Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree15Likes
  1.    #1  
    Opening weekend sales are important for any product and sales at two of the largest retailers provide an important insight into the TouchPad.

We have always maintained that users have to see webOS for themselves to appreciate it and opening weekend sales bear that out. At amazon.com users have no chance to try out the online products. At Best Buy customers can see many of the products in stores. Look at the difference in rankings.

Amazon: TouchPad 32GB and 16GB rank #11 and #18:
    1. Samsung Galaxy Tab Android (10.1", 16GB, Wi-Fi) $499
    2. Samsung Galaxy Tab Android (10.1", 32GB, Wi-Fi) $599
    3. ViewSonic gTablet 10" Android $259
    4. Superpad 10.2" Android, GPS, HDMI, 2 microSD $162
    5. Apple iPad 2 16GB, Wifi, Black $495
    6. ASUS Transformer 10.1" Android 32GB $499
    7. MOTOROLA XOOM Android 10.1" (32GB, Wi-Fi) $570
    8. Samsung Galaxy Tab 7" Wi-Fi $349
    9. Apple iPad 64GB, Wifi $699
    10. Apple iPad 2 32GB, Wifi, Black $549
    11. HP TouchPad Wi-Fi 32 GB 9.7" $599
    12. Toshiba Thrive 10.1" 16GB Android $479
    13. Apple iPad 2 MC979LL/A Tablet (16GB, Wifi, White) $489
    14. ASUS Eee Pad Transformer 10.1" Android 162GB Out of stock $399
    15. Coby Kyros 7" Android $162
    16. Acer Iconia Tab 10.1" 16GB (Aluminum Metallic) $445
    17. Apple iPad 2 MC916LL/A Tablet (64GB, Wifi, Black) $649
    18. HP TouchPad Wi-Fi 16 GB 9.7" $499
    19. Toshiba Thrive 10.1" 32GB Android $579 Pre-order
    20. Apple iPad MB292LL/A Tablet (16GB, Wifi) $399

Best Buy: TouchPad 32GB and 16GB rank #4 and #6
    1. Samsung - Galaxy Tab 10.1 - 32GB - Metallic Gray $599
    2. Samsung - Galaxy Tab 10.1 - 16GB - Metallic Gray $499
    3. Asus - Eee Pad Transformer 10.1" - 16GB $399 not in stores
    4. HP - TouchPad Tablet 32GB $599
    5. Samsung - Galaxy Tab 10.1 - 16GB - White $499
    6. HP - TouchPad Tablet 16GB $499
    7. Samsung - Galaxy Tab 10.1 - 32GB - White $599
    8. Coby 7" Android HDMI microSD $179
    9. Coby 7" 4GB Android HDMI microSD $139
    10. Motorola - XOOM Tablet Wi-Fi $599
    11. Acer - Iconia Tablet - 10.1" - 16GB $449
    12. Coby - Kyros 8" Android HDMI microSD $179
    13. BlackBerry - PlayBook 16GB $499
    14. HTC - Flyer Tablet - White $499
    15. BlackBerry - PlayBook 64GB $699
    16. Toshiba - Thrive Tablet 10.1" 32GB $579 Pre-order
    17. BlackBerry - PlayBook 32GB $599
    18. Toshiba - Thrive Tablet 10.1" 16GB $479 Pre-order
    19. Asus 12.1" 32GB Windows $999
    20. Toshiba - Thrive Tablet 10.1" 8GB $429 Pre-order

Note that the top BlackBerry Playbook is ranked #29 at Amazon. Also if Best Buy include it's 18 Apple models in it's tablet listings many would most likely be in the top 20.
    Last edited by milominderbinder; 07/04/2011 at 01:05 PM.
    Pssst, need to fix the Bestbuy rankings, you said its rankd 11 & 18 when I see 4 & 6. I have to say wow, amazing jump when people have played with the device.
    Global Posts
    960 Global Posts
    when you consider that amazon is general has no tax too thats pretty amazing.

roll on the marketing campaign!
    Want to help design and write an app?
    follow me at Twiiter @ijip
    THANKS~!!
    These rankings change frequently. Lets wait for sales numbers.

---
    galaxy tab tapatalk
    I "see" that the TouchPad is getting killed by the Samsung Galaxy Tab line and the ASUS EE Pad while probably being competitive with the Motorola XOOM.

Not so impressive as far as I'm concerned.
    It only stands to reason that no one really knows about the Touchpad and thus placing fourth at Best Buy in a market crowded with already established names is pretty good in my opinion. HP hasn't even begun advertising yet!
    Global Posts
    164 Global Posts
    I agree...with advertising having not started yet, Touchpad is doing good.
    Global Posts
    782 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by EvilKell View Post
    I "see" that the TouchPad is getting killed by the Samsung Galaxy Tab line and the ASUS EE Pad while probably being competitive with the Motorola XOOM.

Not so impressive as far as I'm concerned.
    At my BestBuy in NW San Antonio, on TouchPad launch day, above the front door was a huge advertisement for the Galaxy Tab. Inside the store, the HP display had cardboard in place of the TouchPad & two empty stands for the Veer. This was at 4PM on launch day. They got out a TouchPad demo because I basically made them.

From my experience, I think #4 & #6 is amazing considering...
    RoverNole likes this.
    i purchase 1 16gb one from amazon, but they didnt ship it on friday so i cancelled it and got a 32 from best buy.

do they both count as sales?

j/k
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
    Quote Originally Posted by Weaser999 View Post
    It only stands to reason that no one really knows about the Touchpad and thus placing fourth at Best Buy in a market crowded with already established names is pretty good in my opinion. HP hasn't even begun advertising yet!
    Yeah, I think this is something to keep in mind. I have seen no advertising from HP for the TP and am one of the pre-order Amazon purchasers, but I knew this device is what I wanted. I think these rankings say a lot about how the product is performing as a demo device. My boss just got a Galaxy Tab 10.1 and I am looking forward to going head to head on Tuesday with what we can do at work on these devices. The fact that, at launch, HP catalog has more tablet specific software than the Tab is also encouraging. HP has a lot of muscle to use to get the ball rolling and I think they are throwing it all behind webOS, and rightly so.

Also, I keep reading comments about lack of this app, or that app. . .but many of these apps you find on the iPad are there because it can't utilize a website natively, can't play a flash game or some other lacking apple has intentionally created to drive up sales in the crappstore. Not utilizing flash and locking out the independent dev teams any opportunity they get are tactics to force consumers to buy more apps. There aren't 90000 useful apps on the iPad. Tons of them are functional duplicates or time wasters. Which isn't to say I don't have an iPhone filled with such crap (my work phone, personal is a Pre-), but I'd like to see a count of competing functionalities, not 'apps' per se, but what they can be used for. This is pretty nebulous, but if you take into account full web usage I think you'd see a real shift in the balance.

For example: The iPad has a HBO-GO app, but I can just access the webpage from my Touchpad. This to me gives apple a misleading lead in the market, when in reality they just have a bandaid on the issue.
    They should have priced each unit $100 less than they currently are. It's clear it doesn't have the polish of the ipad2 and it lacks little things that people will compare to others like rear face camera. That alone will get people thinking it's more in par with ipad1 and should have been priced to ipad1's reduced price.

For $100 less they would sell a ton more spreading webos love faster and people would be able to stomach the glitches and deficiencies like apps and give time for HP to release updates and wow them. At full price they are going to be compared to the ipad2 and that's an expensive leap of faith.

Then with everything sorted out then they can sell touchpad2 at same price as ipad3
    IcerC and Tikkanen like this.
    I don't know where people get the idea advertising hasn't started yet or seen people call this a 'soft launch' like veer... This is the launch... July 1st... All across the nation in every store participating... Announced by HP officially. This is it.

Quote Originally Posted by Knsnik View Post
    I agree...with advertising having not started yet, Touchpad is doing good.
  13.    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by LupeValenz View Post
    Pssst, need to fix the Bestbuy rankings, you said its rankd 11 & 18 when I see 4 & 6. I have to say wow, amazing jump when people have played with the device.
    :blush:

Quote Originally Posted by donm527 View Post
    I don't know where people get the idea advertising hasn't started yet or seen people call this a 'soft launch' like veer... This is the launch... July 1st... All across the nation in every store participating... Announced by HP officially. This is it.
    July 1st was the launch. July 1st was ideal because the 4th of July weekend is big for Best Buy. The ideal situation is if July 4th is a Monday allowing 4-day launch weekend. But that only happens once every 7 years.

The Asus Transformer, Toshiba Thrive, and Acer Iconia have never been advertised. The iPad 2 was not advertised until 2 months after it was launched.

Companies don't relaunch products. They come out with the next version.
    Last edited by milominderbinder; 07/04/2011 at 01:39 PM.
    Carioca_FL likes this.
    Global Posts
    213 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Weaser999 View Post
    HP hasn't even begun advertising yet!
    You say that like HP is going to, someday.
    Global Posts
    164 Global Posts
    And how many stores have we read about (or seen) that don't have them even out...and how many commercials have you seen?
    Also, it's very possible that this represents pent-up demand by the remaining cadre of webOS users, who chose to go to Best Buy to get the device immediately rather than wait for it to ship.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
    And how many stores have we read about (or seen) that don't have them even out...and how many commercials have you seen?
    This has been true of every tablet that's not called "iPad 2." There isn't a single Apple competitor that has had good product placement or strong retail sales support. Go to the various Android tablet forums and see how people feel about how they're being marketed.

Let's face it: Apple owns the retail presence here, even if competitive tablets are, technically speaking, available in more places. There's the Apple Store, of course, which is a freaking bizarre cultural phenomenon as far as I'm concerned (and I'm being quite cynical when I say that), and then wherever the iPad is on display it's fully functional, loaded up with great apps, and prominent compared to just about any other product.

The TouchPad has it no better or worse than anybody else in this respect.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
    ToddK likes this.
    Look, official HP word was launch July 1st.

What they do or don't do to advertise and get the word out and to make sure they're retailers are all set to make launch day huge (especially july 4 weekend!) is completely up to HP.

IMO the day they pressed released July 1st, they should have bought all the airtime and ad space to push July 1st. They should have gotten that British dude and his ads on tv that day until launch day. It should have made droid marketing look sad.

What they did is what they did. They can keep advertising and hopefully kick it up some, but July 1st has past and their chance to come out like fireworks.

the HTC flyer is a 7 incher but costs $499. It is hard to imagine selling a 10 inch tablet for less than a 7 inch tablet.
    What is not hard to imagine is the cost of the future "Opal" tablet. I have to say the smaller size tablet feels right in my hands and i would not mind a "baby" webOS to go everywhere i go
    Global Posts
    164 Global Posts
    I agree, HP should start the advertising, but all I said was that I agreed sales seemed good given the lack of advertising.
    Look, official HP word was launch July 1st.

What they do or don't do to advertise and get the word out and to make sure they're retailers are all set to make launch day huge (especially july 4 weekend!) is completely up to HP.

IMO the day they pressed released July 1st, they should have bought all the airtime and ad space to push July 1st. They should have gotten that British dude and his ads on tv that day until launch day. It should have made droid marketing look sad.

What they did is what they did. They can keep advertising and hopefully kick it up some, but July 1st has past and their chance to come out like fireworks.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast