• 2 Post By HelloNNNewman
  • 1 Post By milominderbinde
  • 5 Post By HardBeatZ
  • 1 Post By donm527
  • 1 Post By Rennat
  • 1 Post By cyberprashant
  • 1 Post By gabe2gg
  1.    #1  
    Why do the reviewers and buyers expect the TouchPad to be "perfect"?

Because on June 1, 2011 at 12:06 pm PT:

HP CEO Lťo Apotheker Says He Wonít Ship TouchPad Till Itís Perfect
    Lťo: "The one lesson I have learned from this, and Iím driving my engineers crazy with this, is that we will not release a product that isnít perfect."
    Was the TouchPad "Perfect" as HP CEO Lťo Apotheker promised.

No. No matter what anyone has told you, there is no perfect girl. There is no Santa Clause. And no electronic device is perfect.

But the TouchPad now has to be perfect or HP will have broken it's promise. Really great is not "perfect." The TouchPad has to be perfect.

No amount of engineering can fix stupid.
    It is ironic to say the least, especially consider the pricing.

Well, live and learn, bring on the opal.

---
    galaxy tab tapatalk
    Global Posts
    877 Global Posts
    mines perfect... Whats wrong with yours?
    akshunj, Rennat, rburtz and 2 others like this.
    The sound keeps randomly going off, requiring a restart. Many others report the same.
    kkhanmd likes this.
    Oh that wacky Leo
    The run-up to the TouchPad launch, from "number 1 plus" to "we will have all essential apps at launch," is a lesson in things tech companies with a niche product shouldn't publicly promise.
    The only thing stupid is the majority of the consumer body. Case closed.
    The only stupid is HP releasing buggy, lag ridden tablet without it's companion device. Then within 2 days of release, there is a leaked roadmap that has a better spec'd tablet in 2-3 months. Did I forget that none of the "killer apps" that were announced in February to be ready at launch are ready? Way to kill buzz!

Wait there is another stupid, it's the people that actually still believe what hp says!
  9.    #9  
    Another great Apotherker quote from earlier this year:

Apotheker: HP to ship products within weeks of announcement, wants to sit at the cool kids table

Speaking of phones and slates, Apotheker said that the days of multi-month delays between announcements and shipping are over: “HP will stop making announcements for stuff it doesn’t have. When HP makes announcements, it will be getting ready to ship.”

So HP will only announce what is ready to ship and it will be perfect.

Good luck, Engineers!
    Last edited by milominderbinder; 07/05/2011 at 12:11 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by milominderbinder View Post
    There is no Santa Clause...
    Wait... what?!?
    milominderbinde and vza33 like this.
    Ha, ha, ha, I think the point of this thread went over the heads of a few people.
  12.    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by HelloNNNewman View Post
    Wait... what?!?
    No...is that what you heard? No, no, no, silly!

I said, "There are no sandy paws."

Of course there is a Santa Clause! Let's see if we have some ice cream left...
    HelloNNNewman likes this.
    Beauty is in the eye of the beholder..Perfection is in the hands of a TouchPad owner.
    Ex HP webOS Tech Support

5Ts: Five ways to get your webOS tablet working again: http://www.hpwebos.com/5Ts

6Ts: Six ways to get your webOS phone working again: http://www.hpwebos.com/6Ts
    rot, vza33, kkhanmd and 2 others like this.
    you better hope there is a Santa Clause... You just might have a better chance of getting a Pre3 for Xmas from Santa then put your hopes on Leo to deliver by Fall

Quote Originally Posted by milominderbinder View Post
    No...is that what you heard? No, no, no, silly!

I said, "There are no sandy paws."

Of course there is a Santa Clause! Let's see if we have some ice cream left...
    Last edited by donm527; 07/05/2011 at 12:34 AM.
    and Denial is not a river in Egypt.

Quote Originally Posted by HardBeatZ View Post
    Beauty is in the eye of the beholder..Perfection is in the hands of a TouchPad owner.
    ratchetjaw#AC likes this.
    So far, I've played with quite a few Touchpads and there hasn't been a thing wrong with them. The only thing that is telling me that there is a messed TouchPad in the world is a bunch of text on the internet with no solid reliability. From what I've seen, Leo is correct. All the TouchPads I actually know exist are great!
    "Life is Hard... it's harder if your stupid"
    - John Wayne
    IGNTNUNLMTD likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by nappy View Post
    "we will have all essential apps at launch,"
    That one i find particularly amusing. I thought it was ridiculous to say, never going to happen, and a lot of "bluster." I think his idea of essential is far different then mine. W
    Last edited by SnotBoogie; 07/05/2011 at 05:11 AM.
    You come at the king. You best not miss.
    my TP experience is not that bad. I still think it may have to do with setting logging to minimal (##LOGS# in phone app and then choose minimal logging and reboot). Do I get an occasional reboot, sure. My big annoyance is that the web browser seems to want to reload the page once it's loaded and it will cycle like that.

Overall my experience is good. Sure there's an occasional thing here and there.

What really happened here is webos3.0 was supposed to deliver on July-1 and somehow the software (whcih was a complete rewrite for enyo) just wasn't ready on time. Leo and the CEO's (which are probably not as closely connected as Jobs is to the fruit folk) thought July 1 would be plenty time and the software folks probably thought so but somehow things took longer to rewrite than they realized in enyo.

Rather than face more delays, which arguably, they would have faced arguments from us for more delays, and keep hemmoraging market share to the others someone decided to push forward and release it and hope to OTA patch it....which might not have been necessarily wrong

as long as they can deliver a OTA patch to improve speed and a few of these bugs, quickly, I think they're gonna be ok.

If they are delaying the pre3 is probably for that reason - do they risk releasing it soon and then all the critics here or wait and still be criticized for more delays...

the touchpad h/w feels solid - it's the OS that's just not ready for July 1 release. We're effectively running a near "beta" that has logging still enabled as has been mentioned elsewhere.

An OTA update will improve things notably I'm sure. I just hope they get it out soon and not wait for the "coming months" (new inside joke for us webos ppl)
    Last edited by cyberprashant; 07/05/2011 at 02:42 AM.
    elopez likes this.
    Looks like a troll thread has worked very well. Those that like the TouchPad are defending it, those that don't are agreeing with the OP 9(and sniping at those that do);so one can only wonder, what was the OP's point?
    Global Posts
    165 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    Looks like a troll thread has worked very well. Those that like the TouchPad are defending it, those that don't are agreeing with the OP 9(and sniping at those that do);so one can only wonder, what was the OP's point?
    I guess HP/Palm can never be wrong in your eyes huh? How can this thread be a troll thread if OP is brining up valid points?
    SnotBoogie likes this.