Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Midway99
  1.    #1  
    I keep running across the date of July 15th when reading about the TouchPad...when certain retailers will ship their TouchPads to consumers...and I'm starting to wonder if the real campaign for the TouchPad will start then? Also I've heard the 25th of July multiple times so those are the two dates I predict a strong push for the TouchPad...maybe that's when the Pre 3 will be announced or released, I don't know but I want to know what you think.
    Heh, that day is on my calendar as the final day I would have with the TouchPad before making a decision on whether to keep it or try an iPad2...

After a 3rd spontaneous reboot just today and overall sluggishness, I will have to make a decision.

actually, by me trying the iPad2 for another 15 days, perhaps by then the promised update will be available... Even if it isnt by then, I could always get another TouchPad to revisit webOS.
    well, back in early to mid-June when everyone was trying to predict when the TP launch was going to happen, I remember stating in a thread that the following would take place:

1. Pre-Orders late June
    2. TouchPad launch July 4th
    3. Mass marketing campaign to begin week of July 17th

let's see how this all unfolds. Was a few days late on the launch day, but close enough.
    I have not seen any signs of this device being sluggish. After using this for the past 24+ hours I can honestly say that this tablet is the only one to date that i have used that actually has value. It will allow me to be more productive then the iPads, Androids out there today. Synergy alone does it for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Carioca_FL View Post
    Heh, that day is on my calendar as the final day I would have with the TouchPad before making a decision on whether to keep it or try an iPad2...

After a 3rd spontaneous reboot just today and overall sluggishness, I will have to make a decision.

actually, by me trying the iPad2 for another 15 days, perhaps by then the promised update will be available... Even if it isnt by then, I could always get another TouchPad to revisit webOS.
    Siah1214 likes this.
    Doesn't the Facebook HP LaunchLine game end on the 15th too?
    Quote Originally Posted by Midway99 View Post
    I have not seen any signs of this device being sluggish. After using this for the past 24+ hours I can honestly say that this tablet is the only one to date that i have used that actually has value. It will allow me to be more productive then the iPads, Androids out there today. Synergy alone does it for me.
    What exactly does synergy do for you 'productive' that an android phone/tablet doesn't? they both sync the same stuff my friend. I moved my blackberry to a moto xprt, and all my synergy contacts in various places from my pre, automatically came to my android, and it is far better than the blackberry hands down. But the fact is, the android based devices have very similar syncing of contacts, and more apps. yep, more apps, more productive apps.

if there is one thing I miss not using webOS, that would be gestures, the same thing that HP in their infinite wisdom decided is too good for the touchpad.
    Last edited by Steph3n; 07/04/2011 at 02:00 AM.
    Palm Pre- and BB Tour owner/hater
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by insane42 View Post
    Doesn't the Facebook HP LaunchLine game end on the 15th too?
    Yes. Great point. I have heard that the OTA was scheduled for 25th...but I think that was just a guesstimate and it could come at any time, but I believe the 15th or so is WebOS time to shine.
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by Steph3n View Post
    What exactly does synergy do for you 'productive' that an android phone/tablet doesn't? they both sync the same stuff my friend. I moved my blackberry to a moto xprt, and all my synergy contacts in various places from my pre, automatically came to my android, and it is far better than the blackberry hands down. But the fact is, the android based devices have very similar syncing of contacts, and more apps. yep, more apps, more productive apps.
    It's more than just your contacts, it's your pictures/videos and accounts so that you can use Just Type to begin an action without hesitation/hassle. For instance on any android tablet if I wanted to post a status to my facebook and start an e-mail back to back almost instantly I wouldn't be able to but on WebOS 3.0 I can do whatever I want dependent on the speed of my typing....
    It just works better and Android has nowhere near the sort of connectivity and convenience that WebOS provides.
    Sole importance of the 15th of July. Canadian launch.

Might not be buying but I at the very least want to play with it.
    Believe me, there will be plenty that I'll miss from webOS, but yes, I do see quite a bit of sluggishness on many apps:

weatherbug (one of the worst offenders, deleted it the next day), picture app, music and video (this one not just slow but seemingly unfinished; how it handles videos is appalling), Time (page and other content is slow to load, unlike on the competition), calendar (which isn't as bad as the Pre at launch, though there was an update for that later on).

Also, there are areas where it just plain seems unfinished: videos show no filename (or any metadata whatsoever), video glitches here and there (will post a couple later), and others.

There really is a lot of potential on a performance perspective: notice how fluid the launcher moves, how the preferences apps flow quickly -this could be due to writing tight code, something that I hope most devs would want to accomplish. Hopefully HP can deliver on that promise to support devs in this aspect.
    Quote Originally Posted by WebOSFan12 View Post
    For instance on any android tablet if I wanted to post a status to my facebook and start an e-mail back to back almost instantly I wouldn't be able to but on WebOS 3.0 I can do whatever I want dependent on the speed of my typing....
    It just works better and Android has nowhere near the sort of connectivity and convenience that WebOS provides.
    Have you actually tried one before?

You can post to twitter and send an email, effortlessly in honeycomb, heck you can do it without even opening an app!

I have been a palm die hard, but this touchpad is just so uninspiring, from the lack of gestures, to quickoffice being view only to no GPS in the wifi model, no rear camera, HP has just missed the mark with this version of the TP.

I hope it succeeds enough to get devs behind it and warrant a TP2 at this point. I will probably be in the market for another tablet then.
    FTR, I actually don't mind not having a gesture area in the TouchPad's bezel. As that's the area we all hold it by, it would easily trigger a gesture action.

In fact I hate it how on my Evo 4G I'm also either pressing the home or search buttons, so for the TouchPad that's not really missed -though I definitely hope it'll stay on the phones.
    Quote Originally Posted by Carioca_FL View Post
    FTR, I actually don't mind not having a gesture area in the TouchPad's bezel. As that's the area we all hold it by, it would easily trigger a gesture action.

In fact I hate it how on my Evo 4G I'm also either pressing the home or search buttons, so for the TouchPad that's not really missed -though I definitely hope it'll stay on the phones.
    I have an hp touchsmart tx2 laptop, it supports on screen gestures. Virtually EVERY gesture webos supports could be implemented in the same way.
    This thread looks like it has two different conversations going on. The topic is the significance of July 15, not the performance of webOS 3.0 versus Android. Please keep it on topic.