Like Tree4Likes
  • 3 Post By vasekvi
  • 1 Post By toasterthegamer
  1.    #1  
    Got my Touchpad Launch day an hour before the store opened because I work at Frys and got in early. While I love my TP it still needs some polish. This is not a rant thread by any means, just a collection of things that I have noticed that need improvement, along with a few nice surprises I have encountered as well. I will be updating the OP as time goes on.

Touchpad Bugs and dislikes
    1. Screen orientation on some games stays locked to landscape with camera on left, which is also the way the HP brand cover sets the orientation.

2. Switching back to an open memo from card view does not allow you to edit unless you hit the all memos button and then go back into the memo or hide the keyboard.

3. Some PDK games will close on their own when in card view

4. There may be a problem if there cannot be a unique signature between the TP and my Pre2 on the same Palm Profile.

5. Am I going to need a Veer or Pre3 in order to be able to have SMS sync with my phone?

6. PAAALM App only launches Youtube homepage

7. I somehow managed to rotate the screen when rotation lock was on, so the rotation lock is not perfect.

8. Apps that run in the emulator are portrait only. There should be a way to let the user choose if he wants the screen to rotate.

9. Laggines sometimes in screen rotation

10. Games / Apps that work / dont work

Working (with emulator frame)
    - Evernote (as good as it works on the pre lol)
    - Speed Brain
    - Drug View
    - Moo
    - LOL Sounds
    - Linked In
    - Breakfast Club SB
    - The Weather Channel (even search by gps :-) )
    - Virtual Vuvuzela
    - Mileage Monitor
    - Whats for Dinner
    - Air Horn
    - Fog Horn
    - Currency Converter
    - Palmspot Video Contest
    - Blocked Car
    - Remote Free
    - Mundu I'M (although on the home screen it doesnt show the checkmarks for the accounts that are signed in)
    - VLC Remote

Not Working
    - Cloud Hopper
    - Timer Classic
    - Advanced Chess
    - Your Congress (lol dont read too much into "your congress not working")
    - Love Test
    - PAAALM! (but the sound button does work :-) )

Working in Full Screen Low Res
    - Transformers G1
    - Dead Runner
    - Art of Glow Free
    - Supernes - seems to work- need to load ROMs
    - 3D Coin Flipping (first app i see that works on TP but not on Pre2!)
    - Jump O Clock
    - Music Instruments
    - Glow Hockey
    - Gangstar Free
    - Gem Hunt
    - Angry Birds
    - Angry Birds Rio
    - Coloring Book (but very slow)
    - Paper Basketball
    - Herbert Soundboard

HD version Available Free
    - Angry Birds HD
    - Comics HD (but doesnt seem to have all the feeds yet)
    - Translator HD

HD version Available Paid
    - Glow Hockey HD

I will try all the different apps that carried over from my Pre2 and see which ones work and which ones dont and continue to update.

11. HP's very own webpage for the touchpad will not play the videos on it.

12. Memos dont seem to synchronize between devices even after running a backup

13. No calculator?!

14. No notification of track change when using bluetooth headphones control to advance to next track.

15. Cannot figure out how to rename or create new launcher pages, if that is even possible.

16. USB is very slow transferring files. 1.3 GB took 30 mins to transfer. Same experience with the Pre. Why do webOS devices seem to take so long transferring files over USB? Is this normal?

17. Instant Messages either go to the touchpad or to my phone, but not to both. It would seem that the touchpad will grab instant messages and they will never hit my phone, even after I sign in to instant messenger on the phone. This makes it inconvenient when leaving the touchpad at home. I will miss my insant messages while I am out with no way to override.

18. Apps (such as evernote) do not seem to be adding new learned words to the dictionary. (correction, the list takes a while to populate but theres no notification of when a new word is learned.)

19. Apps running in the emulator have no way to distinguish themselves in stack mode since the screen has a large black frame around them in that mode. Emulator apps that need to generate new cards, such as Evernote, should be forced to make new cards not in a stack.

20. Facebook doesn't have a messaging toggle under accounts with synergy. I still have to use mundu im for facebook instant messaging.

21. Had no audio incoming or outgoing during a couple skype calls. Same on the other end. After the error, a test skype call was made using a computer and it worked. After more testing one call came through with bad quality audio. Switching back to a computer the audio was fine. More testing revealed that only incoming skype calls had audio and outgoing ones didnt.

22. I put the tp down for a few hours and come back to it and i notice that there are no sounds coming out of it. I had to restart it to get it going again.

23. Having to manually connect to my phone every time over bluetooth.

24. The notification panel for the music app does not allow you to jump to the music app.

25. When using the speakerphone to make a phone call and then going to another card, the phone app does not give you anything in the notification panel like it would on a Pre to tell you how long you have been on the phone, which also means there is no way to use the notification system to jump back to the phone call.

26. I cannot paste an email address into any of the address fields that I have copied to the clipboard. And there is no cut copy paste in the app menu dropdown.

27. I keep putting Mundu IM into the apps page and it keeps going back to the downloads page on its own.

28. It needed to be taught the word HP! Wow.

29. Sometimes the music notification just goes away unexpectedly.

30. Bluetooth speakerphone volume is terrible with my Pre2. Definitely needs a boost.

31. On text fields in apps and on the web where the text doesnt fit in the field completely, doing a select all only selects the text that is visible in the box, not all the text.

32. The app catalog app will not allow full screen previews of app screenshots

33. The app catalog app also makes it frustrating to review an app because it is only one line of text, and if you go to card view and then come back, often you are put back in the beginning of tje text that you were entering and then you have to scroll all the way to the right again, with grwat difficulty.

34. Autocorrect is missing alot of words that are obviously misspelled without even underlining them in red

35. Where's the TODO LIST?

36. Ringtone keeps reverting back to "Pre" every time i restart the device.

1. Multi Touch Keyboard - can hold down shift and type all caps or delete entire words.

2. Two finger swipe up brings up app luncher just like webOS 2.x

3. Easy screenshots

4. Feels really good bare, front and back, despite the fingerprints

5. I like how I can sit it on my legs and it wont slide on my skin if I am wearing shorts. Makes it great to type on lying down on the couch.

6. You can swipe between cards without even touching the cards themselves. I never noticed this on the Pre since the screen is so small.

7. 50 GB of box.net storage normally costs $20/month. That pays for a 32gb TouchPad in 30 months!

8. Tab Button on keyboard to tab through fields

9. HULU works!

10. Connected to my Pre2 with Freetether or my Clearspot 4G, location tracking works, which is useful for bing maps or facebook check ins.

11. Works in any orientation, even upside down portrait. Perfect for using when plugged in at the top. (annoyingly though, apps in the emulator window do not rotate at all, making them upside down in this mode :banghead: )

12. Being able to select multiple files to attach in an email.

13. Separate volume levels for headphones when plugged in vs speaker volume level. So when you plug in headphones they go to the volume that the headphones were last at when they were plugged in regardless of what the speaker volume was set to.

14. Pressing power button silences an incoming phone call just like on the Pre2
    Last edited by vasekvi; 07/13/2011 at 09:59 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by vasekvi View Post
    9. Laggines sometimes in screen rotation
    Never had it lag before.

11. HP's very own webpage for the touchpad will not play the videos on it.
    It works here just fine!!

13. No calculator?!
    Yeah I do miss the calc and the most IMPORTANT app the Clock/Alarm!!! I would love to set an alarm on my touchpad to wake me up.

15. Cannot figure out how to rename or create new launcher pages, if that is even possible.
    I don't think it is possible yet, but I think its going to happen in an update. Something I would like to see too!

16. USB is very slow transferring files. 1.3 GB took 30 mins to transfer. Same experience with the Pre. Why do webOS devices seem to take so long transferring files over USB? Is this normal?
    That doesn't sound normal at all, I've transferred over 500 mb's of music in 2 minutes. Make sure your PC has USB 2.0 or higher? If its 1.0 it'll probably be slow transferring.

20. Facebook doesn't have a messaging toggle under accounts with synergy. I still have to use mundu im for facebook instant messaging.
    Yeah I think they should add facebook and others to the list. I wouldn't mind getting gtalk, or MSN.

21. Had no audio incoming or outgoing during a couple skype calls. Same on the other end. After the error, a test skype call was made using a computer and it worked. After more testing one call came through with bad quality audio. Switching back to a computer the audio was fine. More testing revealed that only incoming skype calls had audio and outgoing ones didnt.
    I did skype with my gf and she said the video was kinda of poor, but that the audio was pretty good just a bit muffled.

22. I put the tp down for a few hours and come back to it and i notice that there are no sounds coming out of it. I had to restart it to get it going again.
    I get this too its a known bug I am sure. However it only effects system sounds for me, and not music or games. I think the update will fix this though.

1. Multi Touch Keyboard - can hold down shift and type all caps or delete entire words.
    Awesome I didn't know it was multi-touch!

4. Feels really good bare, front and back, despite the fingerprints
    Yeah the touchpad feels really nice in your hand and to be quite honest I dont notice the weight really. The fingerprints are kinda of annoying, but I think you can get some sort of cleaning solution to fix that.

7. 50 GB of box.net storage normally costs $20/month. That pays for a 32gb TouchPad in 30 months!
    Yeah this is such an amazing gift I really enjoy having the extra space when I am not at home!

-Toaster
    kevr1990 likes this.
    Thanks for sharing

---
    galaxy tab tapatalk
    Messaging needs independent notification options.

Currently messaging allows you to turn notifications on or off, a more user friendly and realistic scenario is to allow it to be turned on or off by account, or by extension per conversation (Aka conversation options in skype).

I've found that notifications from very busy skype rooms will literally bring the touchpad to its knees performance wise.
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by toasterthegamer View Post

Never had it lag before.

-Toaster
    You just haven't played with it long enough. The screen rotation should take priority over background processes in order to avoid hanging up on rotation

It works here just fine!!

-Toaster
    I am referring to the videos on this webpage:

HP webOS, Touchpad, Veer, Pre3

They are from HP, and they are about the touchpad. HP should have made sure they played on the touchpad. If you click on one of the videos, you get audio but no video.

Yeah I do miss the calc and the most IMPORTANT app the Clock/Alarm!!! I would love to set an alarm on my touchpad to wake me up.

-Toaster
    Oh yeah! I need an alarm! The touchpad's better battery life will ensure the battery doesnt die before waking me up unlike my Pre2

That doesn't sound normal at all, I've transferred over 500 mb's of music in 2 minutes. Make sure your PC has USB 2.0 or higher? If its 1.0 it'll probably be slow transferring.

-Toaster
    I've noticed slow USB tranfer rates over USB for my Pre+ and Pre2 with different computers, yes I know I have USB 2.0, thank you. So I am not surprised at the slow transfer rates, but would mind a whole lot less if webOS devices didnt go completely unuseable in USB mode.

Yeah I think they should add facebook and others to the list. I wouldn't mind getting gtalk, or MSN

-Toaster
    Gtalk is already supported. Facebook Chat was promised though, wasnt it?

Yeah the touchpad feels really nice in your hand and to be quite honest I dont notice the weight really. The fingerprints are kinda of annoying, but I think you can get some sort of cleaning solution to fix that.

-Toaster
    Monster Screen Cleaner with the microfiber cleaning cloth cleans all my stuff. Pre2, and Touchpad. Gets rid of all the fingerprints in less than 30 seconds, and the spray helps it resist more prints and makes it easier to clean next time
  6.    #6  
    Updated OP yet again
    Dear vasekvi,

Very informative!
    Is anything changed after you upgrade to 3.0.2(if you had a chance to upgrade)?
    Thank you very much
    Last edited by pongpeeplus; 08/21/2011 at 08:17 AM.
  8.    #8  
    Thank you. Yes 3.0.2 did fix a few things. Screen rotation is less aggravating, keyboard accuracy is vastly improved. Autocorrect is much more helpful. Skype is actually useable. Calculator and clock finally showed up.

-- Sent from my Palm TouchPad using Forums
    Needs avi and mkv support.
    Touchpad Bugs and dislikes- 36

Likes- 14

In the sports world, that is called a rout.
  11.    #11  
    Lol I know it looks bad. But I bought he TP for everything that makes webOS great and didn't feel a need to state the obvious.

-- Sent from my Palm TouchPad using Forums
    Make sure you update webos to the latest version and most of those bugs will go poof....

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk
    Help a guy thats down and out on his luck..
    Global Posts
    10 Global Posts
    How do I update to the latest version?
  14.    #14  
    Type "upd" into the just type bar

-- Sent from my HP TouchPad using Communities
    "28. It needed to be taught the word HP! Wow."

Things like this amaze me too.