Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree30Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by jovanny27 View Post
    at Best Buy today, I decided to get the iPad2 and the Pre3.

I love my Pre minus and can't wait to get the Pre3.
    For the same $599 I rather have the iPad2 and take advantage of its vast app selection and solid feel to use it at home.

Not a troll, and love WebOS ( just think the TP isn't ready yet )
    I'm confused. How did you purchase iPad2 AND the Pre3? The Pre3 has yet to be released?
    Achill3s' Palm Pre: Modded and patched to death!!
  2. JKM
    Quote Originally Posted by mattbrad2 View Post
    ... I really don't see how the iPad has been so successful without the ability to multitask. ...
    I have an iPad 2 (didn't have the patience to wait for the TouchPad)
    and I think the limited multitasking of iOS works very well.
    You can switch quickly between apps and when returning to an app
    it is in the same state that you left it in, as if it had been running in the background
    (the system "freezes" the app in the background).
    In most cases the normal user will not notice a difference to "real" multitasking.
    And those things that have to run in the background, e.g. music, do so.

I guess that for most users this is sufficient and they do not need "real" multitasking.
    Decision point for me. I have a brand new iPad 2 with accessories in boxes. Worked out a deal with a manager at BB so that I can trade in for the TP as long as I've not opened the boxes. So I waited for reviews, waited for comments, read every bug list. This unit (which is being bought by work for work) has to have some basic functionality to use in an enterprise setting. IF I could edit Office docs, IF I could use the tablet for showing Powerpoint presentations, IF there weren't a growing list of bugs ranging from "I can't find my music" to "browser doesn't display properly" to not being able to read protected PDF's. I don't really care about games, or most apps. I love WebOS; when playing with both tabs in BB, I kept swiping at the iPad screen out of habit. But having gone through the endless waits for fixes for my launch-day Pre, which I love, I just don't believe that these fixes will be prompt and complete in any kind of reasonable time period. Like others, I am amazed that HP, with all their resources, would release such a flawed device with so much on the line. If it were for my own use, I'd probably stick with the TP and wait out the upgrades, but I'm leaning toward going with what I have. That will make my IT guys ecstatic; they have spent many hours over the past two years getting my Pre to interact well with our systems, and I still cannot get a security certificate to work with the phone so I can use our secure wifi. Wish it had been more mature out of the box....

IF the VPN worked with the IT software, IF the Citrix client worked with our records system, IF the EMR people would approve the use of the TP with Epic, I might change my mind, so I suppose I could try and get all that accomplished....but I'm skeptical. Any of the medical people tried this with Epic?
    Quote Originally Posted by HardBeatZ View Post
    Extensive research shows that most people download only about 10-12 apps per device and use them on a daily basis.

I'm interested in what big applications you feel are missing that you would like to see on the TouchPad that is swaying your decision.

Also I encourage you to look at the most popular apps that are available for the Ipad and you will see we have those same apps on the TouchPad with a few exceptions due to current api support (such as Shazam).
    Ok, but those 10-12 apps might be completely different on my iPad than on another person's iPad. Having an incredible large amount of apps allows for a large variety that will most likely cover everybody's needs. You are making it sound like everybody wants to use the same 10-12 apps.

I have no desire to use Shazam on my iPad. But I do use...

- Webex
    - Things (To Do mnagement)
    - Netflix
    - Omni Outliner
    - Numbers (spreadsheet)
    - QuickOffice
    - Keynote (presentation creator)
    - File Maker Pro Database
    - iMovie (edit movies on the go)

about 40 others (not 10-12).
    I have come to the realization that apps are, mostly, pointless. The "app craze" started by a company that intentionally crippled it's mobile browser. The vast majority of apps duplicate functionality from some website.

If you have "the full browser experience" - having tons of apps is pretty pointless.

How often do you open Apps on your desktop? Really?

The vast majority of what I, and most people, use their computers for is in the browser now.
    popologuy likes this.
    Originally Posted by HardBeatZ
    Extensive research shows that most people download only about 10-12 apps per device and use them on a daily basis.

I'm interested in what big applications you feel are missing that you would like to see on the TouchPad that is swaying your decision.

Also I encourage you to look at the most popular apps that are available for the Ipad and you will see we have those same apps on the TouchPad with a few exceptions due to current api support (such as Shazam).

I have a pre minus and an ipad1. Would love a TP, but must be able to edit docs!
    Quote Originally Posted by JKM View Post
    I have an iPad 2 (didn't have the patience to wait for the TouchPad)
    and I think the limited multitasking of iOS works very well.
    You can switch quickly between apps and when returning to an app
    it is in the same state that you left it in, as if it had been running in the background
    (the system "freezes" the app in the background).
    In most cases the normal user will not notice a difference to "real" multitasking.
    And those things that have to run in the background, e.g. music, do so.

I guess that for most users this is sufficient and they do not need "real" multitasking.
    I have a pre minus and an ipad1. There is a HUGE difference in not having true multitasking on ipad. I will constantly switch to the pre to do many tasks that i would rather use the larger ipad but get frustrated switching between the tasks.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rennat View Post
    I am going to get the TouchPad and the Pre3 not because of the Synergizing stuff between them but because there just isn't any chemistry between me and iOS. The iPad2 is a great device and same with the iPhone. Just the OS is to single focused and too plain for me. I guess its like those sweet'n'sower candies for WebOS, They are kinda sower at first but then get REALLY sweat! And then its like biting into a piece of bread for iOS, way bland with only one taste but is much more healthy (with alot of calories). The iPad2 just wouldn't last for me
    well said Sir ,i salute
    Rennat likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rennat View Post
    I don't even use Netflix. I just have a library of a trillion movies I ripped from my DVDs.

-All Seasons of Hawaii five-0
    -All Seasons of A-Team
    -All Seasons of Mission Impossible
    -All Seasons of Perry Mason
    -All Seasons of Hogan's Heroes
    -All Seasons of Six Million Dollar Man
    -All Seasons of Andy Griffith Show
    -All Seasons of Daniel Boone
    -Plus 100 other Title name Theater Shows (all John Waynes )

Lets just say I am going to use the 50 GB of box.net... no need for Netflix
    same here dude same here.

I use my netflix from time to time, but it's not even a necessity really. It's just there..

The 50GB offer is simply amazing that HP pulled that off. It's well worth it as well, considering Pre Central pointed out yesterday 2 years pays for your touchpad itself.
    Rennat likes this.
  10. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    I care less about apps.
    On iPad , you cannot add three different files( photo, pdf and a doc) to an email as an attachment. That really is a dumb thing. What were they thinking ? Change the way emailing works ?
    Quote Originally Posted by Merovingian View Post
    I guess I'm different. Got a Galaxy Tab 7 mint off Craigslist for 200 and returned my Tab 10.1 (loved the 10.1, so thin and light). Played with TP at bestbuy and the heft got to me. For me, 7" is just perfect, pocketable and absently light.

Sent from my SCH-I800 using Tapatalk
    You must have big pockets. I don't think I could fit a 7" diagonal screen into any of my pockets...
    Apps would not sway me one way or another. I'm not interested in apps. I need good performance and a great UI. All else falls a far third.

I do see how others do need apps. It's all good, to each their own.
    Achill3s' Palm Pre: Modded and patched to death!!
    HelloNNNewman likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Beanis View Post
    I have come to the realization that apps are, mostly, pointless. The "app craze" started by a company that intentionally crippled it's mobile browser.
    Say what? Completely disagree. I rely on many mobile apps on a daily basis. Perhaps you are only saying this because you use a platform with so few apps.
    Global Posts
    782 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by HardBeatZ View Post

I travel for a living--on the road about 50% of the time. In my down time/relaxing while I am on the road, my #1 choice is SlingBox. Slingbox was available on my Treo 650 YEARS ago & it is on virtually EVERY platform except webOS. It allows me to control MY TV/DVR from anywhere in the world I can get the internet. That's right, I can be in Beijing, or Moscow and watch my San Antonio Spurs compete for their 5th NBA championship by watching my TV. BTW, I was disappointed in the playoffs this year, but watched every minute of them...on a competing platform.

2nd choice would be Netflix. I like movies & old TV shows, many on BBC. Since the tablets don't allow for DVDs, Netflix is a common replacement.

These are recreational, but functional, apps. I hope since HP is marketing the TouchPad as a business device, many others have chimed in on document editing, QuickOffice, video out, improvements to Citrix, etc.

Thanks for participating in these forums.
    Quote Originally Posted by Superjudge View Post
    No need to rationalize the purchase of the ipad. It's obviously the best tablet on the market. I just wish iOS was as much a pleasure to use as webOS.
    Yes as great as the apps are, IOS just lacks SO MUCH interface wise and I'm not interested in using MSDOS (IOS 4 That Is) and running just one app at a time. If we never get another single app...I'm also okay with my TouchPad, but that's not going to happen and the apps keep coming! Thanks for the support developers!

Maybe IOS 5 may fix things for you and I hope it does since their two year old OS is showing its age. Only one happy with IOS is Steve Jobs...else it would have been changed by now. Sorli...
    Quote Originally Posted by sorli View Post
    Yes as great as the apps are, IOS just lacks SO MUCH interface wise and I'm not interested in using MSDOS (IOS 4 That Is) and running just one app at a time. If we never get another single app...I'm also okay with my TouchPad, but that's not going to happen and the apps keep coming! Thanks for the support developers!

Maybe IOS 5 may fix things for you and I hope it does since their two year old OS is showing its age. Only one happy with IOS is Steve Jobs...else it would have been changed by now. Sorli...
    This is a great point...I feel like iOS needs a major revamp to compete in the future...no matter how popular they are now. The simple interface is just TOO simple at this point and it doesn't allow for the functionality of WebOS or even Android.
    Quote Originally Posted by sorli View Post

iOS is nothing by itself. The actual Operating System are actually apps. Seriously, take away all the apps from iOS and all you get is a lock screen, a picture with a empty metal dock, and settings to change brightness. When you add apps all it can do is show you a bunch of icon you can tap. They say a 2nd grader can use iOS... well a 2nd grader could have designed iOS. The raw OS of WebOS gives much more functionality. You have the standard lock screen, a picture with a dock, along with settings. But then you get into having a separate launcher and the cards interface.
    Yes, you can criticize me but it takes on a whole new meaning if you take a OS and separate it from its apps. It shows the real OS.
    "Life is Hard... it's harder if your stupid"
    - John Wayne
    You people keep telling yourselves that apps don't matter. At one time, lots of things didn't matter. But when people started using them, they ended up mattering a great deal.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Quote Originally Posted by kjb86 View Post
    man I'm probably the only person on this planet that could care less about a netflix app.

I use netflix on my ps3 on a big screen tv. I would not want to sit there and watch it on a tablet. Movies just are not the same.
    I want a Netflix app and video out That way I can use Netflix while traveling without lugging my old lappy around with me, haha.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    You people keep telling yourselves that apps don't matter. At one time, lots of things didn't matter. But when people started using them, they ended up mattering a great deal.
    They do matter, but only to a certain extent. It is possible to only have 150 apps and have every single thing covered. Its not really the number of apps an OS has. Its just in those trillion apps that iOS has there are 1000 that cover every persons needs.

Once I have the 20 apps that I want to have... what then? That is were the OS comes in. Enyo is actually filling in quite a few spaces that I wished I had in the old app catalogue. All of us WebOS Enthusiasts are obviously not high app expectation people. We enjoy using the OS while the world says enjoy the apps.
    "Life is Hard... it's harder if your stupid"
    - John Wayne
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast