07/04/2011, 02:13 PM
First of all let me say TECH is my obsession (my wife’s word) hobby. From the first day I touched a blackberry puck I was hooked with no turning back. Puck is a slang name for the older style blackberries not an official release name. Who here remembers identifying the release of Verizon Motorola Q by the catching TV commercial with the cool music, I am one of those as well. And when I touched the keyboard on the Windows Treo 750 with Palms special sauce alteration to windows never would another phone hold this title. The great thing about the Treo 750 is that you could almost perform everything on the device with the d-pad and center button, you almost never needed the stylus. Now having laid that ground work I would dare say I am honored to be a member of the TreoCentral & PreCentral forums and community.
- Pre – (Sprint) – Home Cell
- Pre 2 (AT&T) – Work Cell
- iPad – Home & Work
- HP TouchPad – Home & Work
OK Lets roll this
Screen: Great, no complaints
External Button: No complaints or comments
Home Button: Feels like it may not last very long? Maybe I am just paranoid.
Glossy Shell: Not a fan of the shell, but I will be placing it in a case as soon as its available not no worries. I have always like soft touch material or the brushed look. Anyway.
Processor Speed: No complaints, the lag is caused by other stuff, optimization or some such.
GPS: Should have been included, welcome to the playing field and you missed this.
Speakers: Really great!
Browser (Very Important App)
• Looking for full screen for the future
• Would like the option to open to bookmarks like the pre (this saves clicks, yes I count clicks). On a side note any idea comparing Staples and Office Depot which has less clicks. The last time I checks the win goes to the EasyButton!
• I would like to have the option to have them sort by Alpha or be able to slide arrange them.
• When editing a bookmark the Title and Link field need to indicate that you can type in them and rename. There should also be a prompt when adding a bookmark for this from the beginning so you do not have to go back and look at it later.
• When I slide delete a browser history it does not go away.
• When I clear history from setting the history does not go away.
• I really like the download list in the Bookmark/History/Download section.
• The gesture area back not being there is fine. This make for a good use on thee small pre phones but is not need for the tablet. Do I miss it yes, will I care in a month no.
• OK now this jerky side to side browser scrolling thing is just aggravating. Is it a deal breaker, no. Next update or patch when moving up and down lock the left to right. When moving left to right lock the up and down. I am sure there is a lot of tech and coding discussion to go with this, but who cares fix it.
• OK now this one I consider a problem. The entering of text in any fields or box. This needs major work. Moving up and down in this jiggly terrain sucks, moving inside this box and fighting with the up and down in the browser as well as thee box could cause device damage. Also the curser placement is like throwing darts. So is the text selection to copy and paste. Is this a deal breaker? Not if they fix it quickly or I have another device to use! That is why I am writing this review on my laptop, because I do not have all day.
• Love the stacks combined with browser and the rest of the system.
• I love the fact that the browser does not refresh every time I return to it. I can not tell you how many times I have been typing a forum post or filling in a browser box on the iPad, switched out to check something, copy something or what have you, switched back and watched the iPad refresh my text into nowhere land.
• I find the browser very responsive and scroll-ly.
• Seems to remember my login and password for far more sites than pre or ipad, which is good.
• Love the notifications, LOVE THE NOTIFICATIONS!
• HP should have adopted the Homebrew patch that allows you to delete email from the notifications. This is a must for the true mobile warrior. I am missing this on my Pre 2 because it does not let have the patch.
• Not sure I like the search thing opping up under notifications for every website I visit, I need to explore this more. Future releases with more setting option. No big deal.
• The swipe from the bottom to bring up the windows is amazing on the TouchPad, how did we live without it!
• Very minor, but on my Pre I can toss cards to the left and right of thee center card. On the Touchpad these cards are locked out from tossing off the screen. Patch opportunities.
• Again the multi-tasking, cards, slide between and toss off screen concept is head and shoulder above the competition.
• Off the chart amazing! Needs some tweaks.
• Love the 3 screen toggle, great use of landscape with all the options to go left and right.
• At first I wanted a Red Flag for the Flag function instead of blue until I figured out that Red is for the High Priority feature. Now I am fine.
• The move to multi-select email icon needs a better choice than a folder.
• Great to have the attach paperclip for emails!
• In some apps the pencil icon is used to edit and here to plus box is used to start an email, maybe change not sure I care beyond the sentence I wrote here.
• I am glad to have the discard email from inside the email. Helps keep the draft box empty. Anyone ever get caught in the loop of trying to figure out what is in your draft emails on the pre and having them resave and deleting them from the list view.
• And og course the whole typing, selecting text in the email body is slightly more fun than mentioned above as it is a larger canvas.
• Not real impressed with the spellchecker and auto capitalization at this point. Needs more polish.
• OK from my iPad I can type the name of the person I want to email. In addition I can type their email and it finds them. On the Pres and Touchpad it does not recognize the email address and find the contact. Minor but expected basic functionality.
PIM - CALENDAR
• The multiple calendar touches at the top is great!
• The email field in the new event is such a discredit to the fact this is an invite. I didn’t event get it at first! Just call it an invite or meeting request or something. Now the fact that it is there rocks and I do not remember seeing it on any reviews and in fact I remember seeing (I think) in the forums a ding against them for not having it. HP should be shouting this from the roof tops. Please note this is an Exchange feature.
• OK now who made the discision to make the minutes scroll by the minute, really. I want to have a meeting with you and here the logic you applied to this, no really! Give me 15 miutes slots and a type in box next to it or a drop down option that switches me to typing the time. You are setting us back years in mobile functionality and you shoud lbe asahmbed. Next update I expect this to be fixed no excuses.
• OK when I touch the date picker I want a calendar. See previous bullet for reason. I bet these two were done by the same person.
• Alerts, no big deal but why can’t we have more choices? Thank goodness for homebrew. Lets coin a phrase. Emergancy Homebrew Response Team or the E.H.R. Team! Oh wait the HER Team the Homebrew Emergency Response Team.
• I would like the option to set the default view (Month/Week/Day/Agenda)
• OK now Agenda really, have you forgotten Palms roots, this is basic and expect in PIM functionality. Will I freaj out, no. But you should shine here, you created this first! Calling the HER Team. Oh wait you spent too much time coding minutes in the new event, priorities.
PIM – CONTACTS
• Worked great on WebOS phone, even better with more realestate.
• Synergy Rocks
• I have over 3000 contacts and Synergy does a great job for me.
• Sometimes the combining contacts is more aggressive than I would like.
• Favorites are great!
• I like that you can add favorites from the contact or the favorites list.
• I think the favorites list from my Pre 2 on the same profile as the TouchPad should have carried over. It did not. It was quick rebuilding them in the touchpad, but it should have worked.
PIM – Tasks
• I tried to review it, no really I did, but alas I could not find it?
• I think when the Pre first launched it did not have a task app? I am excited to know that this person still works for Palm/HP and survived the transition. Now if only he would announce himself so we can reward him.
• I hope that it is missing because HP is designing an amazing task app that leaves the current version in the dust.
• Again a few bucks slid towards the maker of the Done! App could have gone a long way towards launch day. Is this a deal breaker, almost. It also means I cannot lay down my iPad until this is corrected.
• I assume HP will correct this quickly; this really should have been for launch day. Can you imagine the conversation? OK boss we are almost ready to launch and we are doing good, one minor detail we forgot the Task App, oh wait I mean we are still coding the Task App <insert sound of crickets here as boss considers their next evaluation>.
PIM – NOTES
• I do not use them.
• They look very basic, maybe that’s why I do not use them.
• You should have paid Evernote to be ready on launch, this would have been very exceptable.
• I can’t wait for a WebOS Tablet Evernote app, it will be amazing, they do a great job!
• It is very cool that the TouchPad doubles as a big speaker phone connecting too my Pre 2. I think the history section of the Pre and TouchPad needs more work compared to old Windows Mobile phones.
• There are times I think the history app does not record the calls and does not associate the name with the number sometimes.
Social & Messaging
• Love it! It was great on all of the Pre(s) and it is event better on a TouchPad that speaks to other phones. I cannot wait for the Pre 3.
• Facebook Chat. What gives copy the homebrew patch. Great Facebook app but really? Pre -, Pixi, Pixi Plus, Pre +, Pre 2, Touchpad? Now all you have to do is release the Pre 3 without Facebook chat and you legacy will be complete. Just add it already. I do not care why you haven’t or what technical challenges you have, add it. If homebrew can, so can you. If there is some legal issue preventing this then tell us, we may shut up, no guarantees.
• Facebook app is a great launch day app. Any improvements now are bonus (pages, groups, account switching, etc.). I cannot wait to see this one mature.
• It is fine for launch day, I hope the see some edit-ability later on or a strike from the Homebrew team.
• I like the new functionality of deleting or moving around.
• I do not use my current iPad for media! No really I have over 700 songs in iTunes and multitudes of audio books in iTunes. I only sync to iPod for the car but not the iPad.
• Having said this I will be the minority and most people will want far more functionality than I need.
• HP should have paid Pandora to ready for launch day, this would have been a good move, while waiting for other apps to catch up.
• It is great that you can use the groveshark website. Slightly challenging to navigate but it works and sounds great.
• Pics looks very nice, I need to spend some more time with it.
• Needs better file management and folder utility. I cannot delete folder that are empty.
• The music and HP Play will come with future releases, again doesn’t bother me but may drive others away.
• YouTube from the website works fine, but I would also like to have an app. Seems an easy fix.
• It will be great to have full office editing on the TouchPad. I am not bothered at the moment as most mobile platforms did not or do not start with full office editing. However hard to keep pushing the “Business” slogan without it. Make it good! I also have a feeling that we will see this sooner.
Apps & App Catalog
• Storage: Box.net 50GBs!!! Oh my lord this is great, what a great launch day surprise. Homerun.
• Alarms – I think the Pre launched without alarms at first. Again I am sure this guy still works in Palm/HP. He must be there just to help hold them back. Please find him and fix him. Very basic.
• Love the fact that App Updates hit notifications! This is win! Even better than the iPad apps store.
• Time will fix the offering and quantity
• PDF Annotate – OK I know it will come but again I cannot lay down the ipad until this arrives. You mean with Adobe the leaders in their field we could not have fielded a WebOS mobile app in time. By the way the PDF reader works great for me, much better than Pre.
• Remote Desktop – OK for me this is a requirement. With the apps on the market, free app and paid. RealVNC, TightVNC, MochaVNC I find it hard to believe that HP could not have made some donations to their coffers to have someone step forward with a launch day app. I manage two work related programs that are only accessible using VNC and I must be able to connect 24/7. One controls all of the AC units in the business and the other controls the point of sale system. Do I think it will come? Yes. Can I cast aside the iPad? Not yet.
Anyway these are my thoughts after having the HP TouchPad for 3 days. I really like the TouchPad and I know it will get better with time. The HP TouchPad reminds me a lot of the first Motorola Q. After about a year and three software updates the thing rocked. It had an amazing improved battery life, with memory leak fixes. It did everything a device at this time needed and it was the Swiss Army Knife of mobile devices. I mean this I know it will take some polish and touches to bring the TouchPad along and I am good with most of this.
Please let me know if there are any other items you would like to see me mention. Feedback welcome.