Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes
    prprpr $people$ $and$ $tp$ $cheerleaders$.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jman13 View Post
    So, wait a minute...you have been playing a video non-stop for 7.5 hours, and have dropped 80%, and you think this is BAD? That's pretty good battery life. THat last 20% should get you to about 9.5 hours of continuous video playing, at 100% volume and wi-fi on. The iPad 2 gets about 11.5 hours of video playing in Airplane mode...I bet the TP would get there too in airplane mode. That's pretty astounding life, IMO.

Me, I usually have to charge my TP every other day (every 3 days in some cases), though I'll usually recharge when I get to around 30% if I'm done using it for the time being. I generally use it for web browsing/light gaming for about 2 hours a day, and then use it as a Kindle at night for an hour or so. It stays on and wi-fi connected throughout the day and night (though asleep). I'm good with that.
    It's not so much that I thought it was bad, it's more that given I'm seeing people reporting that they're getting about that much play time with 50% screen brightness it seems I would not achieve that at all which I guess does concern me a bit because I would have thought the battery life would be even better (I'm a strange one, I know). Well, that and the fact that that first charge/use seemed to last forever

For the most part I use the Touchpad to check my email (IMAP and Hotmail), once in a while I log into Facebook and Twitter (web, not the apps), and then I have been using it as an eReader.
    Global Posts
    208 Global Posts
    it's all a matter of perception.

I see a drain around 10% an hour while I surf, email, YouTube, Twitter etc. When the battery indicator drops to zero, I still get another hour of surfing, email etc. So I see about 11 hours of constant moderate to heavy use.

Some here are reporting the battery dropping 13% an hour which would give 7.5 hours (plus about 45 mins after hitting false zero).

I expect that if I could stand to watch video or play games constantly on the Touchpad I'd still be happy, because 8 hours is still pretty good IMHO. But clearly many people here want more. That's fine ... More is better, right?

if I'd paid $500 or $600 on this I might be peeved, but I paid less than $200 so happy I am!
    Alright, I did a more objective test using Battery Monitor, which shows the runtime along with others stats

(Palm default, 32gb, all patches, auto-dim off)

At 100% brightness, I get 4.5-5 hrs (19-20% drainage per hour)
    At 50% brightness, I get about 6.5-7 hours (15-16% drainage per hour)

This is with heavy non-stop usage. One thing I noticed is that watching a movie drains less battery than actively using it like browsing and typing.

I repeated the tests with a 16gb touchpad, with all same patches and I got similar results.

I think the battery tests done on Anandtech are the most accurate:

http://www.anandtech.com/show/4508/h...hpad-review/18

Not really disappointed with the results, but doesn't seem as good as some are claiming here. Oh well, enough testing. Time to just enjoy this thing
    Last edited by bobbymd7; 09/19/2011 at 12:15 PM.
    My battery test results are about 7 hrs watching videos.
    Airplane mode is ON.
    Brightness is set to 100%.
    Sound usually turned down, but I occasionally checked to see if it was working.
    I used the Handbrake Preset for DVDs thread for the settings of the ripped videos that I used in the test.

http://forums.precentral.net/hp-touc...eset-dvds.html

After the 7 hrs, my TP was running a little low(5%).
    Plugged the stock charger in and about 3 hrs later it was fully charged.

PS. I bought one for each of my brothers. One gets slightly better battery life than mine and the other one, well my brother says he is getting about 2 hours per charge. I told him to bring it to me so that I could check it but honestly there isn't much I can do.
    12% per hour at 50% contrast surfing the net and a few flash videos. I put the contrast all the way down now.
    Global Posts
    47 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tarbo View Post
    12% per hour at 50% contrast surfing the net and a few flash videos. I put the contrast all the way down now.
    Isn't the screen too dim when you have the brightness all the way down? I find that anything under 40% or so gets too dim for viewing sites or videos.
    Quote Originally Posted by joeym74 View Post
    Isn't the screen too dim when you have the brightness all the way down? I find that anything under 40% or so gets too dim for viewing sites or videos.
    After I installed a anti-glare screen protector, no for most activities. I prefer it too as my eyes don't get strained as well.
    So... Another test, probably a more realistic one in terms of use.

I forget when I started this, a few days ago but here goes:

9:45pm - Turned on Touchpad, 100% Battery, Bluetooth On
    9:47pm - When the Touchpad actually turned on
    -Used it for Hotmail, Twitter (Site), some Facebook (site)
    10:14pm - 98%
    10:57pm - 90%
    11:05pm - 88%, Turned Bluetooth Off, Screen Locked and Turned Off
    12:47am - 89%, Off since 11:05, Went to Bed
    9:01am - 88%, Turned Bluetooth On, Browsed the Web
    10:01am - 74%
    10:14am - 72%, Turned Bluetooth Off, Screen Locked and Turned Off
    4:45pm - 71%, Off since 10:14am
    11:13pm - 70%
    -Used to browse the web
    11:49pm - 70%
    12:41am - 58%, Went to Bed
    7:20am - 57%
    4:40pm - 55%
    5:09pm - 55%, Turned Bluetooth On, Browsed the Web
    6:21pm - 38%, Turned Bluetooth Off
    8:15pm - 37%, Browsed the Web
    8:26pm - 35%
    11:42pm - 34%, Started Using pReader
    12:24am - 28%, Screen Locked and Off, Went To Bed
    7:40am - 26%, Turned It Off
    5:57pm - 25%, Turned It On, Did Not Use
    10:03pm - 24%, Turned Bluetooth On, Surfed the Web, Twitter (Site), Facebook (Site)
    10:26pm - 20%
    11:02pm - 12%, Battery Indicator Turned Red
    11:11pm - 10%
    11:16pm - 9%, Turned Off Touchpad and Charged It

It was nice that I got a couple of days out of it with standard/normal use but I couldn't help but feel at times the battery seemed to drain quicker than others (Yes, I know... I'm nuts!)
    Usually I go two days before charging, with a couple hours of web browsing and playing Scumm VM/Supernes.
    Down with the BourgeoisOS oppressors, webOS users unite!
    Not nuts; I'm getting the same over here. The battery definetely drains at different rates even though my use is pretty much the same from day to day.
    Quote Originally Posted by FunkinsDesigns View Post
    So... Another test, probably a more realistic one in terms of use.

I forget when I started this, a few days ago but here goes:

9:45pm - Turned on Touchpad, 100% Battery, Bluetooth On
    9:47pm - When the Touchpad actually turned on
    -Used it for Hotmail, Twitter (Site), some Facebook (site)
    10:14pm - 98%
    10:57pm - 90%
    11:05pm - 88%, Turned Bluetooth Off, Screen Locked and Turned Off
    12:47am - 89%, Off since 11:05, Went to Bed
    9:01am - 88%, Turned Bluetooth On, Browsed the Web
    10:01am - 74%
    10:14am - 72%, Turned Bluetooth Off, Screen Locked and Turned Off
    4:45pm - 71%, Off since 10:14am
    11:13pm - 70%
    -Used to browse the web
    11:49pm - 70%
    12:41am - 58%, Went to Bed
    7:20am - 57%
    4:40pm - 55%
    5:09pm - 55%, Turned Bluetooth On, Browsed the Web
    6:21pm - 38%, Turned Bluetooth Off
    8:15pm - 37%, Browsed the Web
    8:26pm - 35%
    11:42pm - 34%, Started Using pReader
    12:24am - 28%, Screen Locked and Off, Went To Bed
    7:40am - 26%, Turned It Off
    5:57pm - 25%, Turned It On, Did Not Use
    10:03pm - 24%, Turned Bluetooth On, Surfed the Web, Twitter (Site), Facebook (Site)
    10:26pm - 20%
    11:02pm - 12%, Battery Indicator Turned Red
    11:11pm - 10%
    11:16pm - 9%, Turned Off Touchpad and Charged It

It was nice that I got a couple of days out of it with standard/normal use but I couldn't help but feel at times the battery seemed to drain quicker than others (Yes, I know... I'm nuts!)
    Yes, you are. But thanks!
    Here are my results

LCD screen was set on lowest power (not the lowest lowest power with the preware patch)

Discharging
    10:40am 100%
    1:10pm 74% played need for speed during this time period
    2:03pm 64% web surfing -- multiple tabs open in advanced browser 1.2.7
    3:12pm 48% web surfing -- multiple tabs open in advanced browser 1.2.7
    4:13pm 37% more need for speed
    5:05pm 24% dinner
    Idle for 2 hours and 43 minutes (power button pressed once: touchpad is still on)
    7:43pm 18% web surfing/videos on youtube
    8:21pm 10%

Charging (while in use as well)
    8:22pm 10%
    10:12pm 40%
    10:53pm 55%
    12:28am 96%
    12:38am 100% with vibration indicator

Battery info (according to dr. battery)
    6612mah manufacturer rating
    5476mah dr. battery actual

I suppose I use my touchpad at longer lengths which is why my battery life is roughly 7.5 hours with the media consumption I do. (mix of games/video/surfing)
    Quote Originally Posted by wooty View Post
    Battery info (according to dr. battery)
    6612mah manufacturer rating
    5476mah dr. battery actual
    Wow I still have 6083mah left on mine (same mfr rating), had it since 15 July and used it almost constantly up until a month or two ago. Still use it often, just not as often.
    Due to the cancellation of the penny, I no longer give 2 about anything. I may however, give a nickel
    Global Posts
    893 Global Posts
    What are considered normal values for the TP when idle?
    I usually not shut it down overnight. I just turn off the wireless manually and let it sleep until the morning.
    Is there any difference in this than turning on the airplane mode, as there is no 3G in TP ?
    What are considered normal drain values?
    For example I got the battery warning (at 20%) last night around 20.00, so I let it sleep. I checked around at 13.00 today and it went from 20% to 4%. All this time with wifi off.
    Airplane also shuts off the Bluetooth radio
    Author:
    Remove Messaging Beeps patch for webOS 3.0.5, Left/Right bezel gestures in LunaCE,
    Whazaa! Messenger and node-wa, SynerGV 1 and 2 - Google Voice integration, XO - Subsonic Commander media streamer, AB:S Launcher
    (1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
    GO OPEN WEBOS!
    People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
    Global Posts
    893 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by eblade View Post
    Airplane also shuts off the Bluetooth radio
    Yeah, I know. Thanks though.
    Just asking if there is any difference for turning off wifi.
    Global Posts
    293 Global Posts
    I normally take the TouchPad off the Touchstone in the morning and take it in to the office with me. I leave it running all day on batteries, connected on WiFi, checking mail, receiving occasional messages. Screen off most of the time. In the evening it's usually down to something like 93%, which I think is pretty good.

Just yesterday though I did the same thing, and by the time I got home the battery was at 60%! I left it off the charger and checked it again in a couple of hours and it was down to 44%! Nothing was apparently running on the TouchPad other than the normal WiFi connection and scheduled email checking. Then I rebooted it and left it for a while, and the unusual battery drain appeared to have stopped. I'm still on stock WebOS 3.0.4 as I have been for some time, so the fast battery drain was nothing to do with the WebOS version. I don't have dual-boot Android or anything like that. I would guess that an app crashed invisibly and got stuck in a loop some time in the last few days, and that was responsible for the power drain.
    I just got my TP on Tuesday (Feb 7) from the recent woot deal. I charged it full last night, web browsed for about 20 minutes and the battery dropped to 92%.

I hit the button on the side to turn off the screen and set it down for the night. This morning I used it for about 10 minutes and thought to check the battery - it was at 82%.

I figure I am doing something wrong, leaving something running that doesn't need to be. I have a first gen iPad and the battery life is considerably different.

Any tips to extend the battery on the Touchpad?
    Load in Preware, get the uberkernal and govnah and use the TCLOndemand setting. That will make your tablet run at 384mhz when you are not using it.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast