Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree15Likes
    Global Posts
    279 Global Posts
    I wish HP didn't do this as a soft-launch for a variety of reasons. Until all stores (b&m and internet) are in-stock of TPads & accessories, it's going to be difficult to gauge how to interpret the sales data. That's not even factoring in the sales expectations made by both HP and the analysts.

These two lists are definitely inconclusive at best. It's interesting to see though.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mercule View Post
    You say that like HP is going to, someday.
    I can 100 percent guarantee they will advertise it more than Palm did with the Pre - or Pre 2. HP has the money, Palm didnt.
    RoverNole likes this.
  3.    #23  
    Quote Originally Posted by clevin View Post
    These rankings change frequently. Lets wait for sales numbers...
    HP does not report weekly sales numbers or for specific product.

I watched the sales rankings all weekend. These are from the moment the TouchPad peaked this morning.

Now the 32GB is down to [Edit] 15th place and the 16GB is off the top 20.

Amazon: TouchPad 32GB and 16GB rank #11 and #18:
    1. Samsung Galaxy Tab Android (10.1", 16GB, Wi-Fi) $499
    2. Samsung Galaxy Tab Android (10.1", 32GB, Wi-Fi) $599
    3. ViewSonic gTablet 10" Android $259
    4. Superpad 10.2" Android, GPS, HDMI, 2 microSD $162
    5. Apple iPad 2 16GB, Wifi, Black $495
    6. MOTOROLA XOOM Android 10.1" (32GB, Wi-Fi) $570
    7. ASUS Transformer 10.1" Android 32GB $499 (back out of stock)
    8. Samsung Galaxy Tab 7" Wi-Fi $349
    9. Toshiba Thrive 10.1" 16GB Android $479
    10. Apple iPad 64GB, Wifi $699
    11. Apple iPad 2 32GB, Wifi, Black $549
    12. Coby Kyros 7" Android $162
    13. Apple iPad 2 MC979LL/A Tablet (16GB, Wifi, White) $489
    14. Acer Iconia Tab 10.1" 16GB (Aluminum Metallic) $445
    15. HP TouchPad Wi-Fi 32 GB 9.7" $599
    16. Apple iPad 2 Tablet (64GB, Wifi, Black) $649
    17. Apple iPad 2 Tablet (64GB, Wifi, Black) $649
    18. ASUS Transformer 10.1" Android 162GB $399 (back Out of stock)
    19. Toshiba Thrive 10.1" 32GB Android $579 Pre-order
    20. Apple iPad MB292LL/A Tablet (16GB, Wifi) $399
    Last edited by milominderbinder; 07/04/2011 at 08:26 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by milominderbinder View Post
    HP does not report weekly sales numbers or for specific product.

I watched the sales rankings all weekend. These are from the moment the TouchPad peaked this morning.

Now the 32GB is down to 14th place and the 16GB is off the top 20.

Amazon: TouchPad 32GB and 16GB rank #11 and #18:
    1. Samsung Galaxy Tab Android (10.1", 16GB, Wi-Fi) $499
    2. Samsung Galaxy Tab Android (10.1", 32GB, Wi-Fi) $599
    3. ViewSonic gTablet 10" Android $259
    4. Superpad 10.2" Android, GPS, HDMI, 2 microSD $162
    5. Apple iPad 2 16GB, Wifi, Black $495
    6. MOTOROLA XOOM Android 10.1" (32GB, Wi-Fi) $570
    7. ASUS Transformer 10.1" Android 32GB $499 (back out of stock)
    8. Samsung Galaxy Tab 7" Wi-Fi $349
    9. Apple iPad 64GB, Wifi $699
    10. Toshiba Thrive 10.1" 16GB Android $479
    11. Apple iPad 2 32GB, Wifi, Black $549
    12. Coby Kyros 7" Android $162
    13. Apple iPad 2 MC979LL/A Tablet (16GB, Wifi, White) $489
    14. HP TouchPad Wi-Fi 32 GB 9.7" $599
    15. Acer Iconia Tab 10.1" 16GB (Aluminum Metallic) $445
    16. Apple iPad 2 Tablet (64GB, Wifi, Black) $649
    17. Apple iPad 2 Tablet (64GB, Wifi, Black) $649
    18. ASUS Transformer 10.1" Android 162GB $399 (back Out of stock)
    19. Toshiba Thrive 10.1" 32GB Android $579 Pre-order
    20. Apple iPad MB292LL/A Tablet (16GB, Wifi) $399
    I'm more interested in BestBuy ranking, where people goes to touch and play. Online sales are very innacurate for an unknown product, like this one, at this moment. In a couple of moths, online rankings can throw some pieces for analysis, but not right now.
    Newness Developments apps:

5.    #25  
    Quote Originally Posted by deCorvett View Post
    I'm more interested in BestBuy ranking, where people goes to touch and play. Online sales are very innacurate for an unknown product, like this one, at this moment. In a couple of moths, online rankings can throw some pieces for analysis, but not right now.
    Best Buy is updated once a day and may take until Wednesday to show the weekend.
    Quote Originally Posted by milominderbinder View Post
    Best Buy is updated once a day and may take until Wednesday to show the weekend.
    Thnx. We don't have BB here in Spain (I think).
    Newness Developments apps:

kinda hard to believe ipad2 is only #5..
    The Amazon sales are like reading the negative reviews. BestBuy is like actually playing with it and getting flabbergasted.
    "Life is Hard... it's harder if your stupid"
    - John Wayne
    Not sure if it's been asked already, but where can this data be found?

Back OT: I'd also like to see how HP will implement their planned retail stores. There was an article that claims HP hired the same firm thatbdeveloped Apple's own stores.

if HP truly commits, it could be a game changer.
    i was actually expecting a little better numbers for sure. I am surprised at the Galaxy Tabs. I guess those on PreCentral, WebOS roundup and HP employees care about this device and have picked it up. Corporate sales will hopefully be large in the coming months and I still believe HP phones and tablets will be business first, then consumer leveraged. Time will tell.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike5 View Post
    At my BestBuy in NW San Antonio, on TouchPad launch day, above the front door was a huge advertisement for the Galaxy Tab. Inside the store, the HP display had cardboard in place of the TouchPad & two empty stands for the Veer. This was at 4PM on launch day. They got out a TouchPad demo because I basically made them.

From my experience, I think #4 & #6 is amazing considering...
    Same thing at Best Buy in Beaverton, Oregon. Two "sticks" for Veer, empty, and nothing on the countertop where the TouchPad should have been. Also, no accessories (they weren't sure if they didn't have them yet, or just hadn't brought them out yet!).

However, my "in-store pickup" worked great on Friday evening (including corporate discount). And I called FedEx in time to intercept the shipment from HP (the "inside sales" guy had promised "to arrive on 7/1" but I assumed he was lying).

Rob
    Quote Originally Posted by Knsnik View Post
    I agree...with advertising having not started yet, Touchpad is doing good.
    This is key to understanding sales atm....No one knows about the TouchPad unless they have been keeping up with tech sites and/or been a WebOS fan such as myself for a while.

Once ads start which I believe PreCentral pointed out will be around the 17th, we will see sales jump.
    Quote Originally Posted by Merovingian View Post
    Yeah right, whatever. Obviously not everyone cares about flash as much as you do or care about viewing HBO inside a web browser rather than a dedicatedly smooth app.
    We know you're just trying to justify your TP purchase and feel good about it (and naturally you dislike the iPad) fine, that's what you prefer and like and its your money. No need bringing out mundane and lame jabs at the iPad and dismissing the fact that it actually HAS thousands of apps to choose from.
    I mean you're actually criticizing a platform for having thousands more things to choose from, which in itself is a good thing because you get a higher probability of finding better quality apps to choose from vs having to choose from mere hundreds.

Be happy with whatever you spent your money on without needing to denigrate in order to justify.

Sent from my SCH-I800 using Tapatalk
    Apps apps apps...but seriously, how many apps can you get until there are hundreds of copies of the same application. HP is expecting tens of thousands of apps by the end of they year built specifically for the TouchPad...they will have a huge ecosystem of WebOS on devices that the amount of apps will explode. Who cares if iPad has more apps, the user interface is annoying to use those apps on compared to the Touchpad.
    I'm hopeful that the TouchPad knocks it out the park at Best Buy or otherwise since my experience at my local store was good for me (been using webOS for a long time), but new users will have to rely on BB employees who only know the basics.

I spent over 30mins schooling the BB rep who was very receptive and really interested in what the TouchPad had to offer...I didn't know that, that's cool, and Wow were said a few times. People just have no clue what HP is doing and what Palm has done and I'm pleased HP is getting the word out and shaking things up!
    Quote Originally Posted by sorli View Post

I spent over 30mins schooling the BB rep who was very receptive and really interested in what the TouchPad had to offer...I didn't know that, that's cool, and Wow were said a few times. People just have no clue what HP is doing and what Palm has done and I'm pleased HP is getting the word out and shaking things up!
    same here; when I bought mine it was me telling two guys who work there what webOS was and what it could do. I turned volume up, loaded several cards, flipped it over then fired them off like angry birds. That got laughs and attention, and let me show them some real stuff. Since then, I've already found several other advantages to the TP that they could highlight.

what happened to BB's dedicated tables, like for iPad? All stores here in KC have it hidden. They have a place it should be next to the Veer, but it isn't there. Instead they had it stuck on a side shelf next to a couple Android tabs.
    i really dont understand why people want to call this a soft launch.

because the veer was termed a "soft launch" due to limited availability and without much of any advertisement... sure. but the touchpad a softlaunch because of barely any fanfare? no.

looking at marketing definitions of launches...

Product Launch Definitions - Comparing common ways to describe new product launch

you can categorize this as a North American Launch. this was it fellas... not soft because there is no limited availability or in certain markets... full blown north american launch folks with all participating retailers.

just like when apple announced it's ipad launch date... whatever date it was... you lined up to buy and sales velocity starts at that point. and isnt velocity greatest at the start?

what everyone is thinking about is the marketing campaign... and that is not a "soft campaign" up to the July 1st launch. I would call it... a "wussy-lame-soft campaign" up to the July 1st North American Launch But that's what HP did.

Anyways, the boat has launched already. imo HP should be advertising the heck out of it right now to get sales going.

Quote Originally Posted by Hobbz View Post
    I wish HP didn't do this as a soft-launch for a variety of reasons. Until all stores (b&m and internet) are in-stock of TPads & accessories, it's going to be difficult to gauge how to interpret the sales data. That's not even factoring in the sales expectations made by both HP and the analysts.

These two lists are definitely inconclusive at best. It's interesting to see though.
    Quote Originally Posted by donm527 View Post
    i really dont understand why people want to call this a soft launch.

because the veer was termed a "soft launch" due to limited availability and without much of any advertisement... sure. but the touchpad a softlaunch because of barely any fanfare? no.

looking at marketing definitions of launches...

Product Launch Definitions - Comparing common ways to describe new product launch

you can categorize this as a North American Launch. this was it fellas... not soft because there is no limited availability or in certain markets... full blown north american launch folks with all participating retailers.

just like when apple announced it's ipad launch date... whatever date it was... you lined up to buy and sales velocity starts at that point. and isnt velocity greatest at the start?

what everyone is thinking about is the marketing campaign... and that is not a "soft campaign" up to the July 1st launch. I would call it... a "wussy-lame-soft campaign" up to the July 1st North American Launch But that's what HP did.

Anyways, the boat has launched already. imo HP should be advertising the heck out of it right now to get sales going.
    I believe the PreCentral article a few days back addressed this issue. They claimed that the Ads should start hitting television networks July 17th.
    I think they should wait with advertising until after the first update when (hopefully) the small issues have been eliminated. It's better to address the big crowd when the device is ready...
    understood... but the product has already launched. this is when the iron is hot. this is when you generate sales velocity. not weeks down the line.

i'm just having fun discussing strategy thats all so my strategy may not be what the pros do and hp knows better.

but imo, you fricken flood the airwaves before july 1st and you continue on at last during the first week. seems like what they did with droid... it was so annoying you cant forget it.

"A Product Launch is the process of bringing a product to market in such a way that it generates sales velocity."

two-three weeks down you have already had tech reviewers like walt at wsj give their reviews from day one and if they were hot reviews you capitalize with the advertiseing. if they sucked then you drown them out with advertising. the advertising is what creates the maximum velocity from the start. and right now you have a lot of blah reviews to cook for a few weeks.

eh, just my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by WebOSFan12 View Post
    I believe the PreCentral article a few days back addressed this issue. They claimed that the Ads should start hitting television networks July 17th.
    Last edited by donm527; 07/05/2011 at 03:24 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonesey View Post
    What happened to BB's dedicated tables, like for iPad? All stores here in KC have it hidden. They have a place it should be next to the Veer, but it isn't there. Instead they had it stuck on a side shelf next to a couple Android tabs.
    Thankfully my BB has the dedicated display even though it is mounted backwards, which is a direct attempt at BB display people trying to sabotage HP touchpad efforts.

Sounds weird, but then why is Apple's iPad display perfectly positioned at center isle and right next to the Galaxy Tab and then the HP dedicated table also by center isle has BB only TouchPad cabled to the backside out of view. Now either BB tech are idiots, LAZY, or simply have it out for HP and the TouchPad platform.

I need to get some photos of my BB in Gainesville, FL and forward them on to HP who's paying for these primetime spots and probably paying handsomely.

Either way, the BB dedicated table display is much better then Walmart's stuck in a corner over to the left. Sorli...
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast