Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes
  1.    #1  
    An inevitable question is, will someone be able to create a patch to return our beloved back-swipe gesture to us? At least until HP realizes we're serious about wanting it back?

(My Touchpad will arrive on the 9th, and I can't wait. Played with one at BB last week, but made the mistake of pre-ordering on Amazon without one-day shipping! Talk about torture.. *sigh*)
    No gesture are = no back gesture, with or without patching.

Only if devs pick the facebook app behaviour, you will have something similar.
    Newness Developments apps:

How about a patch to change the "back" button (and empty area across bottom of screen) to support the gesture?

I honestly don't get it. They got rid of the swipe because there was no area around the display, but then they give up the area to show a small button on the left hand side. Couldn't they use that for the swipe?
    KA1
    Visor Deluxe->Visor Prism/Digital Link->Treo 650->Treo 700p->Pre->GSM Unlocked Pre 2 (wifi only)->FrankenPre + Touchpad 32 ->+ Touchpad 4G ATT + ATT Pre3 + 64 White Touchpad... bliss.
  4.    #4  
    I'm with you; I understand that the gesture area is gone, and realize that apps can be built to include that gesture. However, I was wondering if there's a way to patch-in the back-swipe gesture at the OS level, regardless of what app is running. Is it technically possible?
    Quote Originally Posted by ka1 View Post
    I honestly don't get it. They got rid of the swipe because there was no area around the display, but then they give up the area to show a small button on the left hand side. Couldn't they use that for the swipe?
    And that's exactly what Facebook app does. you use the drag Handler to swipe back.

Quote Originally Posted by Saltcreep View Post
    I'm with you; I understand that the gesture area is gone, and realize that apps can be built to include that gesture. However, I was wondering if there's a way to patch-in the back-swipe gesture at the OS level, regardless of what app is running. Is it technically possible?
    No, it's not possible, because there isn't a default call or behaviour to patch.

what about a patch that dedicates a tiny portion at the bottom of the screen to gestures? Or, of course the obvious: multi-finger support for gestures.
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnWLandfair View Post
    what about a patch that dedicates a tiny portion at the bottom of the screen to gestures? Or, of course the obvious: multi-finger support for gestures.
    multi-finger seems like the way to go. two or three finger swipe in either direction would be nice.
    dajlol77, satchmo82 and khe05 like this.
    A patched gesture area would be counterproductive at this point [I miss it too]. Developers would have to program for a patch that not everyone would have and still provide a "back" option for those that don't patch. The back function appears to be at the discretion of the developer now [notice that it is not at all consistent in how it is implemented]. I suspect that HP made the decision to eliminate the gesture area to remove one more obstacle to cross platform development.
    Quote Originally Posted by strykr View Post
    multi-finger seems like the way to go. two or three finger swipe in either direction would be nice.
    +1
  11.    #11  
    Yes, multi-finger swipe has been mentioned here many times and would be awesome. Is multi-finger-swipe feasible patch fodder?
    Quote Originally Posted by Saltcreep View Post
    Yes, multi-finger swipe has been mentioned here many times and would be awesome. Is multi-finger-swipe feasible patch fodder?
    That's a great question. I know Patches were created for specific apps like the web browser to allow multi gesture swipes left and right to do different things. Not sure if this is possible on webOS as a who and everywhere their is a back button you can can two finger swipe to the left to go backwards?

Does anyone know how Blackberry handled back swipes on the Playbook. I heard they don't have a dedicated Gesture area so if QNX can do it I'm pretty certain webOS can also. Sorli...
    Global Posts
    74 Global Posts
    As much as I liked the back gesture, and how it freed up room on the screen by not requiring a button to tap, I don't feel like it was a very intuitive feature. Hand someone a Pre for the first time and see if they can figure out what to do with that mysterious glowing area at the bottom of the phone.
    Quote Originally Posted by derwin View Post
    I don't feel like it was a very intuitive feature. Hand someone a Pre for the first time and see if they can figure out what to do with that mysterious glowing area at the bottom of the phone.
    Hand a dumb phone user an iphone and ask them to make a call. I don't think 'intuitive' means being born with the knowledge of how an OS works.
    Quote Originally Posted by sorli View Post
    Does anyone know how Blackberry handled back swipes on the Playbook. I heard they don't have a dedicated Gesture area so if QNX can do it I'm pretty certain webOS can also. Sorli...
    What are you referring to for the Playbook? There's no "back swipe" that I'm aware of. I had to put a back button into my Playbook app.
    Quote Originally Posted by appsotutely View Post
    What are you referring to for the Playbook? There's no "back swipe" that I'm aware of. I had to put a back button into my Playbook app.
    Good question and I'm referencing quotes from online Playbook reviews saying gestures for forward and back were builtin by default. So they dont do it either, interesting, and I guess we'll just have to get used to tapping arrows.

Sorry for the mis information and I guess HP is reinventing the wheel since I thought gestures were pretty cool. I honestly believe it would have costs HP too much money to have a dedicated gesture area on top, bottom, left and right and this is why they axed it.

I can learn to live without it, but it will be missed! Here's to hoping webOS Internals has a rabbit up it sleeve! Sorli...
  17.    #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by sorli View Post
    Here's to hoping webOS Internals has a rabbit up it sleeve! Sorli...
    +1!!!
    We know HP added the up swipe at the last minute. Couldn't a system wide patch be created for all BACK buttons to be equal to a swipe from right to left starting one inch from the left bezel and swiping until your finger reaches the screen? This could then work in all apps with a back button. A swipe from left to right in the same fashon could equal the forward button (so far only existing in the web browser that I know of).

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    ericj09 likes this.
    I loved the backward swipe on my pre. Since I had the phone for two years and no new ones came out, I went to android. I have a touchpad tablet and really appreciate the fact that palm pre apps work and that they have the ability to backward swipe to prior screen. Wish my tablet apps offered the same feature
    Can't deal with the lack of gestures. I have a touchpad and still mostly use my phone because its just easier.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast