Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes
    I didn't have easy access to an outlet last night, so I put my TP in airplane mode... It dropped from 73% to 70% overnight and only another 4% after an additional 6 hrs of light/no use.

The worst I've gotten out of it was during use on a slooowwwww wifi connection. I dropped about 12% in an hour, and the TP was really laggy too. I'm thinking if you have satellite internet service you may not have a great experience with performance and batt life.
    TANSTAAFL!
    I ran my TP for several hours listening to Pandora and doing a little email work and the battery only dropped by 20%. I'm quite impressed with the battery life. I, too, am so used to charging the device after each use. I'm looking forward to breaking this habit!
    Global Posts
    962 Global Posts
    Maybe it's owing to my use of the iPad2, but my TP's battery seems to drain pretty quickly when on wifi.

still really enjoying it.
    Yeah battery life always gets better with a few charge cycles. The Lithium batteries have a bell curve shaped life to them. They start out short, then reach their max, then slowly die off.

My touchpad is not really that good on battery life. But then again, I haven't reached too many cycles yet so I am not judging it just yet. I am unpluging at aroung 8am, and getting home at about 8pm with about 40% battery, but that's with light usage. I use a LOT at night and the battery dies much faster. It goes down about 12% an hour. Maybe more. I think my Pre 2 gets better life. I have awesome battery life with my Pre 2, but then again, that was after a few cycles. I woke up one day and BAM battery lasted forever.

Now my pre 2 is unplugged at 8am and by 5pm I am still at 80% with moderate use. Makes me happy.
    Last edited by estebancam; 07/08/2011 at 05:32 PM. Reason: Added pre 2 stats
    Global Posts
    962 Global Posts
    I can watch TV/Movies all the way to Europe (no wifi) on my ip2 and arrive with 75% (europe) or 65% (asia)...hoping the TP can get close...
    mine isn't quite as good as the poster's experience. But, damn its good. I especially like how when it is down to ten percent it is still kicking. Unlike my Pre, who constantly lies about battery life. It says 40 and then yells at me that it will turn off soon :-P
    The touchpad surpasses my netbook in every way, plus I can have Pandora running MOST of the day!
    It can take my beatings at work and still have a good amount of juice left.
    ------------------------------------------------------
    (\__/)
    (='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your
    ('')_('') signature to help him gain world domination
    The battery is pretty good. I had an iPad 1 before the TP and that thing got really good battery life for what i used it (pandora, nook, netflix, browsing). I do notice my TP drains a little faster but I have a tendency to be running tons of applications at once, which is something i could not do with my iPad.
    somline and cobrakon like this.
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnWLandfair View Post
    Unlike my Pre, who constantly lies about battery life. It says 40 and then yells at me that it will turn off soon :-P
    You probably know that you can fix that but I would buy a new one.
    Don't know if the 3-5$ still exists @ amazon.
    Quote Originally Posted by bobbymd7 View Post
    yeah I got about 7 to 8 hours heavy usage (hulu, scummv, browsing) at 50% brightness. I get 4 to 5 hours at 100% brightness.
    I've had my Touchpad for about a week and a half now but haven't been using it much. The first time I charged it up (right after taking it out of the box) I charged it with the wall adapter and the battery seemed to go forever (I did no formal testing but found I could browse the net for a long time with the battery not dropping at all), and I had the screen at full brightness, wireless on, volume about 50%. When I finally went to charge it the second time I used the Touchstone I got with it and to me the battery seemed to be dying much quicker and I was concerned. I charged it again last night and unplugged it shortly after seeing the battery was 100% charged so I could copy a movie to it (then turning it off for the night, leaving it off until getting home from work today). I have been testing it since shortly after getting home from work.

The video is an MP4 file that's 9 minutes and 28 seconds long, with the display around 15% brightness, 100% volume, Wi-Fi on and I'm using the built in video player (I couldn't figure out how to make the video loop so when it finishes I'm pressing the play button to play it again).

Here's what I've recorded so far:
    100% at 6:52pm
    94% at 7:51pm
    76% at 9:29pm
    55% at 11:15pm
    36% at 12:52am
    28% at 1:40am
    20% at 2:21am (it's extremely difficult to see the screen now as it's so dark, I actually had to turn off all the lights in my apartment so I could see what the battery level was at)

I should add that I'm using the original OS with whatever update HP released for it, none of the builds and nothing is overclocked.

Still trying to figure out if I'm crazy for thinking that I was getting better battery life out of it before or if I should just shut up and accept that this is good (or figure out if it's bad so I can either return it or contact HP if needed).

What do you guys think and is there a way I could squeeze a little more power out of the Touchpad? I'm hoping to do some more testing with it tomorrow with the display at 50% and then, maybe if I really feel up to it, again at 100%.

Oh, I should add that the only program I've actually installed on the Touchpad is pReader along with a whole bunch of books (but I've only added 6-8 to the library), along with a bunch of videos (which aren't recognized by the built in player).
    Last edited by FunkinsDesigns; 09/17/2011 at 01:24 AM.
    anything u can to reduce notifications going off all the time when its in standby is handy, as is turning off the notifications blink in screen & lock, keep auto dim on, and remember to reduce brightness where possible, esp when its dark, big battery saver, ive had days of use before slapping it back in the touchstone.

plus if your not doing anythig taxing, you can even have an underclock profile in govnah, might help if only a little, i have 3 saved atm, stock, overclock and underclock.
    Quote Originally Posted by FunkinsDesigns View Post
    I've had my Touchpad for about a week and a half now but haven't been using it much. The first time I charged it up (right after taking it out of the box) I charged it with the wall adapter and the battery seemed to go forever (I did no formal testing but found I could browse the net for a long time with the battery not dropping at all), and I had the screen at full brightness, wireless on, volume about 50%. When I finally went to charge it the second time I used the Touchstone I got with it and to me the battery seemed to be dying much quicker and I was concerned. I charged it again last night and unplugged it shortly after seeing the battery was 100% charged so I could copy a movie to it (then turning it off for the night, leaving it off until getting home from work today). I have been testing it since shortly after getting home from work.

The video is an MP4 file that's 9 minutes and 28 seconds long, with the display around 15% brightness, 100% volume, Wi-Fi on and I'm using the built in video player (I couldn't figure out how to make the video loop so when it finishes I'm pressing the play button to play it again).

94% at 7:51pm
    76% at 9:29pm
    55% at 11:15pm
    36% at 12:52am
    28% at 1:40am
    20% at 2:21am (it's extremely difficult to see the screen now as it's so dark, I actually had to turn off all the lights in my apartment so I could see what the battery level was at)

I should add that I'm using the original OS with whatever update HP released for it, none of the builds and nothing is overclocked.

Still trying to figure out if I'm crazy for thinking that I was getting better battery life out of it before or if I should just shut up and accept that this is good (or figure out if it's bad so I can either return it or contact HP if needed).

What do you guys think and is there a way I could squeeze a little more power out of the Touchpad? I'm hoping to do some more testing with it tomorrow with the display at 50% and then, maybe if I really feel up to it, again at 100%.

Oh, I should add that the only program I've actually installed on the Touchpad is pReader along with a whole bunch of books (but I've only added 6-8 to the library), along with a bunch of videos (which aren't recognized by the built in player).
    To update the post, I continued on with testing and here's where I ended up:

13% at 3:01am

After that I decided that I had tested enough and didn't think I should continue on until the system powered itself off/drained the battery completely (for fear of damaging the battery as I've had that happen before with a laptop battery).

Still trying to decide if that's normal or not. As I said, when first getting the Touchpad and charging it I swear I could use it for a long period of time and go online without it making much of a dent in battery life while now it seems that's not the case at all.
    Quote Originally Posted by geekpeter View Post
    anything u can to reduce notifications going off all the time when its in standby is handy, as is turning off the notifications blink in screen & lock, keep auto dim on, and remember to reduce brightness where possible, esp when its dark, big battery saver, ive had days of use before slapping it back in the touchstone.

plus if your not doing anythig taxing, you can even have an underclock profile in govnah, might help if only a little, i have 3 saved atm, stock, overclock and underclock.
    If I remember correctly I have turned off notifications/notification blink on the Touchpad, auto-dim is on and, as I mentioned, I have been using the Touchpad at pretty much the lowest screen brightness.

When I was using the Touchpad for the first time (the first time I'm talking about), I actually had all the settings at default so the screen brightness was high, all notifications were turned on, system was set to backup (which I have disabled as well). I have since gone and set up an IMAP account but have it set to manual so it will only check for email when I tell it so so I don't believe that would be the cause.

I will try to test again with the screen at 50% as I'm curious (although it won't happen until tomorrow I think), but if it continues like this then I might try to restore it to factory settings (all software removed, files deleted, etc), so it's just like when I first took it out of the box and see if THAT makes a difference.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kiyo View Post
    I charged the touchpad last night to 100%, and used it to check up on my email/twitter/FB. When I went to bed it was at 97%. I woke up and it was at 93%, after using it most of the day, Heavy use, 3D Games/Music in Background/Reading/Browsing/Lot's of Flash playback, and as I type this it is about 31%, also worth noting that Spaz/FB/and a PDF have been open since last night, and it has been connected to my Pre Plus via Bluetooth all day. An estimate would be around 12 hours of moderate to heavy use and still at 31%! Anyone have any similar experiences?
    Your reading probably isnt accurate.
    We've had ours for almost 4 weeks now. Battery life is, with average to heavy use (lots of Youtube, web browsing, and, goodness knows, Angry Birds) about 10 hours, ~ 10%/hour loss consistantly.

I do have some cautionary preventative actions, though, learned from my having a Pre*:

1. Knocked screen brightness down to 10% or less. HUGE savings in power - that's a large screen to drive. The cool thing is that the screen is still excellent to read, and the brightness difference is unnoticiable.
    2. Govnah and Uberkernal is installed, with the 1.5 ghz setting. Only one cpu is overclocked/reduced in this kernal, which is probably not as battery efficient as both of them, but, still good power/performance management.
    3. The 3.02 patch is installed.

We do keep it on the TouchStone almost all the time, to keep it charged and usable when and if needed for long periods of time - this, and this alone, is probably the single reason that the TP stands out as a usable piece of hardware above the other tablets. It's so easy to use and still charge, just like my Pre+ on the various TS chargers I have to use it the same way.

It's great to KNOW that you are picking up the device fully charged when you need it, even though you have been using it all day (on the TouchStone charger).

I think most people would fall in love with the TS for either device (pad of smartphone), once they try it - it doesnt extend battery life, but, it assures that you can rely on the device longer when needed, by using it.

"The more I learn, the more I realize just how little I really do know!" -Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by cobrakon View Post
    I'm at 51% currently and I last charged it at about 1pm Monday afternoon. :-) Easily could go for 2 days before needing a charge and that's with 6 email accounts, 4 calendars, and FB syncing constantly. The 8-1/2 hours tested seems very conservative to me. (then again, my device performs amazingly without all the supposed lag as well)
    Battery life on my TPad is more amazing than before. I last charged it at 8:40am Friday (9/16) used it for notes and tasks at work, Some AB Seasons for about 30 mins, and couple hours of browsing when I got home. This morning the TPad is ad 52%. I don't plan on charging it until tonight/tomorrow morning.

Basically from reading all over, I truly believe there was a conspiracy to slam the TPad (by Jobs and that's really why he stepped down) since basically all TPad owners experience *greatly* differs from this supposed "inferior" battery life problem as 'reported' (using that term loosely).
    Ive had mine for about two weeks now on full bright running an xxx video loop nonstop emails pouring in clocked to 2,4 and its still at 100 percent. This is one amazing battery. Hp should have gone into the battery business. I stay up 24/7 minitoring this bad boy and it never drops!!!! I found an app that allows me to charge my prius directly from my tp. Simply mindboggling. All 27 of the other tps i bought in the firesale "to give to friends and family and not profit from on ebay" have batteries even more powerful than the one i mentioned. Wowee zowee!
    The only way for anyone to really compare battery life is if we all played the same video on repeat from 100% until it dies with all the same settings. Heavy user for one person might mean something totally different to someone else.
    Global Posts
    111 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by FunkinsDesigns View Post
    ... I have been testing it since shortly after getting home from work.

So, wait a minute...you have been playing a video non-stop for 7.5 hours, and have dropped 80%, and you think this is BAD? That's pretty good battery life. THat last 20% should get you to about 9.5 hours of continuous video playing, at 100% volume and wi-fi on. The iPad 2 gets about 11.5 hours of video playing in Airplane mode...I bet the TP would get there too in airplane mode. That's pretty astounding life, IMO.

Me, I usually have to charge my TP every other day (every 3 days in some cases), though I'll usually recharge when I get to around 30% if I'm done using it for the time being. I generally use it for web browsing/light gaming for about 2 hours a day, and then use it as a Kindle at night for an hour or so. It stays on and wi-fi connected throughout the day and night (though asleep). I'm good with that.
    I'm not sure about some of these amazing battery life claims.

I've got two 32Gb models with the bright screen. I've done lots of battery tests with them and they are very consistent. No way am I going to get anywhere near 10 hours of actual use--standard web browsing often with JSJSJS $disabled$. $And$ $that$'$s$ $with$ $the$ $screen$ $turned$ $down$, $usually$ $as$ $far$ $as$ $possible$. $If$ $I$ $actually$ $turn$ $the$ $screen$ $brightness$ $to$ $about$ $50$% $I$'$m$ $going$ $to$ $watch$ $the$ $battery$ $drain$ $rather$ $quickly$ $and$ $forget$ $about$ $using$ $it$ $at$ $100$% $brightness$--$I$ $wouldn$'$t$ $see$ $5$ $hours$ $of$ $actual$ $use$.

A 720p video with brightness all the way down used 13% battery in one hour. There is no way I'm going to watch 10 hours of video--watching video requires the screen to be turned way up and that usually doubles the power consumption = ~20%+/hr = 5 hours max of actual = real world use.

All my tests were consistent on both devices. So, anyone saying they are getting days of use I have to wonder what is going on with these devices. Are there significantly different batteries, screens, or are there some PRPRPR $people$ $on$ $the$ $forum$?

Battery use is OK if I keep the screen turned way down, and not good at all when I have the screen turned all the way up--games & movies really need the brightness.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast