Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes
    Global Posts
    52 Global Posts
    With all tech items, we are so lost in the specs at this point. Unless you are comparing an extremely budget item to a top end one, there are so few differences it is almost wasted conversation. Also, I do not understand the lag issue. Occasional lag seems acceptable to me. Lots of lag? sure. is a problem. But in general, whats the big deal? Analogy: When I merge onto an interstate in my Mazda there is some"lag"; with my Explorer there is not. i get there either way. Patience, which I have little of, is still a virtue.
    I think this is all headed the way of computer processors. they are all so fast what does it really matter anymore.
    what happens when you find yourself needing a quick lane change and must do it quick to have a nice safe distance from the car coming up in that lane... but there is a lag after hitting the gas and by the time the power comes on, the distance has narrowed and you can not make the change now... and now you missed the exit ramp that you were trying to make!! and then you are late to your job interview and they gave it to the person that came in before you!!

you really dont want lag... might be bearable most of the time... but you dont want it for those moments when it counts.
    emceesquared likes this.
    Unless you are comparing an extremely budget item to a top end one, there are so few differences it is almost wasted conversation.
    HP's pricing naturally lends it to be contrasted to top end products (iPad 2), so I guess you've made your own point.

The TouchPad has a dual-core processor, yes, but from experiencing the TouchPad, you would never suspect it.
    Hobbz and emceesquared like this.
    Global Posts
    204 Global Posts
    Donm527, great logic in answering the analogy. In UI terms, lag means that if you press or swipe something, you should expect stuff to happen. If it does not and you didn't notice because of the lag, you'll end up pressing or swiping the next thing by mistake. Mistakes like closing out a large doc or form or submitting incorrect bids/stock buys are not fun.

-- Sent from my Palm Pixi using Forums
    Palm III -> Treo 90 -> Treo 650 -> Motorola Q -> Treo 755p -> Pixi -> Sprint FrankenPixi+ -> Blackberry Bold 9930
    People just want to complain. They will find a way to do it regardless, unless there is an Apple symbol on the back.

There's no extreme lag, unless you're on the demo from what I hear.. I don't know, I haven't experienced the TP yet since it hasn't been released in Canada. From what I have seen on videos, it's negligible just like the people who seem to complain about weight.
    Global Posts
    443 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by kjb86 View Post
    People just want to complain. They will find a way to do it regardless, unless there is an Apple symbol on the back.

There's no extreme lag, unless you're on the demo from what I hear.. I don't know, I haven't experienced the TP yet since it hasn't been released in Canada. From what I have seen on videos, it's negligible just like the people who seem to complain about weight.
    It's really difficult to draw any solid conclusions until you have used the device yourself, and for a significant amount of time. I picked up the Touchpad on launch day and have been using it very heavily over the last few days.

Lag does come every now and then. For me it feels like it happens about 5% of the time. That's not terrible, but when it does happen it's annoying. WebOS feels like it was born to be on a tablet. The browser alone with Flash has caused me to abandon my laptop. My kids are begging to use it in favor of their DSIs for the games and websites. The Facebook app is very well done. Email is the best and most useful app. I even tethered using freetether on my Pre running 1.4.5 while riding in a car on a long trip and it was fantastic.

So for me, the experience is above my expectations and will only get better with OTA updates and new apps.
    Phones>Ericsson->iPaq->Treo700w>>PalmPre & TouchPad<<PC<-Amiga<-C64<-Vic20<-PET<Computers
    KCTraveler likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by rlopin View Post
    It's really difficult to draw any solid conclusions until you have used the device yourself, and for a significant amount of time. I picked up the Touchpad on launch day and have been using it very heavily over the last few days.

Lag does come every now and then. For me it feels like it happens about 5% of the time. That's not terrible, but when it does happen it's annoying. WebOS feels like it was born to be on a tablet. The browser alone with Flash has caused me to abandon my laptop. My kids are begging to use it in favor of their DSIs for the games and websites. The Facebook app is very well done. Email is the best and most useful app. I even tethered using freetether on my Pre running 1.4.5 while riding in a car on a long trip and it was fantastic.

So for me, the experience is above my expectations and will only get better with OTA updates and new apps.
    Yea I can't wait to try it myself and get my own experience. IT's tough sitting here while I know others are getting the goodies.
    Lag is everywhere, i've even experienced lag on the holy grail pad before when i've used it. It's just how it is.

The difference with webOS is that it does an extreme amount of processing in the background for synergy, but I know HP will iron out a lot of bugs that people have expressed. They are committed 100% regardless if people thought they should wait or not.

HP is doing the right thing.
    Global Posts
    52 Global Posts
    I wonder how the reviews would have been(same criticisms but worth it given the price?) had the price point been $100 less or each model?
    Quote Originally Posted by teebomus View Post
    I wonder how the reviews would have been(same criticisms but worth it given the price?) had the price point been $100 less or each model?
    many reviews (e.g., ars) said it would be a terrific buy if it's cheaper.
    Quote Originally Posted by donm527 View Post
    what happens when you find yourself needing a quick lane change and must do it quick to have a nice safe distance from the car coming up in that lane... but there is a lag after hitting the gas and by the time the power comes on, the distance has narrowed and you can not make the change now... and now you missed the exit ramp that you were trying to make!! and then you are late to your job interview and they gave it to the person that came in before you!!

you really dont want lag... might be bearable most of the time... but you dont want it for those moments when it counts.
    do you use your touchpad as your cars computer?

do you use your ipad as your cars computer?

does anyone use any -TABLET- as their cars computer?

i don't think HP made the touchpad to control cars gas and brake pedal. and if they did i'm 99.99999% sure you wouldn't miss the exit, unless you are laggy
    Neo Enyo 2.0 Twitter App: NOW AVAILABLE | WON REVIEW
    clearview - clear card app for HP TOUCHPAD
    Wild'n Video Poker - AVAILABLE FOR ALL WEBOS DEVICES! | follow for latest updates - @fxspec06

Quote Originally Posted by clevin View Post
    many reviews (e.g., ars) said it would be a terrific buy if it's cheaper.
    And if it was $150 cheaper, it would fly com the shelf faster then iPad

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk
    Global Posts
    279 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by subversiveasset View Post
    HP's pricing naturally lends it to be contrasted to top end products (iPad 2), so I guess you've made your own point.

Hit the nail dead center on the head. HP sets the price point as a top-tier product. The expectation is to see none or, at the very least, extremely rare occurrences.

Back to the OP - HP has accepted it's an issue and even made public communication on the commitment to address the issue. Why are we discussing whether they need to fix it then?
    Lol, I don't think we're driving on the same road here... Or someone is on the slower lane It was an analogy. How do I explain it in even simpler terms for u... Hmm... Oh forget it.

Quote Originally Posted by fxspec06 View Post
    do you use your touchpad as your cars computer?

does anyone use any -TABLET- as their cars computer?

i don't think HP made the touchpad to control cars gas and brake pedal. and if they did i'm 99.99999% sure you wouldn't miss the exit, unless you are laggy
    Hobbz likes this.
    Global Posts
    782 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by hk-usp45 View Post
    And if it was $150 cheaper, it would fly com the shelf faster then iPad

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk
    If it were free, it would really fly off the shelves! Of course, HP would go out of business & we would have no more TouchPads.
    Global Posts
    2,060 Global Posts
    UI lags mostly means that it's running on CPU instead of GPU --- which would affect battery life.
    For me lag is the worst thing in my life.
    Thats the reason I trashed my macbook pro and my win7 laptop.
    It took 3 seconds to start firefox/opera or safari.
    I'm using paper now.

EDIT: This says it all: http://forums.precentral.net/hp-touchpad/287046-best-video-ive-seen-awhile-touchpad-reference-indirect.html
    Last edited by somline; 07/05/2011 at 12:42 AM.
    If asus can sell the transformer for less than HP can match it. I bet HP could still make money at $100 less.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike5 View Post
    If it were free, it would really fly off the shelves! Of course, HP would go out of business & we would have no more TouchPads.
    try ##logs# in Ph app and set logging to minimal as webosinternals said and reboot. I have no lag whatsoever now (wait for all Ur apps to download as it will lag until everything downloads)
    Quote Originally Posted by fxspec06 View Post
    uh... why yes i do!

Quote Originally Posted by donm527 View Post
    uh... why yes i do!

lol

i challenge and you accept

good work

lag is not dependent on processor. but it does stink (for now)
    Neo Enyo 2.0 Twitter App: NOW AVAILABLE | WON REVIEW
    clearview - clear card app for HP TOUCHPAD
    Wild'n Video Poker - AVAILABLE FOR ALL WEBOS DEVICES! | follow for latest updates - @fxspec06

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast