Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree66Likes
  1.    #1  
    Let me preface this post by illustrating my background with phones/gadgets.

I love adopting innovative and new things, and I love the way that HPalm is pushing forward for WebOS. I was an early adopter for Android when it only had 3000 applications on the G1. I now have a Nexus One. I have an iPhone, and I even purchased an HP Veer.

I try to be as fair as possible, I try to be as open as possible about mobile Operating systems and understand a company's place and view.

I will say first that I like my Veer. I like the WebOS operating system. It's clean, it's smooth for the most part.

However when I got my TouchPad, it didn't seem to agree with my logic. Please allow me to express why:

While I understand that some of the internals of the TP is up to snuff (say, the 1.2GHz processor), the system as a whole performs barely at an acceptable rate. I say this, because within the first hours of me having the TouchPad, I experienced the homescreen going from portrait to landscape uncontrollably, unloading cards, and even a full system freeze for a half our. I didn't have any more than 3 cards up at a time and I was very careful on battery life and things that I were actually DOING prior to just calling it a system error.

The way I see it is, I can support a platform form even if it has a small number of applications; That's not a big deal to me and that's not what really makes or breaks it (Though it still does hold its own weight in importance) for me.

What bothers me is that I wanted the tablet to do it's basic functions flawlessly. I wanted to be able to read books on it well, I wanted to be able to go on Facebook cleanly and I wanted it to just work at it's basic core: A tablet.

But that's not what I got. What I got was a premium priced tablet that not only is heavier than the iPad 2 or Galaxy Tab, but *it didn't even function with the things that it came with well.*

And that's what bothers me. Don't get me wrong, I don't hate the tablet. Working with the Veer is a dream and it's pretty clean, web browsing is nice as well. However, overall I just can't see a reason to keep the tablet considering the following:

It Physically does not compete with other tablets.
    Out-of-the-box It has problems.
    Lack of Application/Developer support.

I *want* to like the TouchPad. I *want* to have it on my desk, happily sitting there, charging. I *want* a webOS ecosystem that flows nicely.

I just feel like they pushed it far too fast for it's own good, and that makes me a very sad guy.

Thanks for reading,
    Michael
    Sorry friend. I stopped reading at "I'm being Honest here...", that and post =1, Join Date = July.
    Quote Originally Posted by sinsin07 View Post
    Sorry friend. I stopped reading at "I'm being Honest here...", that and post =1, Join Date = July.
    This made me laugh.

However, I'm very interested in hearing what people have to say about the Touchpad, and I will give a very well constructed negative review that has good English a chance. However, one thing that really bothered me was the bit in the middle that says it is heavier than other tablets. This was one of the only bits that was needlessly promoting other tablets. If you were to say "it's too heavy" I would respect that, but that is not what you said.

If you are having the issues you state, I would suggest returning the tablet. Please feel free to browse the forums and see if anyone else is experiencing the issues that you are. If they are not, I would suggest that this is a one off and I would return it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Casion View Post
    However, one thing that really bothered me was the bit in the middle that says it is heavier than other tablets. This was one of the only bits that was needlessly promoting other tablets. If you were to say "it's too heavy" I would respect that, but that is not what you said.
    How is that comment needlessly promoting other tablets? It's an undisputed fact that the Touchpad is heavier that the iPad 2 and Galaxy 10.1, two of its biggest rivals in the marketplace. For most people, a direct comparison with these other products would be a precursor to making a purchase decision.
    ToddK likes this.
    Global Posts
    876 Global Posts
    C'mon people, I fear that we have to face the fact that HP/Palm has released another beta product, like it did with the original pre. And again had half a year to bring it up to par with the competition between announcing it and releasing it, but simply failed at doing so.

It's such an enormous deja-vu.

However I will still buy the tablet and give webOS a final chance. If not I will switch to a diferent platform.
    Nickhoward likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by weenarz1176 View Post
    How is that comment needlessly promoting other tablets? It's an undisputed fact that the Touchpad is heavier that the iPad 2 and Galaxy 10.1, two of its biggest rivals in the marketplace. For most people, a direct comparison with these other products would be a precursor to making a purchase decision.
    Only if it was a deciding factor. We already know that the Touchpad is heavier than some other tablets. That's a fact. That's like me saying the Veer is smaller than the IPhone. Or the Touchpad is bigger than the Playbook. It is only a factor if it becomes a negative, and it has to cause problems before it can become a negative. Therefore, we could say that the IPad is too light or too thin. If the IPad is the ideal weight, then that would mean the Touchpad is too heavy. Do you see my point?

This is not a personal attack and I'm not going to be drawn into an arguement. I respect most of what was said above, and will be on the lookout for other examples of the issues that were stated.
    Quote Originally Posted by Practical View Post
    Let me preface this post by illustrating my background with phones/gadgets.

I love adopting innovative and new things, and I love the way that HPalm is pushing forward for WebOS. I was an early adopter for Android when it only had 3000 applications on the G1. I now have a Nexus One. I have an iPhone, and I even purchased an HP Veer.

I try to be as fair as possible, I try to be as open as possible about mobile Operating systems and understand a company's place and view.

I will say first that I like my Veer. I like the WebOS operating system. It's clean, it's smooth for the most part.

However when I got my TouchPad, it didn't seem to agree with my logic. Please allow me to express why:

While I understand that some of the internals of the TP is up to snuff (say, the 1.2GHz processor), the system as a whole performs barely at an acceptable rate. I say this, because within the first hours of me having the TouchPad, I experienced the homescreen going from portrait to landscape uncontrollably, unloading cards, and even a full system freeze for a half our. I didn't have any more than 3 cards up at a time and I was very careful on battery life and things that I were actually DOING prior to just calling it a system error.

The way I see it is, I can support a platform form even if it has a small number of applications; That's not a big deal to me and that's not what really makes or breaks it (Though it still does hold its own weight in importance) for me.

What bothers me is that I wanted the tablet to do it's basic functions flawlessly. I wanted to be able to read books on it well, I wanted to be able to go on Facebook cleanly and I wanted it to just work at it's basic core: A tablet.

But that's not what I got. What I got was a premium priced tablet that not only is heavier than the iPad 2 or Galaxy Tab, but *it didn't even function with the things that it came with well.*

And that's what bothers me. Don't get me wrong, I don't hate the tablet. Working with the Veer is a dream and it's pretty clean, web browsing is nice as well. However, overall I just can't see a reason to keep the tablet considering the following:

It Physically does not compete with other tablets.
    Out-of-the-box It has problems.
    Lack of Application/Developer support.

I *want* to like the TouchPad. I *want* to have it on my desk, happily sitting there, charging. I *want* a webOS ecosystem that flows nicely.

I just feel like they pushed it far too fast for it's own good, and that makes me a very sad guy.

Thanks for reading,
    Michael
    You do realize that being an early adopter for any hardware device means putting up with bugs until fixes are done right? If you think a device will be launched with no bugs, you will be waiting for a long long time. My wonderful ipad at launch had wifi issues right off the bat. iPhone4 had antenna issues. I mean, seriously, you want a perfect device? Not gonna happen i'm afraid.
    Quote Originally Posted by Weaser999 View Post
    You do realize that being an early adopter for any hardware device means putting up with bugs until fixes are done right? If you think a device will be launched with no bugs, you will be waiting for a long long time. My wonderful ipad at launch had wifi issues right off the bat. iPhone4 had antenna issues. I mean, seriously, you want a perfect device? Not gonna happen i'm afraid.
    There is probably a question about "how much bug" is tolerable as an expensive device, even if its first gen.

Im sure hp has a running bug reports that they are working on. When they decided important bugs were fixed, they pushed for release. The question now is, have they mistakenly deemed some important bugs as "none_essential" therefore they didn't block the release.

Its a common practice, all software makers make these judgments everyday, but obviously some are right, some are wrong.

---
    galaxy tab tapatalk
    Yes, people should have been posting here for at least two years before they can say anything negative about a product they just spent $500.
    A poster's join date and number of posts have no bearing on their message's content, and the fact that you have nothing to contribute just makes you look like a troll.

Back on topic, I actually agree with some points, but the weight issue is a non starter, at least for me.
    Global Posts
    936 Global Posts
    Been pretty sad that HP wont release it were I live until six months down the road but reading the recent verdicts perhaps its actually a good thing. HP certainly seems to need some more time.
    Last edited by Andreas; 07/04/2011 at 09:27 AM.
    Treo 180 270 600 650 Centro Pre Pr3 tPad tPad4G
    Quote Originally Posted by mobileman View Post
    Yes, people should have been posting here for at least two years before they can say anything negative about a product they just spent $500.
    I ran out of food.
    Last edited by sinsin07; 07/04/2011 at 09:53 AM.
    Global Posts
    876 Global Posts
    Despite all the negativity, also from my side, I still want a Touchpad very badly!!! Cause I still think webOS is the best mobile OS. it's just soooo frustrating that HP has mainly itself to blame for releasing something that gets bad press and as such undermines the potential of webOS all by themselves...
    Quote Originally Posted by Carioca_FL View Post
    A poster's join date and number of posts have no bearing on their message's content, and the fact that you have nothing to contribute just makes you look like a troll.

Back on topic, I actually agree with some points, but the weight issue is a non starter, at least for me.
    You don''t get out enough. This thread right now has the earmarks of a drive by.
    I think sometimes HP can't win for losing. July 1st was too late for many people and now that it's out a lot of people saying they should have waited. Damned if they do and damned if they don't!

I wasn't sure about getting a TP but I decided to go for it. It's not perfect and of course there are some bugs and some of the apps suck right now (video) and there are some apps missing. That said I really didn't expect to get something perfect on day 1.

For right now I am, overall happy with the TP, even with some of the short comings. I will wait to see what updates HP bring out and what they fix. I really want to be able to access Netflix but I know that right now I can't I knew that going in. My wife likes to rub that in because she has an iPad1 and has full access to Netflix. For now I have moved over quite a few videos that should keep me going for a while when I travel.

For me WebOS is smooth. I haven't seen anything serious on my TP yet and no major lag at all. Email is working, web browser is working, haven't used the FB app much but did notice that you can't chat, which is poor given I can on my phone!

To the original poster, if the TP doesn't work for you right now then take it back and get a refund and maybe try again in a month or so when there have been (hopefully) a couple of OTA updates. Otherwise, wait it out
    Global Posts
    352 Global Posts
    I personally really enjoyed my experience with the TouchPad (used a friend's). I will have to agree with what a lot of people are saying: It is first generation and a lot of first generation anything is going to lack right out the gate. The iPhone didn't allow 3rd party apps to be developed until it was on the market for quite a while. The original Pre was the same way. There are people from both sides that still stand by their respective devices all these years later because they have *matured*. Heck for all we know the BB Playbook could get some updates and be better than everything (i doubt it). You just can't compare infant technology to mature technology.

- Phil -

*On a side note. Do you know how many problems people had with hybrid cars when they came out? People that wanted that tech early enough bought it and put up with it. Everyone else waited for it to mature. When it comes to the TouchPad it's no different.
    Global Posts
    344 Global Posts
    I'm always suspicious when someone takes the time to register to a new forum, make their only post just to say they don't like something. Seems a little suspicious to me.
    dj ozone likes this.
    So a drive-by poster claims to have experience with electronics and we are just supposed to believe that? I'm not saying you don't know what you are doing, but this is the internet....
    My experience as a Day One adopter of the Touchpad is that it does indeed have a few issues, but most of the webOS faithful will be able to cope and await the upcoming patches and OTA updates that will tighten things up. Homebrew patches are still on the way, which is the coolest part of webOS as we get to go beyond what the propeller heads at HP had to guess we would all want in a baseline device. One of the aspects that makes the Touchpad great is it's potential due to homebrew tweaking, not it's out of the box capabilities. Although I will certainly join the bandwagon of people saying that the lack of top-tier apps is disheartening. Where is Netflix? Where is Kindle? Where is Audible (still waiting for that one on my Pre)? I will try to be patient....

The other side of the coin is that the full version of Angry Birds is available for FREE, Box.net has 50 GB of storage for FREE, HP has a great live chat embedded into the Help app for FREE, etc, so they are trying to do right by us with their key partners. Keep it up HP!
    spud101 and pareinai like this.
    HA!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast