Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
  1.    #1  
    as much as I want a Touchpad, its articles like these which pop up and make me reconsider, as much as i hate to admit this.

thoughts?

BlackBerry PlayBook vs. HP TouchPad: A tale of two failures | ZDNet
    Wow.

It's a failure after being on the shelves for 4 days? Is that possible?
    I think all these people fear the Touchpad have Apple stocks
    reading it... it's not like every point that he mentioned has not been verified here by owners here... HP made the choice to release knowing there were glitches and needing an update ASAP and nothing you can do but wait for the update. Hopefully July 25th is the date and it will resolve most of them.

Quote Originally Posted by jetsetter883 View Post
    as much as I want a Touchpad, its articles like these which pop up and make me reconsider, as much as i hate to admit this.

thoughts?

More likely zdnet needs viewers.
    They must look on it on the bright side, there is 50% chance they will be right and a 50% chance they will be wrong and the TouchPad will be a success, and in the meantime perhaps people will come to their site if they choose the more negative slant.
    yep. i mean look at how people were all over the Xoom when it first came out and it was half backed with memory slot not working and other features. This is not a Palm/HP specific thing... the public will crucify anyone. Remember the iphone 4 antenna issue? They were calling it a fail immediately.

Quote Originally Posted by Beanis View Post
    Wow.

It's a failure after being on the shelves for 4 days? Is that possible?
    Even though its not for me, I usually implore folks who ask my opinion to actually go to a place like bestbuy with live demos and try it out for themselves. Even if you decide to buy and don't like, there's always a money back return policy.

Sent from my SCH-I800 using Tapatalk
    .....Life is But Such Sweet Sorrow.....
    Cheer up. Here is a more balanced spin by Forrester Research on Forbes.
    Forrester read by a number of analysts, also Forbes read by a number of businesses, nice exposure for HP

HP TouchPad: A Necessary Risk, Uncertain Reward - Forrester Research - Forrester on Tech - Forbes

thoughts?

I love how they declare the touchpad a failure less then 2 business days since the release. Stupid. What a bunch of hack journalism.
    Global Posts
    960 Global Posts
    eh, its way too early to call TP a failure... The touchpad has pretty much all the nessesary apps. and the ones that are missing for the most part u can go to the web for to make up for it.

this includes doc editing~!

HP did the right thing. The touchpad is ready to go. yes its not 100% and there are a couple of issues. the biggest one is the video app that sometimes recognizes the codec and sometimes doens't. Outside of that the TP is just about on par with the ipad.

Just lacking some polish, to put it above and beyond
    Want to help design and write an app?
    follow me at Twiiter @ijip
    THANKS~!!
    Global Posts
    782 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by donm527 View Post
    reading it... it's not like every point that he mentioned has not been verified here by owners here... HP made the choice to release knowing there were glitches and needing an update ASAP and nothing you can do but wait for the update. Hopefully July 25th is the date and it will resolve most of them.

True, as he spent at least half of his review of the TouchPad on the size/weight issue. That was known. He didn't even have to test it to report that.

Here is what I disagreed with in the review: 1) He says the battery life was only about 4-6 hours. We have a thread w/numerous people contradicting this w/actual usage. People saying it lasts at least a day & some say it lasts 2 days. 4-6 hours vs up to 2 days? Something is fishy here.

2) He makes it sound like HP & TouchPad/webOS copied RIM & the Playbook vs the other way around.

3) He sounds like he read Mossberg's review from the WSJ & simply copied the negative items.

4) He says nothing, well virtually nothing, positive. Any article reviewing a device, even one that says the device "Fails," should mention the positive or it becomes unbelievable. He didn't mention phone calls or texting over the TouchPad, he doesn't mention the unobtrusive notifications, he barely mentions the multi tasking when he could have given great examples of what it can do vs the competition. I don't think he mentioned flash/full browsing, the 50G given by Box.net, TTS, etc.

Just a weird article when he can't mention any of the good things. Makes me think he didn't have an open mind or barely used the device.
    Global Posts
    319 Global Posts

thoughts?
    I guess it all depends on the user. I bought mine launch day and absolutely love it. I don't know if that is because I have simple demands of it (I want a consumption device, and it is great for reading things/surfing the web), but I have no regrets whatsoever. And even my wife, who is a gadget-hater who makes fun of me and still loves her dumb-phone, is addicted to it. In fact my biggest complaint right now is between her and my 4 year old who has discovered games from pbskids.org work great on it, I can't get to it enough.
    This guy is what I like to call "journalistic scum." I honestly believe that editorial showings like this mean that he has absolutely zero credibility as a journalistic because, evidently not having used it, he bashes it harshly in order to give the few readers ZDNet still has a barely interesting read.

Boycott Jason Perlow. He's worthless.

EDIT: At least someone on ZDNet knows what's what.
    He said he was using it during July 4 weekend. He gave exact examples with apps mentioned. He even has audio files from his chat attempts on the touchpad. boy those were brutal... sounded like old nasa recordings with astronauts in space. and the line, "lemme call you back on the ipad2"

yeah... he was really not liking the touchpad this weekend... maybe just built up frustration one glitch after another. on the opposite end you have many webos loving fans... (some far on the opposite end ) reminds me of the good ole Pre days where people would say, "what oreo?"

I imagine the truth is somewhere in the middle really. But again, HP has to release the update ASAP. they knew it... they have to take a bit of heat.

In the end, I honestly think this type of heat is good for HP... it tells them that people will not take anymore excuses and lights a fire under their **** to make the July 25th update. Because it definitely will be a fail if they delay the update.

Quote Originally Posted by IGNTNUNLMTD View Post
    This guy is what I like to call "journalistic scum." I honestly believe that editorial showings like this mean that he has absolutely zero credibility as a journalistic because, evidently not having used it, he bashes it harshly in order to give the few readers ZDNet still has a barely interesting read.

Boycott Jason Perlow. He's worthless.

EDIT: At least someone on ZDNet knows what's what.
    Well at least ZDNet (James Kendrick) has some good comments on the HP TouchPad homebrew community and this hands on review seemed fair and balanced even though he did not mention much about multi-tasking and other unique features.

The HP TouchPad homebrew community is already alive and well | ZDNet

http://www.zdnet.com/blog/mobile-new...e_skin;content
    Last edited by not-yet-pre; 07/05/2011 at 10:04 AM.
    Palm m130 > Verizon Trēo 650 > Verizon Trēo 755p > Verizon Palm Prē Plus > TouchPad > Verizon Palm Prē 2
    ~ The Future's Just Not What it Used To Be ~
    The ZDNet article is largely the cold, hard truth about a currently very lackluster device (the HP TouchPad). It seems like every review I've read has been purposely forgiving of the TouchPad's software issues in the hopes the lock ups and lagging will be fixed by soon to come OTA updates. ZDNet's battery comments not seemingly accurate. When Engadget ran a controlled test, the TouchPad went 8.5hrs while continuously looping video (wifi off). That's solid enough as far as I'm concerned.

The TouchPad is a pretty big fail on the hardware side. If you have held and used the device like so many of the fans seem to beg, you'll know the device is very heavy and very thick compared to the iPad 2, the Galaxy Tab 10.1, and even the Xoom. The TouchPad lacks standard tablet features like a rear facing camera and video out as well. Go and hold the TouchPad, the Xoom and then switch to the iPad 2. Night and day.

On the software side, it's also a fail until those promised updates hit. I used a TouchPad for 3-5 minutes at Best Buy and lags and lock ups happily presented themselves to me. As it sits, right now, the "perfect" TouchPad is pretty sorry.

That said, the praising of QNX is kinda hilarious. The Playbook had more glitches and problems (by far) than the TouchPad at launch, and QNX is a battery and resource hogging, inefficient OS even after the problems get ironed out. Also, the Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1" is clunky, slow, unresponsive, cheaply built, junk plasticky feeling, piece of crap, but it is thin and light (LOL) based on my time with it. I'd rather have a Xoom.

If the rest of the mainstream TouchPad reviews had not been so forgiving and hopeful for the software updates to make the TouchPad run smoothly, they'd look just like the findings on ZDNet.
    As has been mentioned, this article is complete b.s.

Seriously, he just goes on and on about it's a failure simply because it's the same thickness and weight as the iPad 1. Really??? I'm not even going to comment more on this.

And what is he talking about "inferior building materials" by posting the teardown link? At no point do they say that the device is inferior. They said it's easier to repair than the iPad. He's flat out lying.

Battery life; again, totally false. First, I'm convinced that Walt Mossberg got a bad unit, because my touchpad's battery life is PHENOMENAL. Really, I'm not exaggerating. But still, how does a 6+ hour battery life from Walt's review turn into a "4-6" hour battery life. Where the hell did the 4 come from?

And then the stuttering. My device has had a coupe hiccups, but nothing even remotely close to all the negative garbage out there. I swear, I feel like I have the best luck with hardware because every time I buy something, I never get all the problems that are reported.

I got my device on Friday morning, and I didn't put it down ALL WEEKEND. Of course it's not perfect, but I love my touchpad, and personally, it works much better for me than an iPad. Probably what irritated me the most was that Kindle hasn't been released yet (the app is just a place holder until it's available) and quickoffice can't edit docs yet.

1. Multitasking - can't beat it. It's not a marketing gimmick when HP says you can actually be productive with this thing. It's awesome.
    2. Stereo Speakers - MY GOD, these things are awesome. It's an actual media device.
    3. Box.net - 50Gb free, amazing integration.
    4. Good app selection for a launch device. Listen, the iPad NEEDS apps for everything to make up for iOS shortcomings. WebOS comes baked with capabilities that iOS needs a 3rd party app to accomplish.
    5. Keyboard is nearly perfect.
    6. Photos app synergy. Oh my god, no back camera.... Guess what, take a picture with your cell phone (that has a much better camera) and upload it to facebook or wherever. Guess what, the photos appear on your touchpad IN SECONDS.

I'm at work so I can't continue, but there's more. I truly love my touchpad. When they come out with the touchpad2 next year, I'll pick that one up and the wife will get this one.

thoughts?

ZD who?? Sounds even worse than CNet.
    Those garbage sits like ZDnet and CNet are really just kinda useless. Once Anandtech site reviews it, then we will get more of a professional review.
    hagster likes this.
    ZDNet

Here's there link...

Technology News, Analysis, Comments and Product Reviews for IT Professionals | ZDNet

They actually have a nice writeup on the homebrew community on their front page right now as well as the leaked info on the 64gb white TP. not a bad site imo.

Quote Originally Posted by Weaser999 View Post
    ZD who?? Sounds even worse than CNet.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast