounces dont matter in a vacuum, but this is a new product going up against an incumbent leader with a huge head start. It's going to be difficult, and the inevitable comparisons like this dont help.
    You answer your own question. Some here see it as a naked marketing distinction that would not matter to most people unless it is constantly drummed up as a big deal. Granted it WILL matter to some (especially with small hands or people who are 'weight sensitive'), but outside of those people... in that 'vacuum' you speak of, it's not much of a deal.

But keep planting the seed in the public mind and it becomes a real issue. If a person needs apps that are not on the TP, that's more legitimate as a concern.

But think of it this way, the the roles were reversed, with the iPad 2 being the 'fatty', would it be a dealbreaker for most people? Not likely, since there are more important issues than .3 ounces.
    "Sometimes I feel like an OS-less child..."
    (with apologies to Billie Holiday )
    Global Posts
    565 Global Posts
    Call me whatever names you wish for stating this, but it is an issue for me. A deal breaker in and of itself? No. However, one of the things that pushed me over the edge in getting an iPad2 as my "see if I'll actually use a tablet" holdover device when I wasn't going to buy an iPad1 was the thinness.

It feels a ton better in my hand than the iPad1 did. It did make it a bit easier to hold up while reading or playing with it in bed then what reviews led me to believe about the iPad1. I don't use a giant case, I use a smart cover and one of the adhesive tight fitting jackets to cover the back and screen. I do this SPECIFICALLY because I wanted to have the thinness of it and didn't want to make it useless putting it in a big case.

For anyone saying people are stupid for wanting something smaller, perhaps you should vent that similar frustration and accusation towards the owners of WebOS who have marketed and entire phone based on the fact that its a bit smaller than the competition.

And, somehow, I have zero doubts in my mind that if things were flipped and the TouchPad was thinner than the iPad that most of the people in this thread wouldn't be going "Meh, that's not a big benefit of the TouchPad, that size doesn't matter" but would instead be trumpetting it as one of the way it "Burns" the ipad.

Is it a reason alone to not buy the TouchPad? Absolutely not, its hard to imagine anyone seriously not buying it based on that fact alone. But its an undisputable fact that compared to others in its product segment that it is not top end in regards to its size and that size is generally something the market does take into account (if not, why the Veers, why the constant push for smaller thinner phones, etc?).
    clevin, laoh and gabe2gg like this.
    Global Posts
    565 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by C-Note View Post
    But think of it this way, the the roles were reversed, with the iPad 2 being the 'fatty', would it be a dealbreaker for most people? Not likely, since there are more important issues than .3 ounces.
    Would it be a deal breaker for apple fans? No.

Would WebOS fans be trumpetting the smaller size of the TP as a benefit? Yes.
    DougB541#CB and clevin like this.
    Guys, just drink, drink, and more drink. After about the sixth beer, Ms. Touchpad will begin to look thin and hot.
    rburtz and FLY_N_NE_WEATHR like this.
    Quote Originally Posted by donm527 View Post
    Actually closer to ipad1. I mean... It does have a litle more junk in her trunk compared to the others. I don't even think people say she's the fattest... But when you are the new girl to the party, people will notice who the slim girl is... And theyll see who the fatty is. Late to the party and a fatty.
    but a girl with the weight in all the right places will get heaps more attention than the stick figure chicks.
    PrinceAlbert likes this.
    Global Posts
    165 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnWLandfair View Post
    eh, who cares? My Touchpad is more functional than an iPad, so iPad can suckit.
    Can we be realistic here? I would honestly say the Touchpad has the potiential to be more funtional than the Ipad, but still needs a good amount of work. Hopefully the second gen Touchpad will be able to deliver.
    Size matters.

If you show the average customer two tablets with similar specs and price, except one is 0.3 inches thinner, most people would tend to pick the thinner one. Just part of human mentality. The difference is negligible (at best) but it's all mental. And, frankly, I understand it. If the price difference isn't an issue and the specs are similar, why not get the slimmer one? While I do agree it's really not a big deal in practice, I have to wonder why HP didn't go a little further and just match the iPad in dimensions and weight. I mean, this whole TP thing was carefully crafted to be an iPad competitor and yet right out of the gate it's already inferior in two specs that customers care about (whether logical or not).
    Thickness/weight to this degree really only matters if you're making your selection based on reading spec sheet. Line up the specs and go down the line, and the iPad2/Galaxy Tab get the nice green checkmark next to "super light" and "super thin", while the TP gets a glaring red "X"

I own both an iPad 2 and TP, and I actually prefer the TP's size. I find myself always worrying that the iPad is going to slip out of my hands, but not with the TP. The thicker form factor also makes it more comfortable to hold, imo.

So in terms of actual usage, I think its really a matter of preference; however, with so many people making buying decisions based on specs and perceived "sleekness" (many even order online without even touching the product first), it will definitely hurt.
    Global Posts
    122 Global Posts
    I have to say I am loving the format.. This is my 7 th attempt at a tablet.. Ive had a galaxy tab 3g an iPad 2 a transformer another transformer another iPad 2 a galaxy tab 10 and finally a touchpad. I'm keeping the touchpad! Everything else with exception of the GT 3g I felt I would break them. The TP feels great in my hands and I'm glad to be back using WebOS!
    Have you seen Engadget's review of the HP Touchsmart?
    HP TouchSmart 610 review -- Engadget

The slimmest all-in-one this is not. Compared to the 2.5-inch-thin Lenovo ThinkCentre 91z, which actually makes that claim, it's 4.1-inch thick shell is chunky, though no more so than a small television. It's also thicker than the 27-inch iMac, which also measures 2.5 inches thick at its widest point.
    Engadget made this "thickness" complaint about a computer THAT HAS IT'S OWN FREAKING STAND!!!!
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast