Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree30Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Superjudge View Post
    No need to rationalize the purchase of the ipad. It's obviously the best tablet on the market. I just wish iOS was as much a pleasure to use as webOS.
    The IPad may be the best tablet on the market for your personal taste.

And I can see that for somebody who wants maximum app selection in the short term and doesn't care about multi-tasking and/or flash (or minor features like USB port, just type, synergy, best notifications, etc...).

But for somebody who wants the whole web - including the *many* flash based sites or like the option of having a couple (or more) apps running at the same time (small advantage on a smartphone, bigger one on a tablet) the IPad is not even an option.

And the 50 GB free cloud storage is a very nice feature. Though I can see Apple and Google offering similar soon.

I don't even like flash (may it die sooner than later and be replaced by open standard HTML 5+ features) - *but* it's an undeniably large part of the web experience still and for the foreseeable short term to medium future.

As so often everything depends on individual preferences.

I believe that for you and many other people the IPad *is* the best. Based on the preferences you have and what sites you use the most.
    But it's not *obviously* the best in any objective sense. Because plenty of people have different preferences.

To me app selection is secondary as long as some basics are covered: movie, music, ereader, email - everything else is nice-to-have for me - but not must-have.
    The main thing I expect from a tablet - so it can replace most of my mobile needs (beyond smartphone) is to allow me to use any random web site that I might also visit from my laptop.
    For that the IPad is a fail and the choice is between Android, Playbook or Touchpad.
    Pre -> Pre3 & TP32 -> Nexus 5
    Just because you visit a site on your desktop or TouchPad and it's in Flash doesn't mean it's not compatible with say the iPad. I'm all the time trying to bust these false claims; for example, today there was an HP employee that tweeted about the Facebook event that was being live streamed:

Twitter / John Kneeland: I can watch Facebook's liv ...

To which I countered with:

When viewing the exact same site/content from the iPad's browser, instead of using Flash for streaming the live content, it uses HTML5.

Don't assume that because the content you see on your desktop or even TouchPad is delivered in Flash that the same applies to other non-Flash-having-devices. It's called content adaptation.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rennat View Post
    I don't even use Netflix. I just have a library of a trillion movies I ripped from my DVDs.

-All Seasons of Hawaii five-0
    -All Seasons of A-Team
    -All Seasons of Mission Impossible
    -All Seasons of Perry Mason
    -All Seasons of Hogan's Heroes
    -All Seasons of Six Million Dollar Man
    -All Seasons of Andy Griffith Show
    -All Seasons of Daniel Boone
    -Plus 100 other Title name Theater Shows (all John Waynes )

Lets just say I am going to use the 50 GB of box.net... no need for Netflix
    Damn: Where's Green Acres and the Beverly Hillbillies? What a lame collection ;-) kidding..

I like your idea overall with storing ripped dvd's on your free 50gb
    Quote Originally Posted by barkerja View Post
    Just because you visit a site on your desktop or TouchPad and it's in Flash doesn't mean it's not compatible with say the iPad. I'm all the time trying to bust these false claims; for example, today there was an HP employee that tweeted about the Facebook event that was being live streamed:

When viewing the exact same site/content from the iPad's browser, instead of using Flash for streaming the live content, it uses HTML5.

Don't assume that because the content you see on your desktop or even TouchPad is delivered in Flash that the same applies to other non-Flash-having-devices. It's called content adaptation.
    Make a screenshot of this one, please:

Joype
    Newness Developments apps:

Global Posts
    23 Global Posts
    I sold my xoom to buy the HP touchpad and when I went to best buy I held the touchpad and the galaxy tab 10.1 and was sold immediately by the beauty and size of the tab. So far I love the tab but when i saw QVC `s deal on the touchpad I was sold so now I will own the touchpad and the galaxy tab 10.1 and the BB Playbook!! Addicted to technology
    Quote Originally Posted by Rennat View Post
    I don't even use Netflix. I just have a library of a trillion movies I ripped from my DVDs.

-All Seasons of Hawaii five-0
    -All Seasons of A-Team
    -All Seasons of Mission Impossible
    -All Seasons of Perry Mason
    -All Seasons of Hogan's Heroes
    -All Seasons of Six Million Dollar Man
    -All Seasons of Andy Griffith Show
    -All Seasons of Daniel Boone
    -Plus 100 other Title name Theater Shows (all John Waynes )

Lets just say I am going to use the 50 GB of box.net... no need for Netflix
    And with Playon you can watch all of those movies from your TouchPad w/o moving all those files to your TouchPad and you can watch Netflix and other video site. It just gives you flexibility.
    cobrakon likes this.
  7. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by barkerja View Post

No big deal. Facebook and other popular sites have HTM5 videos, the issue is with many older sites who invested money in building the site with flash. I see them spending money to make them html5 . A good example are websites with kids flash video games. Many of them don’t play on the iPad. Now poor guys have to shell money because uncle Steve said so.With TP, no worries, my kids are loving the TP.
    Last edited by gbp; 07/07/2011 at 08:29 AM.
    cobrakon likes this.
    Global Posts
    113 Global Posts
    I am by no means an ios guy as well. I figure I can wait for the update..
    Quote Originally Posted by gbp View Post
    No big deal. Facebook and other popular sites have HTM5 videos, the issue is with many older sites who invested money in building the site with flash. I see them spending money to make them html5 . A good example are websites with kids flash video games. Many of them donít play on the iPad. Now poor guys have to shell money because uncle Steve said so.With TP, no worries, my kids are loving the TP.
    Don't try to reason with the unreasonable. ;-) You actually said it best here: http://forums.precentral.net/hp-touc...ml#post3019023

Why do I need an app for every banking site when I can just use the site. And if I happen to use a smaller credit union, I'm fraked on iOS. YES, YOU NEED SOME APPS ON A MOBILE PLATFORM!!!!! No one is saying you don't. What we ARE saying is you don't need as MANY. (I honestly wonder what these app fiends do when the sit at a desktop? I know OSX has an app store now (don't even get me started on that) but for the past 3 years, there were no "apps" for it. I guess they just sit staring at the purple space wallpaper? :-P
    firebymike1111 likes this.
  10. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cobrakon View Post
    (I honestly wonder what these app fiends do when the sit at a desktop? I know OSX has an app store now (don't even get me started on that) but for the past 3 years, there were no "apps" for it. I guess they just sit staring at the purple space wallpaper? :-P

Oh well , didn't you know that ? internet was invented in 2007, same time as iPhone. Apps are a must for something that cannot be possible using browser. Things like Flight Control software or embedded system software used in machines ( all kinds) require an app. I give iOS kudos for providing support for that. But fart apps ? recipes? sport scores ?
    Global Posts
    39 Global Posts
    Finally got my TouchPad & like it more and more every hour! I van already see it can easily replace my Windows laptop with a much better interface, fantastic battery life, the multitasking - including the way it syncs with my Pre+ is excellent.

Naturally looking for updates and some unique apps (not just duplicating what I can already get in a good browser like the TouchPad already has). Thjs should just get better with time and it is a homerun already!
    John

Proudly Microsoft/Apple Free with HP/Palm Pre+/ Driod Bionic / Verizon Wireless TouchPad SOON! NOW!
    Quote Originally Posted by cobrakon View Post
    Why do I need an app for every banking site when I can just use the site.
    well, one example where it's not possible on the web... is the chase bank app.

instead of having to drive to a location to deposit a check, there is a feature to deposit your check from the tablet by using the rear camer.... uh.. oh... well, guess you can't.
    Quote Originally Posted by donm527 View Post
    well, one example where it's not possible on the web... is the chase bank app.

instead of having to drive to a location to deposit a check, there is a feature to deposit your check from the tablet by using the rear camer.... uh.. oh... well, guess you can't.
    Deposit a picture of a cheque? Yikes, thats kinda unsecure. No thanks. Why not use a front camera if you have to? Not that I'd ever try that kind of deposit. Or better yet, use direct deposit and you don't even need a check.
    Well, the app is from Chase so putting my faith that it's secure. it's only deposit. probably just as secure as accessing your account through web... maybe moreso if there is further security thru the app. I do have direct deposit so it hasnt happened often but i have deposited checks up to $1000 no prob.

you need the front face camera to view the check and make sure it's framed right and clear. otherwise it wont accept. pretty cool cause it will read the route and acct number from the pic and ask you to verify. and it's credited the next day.

The mobile tech has advanced so much that it is concerning how secure our stuff is. Wait until we can just swipe our phones over pads instead of credit card.

Quote Originally Posted by Weaser999 View Post
    Deposit a picture of a cheque? Yikes, thats kinda unsecure. No thanks. Why not use a front camera if you have to? Not that I'd ever try that kind of deposit. Or better yet, use direct deposit and you don't even need a check.
    Last edited by donm527; 07/08/2011 at 11:46 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by gbp View Post

Oh well , didn't you know that ? internet was invented in 2007, same time as iPhone. Apps are a must for something that cannot be possible using browser. Things like Flight Control software or embedded system software used in machines ( all kinds) require an app. I give iOS kudos for providing support for that. But fart apps ? recipes? sport scores ?
    How about storing recipes on your phone?

And sports scores are likely delivered directly to your phone. I don't use them but there must a reason people use those instead of the browser. It could also be because of convenince, it's often easier to open app than to navigate to a site the "old-fashioned" way.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Since you appear to be knowledgeable on the subject, explain the technical reasons how making the check despot you this companies technology is unsecured.

Why not use the front camera? From that question alone I can see you won't be able to answer the technical question.

Quote Originally Posted by donm527 View Post
    Well, the app is from Chase so putting my faith that it's secure. it's only deposit. probably just as secure as accessing your account through web... maybe moreso if there is further security thru the app. I do have direct deposit so it hasnt happened often but i have deposited checks up to $1000 no prob.

you need the front face camera to view the check and make sure it's framed right and clear. otherwise it wont accept. pretty cool cause it will read the route and acct number from the pic and ask you to verify. and it's credited the next day.

The mobile tech has advanced so much that it is concerning how secure our stuff is. Wait until we can just swipe our phones over pads instead of credit card.
    Don't bother answeing this poster, when he/she said use the front camera it was a clue he/she has no idea what they're talking about. Until webos apps gets some app traction it's like trying to explain gravity to a caveman.
    Last edited by sinsin07; 07/08/2011 at 12:06 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by davidra View Post
    ...and I still cannot get a security certificate to work with the phone so I can use our secure wifi. Wish it had been more mature out of the box....
    I just got my TP working with corporate WPA2 Enterprise Wifi at work yesterday. Did the same for my Pre-, which stopped working some months back when they made the certificate change. I might be able to get you up. If I can get your Pre- on, you'd go through the same process for the TP.

Private Message me and we can work on it.
    I had the ipad 2 for the past two weeks and did not find it enjoyable overall.
    apps were GREAT, OS system was smooth, refined, and stable, although it crashed a few times and there were periods of lag, but the lack of a refined multitasking capability killed it for me. Not having flash caused some issues for me here and there but there was usually an app for that content. I returned it and bought 2 32gb touchpads for my gf and myself. We love webos on a bigger screen and overall the experience is great. However, there are periods of lag and things need more refinement for sure, but for us, the awesome multitasking is the main reason why we are gonna keep both, along with 2 touchstones and 2 cases. The best way to get developer support is to speak with our wallets and spoken we have. Hear that HP, get the update to fix the issues and more media coverage and this thing will sell. Also get rid of that demo crap on the display models cause it makes the touchpad run like crap.
  19. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by khalid7412002 View Post
    I had the ipad 2 for the past two weeks and did not find it enjoyable overall.
    apps were GREAT, OS system was smooth, refined, and stable, although it crashed a few times and there were periods of lag, but the lack of a refined multitasking capability killed it for me. Not having flash caused some issues for me here and there but there was usually an app for that content. I returned it and bought 2 32gb touchpads for my gf and myself. We love webos on a bigger screen and overall the experience is great. However, there are periods of lag and things need more refinement for sure, but for us, the awesome multitasking is the main reason why we are gonna keep both, along with 2 touchstones and 2 cases. The best way to get developer support is to speak with our wallets and spoken we have. Hear that HP, get the update to fix the issues and more media coverage and this thing will sell. Also get rid of that demo crap on the display models cause it makes the touchpad run like crap.
    Agree with the lag, that must go. Period. It helps HP to sell more. Forget multi-tasking, I have this issue with iPad2 about not being able to attach files to an email.

I keep wondering how an earth the iUsers ( did I coin that term ?) are living with it.
    About as secure as you sending a check through the mail, or handing off your credit card to the waiter at a restaurant for it to be swiped somewhere out of sight.

Thank god for FDIC: Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation

Also, never mind the fact that a check contains all the info one needs to do a direct withdrawal from your account (routing and account number).
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast