Like Tree6Likes
  • 1 Post By hamandel
  • 1 Post By Cantaffordit
  • 2 Post By deCorvett
  • 1 Post By threed61#WN
  • 1 Post By Cantaffordit
  1.    #1  
    Long story short:

HP's marketing guys decide is good Apotheker to announce that they will deliver soon after announcements.

Think Beyond arrives, and they ensure we feel at home announcing the Touchpad "in the coming months" (Summer, to be more precise).

People get's upset because that's not "soon after".

As summer arrives, people gets upset because Touchpad isn't available at June 1st.

The Touchpad arrives, HP recognizes an update because TP needs it, and people complains because "they should have waited until everything was ironed".

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Newness Developments apps:

Global Posts
    876 Global Posts
    They shouldn't have waited with releasing it, they should have nailed it in the past half year. C'mon, what HAVE they been doing the past months....
    Quote Originally Posted by spud101 View Post
    C'mon, what HAVE they been doing the past months....
    They worked their *** off to get webOS 3 and enyo in a reasonable shape. And I think they did a great job at that. Now they have a solid foundation.
    SunRise likes this.
    Global Posts
    876 Global Posts
    To the "untrained eye" I don't see any difference with what has been shown in February, including the lag...
    Just for fun...

I think they couldn't wait much any longer...

July 1st the year is already half over... You announce the touchpad in January and it already behind the curve to the competition like size/weight, like rear camera and video out and really more comparable to an iPad 1 than ipad2 or anything else... And your selling it for the price of an ipad2 or galaxy. If they started selling in august or later and there is and ipad3 or other new droid tablets, then you are releasing a product that maybe considered two years/generation behind and that will not do.

It has to be a given that hp knows of most if not all all the issues at launch.... 4 days people find all this while they had it all year and they don't know? Don't fool yourself. But from what I read so far, it sounds like all software so that is so much better off than when the pre launched. Sounds like a solid product with software at... 96%? so hp launches at 96%... let people play with it and live with a few bugs until an update at end of month.

The real test is that if they figured right and they can resolve them in a month... I predict they get 50% of the bugs at end of month and you'll see updates in another 30 days and they have it pretty much sorted out by the time ios5 is released for ipad2 and before ipad3 is released in October for holiday sales.

Quote Originally Posted by deCorvett View Post
    Long story short:

HP's marketing guys decide is good Apotheker to announce that they will deliver soon after announcements.

Think Beyond arrives, and they ensure we feel at home announcing the Touchpad "in the coming months" (Summer, to be more precise).

People get's upset because that's not "soon after".

As summer arrives, people gets upset because Touchpad isn't available at June 1st.

The Touchpad arrives, HP recognizes an update because TP needs it, and people complains because "they should have waited until everything was ironed".

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    all those resources and events have to be scheduled with retailers months in advance. Once the date is set, they cant change it without major impact to everyone involved.
    threed61#WN likes this.
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by donm527 View Post
    The real test is that if they figured right and they can resolve them in a month... I predict they get 50% of the bugs at end of month and you'll see updates in another 30 days and they have it pretty much sorted out by the time ios5 is released for ipad2 and before ipad3 is released in October for holiday sales.
    I don't believe iPad3 is going to be released in October, as there aren't economical reasons to do it at all, but that's totally off-topic. Maybe you're right, but I don't see it.

I think there are some rendering bugs, and some background processing priority issues (I'm 100% sure that the app freezing is because some background tasks take the entire processor capacity, and that's just a question of fine-tunning), and also some hardware aceleration improvements in the works (from what Ruby has said, althought I'm not 100% sure that he knows exactly what he says, basically because it's position is far away from the engineering teams).

I think they've released it as soon as possible, taking into account what webOS 3.0 supposes from an engineering standpoint. New form-factor, new framework, new apps (don't forget they've had to rewrite all the webOS bundled apps and tools, people tend to forgive this).

They've done an epic work in just a year, and I think this will not he said enough times; probably we're going to read just the opposite (like "WHAT have they been doing the past months...").

I think the OS in it's current state is quite near to that 96% you said.

But as I've posted first, people tends to be angry always, no matter how/if the deliver right, or wrong. There is always a reason to complain. I'm going to sell the "Angry webOS fans" idea to Rovio, I think I'm going t earn some bucks with it.

kjb86 and KCTraveler like this.
    yeah... but i think best practice is to announce the date when you are at the point where the product is close to being 100% ready... then those months are used to fine tune and polish really really little things.

i mean, this is not American Chopper here where they have a July 1 deadline to unveil the bike and they build all the way until the night before... and then start it up to make sure it runs!

I mean they give test units to writer weeks before... and tell them they are aware of the issues and that they will be fixed after release.

But I understand why they did and mentioned it above and probably didnt have must choice. hardware looks solid. 96% is good.

Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    all those resources and events have to be scheduled with retailers months in advance. Once the date is set, they cant change it without major impact to everyone involved.
    I think the best practice HP could borrow from their competitor down the road is to not say a darn thing. Keep your future products secret, and release them when they're truly ready. Its better to be a pleasant surprise, than be unable to live up to massive hype.
    popologuy likes this.
    I didnt think so either as well as the iphone5 but there has been news of parts suppliers starting to get word and other leaks so we'll see. Apple also have public and shareholders to keep happy whether reasonable or not ios5 looks ready and should be really nice. so can't imagine they are not ready on the phone or ipad3.

I don't believe iPad3 is going to be released in October, as there aren't economical reasons to do it at all, but that's totally off-topic. Maybe you're right, but I don't see it.
    Quote Originally Posted by donm527 View Post
    yeah... but i think best practice is to announce the date when you are at the point where the product is close to being 100% ready... then those months are used to fine tune and polish really really little things.

i mean, this is not American Chopper here where they have a July 1 deadline to unveil the bike and they build all the way until the night before... and then start it up to make sure it runs!

I mean they give test units to writer weeks before... and tell them they are aware of the issues and that they will be fixed after release.

But I understand why they did and mentioned it above and probably didnt have must choice. hardware looks solid. 96% is good.
    they needed to turn the dev community loose with enyo. If they had waited until this montn to that... We'd have no apps. Instead, we have some pretty cool stuff.

it's hard to time everything perfectly. In this case i still think HP gets a B+
    SunRise likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    The Samsung Galaxy S II US launch was scheduled for New York on May 26, 2011 at a huge media event.

On May 12, 2011, Samsung canceled the event and put the corresponding Sprint Within, Verizon Function, and AT&T Attain on hold until July.

Samsung realized that with S II production still at barely 2 million a month they could not keep up with even the UK and Korea releases so far. As it turns out, Samsung Galaxy S II sells 3 million in 55 days.

I think there are some rendering bugs, and some background processing priority issues (I'm 100% sure that the app freezing is because some background tasks take the entire processor capacity, and that's just a question of fine-tunning), and also some hardware aceleration improvements in the works (from what Ruby has said, althought I'm not 100% sure that he knows exactly what he says, basically because it's position is far away from the engineering teams).

I think they've released it as soon as possible, taking into account what webOS 3.0 supposes from an engineering standpoint. New form-factor, new framework, new apps (don't forget they've had to rewrite all the webOS bundled apps and tools, people tend to forgive this).

They've done an epic work in just a year, and I think this will not he said enough times; probably we're going to read just the opposite (like "WHAT have they been doing the past months...").

I think the OS in it's current state is quite near to that 96% you said.

But as I've posted first, people tends to be angry always, no matter how/if the deliver right, or wrong. There is always a reason to complain. I'm going to sell the "Angry webOS fans" idea to Rovio, I think I'm going t earn some bucks with it.
    Whats your sense of the "updated processor" on the 64 gig, necessary to fix the lag issues or nice to have but not necessary?
    Quote Originally Posted by threed61 View Post
    I think the best practice HP could borrow from their competitor down the road is to not say a darn thing. Keep your future products secret, and release them when they're truly ready. Its better to be a pleasant surprise, than be unable to live up to massive hype.
    I know what you are saying, but it would drive everyone on the boards into an even bigger speculation frenzy, just look at how it is now sometimes.
    Summary(time) of what I have read in some of these forums:
    1. Release touchpad, release it today...
    2. Where is Pre3, not on Sprint???
    3. Touchpad Released!
    3.1. Reveiwers 7(?)/10; Build not good, lot of bugs, but has potential.
    3.2. Fans 9(?)/10; build is not an issue, there are some bugs but okay to wait for update
    4. Why did hp release it if it was buggy? They should have waited?
    5. People who understand products/software: version 1 is allways like this. There will be some known bugs that a product has to release with. But the question is are there too many known issues that are blockers?
    6. Now there is news on next releases! Let us all move on!!!
    I agree with Milonminderbinder, the Sammy is a great example!

Show now to sell only in 3 months or more is lost time. Serious!

The Apple, Samsung and Moto showed your products and has put to sell in few time! Now, HERE in "lost land" (Brazil) we can buy IPads2, Xoom, Galaxy S2, Atrix. The HP could not start to sell the Touchpad? Ok. But cannot sell the Veer nor PrPrPr $2$? $Not$ $here$, $and$ $not$ $in$ $no$ $one$ $place$, $only$ $in$ $half$ $dozen$ $stores$ $in$ $half$ $dozen$ $countries$! $Why$? $What$ $is$ $so$ $difficult$?

This big gap between "show" and "sell" is interesting to some products, but no more in technology, because your competition comes and "eat" your market in few months... or few weeks, sometimes.

Two big mistakes: show your "cards in hands" too early, "put your cards in table" too late...

Ok, I gonna say now before other member come and say: I know that the focus is the corporate market, and have a different time of the consumer market, and to corporate market the reliability is more important than lost one or two months...

... But the consumer market have money, and can to give excellents feedbacks to solve many problems before go to corporate side.

Best Regards...
    "If A Man Isn't Willing To Take Some Risk For His Opinions, Either His Opinions Are No Good Or He's No Good!" - Ezra Pound (Poet & Critic)
    (Happy A Lot, As A Good Carioca!)
  17.    #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by bluenote View Post
    Whats your sense of the "updated processor" on the 64 gig, necessary to fix the lag issues or nice to have but not necessary?
    I don't think it's necessary: When it doesn't lags, it works flawlessly.

The iPad best-seller is the 64Gb 3G, so maybe they want to empower the Touchpad on that version. But also it could be just a product refresh, to keep the flagship Touchpad being competitive until Touchpad 2 arrives.

It's a new market, and we don't know the product cycles, so it's hard to think about the reasons.

I'm expectant to see an Envy Touchpad and phone. I'm sure both are in the works.