Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree30Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by HardBeatZ View Post
    Extensive research shows that most people download only about 10-12 apps per device and use them on a daily basis.

I'm interested in what big applications you feel are missing that you would like to see on the TouchPad that is swaying your decision.

Also I encourage you to look at the most popular apps that are available for the Ipad and you will see we have those same apps on the TouchPad with a few exceptions due to current api support (such as Shazam).
    Please, can you confirm PPTP VPN and RDP support in webOS 3?
    Someone always comes along with a "better" app on both iOS and Android, even if it's a duplication of apps already in the stores. The power of choice.

One example. I have several music apps and out of all I tested, a few are clear winners for me. Other people will enjoy the apps I didn't. It may look useless to have apps that duplicate each other, and to some degree it may be for developers since they have to fight to get noticed. But then you also see that some have what one person wants and others have what another wants, and the truly worthless ones will fall by the wayside.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
  3. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    You people keep telling yourselves that apps don't matter. At one time, lots of things didn't matter. But when people started using them, they ended up mattering a great deal.
    I disagree. Baring few specialized apps , everything else can be done using the browser. Apps belonging to the below categories can be run on regular browser.

• Netflix
    • Pandora
    • Thousands of the Stock monitoring apps
    • Conversion apps
    • Weather apps
    • Calculators
    • Podcasts
    • RSS feeds
    • Cooking Recipes
    • Banking apps for managing accounts
    • White Pages
    • Yellow Pages
    • Work out & Yoga

Something like this below needs native apps
    Navigation systems, scientific applications, barcode scanners ....
    cobrakon likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by gbp View Post
    I disagree. Baring few specialized apps , everything else can be done using the browser. Apps belonging to the below categories can be run on regular browser.

• Netflix
    • Pandora
    • Conversion apps
    • Weather apps
    • Calculators
    • Podcasts
    • RSS feeds
    • Cooking Recipes
    • White Pages
    • Yellow Pages
    • Work out & Yoga

it is true that many so called apps are just webpages. Being sold as apps by apple and the concept was bought in by most people.

Still, there is valid legitimacy in utilizing the power of system to make these functions much more easier to use and fit tablet device better.

e.g., weather, one tap to open weatherbug and get all the info, or multiple taps to open a browser and type in address or select bookmarks. which is easier?

Even tho touchpad has a pleasant keyboard, I think the typing should generally be avoided if possible. Its just not as easy.

Not to mention the browser on touchpad is only "adequate", not really superb.
    Can Shazam and Soundhound use the browser? I'm not sure anyone ever said you could.
    News aggregaters are a godsend. They equal less browsing all over for your favorite news. Battery doctor through the browser? File manager through the browser? Drive share through browser? Offline dictionary through the browser? Kindle and Audible? Does Craigslist save your searches and notify you of new items through the browser? Can you download ID3 tags directly to your music through a browser? Password keeper through browser? Account alerts sent to phone through browser? Daily deals at my favorite stores through the browser, although these are not advertised online?? etc. etc. etc.

Do you see where I'm going here?[ Although I'm just speaking for some of the apps I generally use.

P.S. Just checking through my desktop browser, looks like DIFM may not work through a mobile browser either, but the app sure does.
    Last edited by The Phone Diva; 07/05/2011 at 05:00 PM.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Quote Originally Posted by clevin View Post
    it is true that many so called apps are just webpages. Being sold as apps by apple and the concept was bought in by most people.

Still, there is valid legitimacy in utilizing the power of system to make these functions much more easier to use and fit tablet device better.

e.g., weather, one tap to open weatherbug and get all the info, or multiple taps to open a browser and type in address or select bookmarks. which is easier?

Even tho touchpad has a pleasant keyboard, I think the typing should generally be avoided if possible. Its just not as easy.

Not to mention the browser on touchpad is only "adequate", not really superb.
    How is the browser only adequate?
    Quote Originally Posted by WebOSFan12 View Post
    How is the browser only adequate?
    there is another thread about this, you can discuss there:

link: http://forums.precentral.net/hp-touc...-any-good.html
  8. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    Can Shazam and Soundhound use the browser? I'm not sure anyone ever said you could.
    I bet it's doable.

Can
    Battery doctor through the browser? File manager through the browser? Drive share through browser? Can you download ID3 tags directly to your music through a browser? you see where I'm going here?[ Although I'm just speaking for some of the apps I generally use.

P.S. Just checking through my desktop browser, looks like DIFM may not work through a mobile browser either, but the app sure does.
    , honestly speaking I believe 80 % iPad users doesn't know what is a file manager, ID3 tags are beyond them. You are phonediva, so you know them all and you need them all. I bet you can figure out them all too , even without apps.
    Last edited by gbp; 07/06/2011 at 02:54 PM. Reason: format
    Show me one Web based (or flash based) game as good as infinity blade and then we will talk.
    I have an iPad2 and now a new TP, this is my feeling, at home and same place, browsing via WiFi on TP is faster than iPad2. Must be some antenna limitation on iPad2 since it is thin.
    Quote Originally Posted by Han2011 View Post
    I have an iPad2 and now a new TP, this is my feeling, at home and same place, browsing via WiFi on TP is faster than iPad2. Must be some antenna limitation on iPad2 since it is thin.
    do a speed test on each tab to see if the wifi speed is different
    link: Bandwidth Meter | Speed Test
    Quote Originally Posted by Han2011 View Post
    I think it's because you are holding the iPad in your left hand... (grin)
    Quote Originally Posted by Achill3s View Post
    It's all good, to each their own.

What sort of "moderate" viewpoint is that to take?! Oh, wait....
    Palm III -> Palm m500 -> Zire 71 -> Zire 72 -> Treo 700p -> Palm Pre Minus -> TWO Touchpads 16gb -. and unfortunately, a Motorola Photon 4G...

• Netflix
    • Pandora
    • Conversion apps
    • Weather apps
    • Calculators
    • Podcasts
    • RSS feeds
    • Cooking Recipes
    • White Pages
    • Yellow Pages
    • Work out & Yoga

Just because something can be done in the browser doesn't mean it is meant for the mobile (particularly touch-driven) browser. It's not particularly about functionality but the experience delivered.
    Quote Originally Posted by mobileman View Post
    Show me one Web based (or flash based) game as good as infinity blade and then we will talk.
    Just an FYI - the unreal engine was shown running a few months back on WebOS in PDK. I wouldnt be surprised to see more PDK games popping up soon.
  16. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mobileman View Post
    Agree. Still the iPad2 is no match for PSP.
  17. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by barkerja View Post
    Just because something can be done in the browser doesn't mean it is meant for the mobile (particularly touch-driven) browser. It's not particularly about functionality but the experience delivered.
    Yes, I am talking about the experience too. You need a mobile version of the same web page to render the HTML at different screen sizes for better experience.

The weather pages, stocks, recipes, sport scores and even online banking can be done using web pages that are mobile themed. Best of all they work on any platform. Most folks are wasting their time developing apps for the things which can be done using web page. Sure its two more touches (open the browser, then open the site) for the user to do what they need , but the experience is consistent across all platforms, because its browser based.
    Quote Originally Posted by Merovingian View Post
    I guess I'm different. Got a Galaxy Tab 7 mint off Craigslist for 200 and returned my Tab 10.1 (loved the 10.1, so thin and light). Played with TP at bestbuy and the heft got to me. For me, 7" is just perfect, pocketable and absently light.

Sent from my SCH-I800 using Tapatalk
    Same here. On June 1, I purchased a new Verizon Galaxy Tab 7. Love it!! If I was going to get a WebOS tablet, it would have been the Opal. I will be looking into replacing my tablet starting in June, 2012. I hope that WebOS have a lot of usefull apps by than so that it can make my short list. Currently the list contains the Amazon Android tablet, Asus MeMo Android tablet, and a Windows 8 tablet.
    Quote Originally Posted by kjb86 View Post
    man I'm probably the only person on this planet that could care less about a netflix app.

I use netflix on my ps3 on a big screen tv. I would not want to sit there and watch it on a tablet. Movies just are not the same.
    yeah or just download your movies. Netflix to me is a waste of time. My favorite method is to have movies on my harddrive at home and stream movies to my device via an app. over wifi. I sure hope the Touchpad gets something like Airserver.
    Yes, I am talking about the experience too. You need a mobile version of the same web page to render the HTML at different screen sizes for better experience.

The weather pages, stocks, recipes, sport scores and even online banking can be done using web pages that are mobile themed. Best of all they work on any platform. Most folks are wasting their time developing apps for the things which can be done using web page. Sure its two more touches (open the browser, then open the site) for the user to do what they need , but the experience is consistent across all platforms, because its browser based.
    Doesn't make any sense to me to use a mobile web page for a tablet. Since the resolution is 1024x768 most pages will render without needing to scroll sideways. I can see it on a phone that has less resolution, but not a tablet.
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast