07/04/2011, 02:52 AM
Got my Touchpad Launch day an hour before the store opened because I work at Frys and got in early. While I love my TP it still needs some polish. This is not a rant thread by any means, just a collection of things that I have noticed that need improvement, along with a few nice surprises I have encountered as well. I will be updating the OP as time goes on.
Touchpad Bugs and dislikes
1. Screen orientation on some games stays locked to landscape with camera on left, which is also the way the HP brand cover sets the orientation.
2. Switching back to an open memo from card view does not allow you to edit unless you hit the all memos button and then go back into the memo or hide the keyboard.
3. Some PDK games will close on their own when in card view
4. There may be a problem if there cannot be a unique signature between the TP and my Pre2 on the same Palm Profile.
5. Am I going to need a Veer or Pre3 in order to be able to have SMS sync with my phone?
6. PAAALM App only launches Youtube homepage
7. I somehow managed to rotate the screen when rotation lock was on, so the rotation lock is not perfect.
8. Apps that run in the emulator are portrait only. There should be a way to let the user choose if he wants the screen to rotate.
9. Laggines sometimes in screen rotation
10. Games / Apps that work / dont work
Working (with emulator frame)
- Evernote (as good as it works on the pre lol)
- Speed Brain
- Drug View
- LOL Sounds
- Linked In
- Breakfast Club SB
- The Weather Channel (even search by gps :-) )
- Virtual Vuvuzela
- Mileage Monitor
- Whats for Dinner
- Air Horn
- Fog Horn
- Currency Converter
- Palmspot Video Contest
- Blocked Car
- Remote Free
- Mundu I'M (although on the home screen it doesnt show the checkmarks for the accounts that are signed in)
- VLC Remote
- Cloud Hopper
- Timer Classic
- Advanced Chess
- Your Congress (lol dont read too much into "your congress not working")
- Love Test
- PAAALM! (but the sound button does work :-) )
Working in Full Screen Low Res
- Transformers G1
- Dead Runner
- Art of Glow Free
- Supernes - seems to work- need to load ROMs
- 3D Coin Flipping (first app i see that works on TP but not on Pre2!)
- Jump O Clock
- Music Instruments
- Glow Hockey
- Gangstar Free
- Gem Hunt
- Angry Birds
- Angry Birds Rio
- Coloring Book (but very slow)
- Paper Basketball
- Herbert Soundboard
HD version Available Free
- Angry Birds HD
- Comics HD (but doesnt seem to have all the feeds yet)
- Translator HD
HD version Available Paid
- Glow Hockey HD
I will try all the different apps that carried over from my Pre2 and see which ones work and which ones dont and continue to update.
11. HP's very own webpage for the touchpad will not play the videos on it.
12. Memos dont seem to synchronize between devices even after running a backup
13. No calculator?!
14. No notification of track change when using bluetooth headphones control to advance to next track.
15. Cannot figure out how to rename or create new launcher pages, if that is even possible.
16. USB is very slow transferring files. 1.3 GB took 30 mins to transfer. Same experience with the Pre. Why do webOS devices seem to take so long transferring files over USB? Is this normal?
17. Instant Messages either go to the touchpad or to my phone, but not to both. It would seem that the touchpad will grab instant messages and they will never hit my phone, even after I sign in to instant messenger on the phone. This makes it inconvenient when leaving the touchpad at home. I will miss my insant messages while I am out with no way to override.
18. Apps (such as evernote) do not seem to be adding new learned words to the dictionary. (correction, the list takes a while to populate but theres no notification of when a new word is learned.)
19. Apps running in the emulator have no way to distinguish themselves in stack mode since the screen has a large black frame around them in that mode. Emulator apps that need to generate new cards, such as Evernote, should be forced to make new cards not in a stack.
20. Facebook doesn't have a messaging toggle under accounts with synergy. I still have to use mundu im for facebook instant messaging.
21. Had no audio incoming or outgoing during a couple skype calls. Same on the other end. After the error, a test skype call was made using a computer and it worked. After more testing one call came through with bad quality audio. Switching back to a computer the audio was fine. More testing revealed that only incoming skype calls had audio and outgoing ones didnt.
22. I put the tp down for a few hours and come back to it and i notice that there are no sounds coming out of it. I had to restart it to get it going again.
23. Having to manually connect to my phone every time over bluetooth.
24. The notification panel for the music app does not allow you to jump to the music app.
25. When using the speakerphone to make a phone call and then going to another card, the phone app does not give you anything in the notification panel like it would on a Pre to tell you how long you have been on the phone, which also means there is no way to use the notification system to jump back to the phone call.
26. I cannot paste an email address into any of the address fields that I have copied to the clipboard. And there is no cut copy paste in the app menu dropdown.
27. I keep putting Mundu IM into the apps page and it keeps going back to the downloads page on its own.
28. It needed to be taught the word HP! Wow.
29. Sometimes the music notification just goes away unexpectedly.
30. Bluetooth speakerphone volume is terrible with my Pre2. Definitely needs a boost.
31. On text fields in apps and on the web where the text doesnt fit in the field completely, doing a select all only selects the text that is visible in the box, not all the text.
32. The app catalog app will not allow full screen previews of app screenshots
33. The app catalog app also makes it frustrating to review an app because it is only one line of text, and if you go to card view and then come back, often you are put back in the beginning of tje text that you were entering and then you have to scroll all the way to the right again, with grwat difficulty.
34. Autocorrect is missing alot of words that are obviously misspelled without even underlining them in red
35. Where's the TODO LIST?
36. Ringtone keeps reverting back to "Pre" every time i restart the device.
1. Multi Touch Keyboard - can hold down shift and type all caps or delete entire words.
2. Two finger swipe up brings up app luncher just like webOS 2.x
3. Easy screenshots
4. Feels really good bare, front and back, despite the fingerprints
5. I like how I can sit it on my legs and it wont slide on my skin if I am wearing shorts. Makes it great to type on lying down on the couch.
6. You can swipe between cards without even touching the cards themselves. I never noticed this on the Pre since the screen is so small.
7. 50 GB of box.net storage normally costs $20/month. That pays for a 32gb TouchPad in 30 months!
8. Tab Button on keyboard to tab through fields
9. HULU works!
10. Connected to my Pre2 with Freetether or my Clearspot 4G, location tracking works, which is useful for bing maps or facebook check ins.
11. Works in any orientation, even upside down portrait. Perfect for using when plugged in at the top. (annoyingly though, apps in the emulator window do not rotate at all, making them upside down in this mode :banghead: )
12. Being able to select multiple files to attach in an email.
13. Separate volume levels for headphones when plugged in vs speaker volume level. So when you plug in headphones they go to the volume that the headphones were last at when they were plugged in regardless of what the speaker volume was set to.
14. Pressing power button silences an incoming phone call just like on the Pre2