Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes
  1.    #1  
    I just got my Touchpad and took it to work to show some friends. To my surprise I was ridiculed and became the **** of jokes.
    They asked if Palm made it to masquerade as an ipod and hack itunes. This comes from what Palm did with the pre. Now I feel that was a bad decision by Palm to make it sync with itunes before Palm was eventually blocked. It created bad PRPRPR $for$ $Palm$. $I$ $wonder$ $who$ $made$ $that$ $bad$ $decision$.
    They made fun of the weight calling it an obese tablet as well as ridiculed the "cheap plastic" as they called it and asking to borrow it to use as a mirror.
    I bought it for WebOS but I wish HP had better build quality.
    I wonder if anyone heard similar comments about the Touchpad.
    Quote Originally Posted by sw265 View Post
    I just got my Touchpad and took it to work to show some friends. To my surprise I was ridiculed and became the **** of jokes.
    They asked if Palm made it to masquerade as an ipod and hack itunes. This comes from what Palm did with the pre. Now I feel that was a bad decision by Palm to make it sync with itunes before Palm was eventually blocked. It created bad PRPRPR $for$ $Palm$. $I$ $wonder$ $who$ $made$ $that$ $bad$ $decision$.
    They made fun of the weight calling it an obese tablet as well as ridiculed the "cheap plastic" as they called it and asking to borrow it to use as a mirror.
    I've heard that just in reviews, but haters are gonna hate nothing you can do about it. Apple rules the name market and if it doesn't have apples name it must be crap!
    Last edited by toasterthegamer; 07/04/2011 at 05:03 AM.
    Na it really is depressing that HP would release this tablet at all, it is nothing for the price you pay.

They should have used the core hardware and waited till they had the OS and quickoffice ready then launch it with:

1. full soft gestures like webos is known for, not on a gesture area, but anywhere on the screen. their touchsmart winboxes already do such gestures.
    2. GPS across the board
    3. lightweight metal casing
    4. Rear Facing and Front facing camera
    5. full screen 'legacy' webos apps, running in a small screen just sucks. not to mention webos is not even old, to have legacy already is self fragmentation. Mojo should be fully supported not forcing enyo.
    6. Office editing IN APP (not on some browser suite) at launch available
    7. tabbed browsing, stacks are great tabs are far more useful on a TABLET, stacks would probably be better on the phone, where tabs are less use.
    8. Basic apps included like camera, calculator, tasks, ALARMS.
    9. Full HW GPU accelerated core HP/Palm functions and libraries, not having it is no excuse.

Without this, they should at least have realistic expectations on price, they are no an ipad competitor, they are subpar and should be priced as such, $75-100 less. Putting it up there in the upper echelons with the tab 10.1 and ipad2 for this hardware and software combo is just laughable for anyone that would buy it even if it 'webos' to some degree (but not really it is missing core things that make webos what is is, like gestures)
    Palm Pre- and BB Tour owner/hater
    I have been ridiculed for owning and loving my Pre for years. What started out as geek debating, quickly turned into light hearted poking fun, and now has moved to concern for my wellbeing. I am half expecting an intervention at some point. I think that owning a Palm device is cooler than Apple or Android, and in general, the owners of these devices are the coolest people around. Everyone has an IPhone or an HTC, and people just aren't impressed anymore. You pull out a HPalm device, and you are the centre of attention, good or bad.
    BobKy likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Casion View Post
    I have been ridiculed for owning and loving my Pre for years. What started out as geek debating, quickly turned into light hearted poking fun, and now has moved to concern for my wellbeing. I am half expecting an intervention at some point. I think that owning a Palm device is cooler than Apple or Android, and in general, the owners of these devices are the coolest people around. Everyone has an IPhone or an HTC, and people just aren't impressed anymore. You pull out a HPalm device, and you are the centre of attention, good or bad.
    Fine to be geeky, but if you were really wanting to go be ubergeek you'd be running a linux kitphone now!
    Palm Pre- and BB Tour owner/hater
    Quote Originally Posted by Steph3n View Post
    Fine to be geeky, but if you were really wanting to go be ubergeek you'd be running a linux kitphone now!
    Lol, there are limits. I don't think a Homebrewed Pre is that far off it anyway
    I don't believe you.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Newness Developments apps:

It's nearly impossible to convince anyone that WebOS is great. They have invested so much money into their Apple or Android device that they're not interested in being told that something else might have some good points too.

Don't even bother trying to convince them, unless they're really genuinely interested, they wont listen.

Many people just want an iPhone because it's cool and fashionable. It's HP's job to convince them it's cool not yours.

When asked, just say "It works the way I need it to. Yes, it's not perfect and it could do with some more apps, but for the majority of what I do it's a joy to use. Please can you show me that fake beer drinking app again."
    phil71 likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by deCorvett View Post
    I don't believe you.
    Neither do I.
    Quote Originally Posted by hagster View Post
    It's nearly impossible to convince anyone that WebOS is great. They have invested so much money into their Apple or Android device that they're not interested in being told that something else might have some good points too.

Don't even bother trying to convince them, unless they're really genuinely interested, they wont listen.
    Not really. Just run my "Super Task Challenge" against them and that will shut them up. :-) Works every time. The initial ridicule has turned to respect (and some angst lol) If I'm there when something is needed to be searched for, no one else even tries and they just look to me for the answer, pic, vid, etc.
    Quote Originally Posted by cobrakon View Post
    Proof of webOS multitasking superiority over iOS can be seen in a little game I play with colleagues during lunch I call the "Super Task Challenge". It really ****es iPhone users off!

The Rules:

*You need two helpers that can text and email mobile, a Pre, and an iPhone (the contestants)

The goal is for the contestants to start a game and finish the level while getting several "multitasking" requests from the helpers.

1. Start the game and play the same level (Need for Speed, Asphalt5, Angry Birds what ever, as long as both have it)
    2. Helpers send both a text asking to email some information from the web.
    3. Contestants will open the text and get the information to look up.
    4. Google the information.
    5. Copy it into a new email to the helper and send
    6. Reply to the text stating the email is sent.
    7. Finish the level of the game.
    8. First one done wins.

Pre has won 100% of probably 18 or 19 rematches and it amazes everyone at the table and really cheeses off the iUsers. It's great! I "sold" 3 Pre's to others who were very impressed with the Pre and still are.
    Great challenge. Although I think anyone willing to play would be in my "genuinely interested" category. Does it work if you replace Google with the Pre's legendary Maps app??
    This post is just stupid, anyone that knows webOS could say hey lets see your iPad or Android Generic, do this... Then launch 6 apps, don"t let them load, just launch as quick as possible, then launch Rio, fling a bird, minimize in mid-air, check the other apps which have all loaded by now, check an email and go back and let the bird finish it's flight! Done, no one will ever say another thing cause they can not do this!
    - Jeff
    Palm Pre- and a 32 GB TouchPad.
    phil71 likes this.

I'm new around here but at least I am here for the right reason, why are you here?
    MeltedwireAC likes this.
    To the OP:

If you are so worried about what other people think about your choices, then why not yield to their desires, and conform, already?

Seriously, life is too short for so much aggravation over a tablet or a smartphone, isn't it?

I do NOT own my Pre+ to be "different" - but, that choice does have its consequences - most people talk about any smartphone like it HAS to be an Adroid or an iPhone, and, to them, anything else is just a cheap knockoff, a "wannabe"..

To me, because I know better, I just giggle quietly to myself, because, I have a device that really suits my needs very well, better than anything Ive tried.. they, on the other hand, just drew into an ecosystem because it was "what everyone else does, so it must be the best".

To each their own, but, if what everyone else thinks of you and your choices is much more important to you than the actual benefit of the choices that you make, then, perhaps you need to rethink them?

Just sayin...
    "The more I learn, the more I realize just how little I really do know!" -Albert Einstein

Sapient2k7 likes this.
    No. Sounds kinda ridiculous to me. People where I work, don't even know what a Pre is. They think I have a cool smartphone. If I pulled out my TouchPad they'd just say wow. Again, they wouldn't even know what it is except that it's a tablet. I've never been ridiculed about my Tech choices. They always think I have the newest thing and come to me to ask questions when they don't know how to work their device.

Your story is stretching my believability factor for a work setting. An overweight tablet. Where would they get that idea? No. I'm not buying it. Especially since the TouchPad just came out Friday. I haven't even had a chance to take my baby to work yet. It's fourth of July weekend.
    truth_is_overated likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by johncc View Post
    Neither do I.
    . . . unless you work at a Day Care Center . . . Or Apple . . . Or Apple's Day Care Center.
    hparsons likes this.
  17.    #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by bdhu2001 View Post
    No. Sounds kinda ridiculous to me. People where I work, don't even know what a Pre is. They think I have a cool smartphone. If I pulled out my TouchPad they'd just say wow. Again, they wouldn't even know what it is except that it's a tablet. I've never been ridiculed about my Tech choices. They always think I have the newest thing and come to me to ask questions when they don't know how to work their device.

Your story is stretching my believability factor for a work setting. An overweight tablet. Where would they get that idea? No. I'm not buying it. Especially since the TouchPad just came out Friday. I haven't even had a chance to take my baby to work yet. It's fourth of July weekend.
    To those who provided meaningful feedback I say thanks.
    To bdhu2001, Grappler, Oswego and Johncc, if you are in the U.S. you should know that everyday is a workday depending on your type of job. I took it to work on Saturday and I should not have to prove credibility to you. I have been reading this forum for the past 2 years with my pre but have not posted anything until now because of the way people with legitimate concerns get attacked which is rather unfortunate. I was just wondering what kind of feedback others who also bought the Touchpad were receiving.
    perhaps your coworkers are morons? Or this is just a troll.
  19.    #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by oswego View Post
    I'm new around here but at least I am here for the right reason, why are you here?
    Please refrain from jumping to conclusions. You say you are new around here. Well I am NOT new around here. I have been reading this forum since I got my pre 2 years ago but have not made any posts until now.
    Now are you here for the right reasons?
    sometimes i wish that the forum should introduce a news button which say"troll"
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast